Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

I don't care what anyone says, on a 720p 12" ultrabook I can see a difference between 10mp, 16mp, 24mp.

Whether it is megapixles or just newer better other improvements I don't know but I can physically see an improvement in clarity and definition each time very obviously.

Hmmm. The laws of physics would suggest you'd only see a side by side difference only when zoomed in over 50 - 60% where the detail is expanded. There simply aren't enough pixels on the screen to show anywhere near the detail resolved, even a 6MP camera on a 720p screen! So on a higher MP camera the screen just throws away the extra pixels at screen size, the more MP the more pixels the screen dumps.

Actually, on a 720p set up, make that about an 80% zoom for circa 20MP bodies and above.

It won't be MP making that difference, it's more likely you'll see a very significant difference with the ability of different lenses to resolve detail, alongside better DR combined with better SNR ratios on newer sensors (and larger sensors).

Last edited:
[emoji848]

Why? When you'd be lucky to have a monitor that can't show anymore than 8mp or if you don't print more than 10 foot by 6?

MP stopped being a "top trump" in the mid 2000s, we have telephones with more MP than the best DSLRs...

No ones ever asked me how many megapixels my phone has but it's very often in the first couple of questions asked if someone who doesn't know much about Canon camera is looking at them.

No ones ever asked me how many megapixels my phone has but it's very often in the first couple of questions asked if someone who doesn't know much about Canon camera is looking at them.

I've never had that, but I'd point out the areas that matter, such as physical sensor size, photo sensor sizes and the attached lens, it's important to educate people! ;)

MP's are an irrelevant figure.

Last edited:
I'd love having a swivel screen on my 6D but I must say, other than that, not much is getting me excited to want to consider upgrading. It does so much for me spot on. Curious to hear the user reviews.
I totally agree,the 6D is a brilliant camera & i am very pleased to own one,it would be handy to have the swivel screen but i won,t fork out all that money for just a little upgrade.o_O

I totally agree,the 6D is a brilliant camera & i am very pleased to own one,it would be handy to have the swivel screen but i won,t fork out all that money for just a little upgrade.o_O

I know there's more to it than just that but it's a case of need / want. I think there's more you can spend £2k on. Travel for example would improve your photography more imo.

It's not just a little upgrade on the 6D though. It may not be an upgrade as far as your requirements go but if the sensor shows the same DR and shadow recovery improvements that the 5D MkIV and 1DX MkII have shown then that in itself is a big jump. Then there's the woeful AF performance outside the centre point on the 6D which should see a massive improvement on the MkII. I've had a 6D and it's just an ok camera. Too many shortcomings to be a good all rounder. Bluetooth, GPS, dual pixel focusing in live view that not limited to the AF array, Servo AF in movie mode, time lapse option.

It's anything but a little upgrade compared to the 6D.

It's not just a little upgrade on the 6D though. It may not be an upgrade as far as your requirements go but if the sensor shows the same DR and shadow recovery improvements that the 5D MkIV and 1DX MkII have shown then that in itself is a big jump. Then there's the woeful AF performance outside the centre point on the 6D which should see a massive improvement on the MkII. I've had a 6D and it's just an ok camera. Too many shortcomings to be a good all rounder. Bluetooth, GPS, dual pixel focusing in live view that not limited to the AF array, Servo AF in movie mode, time lapse option.

I can understand what you are saying,it all depends on the use it will be for,2 shots taken side by side & printed out i don,t think anyone would see much difference in quality.
I only ever use the centre focus point & that suits me,i don,t use video so just on a personal basis i don,t need the upgrade.:)

Very quiet in here!

Has anyone preordered the camera?

My Sis in law is considering one - 28th I think is release date. Any opinions on the 24-70 F4, she is looking for a lighter alternative to the 24-70 2.8 .

Very quiet in here!

Has anyone preordered the camera?
It's probably quiet because the majority of people aren't in a rush to buy this camera, it's hardly revolutionary or even evolutionary bar a swivelling screen and a few extra tiny bells. My guess is that most are waiting for the price to drop a substantial amount, probably in the Christmas sales.

there not much to say until its available, i think its got potential but need some out in the wild before i make my mind up. there are a number of great upgrades from the mk1, canons duel pixel tech/sensor seems great on others so no reason it shouldn't perform the same here, significant upgrade on the auto focus from the mk1 as well but time will tell

It's probably quiet because the majority of people aren't in a rush to buy this camera, it's hardly revolutionary or even evolutionary bar a swivelling screen and a few extra tiny bells. My guess is that most are waiting for the price to drop a substantial amount, probably in the Christmas sales.

New sensor, way better af system, dual pixel, screen, what else could they change?

Canon huge price drop after 5 months... in yer dreams.

New sensor, way better af system, dual pixel, screen, what else could they change?

Canon huge price drop after 5 months... in yer dreams.

Totally agreeing with you guys, on paper it is a massive upgrade.

The worry though is that the DR and sensor performance is no better at all than the outgoing 6d. The reason Canon may have chosen to do this is so that people who want more DR pay up for the 5d4. The risk is they leave Canon altogether.

There was a thread on DPreview where some RAWs were analysed and it has been pulled and any threads discussing why have also been deleted. The Fred Miranda forum are suggesting it is because DPreview have been pushed by Canon, or are breaking some rules with information about sensor performance being given out from there site (even though it was a forum member) before the actual release.

There is no smoke without fire though...If this camera is no better than the old 6d in that respect then I am pleased I did not hold out for it.

The worry though is that the DR and sensor performance is no better at all than the outgoing 6d. The reason Canon may have chosen to do this is so that people who want more DR pay up for the 5d4. The risk is they leave Canon altogether.

There was a thread on DPreview where some RAWs were analysed and it has been pulled and any threads discussing why have also been deleted. The Fred Miranda forum are suggesting it is because DPreview have been pushed by Canon, or are breaking some rules with information about sensor performance being given out from there site (even though it was a forum member) before the actual release.

There is no smoke without fire though...If this camera is no better than the old 6d in that respect then I am pleased I did not hold out for it.

I think you've read too much into that.

It doesn't make sense for Canon not to use the new sensor/amplifier arrangement in the 6D MKII. The 6D was released after the 5D3 with a sensor with more dynamic range from less resolution. Didn't affect sales of either camera. Those who couldn't afford the 5D3 went for the 6D knowing that they weren't giving up image quality by buying a cheaper body but they would be sacrificing AF performance and other bits and bobs.

Canon will be targeting those people again by giving them an all round upgrade that still falls a bit short of the top spec bodies.

I don't remember Canon holding back sensor tech from lower end bodies in the past, and I don't see why they'd start doing it now. It would be too commercially damaging to them, they are far enough behind Sony as it is.

We will see.

There are rumours that a canon rep said it uses the same sensor tech as 5d4 so it may all be rubbish.

I don't know though, I wouldn't put it past canon they have been hamstringing cameras for years.

I don't remember Canon holding back sensor tech from lower end bodies in the past, and I don't see why they'd start doing it now. It would be too commercially damaging to them, they are far enough behind Sony as it is.
They may be behind but that doesn't stop them being the most successful camera company. There is nothing wrong with the quality from the current 6D sensor to achieve good images, it's just bloody annoying that they have the tech and know how how to make even better sensors but choose not to for some reason.

They may be behind but that doesn't stop them being the most successful camera company. There is nothing wrong with the quality from the current 6D sensor to achieve good images, it's just bloody annoying that they have the tech and know how how to make even better sensors but choose not to for some reason.
As an ex-owner and huge fan of the original 6D I agree, the sensor in the mark 1 is very capable, it's just that compared to the latest generation sensors it lags in ISO sensitivity and dynamic range. Especially when compared to other manufacturers.

If the 6DII can produce images at ISO 25000 that are at similar in quality to the mark 1 at ISO 6400, and it also has noticeably more DR at base ISO I'll be very tempted to head back towards Canon. Have to say I've been impressed by what the little GX80 is capable of though, especially given it doesn't have the latest generation m43 sensor - completely usable images at ISO 3200 from a much physically smaller device.

the sensor in the mark 1 is very capable, it's just that compared to the latest generation sensors it lags in ISO sensitivity and dynamic range. Especially when compared to other manufacturers

I still think the 6D MK 1 is not half as bad as the Nikon fan boys make out.

This is ISO 102,400 and I'm not going to spend 4 figure numbers or switch system in an attempt to improve on this. I`m happy with it

uiuiuiuibbbbbbbbbbbbbbb-4_zpsb8ogolt7.jpg

This is ISO 102,400 and I'm not going to spend 4 figure numbers or switch system in an attempt to improve on this. I`m happy with it

The 6d mk1 is a great camera, it's my go to body for everything.

Reactions: GTG

That's a great ISO image, none of the usual sparkly "I'm trying to get the camera to see in the dark type" image. Shouldn't have sold my 6D, now that my Step Daughter wants to do more Gig photography!!!!

It's gone a bit quiet in here.

I think you've read too much into that.

It doesn't make sense for Canon not to use the new sensor/amplifier arrangement in the 6D MKII. The 6D was released after the 5D3 with a sensor with more dynamic range from less resolution. Didn't affect sales of either camera. Those who couldn't afford the 5D3 went for the 6D knowing that they weren't giving up image quality by buying a cheaper body but they would be sacrificing AF performance and other bits and bobs.

Canon will be targeting those people again by giving them an all round upgrade that still falls a bit short of the top spec bodies.

We will see.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

You are just going to have to move those noise reduction sliders further to the right, plus all those light waxy photos are all the rage, not forgetting silhouettes! :beer:

If this is what Canon are putting out then they've just shot themselves in the foot big time. That will send people over to Nikon.

That looks pretty disappointing. Hopefully there is more to this than the graphs show. I'll reserve judgement till I've seen some test images, in my experience DxO data doesn't always match what you get in the real world.

That looks pretty disappointing. Hopefully there is more to this than the graphs show. I'll reserve judgement till I've seen some test images, in my experience DxO data doesn't always match what you get in the real world.
Very true, we all have different views on what is acceptable dynamic range, noise etc.

Very odd that they don't use the new sensor tech that they use in the 80D and 5D4 in the 6D2 , Why make a new sensor without it.

Very odd that they don't use the new sensor tech that they use in the 80D and 5D4 in the 6D2 , Why make a new sensor without it.
I would guess the bean counters and marketing folk had a lot to do with it. Remember the majority of people buying this camera probably haven't heard of dynamic range. Yes it sounds crazy but it's often the case that they just buy one with a 24-105 lens and shoot jpegs.

:eek: Wow, that is surprising. 6 megapixals more, and 5 years of development, gives virtually the same Dynamic Range as the previous camera. :thinking: I thought Canon had turned the corner in getting closer to the performance of the Sony / Toshiba sensors. Unless this is a deliberate move to further differentiate the 6D range from the 5D range. :thinking: Pretty mad move if that is the plan, as existing 6D users, who you would think they are targeting, may see it as less of an incentive to upgrade. :confused:

Well I for sure will not be upgrading.:eek::confused:

I hadn't really planned on upgrading my trusty old 6D, especially since I decided last year to replace my 7D with an 80D in the expectation the 6DII wouldn't get a big AF or fps upgrade... But those figures if accurate suggest the 6D is basically just as good (or that the difference is sufficiently small to be not worth anything like 2 grand!) And if I want tilting screens, dpaf etc I'll just use the 80D.

I hadn't planned on replacing my 6d mk1 but didn consider a mk2 and keeping the mk1 as backup / 2nd body. Do we know if that test was a production 6d2 or or pre production?

I hadn't planned on replacing my 6d mk1 but didn consider a mk2 and keeping the mk1 as backup / 2nd body. Do we know if that test was a production 6d2 or or pre production?
I don't think they would do tests on pre-production cameras if they are trying to give accurate results for what people may get themselves. I could be wrong though.

If this is true you've got to wonder what Canon are playing at. I don't have a great deal of knowledge about equipment but the 24-105 mk2 lens was optically no better than the lens it replaced (the Mk 1) something like 11 years later. After all that time, surely it could have been?

After all that time, surely it could have been?
After all that time, surely it 'should' have been. ;) :rolleyes:

Technology improves all the time, and things should get better. Lenses especially should improve after so long a time, from it's predecessor. Sensors on the other hand may have some variables, such as if there is a very large increase in resolution from one sensor to it's successor, but the 6 megapixels increase from the 6D to the 6DII is not huge, and as far as Dynamic Range is concerned. And the Sensor tech improves more quickly than Lens tech. :rolleyes:

I've seen people on other sites highlighting the great pics people have got with the 6D regardless of the Dynamic Range compared to other cameras, and that is all well and good, but I think everyone would have preferred, and expected, a sensor with a larger improvement. :(

Back