Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

So what about the price folks, Calumet today £2000 for 6d2, bit steep after all

It's £200 more than the launch price of the 6D, and that's nearly 4 years later, and since then we've had a bit of an exchange rate change.

So is it overpriced compared with the launch price of the 6D....No

But is it expensive compared to it's competition (D750) and the USA pricing, then.....probably Yes

I LOVED my 6D, but was swayed to move to the dark side by the D750, which I've really enjoyed......but I've been waiting on the 6DII turning up and now it's here, with those specs.....I think I'll be moving back to Canon[emoji41]
What is it that makes you want to make the change to Canon with the 6DII from the D750? :thinking: For most it is a big decision to change manufacturers, and many do it for big increases in performance or features, but I can't see anything, from my point my view obviously, ;) to make such a big change. It may be a lot of minor improvements, but I don't see anything groundbreaking in this release. :confused:

What is it that makes you want to make the change to Canon with the 6DII from the D750? :thinking: For most it is a big decision to change manufacturers, and many do it for big increases in performance or features, but I can't see anything, from my point my view obviously, ;) to make such a big change. It may be a lot of minor improvements, but I don't see anything groundbreaking in this release. :confused:

I think moving from a 6d would be a big step up, moving from a d750 is more like a side step/downgrade at higher cost.

I think the 6d mkii is more evolution than revolution. Still it will be than adiquit for my needs. I hardly shoot video so I'm not too bothered about the lack of 4k

And also with the focus points being spread out more would be an advantage...

Agreed. We've known about the single SD card slot and no 4K video for a while now, but the spread of the AF points was deffo something that I was keeping my eyes open for. Even 45 AF points barely get to the 1/3rd lines. USB2??? I've been waiting for this camera for a year as a viable alternative for my ageing 7d and an entry into the FF world. This isn't it. I know that Nikon will probably rationalise their FF offerings soon, but the D750 still holds it's own in a lot of areas even though it's getting on for 3 years old. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Sitting it out for the Nikon D760 might be an option.

No way i will spend that kind of money,my 6D works fine.:D

looking good to me, a ff 80 really. when funds allow i will probably switch back to ff from m4/3 that I've used for the last 3 years

Did I hear right, the 6d mk2 has its own built in stabilisation. Thought I was hearing things or maybe it only works for video or something

Tonight could be dangerous, I have beer as it's not a school night and I'm wanting a new camera. ;-)

Truthfully, it's mostly a Canon/Nikon thing.

I've had Canon's on and off for a number of years and feel more confident and comfortable with them. The D750 was/is my first step in Nikon world and while it's a camera that I couldn't ask for anymore from.

The 6D, while it was damn near perfect, the flaws that it had(DR range, focussing, etc), were corrected when moving to the D750. A crazy move? Sure, to some folk, but I was able to do it and still have some change in my pocket(3 L lenses, to 2 special Nikon lenses).

Now the flaws of the 6D are fixed with the MKII, I'm very tempted to move back to what I know and love best. Is it a stupid idea? I suppose so, but as long as it suits me, then what difference does it make? [emoji846]

Panamoz expect stock in August. [emoji1305]

I've had Canon's on and off for a number of years and feel more confident and comfortable with them. The D750 was/is my first step in Nikon world and while it's a camera that I couldn't ask for anymore from.

The 6D, while it was damn near perfect, the flaws that it had(DR range, focussing, etc), were corrected when moving to the D750. A crazy move? Sure, to some folk, but I was able to do it and still have some change in my pocket(3 L lenses, to 2 special Nikon lenses).

Now the flaws of the 6D are fixed with the MKII, I'm very tempted to move back to what I know and love best. Is it a stupid idea? I suppose so, but as long as it suits me, then what difference does it make? [emoji846]

I'd wait for proper tests and reviews before making the jump back tbh. It could still be a backwards step rather than a side step.

No problem with that as long as people are truthful with themselves, and don't discredit a brand they dislike, or embellish the features of a product to in some way justify a choice. ;)

Obviously feeling comfortable with the camera is a very important aspect. Some people can live with a lot of compromises for that feeling of comfort. I stuck with the Nikon D300S for many years because I didn't feel that Nikon had made a good enough camera for me to replace it with their D7*** series of cameras. The technology got so behind though that I was about to buy a 7DII when Nikon announced the D500. :banana: Manufacturer change averted. :D Even after a just over a year though, the D500, ergonomically, doesn't feel as good as the D300S in the hand. :rolleyes:

That may not be the case this time. ;) If you have the money though, who cares. :)

Hopefully there will be the information about by then to confirm it is a good decision. :) But I wouldn't make such a big change too quickly without the reviews and user experiences to see if the flaws are fixed. ;) But again, if you have enough money, do what you want, when you want. :D

:D Even after a just over a year though, the D500, ergonomically, doesn't feel as good as the D300S in the hand. :rolleyes:

Yea I bought a D300 for £160 and was shocked to death how good it handles.
iso button is a good place, can change between 3 different metering modes in as many seconds by customising the two front buttons. Customise one of the rear buttons to do DOF preview.
I keep recommending it to people on about similarly priced cameras and they call the d300 old rubbish lol. Don't think so. its an old gem that is still amazing in good light

If you don't need dual cards, aka your career and reputation is not at risk if a card goes kaput then I'd get the 6D2 for the dual pixel AF (amazing), the wifi/GPS, the touch screen, probably better low light.

That said I would seriously miss the joy stick.

The 6d2 and 5d3 are now priced the same new, its a dilemma
It depends what you want. I never needed the better AF and features of the 5D3. I also didn't want it's extra size, weight and cost. For travel and landscapes the 6D is great. The 2 will be better, in particular even better IQ and the tilting screen. At the same price I'd get the 6D2, some significant useful improvements over the original along with my same reasons for getting a 6D in the first place.

That said I've got a Sony now with Canon glass. I'll see how it goes but if I switch back in 6 months it'll almost definitely be for a 6D2.

If you don't need dual cards, aka your career and reputation is not at risk if a card goes kaput then I'd get the 6D2 for the dual pixel AF (amazing), the wifi/GPS, the touch screen, probably better low light.

That said I would seriously miss the joy stick.

must have worked on iso performance. the native iso now is 40,000. still I wish there was some kind of breakthrough in tech instead of small gains every few years

must have worked on iso performance. the native iso now is 40,000. still I wish there was some kind of breakthrough in tech instead of small gains every few years

I'm hoping for some "Auto Composition" tech.
No matter what camera I have, I still don't get it right very often. :banghead:

The IQ should look better. Its only 6mp but when I switched from 12 to 16 to 24 I could absolutely see a leap in IQ on my 12" ultrabook, let alone a large screen. I know more than just pixels were involved but I'm sure it will be the case with the 6d2
Even a 4k screen won't show camera images full res from a 8 mp camera, so anything over 8 mp even on a 4k screen won't show on screen viewing, let alone 16-24 mp and above.

20% more money gets you a 5Div, I'm glad I didn't wait for this, I'm sure it's a good camera and even has an intervelometer built in so it will be more useful to some but I'm happy with being impatient and going for the 5D, also tony northrup is the only YouTube channel I have unsubbed, I wouldn't take his word for it, the 80 is over a year old, how could the 6D not be better?

20% more money gets you a 5Div, I'm glad I didn't wait for this, I'm sure it's a good camera and even has an intervelometer built in so it will be more useful to some but I'm happy with being impatient and going for the 5D, also tony northrup is the only YouTube channel I have unsubbed, I wouldn't take his word for it, the 80 is over a year old, how could the 6D not be better?

Not quite sure about your maths there......... £2000 + 20% = £2400. We all know how much a 5d4 costs.

It's £200 more than the launch price of the 6D, and that's nearly 4 years later, and since then we've had a bit of an exchange rate change.

So is it overpriced compared with the launch price of the 6D....No

But is it expensive compared to it's competition (D750) and the USA pricing, then.....probably Yes
Compared to US pricing.... Remember that (1) advertised US prices don't include sales tax, and (2) US retailers don't milk the must-have-it-now brigade as efficiently as UK retailers do. So we all expect the price to fall from £1999 in 3-6 months time, but the US price will probably stick at $1999. Excluding VAT and sales tax, the price difference is currently only about 10%, and that will certainly be eroded over time.

Compared to the D750.... The D750 launched at £1799 in 2014. But DSLRs are effectively priced in Yen, and the Sterling/Yen exchange rate has been all over the place since then. In late 2014 the rate was around £1=¥175, so the D750 launch price was around ¥315,000. Now the rate is around £1=¥145, so the 6D II launch price is around ¥290,000. I think that means the 6D II might be a bit cheaper than the 750D, once all the early adopters have filled their boots at £1999.

Maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 is a massive show stopper for me. I don't understand why canon keeps doing it.

I regularly exceed 1/4000 even at slow-ish f-stops like 2.8 when shooting in the mountains or sea side.

And no, I don't wont to carry filters around, thank you very much

Last edited:
And in 3 months you can order a 6dii much cheaper I'm sure but right now, with the prices stated (30/06/17) its only £400 more was my point

Maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 is a massive show stopper for me. I don't understand why canon keeps doing it.

I regularly exceed 1/4000 even at slow-ish f-stops like 2.8 when shooting in the mountains or sea side.

It is to get people like you, who may have wider aperture lenses (and so more expensive ;)) to buy the higher camera in their range. They think if you are spending a lot on lenses you will buy a camera to as not to compromise them in bright situations. Nikon do it too with the D610 and D750.

It is to get people like you, who may have wider aperture lenses (and so more expensive ;)) to buy the higher camera in their range. They think if you are spending a lot on lenses you will buy a camera to as not to compromise them in bright situations. Nikon do it too with the D610 and D750.

And yet both do 1/8000 in lower range models like 80D / D7500. Madness

I said that about the D750, but I haven't really found the shutter speed limiting tbh. At the end of the day it's no different to the very well regarded D700. Whilst that had a shutter of 1/8000, base ISO was 200, so no different exposure wise compared with the D750 at 100 and 1/4000. Plus you have these low ISO modes now with negligible difference in IQ. Granted a 1/8000 shutter would still be nice, but they have to compromise somewhere to make these cameras smaller, lighter and cheaper. It shouldn't be a deal breaker imo but obviously YMMV.

I said that about the D750, but I haven't really found the shutter speed limiting tbh. At the end of the day it's no different to the very well regarded D700. Whilst that had a shutter of 1/8000, base ISO was 200, so no different exposure wise compared with the D750 at 100 and 1/4000. Plus you have these low ISO modes now with negligible difference in IQ. Granted a 1/8000 shutter would still be nice, but they have to compromise somewhere to make these cameras smaller, lighter and cheaper. It shouldn't be a deal breaker imo but obviously YMMV.

For freezing action only one time I found 1/4000 too slow was bee photography lol. I'm sure other wildlife / tech stuff needs it but if 1/4000 is too slow there is no guarantee 1/8000 will be fast enough anyway

For freezing action only one time I found 1/4000 too slow was bee photography lol. I'm sure other wildlife / tech stuff needs it but if 1/4000 is too slow there is no guarantee 1/8000 will be fast enough anyway
I shoot bees at 1/200-1/250 :eek:

I shoot bees at 1/200-1/250 :eek:

Flying honey bees ? They are a blur at 1/4000. I tried many shots with a d90 and had to switch to a d300 to get the 1/8000 and most bees are focused them but still a couple of blurry blobs. And was using a tripod and VR lens in good light

Flying honey bees ? They are a blur at 1/4000. I tried many shots with a d90 and had to switch to a d300 to get the 1/8000 and most bees are focused them but still a couple of blurry blobs. And was using a tripod and VR lens in good light
Lol no, just ones going in and out of flowers collecting pollen ;)

Not sure why people get hung up on the 1/4000 thing TBH. I've shot ballistic photography with shutter speeds lower than that! You can probably lower the ISO to 50 as you can with the mk1, that enables me to shoot wide primes in sunny conditions with no issues.

Back