Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

Supposedly it's going to be around $1999 so hopefully the exchange rate will be reflected here.I am tempted to get either the mk2 6D or the 5Diii just not sure which one to go for yet.

If it's £1800 I'll have it straightaway, but it won't be £1800 so I'll have to wait.

Supposedly it's going to be around $1999 so hopefully the exchange rate will be reflected here.I am tempted to get either the mk2 6D or the 5Diii just not sure which one to go for yet.
I'm in the same boat, one or the other can't decide

Well I'm glad someone asked.

We all know with Canons you press the ISO button while looking through the viewfinder and the exposure meter vanished and all you can see is the ISO numbers ok.

With Nikon the exposure meter remains in place which in my opinion is considerably better.

I don't know how many 6D owners know this trick or even care but here you go anyway.

Customise the set button as ISO button and low and behold the exposure meter remains in place.
Good idea

I reckon this could be canons best landscape camera yet. Arguably if it had
of been out a year ago or even 6 months I'd never have switched to Sony.

Yeah, pretty much agree with this. That said I wouldn't be an early adopter anyway. If I don't get on with the A7R2 and that's a big if I might well be back for a 6D2 in 6-12 months.

The 5D3 is much better build quality. Weather sealing I cant recall if 5d3 is superior, has proper glass lcd`s, has a joystick, superior buttons in my opinion suck as aperture ring / set button. Has 1/8000 shutter speed. 2 card slots. Much better AF system, faster continuous shooting.

The 6d has GPS and is lighter. I own a 6D and it has a very good centre AF point that can focus in moonlight but the rest are very poor for an expensive camera IMO.
The 5d3 has very good fast AF points all over the place but I would prefer if they were all X type.

I would much rather a 5d3 but I picked the 6d because the 5d3 was ALOT extra at the time.
If you look at the schematics, the weather sealing and build is the same with 6d and 5d3, the only difference is the poly carbonate top plate on the 6d so the gps and wi fi can transmit.

Is it true the 6D is more of a studio camera?A guy in jessops told me the other day he thinks it's more of a studio camera.
No. Complete BS. I've had mine for years and none of the 30k photos or so I've taken have been in a studio :)

Last edited:
I think it falls under a decent middle range not really as capable as others for action, not got massive MPs, but for everyday stuff it's still going to deliver FF images at APSC prices.
Its perfectly good enough for action!

Joe Ellis Trust Football Match by Jim, on Flickr

red arrows 12 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton, Rosberg and Vestappen 3 by Jim, on Flickr

10 by Jim, on Flickr

28 by Jim, on Flickr

Catch Fin! by Jim, on Flickr

...I could go on! I have a better keeper rate with the 6d than any body I own, you just need to know how to use it.

Last edited:
I guess that would depend what other cameras you own.
Not really. Did it miss getting the shots above? Is there a faster subject than F1 or fast jets I should try with the 6d?

Last edited:
Not really. Did it miss getting the shots above? Is there a faster subject than those illustrated above I should try with the 6d?

Ideal conditions, center frame af, doesn't prove much. I'm glad you like it and it works for you but I've also owned the 6d and it's night and day between that and a d700/750.

If you look at the schematics, the weather sealing and build is the same with 6d and 5d3, the only difference is the poly carbonate top plate on the 6d so the gps and wi fi can transmit.

And both LCD`s are some kind of plastic on the 6D. On the 5D it is the classic glass that I suspect is tougher and less prone to scratches.

Ideal conditions, center frame af, doesn't prove much. I'm glad you like it and it works for you but I've also owned the 6d and it's night and day between that and a d700/750.
Ideal conditions? That F1 shot was shot at Silverstone in the pouring rain with a Sigma 150-600, it wasn't ideal conditions at all but the camera compensated. The red arrow was shot the same day, in overcast conditions between downpours, and the football was shot on a very dull day in the early evening. The only ideal light was the dog shot. I always use centre frame AF, thats just how I shoot, even with a 1ds3. The camera caught it no probs. If you know what your doing, there's nothing you can't shoot with a 6d.

Its not about which camera's better, my point disputed that the 6d wasn't any good for action when clearly it is :)

Last edited:
Ideal conditions? That F1 shot was shot at Silverstone in the pouring rain with a Sigma 150-600, it wasn't ideal conditions at all but the camera compensated. The red arrow was shot the same day, in overcast conditions between downpours, and the football was shot on a very dull day in the early evening. The only ideal light was the dog shot. I always use centre frame AF, thats just how I shoot, even with a 1ds3. The camera caught it no probs. If you know what your doing, there's nothing you can't shoot with a 6d.

It's good that you do use center af point because it's the really good one with the 6d. I can see the exif you know, that tells me the conditions. If you used a camera that had better af you'd also know it's better.

Are you saying it's as capable as a 1dx/ii or d4/5 in all conditions?

Last edited:
It's good that you do use center af point because it's the really good one with the 6d. I can see the exif you know, that tells me the conditions. If you used a camera that had better af you'd also know it's better.

Are you saying it's as capable as a 1dx/ii or d4/5 in all conditions?
See above. Nowhere have I said its better than 'x camera', I've disputed the comment that its no good for action as per your earlier post. In my experience, which I've evidenced above, its more than good enough.

The exif doesn't tell you about conditions - watch the start of the F1 GP at Silverstone last year, it was so wet and dull it was started behind the safety car! That's when the above shot was taken.

Last edited:
See above. Nowhere have I said its better than 'x camera', I've disputed the comment that its no good for action as per your earlier post. In my experience, which I've evidenced above, its more than good enough.

Are you daft, read my post again.

not really as capable as others for action

Are you daft, read my post again.

not really as capable as others for action
Ah ok, well obviously there are better camera's for action, but the 6d fulfils the role with ease so unless you shoot primarily sports it shouldn't be a big issue for most shooters (but it is better than my xxd bodies IMO which are designed for fast action). And with a better sensor than Canon's "fast action" bodies :)

...and yes, I can be very daft.

Anyway, wasn't it supposed to be announced by now?

Last edited:
Ah ok, well obviously there are better camera's for action, but the 6d fulfils the role with ease so unless you shoot primarily sports it shouldn't be a big issue for most shooters (but it is better than my xxd bodies IMO which are designed for fast action). And with a better sensor than Canon's "fast action" bodies :)

...and yes, I can be very daft.

I have owned 10 dslr`s including d300, d700, 1d mk3, 7d.

In moonlight or very low light the 6D was the only one that could autofocus at all.

It only has one good AF point but it is the best AF point I ever used personally

I LOVED my 6D, but was swayed to move to the dark side by the D750, which I've really enjoyed......but I've been waiting on the 6DII turning up and now it's here, with those specs.....I think I'll be moving back to Canon[emoji41]

If I was a Canon user I wouldn't buy this camera for one reason alone, only a single card slot. I just don't get why manufacturers make enthusiast/prosumer bodies with only one slot :mad: After Nikon released the D7500 with only one slot I wonder whether their D7xx lineup will go the same way too meaning you'll need the D8xx for dual.

Other than thattge 6D2 looks a very nice camera and should perform very well, especially if they can get base DR to 14(+). Shame it's not 100% viewfinder coverage though.

Having looked at the first views videos and Canon's advertising video the 45 AF points are all bang in the centre. Whilst this AF is better for tracking I am not into sports photography. I do more portraiture with fast glass so even 11 AF points but spread out to the edges is more useful. I can't compare with the original 6D but if anyone can do a comparison overlap to show the position of the AF points that would be great.

If I was a Canon user I wouldn't buy this camera for one reason alone, only a single card slot. I just don't get why manufacturers make enthusiast/prosumer bodies with only one slot :mad: After Nikon released the D7500 with only one slot I wonder whether their D7xx lineup will go the same way too meaning you'll need the D8xx for dual.

Other than thattge 6D2 looks a very nice camera and should perform very well, especially if they can get base DR to 14(+). Shame it's not 100% viewfinder coverage though.

Have you seen what the did to the xxd range they. Took away the 8 way joystick and changed the aperture wheel to the China junk they put on the 6d. That range is dead to me

No double slot, odd move IMO.

I was waiting for this to see what it has over my D750, but not sure it will be any better.

Well i can,t see me forking out all that cash for this,my 6D still does what i want,i don,t see enough to tempt me.o_O

It was never going to be ground breaking. Its, like most of Canons cameras, an incremental upgrade. I imagine it will have the new sensor/amp arrangement so should be better than the 6D, bit more dynamic range.etc. Tilt screen, doesnt appeal to me but seems to be a bit of a must these days. Better AF, no matter what anyone says the 6D AF outside the centre point was pretty woeful.

It'll sell. I owned a 6D until recently and if I hadn't traded it for a 5D MkIV I would get one of these without any hesitation. To my eyes its a marked improvement over the old one.

The IQ should look better. Its only 6mp but when I switched from 12 to 16 to 24 I could absolutely see a leap in IQ on my 12" ultrabook, let alone a large screen. I know more than just pixels were involved but I'm sure it will be the case with the 6d2

Well, I was wrong about the price. :mad::LOL:

It shall still be mine.:woot:

The price is where I was expecting it to be. The spec looks more than ample for my needs, and I'm looking forward to going full frame. Just need to save up a bit more and drop a few hints with the wife!

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews. Does 5d3 ----> 6d2 look like a down grade in performance, I wonder?

It'll be about £1600 at HDEW in a few months time......

I don't think it will be a downgrade. If the 6D MkII displays he same sensor improvements in dynamic range and shadow detail recovery shown by the 1DX MkII and 5D MkIV then its going to be a better bet than the 5D3. If the AF is up to it then I would say its an improvement. whether its worth is financially to trade a 5D3 for one is a different matter.

And both LCD`s are some kind of plastic on the 6D. On the 5D it is the classic glass that I suspect is tougher and less prone to scratches.
So that's well worth the extra £2000 then, isn't it?! :D

That's the thing now the 5D3 and 6D2 are the same price I am unsure which route to take!for a bit of everything,landscape,action,wedding,fishing trophy shots etc I'm looking to go full frame myself but I just don't know which camera to go for between the two!

That's the thing now the 5D3 and 6D2 are the same price I am unsure which route to take!for a bit of everything,landscape,action,wedding,fishing trophy shots etc I'm looking to go full frame myself but I just don't know which camera to go for between the two!

It has always been said that a 5d3 is a great all-rounder. I'm hoping the 6d2 can take its place. So yeah.....difficult decision!

The IQ should look better. Its only 6mp but when I switched from 12 to 16 to 24 I could absolutely see a leap in IQ on my 12" ultrabook, let alone a large screen. I know more than just pixels were involved but I'm sure it will be the case with the 6d2
That's surprising, what res is your screen?

Looks a decent camera, if i hadn't just bought a 5D4 , id be tempted.

i bet the sensor is better than the 5D4 , the 6D sensor had less noise than the 5D3 , lower mp but, we shall see.

The 1 card slot does't bother me, i only use 1 card on the 5D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOkiWVv5SrU

Last edited:
Back