Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Cps membership is a brilliant tool for these cameras, fast turnaround of repair, or they lent me a replacement lens when it was going to take longer to get spares.

Do you have to be a professional to get CPS membership or just own the appropriate number of bodies and lenses...

Do you have to be a professional to get CPS membership or just own the appropriate number of bodies and lenses...

Just own the required qualifying bodies, lenses. To get platinum you need a fair bit of kit but their service is pretty good right thought the levels.

That's about right. I get frustrated with Nikon's service every time I have to use it. Whenever I send a bunch of stuff off for servicing to Nikon and to Canon at the same time, it's not unusual for Canon to be sending it back to me before Nikon have even acknowledged receipt.
Do you find that Canon rectify the issue more often than not? My camera has been in 4 or 5 times for the same fault and still not sorted.

Just own the required qualifying bodies, lenses. To get platinum you need a fair bit of kit but their service is pretty good right thought the levels.

Thanks for this...never knew. Signed up on silver. Let's see :)

Thanks for this...never knew. Signed up on silver. Let's see :)

Same level I have - worth having
Check the other benefits, free sensor clean at major events, I've borrowed a lens at Silverstone F1 before when one of mine developed a fault, plus at the camera shows you sometimes get more. Before the 200-400 was released they let CPS members play with one at the shows.

Also the articles they'll send you can be very interesting

Last edited:
Finally Adobe update LR/PS, Now we can have a good play around with the Raw files on our 5D IV. I don't have Abobe CC so I don't think I got the DPR update so I don't know whats that's like maybe someone here does?

Finally Adobe update LR/PS, Now we can have a good play around with the Raw files on our 5D IV. I don't have Abobe CC so I don't think I got the DPR update so I don't know whats that's like maybe someone here does?
I have CC and the files still aren't working. Says it's all up to date, including camera raw :confused:

Now that I can look at the 12800 ISO studio shots from DP review the 5D4 is better than the 5D3 when downscaled to match, and is comparable to the D750. I know DXO scores the 5D4 slightly better than the D750 but I can't see any difference, but the D750 is excellent in noise handling so Canon have done a good job with the 5D4 in this regard imo.

I'm struggling to convince myself of the need to upgrade from my 5dm3. Rationale is

A) I'm very happy with the results I'm getting and it's a lot of cash

B) Primary use is for stills, not video. The benefit in dynamic range looks to be at low ISO and I have a hassleblad MF with good DR for arty landscape and studio portraits where the extra helps.

C) I don't think I need the extra pixels and I never need to use the high ISOs

This leaves, I think, the autofocus system which having all AF points working at f8 is appealing for the long lens with extenders. But is the investment worth it just for that.

In a way I'd love to convince myself to upgrade. Have I missed something obvious?

Last edited:
I'm struggling to convince myself of the need to upgrade from my 5dm3. Rationale is

A) I'm very happy with the results I'm getting and it's a lot of cash

B) Primary use is for stills, not video. The benefit in dynamic range looks to be at low ISO and I have a hassleblad MF with good DR for arty landscape and studio portraits where the extra helps.

C) I don't think I need the extra pixels and I never need to use the high ISOs

This leaves, I think, the autofocus system which having all AF points working at f8 is appealing for the long lens with extenders. But is the investment worth it just for that.

In a way I'd love to convince myself to upgrade. Have I missed something obvious?
Yes, GAS ;)

I think the price has been a huge sticking point for most people thinking to upgrade, There's no where near the same amount of interest or posts on TP like when the 5D lll went on sale.

I think the price has been a huge sticking point for most people thinking to upgrade, There's no where near the same amount of interest or posts on TP like when the 5D lll went on sale.
Certainly a sticking point for me.

If I really needed a second FF body....

I will be interesting to see if this shifts come xmas and the months after when there's usually a lull in the market and the price will surely come down

Unless there's another earthquake and they become rarer than hens teeth and used ones change hands at higher than the new price.

The price is expensive.

it should be 2.4k at release IMO but because of us leaving eu, price has gone up but i would have thought maybe 3k max it should have gone up.

If the next Gen sony E-mount could basically make any Canon L glass act 100% like a native lens, this will easily provide competition in terms of canon bodies vs sony and would drive the price down on the canon bodies or even release a better spec 5d in a year or two

The price is expensive.

it should be 2.4k at release IMO but because of us leaving eu, price has gone up but i would have thought maybe 3k max it should have gone up.

I don't think so.

The 5D Mk III launched at £3000 in the UK.
The EU referendum has had no impact on prices compared to when the Mk III was launched because the pound/yen exchange rate back then was 130, almost exactly what it is now.

I agree that the actual price of the Mk IVis a bit on the steep side, but I can't see any rational justification for expecting a launch price below £3000.

For me it's got be more down to the quality of the mkiii when it was released it was a giant leap over the mkii in terms of af in particular which had people jumping on it. I don't see the stand out feature on the mkiv that makes it a must have if you already own the mkiii it isn't going to revolutionise most people's experience.

For me it's got be more down to the quality of the mkiii when it was released it was a giant leap over the mkii in terms of af in particular which had people jumping on it. I don't see the stand out feature on the mkiv that makes it a must have if you already own the mkiii it isn't going to revolutionise most people's experience.
What was missing from the 5d3? Only the dynamic range imo.

5d2 had a terrible af system that was no better than the one found on a rebel..

What was missing from the 5d3? Only the dynamic range imo.

5d2 had a terrible af system that was no better than the one found on a rebel..

Small buffer (13 shots and i hit the buffer !)
Which goes hand in hand with slow cards
Not enough crossed type focus points, I'd like ALL the focus points to be like the Centre one.
And Dynamic Range.

I am hitting the boundaries of all those almost on a daily basis.

Not enough crossed type focus points, I'd like ALL the focus points to be like the Centre one.
And Dynamic Range.

Yea we did have this convo on a separate forum. Buffer rate I forgot to add.

The 5d4 addresses dynamic range. Cross type points and overall faster better af..

The buffer rate is a slight increase.

Last edited:
And Dynamic Range.

At least canon have cross type on some of the outer (ish) ones, my D750 only has cross type in the centre cluster :( Hopefully the D750 replacement will have the D500's AF system so it has cross type on the outer points, unless I've swapped to the 5D4 by then in which case I'll be cursing if they do :LOL:

About dynamic range I have an Canon 7D MK I and a Canon 5Ds. Even though the pixel-pitch is quite the same the difference in dynamic range is huge. They've made huge inroads in dynamic range going from the 7D MK 1 to the 5Ds. I don't have the 5D MK IV, but at a guess the difference will be quite a bit compared to the 5D MK III.

About dynamic range I have an Canon 7D MK I and a Canon 5Ds. Even though the pixel-pitch is quite the same the difference in dynamic range is huge. They've made huge inroads in dynamic range going from the 7D MK 1 to the 5Ds. I don't have the 5D MK IV, but at a guess the difference will be quite a bit compared to the 5D MK III.
Just under 2ev at base ISO.

Last edited:
Back