Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Since an official announcement is due shortly, (29th of June) and it looks like now all specs have been released, whilst not officially confirmed, I thought I'd start this thread with a view to editing this post with official announcements and photos once they are available, which won't be long now.

• Performance in both low and bright light
    Enjoy improved image quality, more control over depth of field and superb low-light performance thanks to a full-frame sensor that packs 26.2-megapixel resolution. Capture intricate detail even in bright highlights and dark shadows. Image quality is maintained when light levels get low, with a max sensitivity of ISO 40,000 (expandable to ISO 102,400).

Let the camera focus on the focus
    Accurate focusing, in conditions as dark as moonlight, comes from 45 cross-type AF points that can also track objects with pin-point precision. Dual Pixel CMOS AF focuses confidently in Live View mode – great when critical sharpness is important, in macro and studio photography for example. Continuous shooting at 6.5 fps let you follow action and catch transient moments.

New but familiar
    Whether you’re new to full frame, or a more experienced photographer, the EOS 6D Mark II will feel familiar from the moment you pick it up. A refined design – with touchscreen controls and large optical viewfinder – inspires the kind of confidence you need to be creative under pressure.

Confident and stable video
    Capture great-looking Full HD video that’s sharp and steady – even in low light. In-camera 5-axis digital stabilisation reduces unintentional camera movements, while Dual Pixel CMOS AF focuses smoothly and continuously to keep your subject sharp. Pull-focus from one object to another with a tap of the EOS 6D Mark II’s touchscreen.

Connected in a connected world
    The EOS 6D Mark II can maintain a constant Bluetooth® link with your smartphone or tablet. This makes activating Wi-Fi easy, so you can browse and share images, and shoot remotely using your device’s screen. The EOS 6D Mark II’s built-in GPS geotags images as you shoot.

Specifications
    • Sensor Type: Approx. 35.9 x 24.0 mm CMOS
    • Effective Pixels: Approx. 26.2 megapixels
    • Total Pixels: Approx. 27.1 megapixels
    • Aspect Ratio: 3:2
    • Low-Pass Filter: Built in/Fixed
    • Lens Mount: EF (excludes EF-S, EF-M lenses)
    • Focal Length: Equivalent to 1.0x the focal length of the lens
    • Image Stabilisation:
      • Optical Image Stabilizer on compatible lens
      • Movie: In-camera 5-axis Digital IS available
    • AF System/ Points:
      • Via optical viewfinder: 45 cross-type AF points (45 f/5.6 cross-type AF points / 27 f/8 points (9 cross-type) / centre point is f/2.8 and f/5.6 dual cross-type)
      • Via liveview on LCD screen: Maximum 63 AF points (Fixed location on 9x7 grid) via camera automatic selection
    • Still Image File Type:
      • JPEG: Fine / Normal (Exif 2.30, Exif Print, compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system
      • RAW: RAW / M-RAW / S-RAW (14bit, Canon original RAW 2nd edition) Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) Version 1.1 compliant
      • RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording: Yes - any combination of RAW + JPEG, M-RAW + JPEG, S-RAW + JPEG possible
    • Image Size:
      • JPEG 3:2: (L) 6240 x 4160, (M) 4160 x 2768, (S1) 3120 x 2080 (S2) 2400 x 1600
      • JPEG 4:3: (L) 5536 x 4160, (M) 3680 x 2768, (S1) 2768 x 2080, (S2) 2112 x 1600
      • JPEG 16:9: (L) 6240 x 3504, (M) 4160 x 2336, (S1) 3120 x 1752, (S2) 2400 x 1344
      • JPEG 1:1: (L) 4160 x 4160, (M) 2768 x 2768, (S1) 2080 x 2080, (S2) 1600 x 1600
      • RAW: (RAW) 6240 x 4160, (M-RAW) 4680 x 3120, (S-RAW) 3120 x 2080
    • Movie File Type:
      • MP4:
        • Movie: MPEG4 AVC / H.264 (Video: H.264 inter frame, Sound: Linear PCM / AAC, recording level can be manually adjusted by user)
      • MOV:
        • Motion JPEG (4K 29.97/25.00, time-lapse movies only)
        • ALL-I (FHD 29.97/25.00, time-lapse movies only)
    • Movie Size: 1920 x 1080 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, 23.976 fps) IPB Standard or Light, 1280 x 720 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25 fps) IPB Standard or Light
    • HDR movie (30): 1920 x 1080 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, 23.976 fps) IPB (Standard, Light)
    • Time-lapse movie:
      • 3840 x 2160 ( 29.97, 25 fps) Motion JPEG
      • 1920 x 1080 ( 29.97, 25 fps) ALL-I
    • Movie Length: Max duration 29min 59sec, Max file size 4GB (If file size exceeds 4GB a new file will be created automatically except in Timelapse Movie mode)
    • Connectivity
      • Computer: Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0)
      • Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi (2.4GHz) Channels: IEEE802.11b, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.11n
      • Wi-Fi Security: Camera Access Point: WPA2-PSK with AES encryption or open Infrastructure: Shared key, with WEP encryption, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK with TKIP/AES encryption or open
      • Bluetooth: Bluetooth Specification Version 4.1 compliant (Bluetooth low energy technology)
      • NFC: NFC Forum Type 3/4 Tag compliant (dynamic)
      • Other: HDMI output (Type-C), External microphone (3.5 mm Stereo mini jack)
    • Body Materials:
      • Chassis: Aluminium alloy and polycarbonate resin with glass fiber
      • Body: Polycarbonate resin with special conductive fibre & Polycarbonate resin with glass fibre on some parts
    • Operating Environment: 0 – 40 °C, 85% or less humidity
    • Dimensions (W x H x D): 144.0 x 110.5 x 74.8 mm
    • Weight (body only): Approx. 765 g (CIPA testing standard, including battery and memory card)
Price £1999

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOkiWVv5SrU

1630560.jpg

1630560-2.jpg

1630560-5.jpg

1630560-7.jpg

1630560-8.jpg

1630560-4.jpg

Last edited:
I'll see. I only bought the mark I just before Christmas so I think I'll get some use out of it before trading, unless Canon do some very special offer which I think is unlikely, or it is extraordinarily fabulous. If I had the 700d it would be an obvious thing to do.

I'm interested. Massive shame no 4k but rest looks good.

If it had 4k it'd be more or less a 5Dmk4 though. I'm very pleasantly surprised it has 6.5 fps - that's just 0.5 fps away from the 5dmk4, the AF system, mp, 4k and no dual slot is about all that differentiates both cameras at the moment.

If it had 4k it'd be more or less a 5Dmk4 though. I'm very pleasantly surprised it has 6.5 fps - that's just 0.5 fps away from the 5dmk4, the AF system, mp, 4k and no dual slot is about all that differentiates both cameras at the moment.

How so when you listed a lot more reasons than 1 that make it a completely different camera... forgetting build quality and more than likely buffer.

Everyone's doing 4k these days.

Last edited:
How so when you listed a lot more reasons than 1 that make it a completely different camera... including build quality and more than likely buffer.

Everyone's doing 4k these days.

For around £2000 it's got a lot going for it for a stills photographer was what I was trying to say - if the 5dmk4 at £1500ish more has the features one needs then fair enough.

If the d-pad, set button and aperture ring are the same as the 6d and d80 there is no way I will buy it.

Its terrible because you go to use one of them and accidently press another and I have small to medium hands.

I have owned dslr`s going back to 2008 and the 6d set up is the worst I ever used.

I'm the type of guy that only changes stuff when its goosed some may say "careful with my cash" :))
The mark 1 is fab. No idea what @GTG is refering to as I have had no issues at all.

Gaz

I'm the type of guy that only changes stuff when its goosed some may say "careful with my cash" :))
The mark 1 is fab. No idea what @GTG is refering to as I have had no issues at all.

Gaz

Maybe it is just me because I customise the set button.

Then when I go to press the set button to change whatever, more often than not the dpad gets lightly toughed also and it changes the AF point.

I cant be the only one that happens to, the set button is tiny and the dpad is completely surrounding it.

I cant be the only one that happens to
Agreed. it would be strange if so.
Out of curiosity what have you customised it to do ? If you don't mind me asking.

Gaz

Agreed. it would be strange if so.
Out of curiosity what have you customised it to do ? If you don't mind me asking.

Gaz

Well I'm glad someone asked.

We all know with Canons you press the ISO button while looking through the viewfinder and the exposure meter vanished and all you can see is the ISO numbers ok.

With Nikon the exposure meter remains in place which in my opinion is considerably better.

I don't know how many 6D owners know this trick or even care but here you go anyway.

Customise the set button as ISO button and low and behold the exposure meter remains in place.

Last edited:
Customise the set button as ISO button and low and behold the exposure meter remains in place.
Crafty idea I like it. Never owned anyhting other than a Canon 450d and then the 6d. I generaly take a mental note of where the meter is and count the clicks up or down when changing iso.

Gaz

It is very tempting,but not sure if it is worth it.o_O

So how would this compare to a 5Dmkiii? Currently considering either the original 6D or a 5Dmkiii both second hand.However if this is not far off or better than a 5Dmkiii I would potentially consider a new one of these.

So how would this compare to a 5Dmkiii? Currently considering either the original 6D or a 5Dmkiii both second hand.However if this is not far off or better than a 5Dmkiii I would potentially consider a new one of these.

The 5D3 is much better build quality. Weather sealing I cant recall if 5d3 is superior, has proper glass lcd`s, has a joystick, superior buttons in my opinion suck as aperture ring / set button. Has 1/8000 shutter speed. 2 card slots. Much better AF system, faster continuous shooting.

The 6d has GPS and is lighter. I own a 6D and it has a very good centre AF point that can focus in moonlight but the rest are very poor for an expensive camera IMO.
The 5d3 has very good fast AF points all over the place but I would prefer if they were all X type.

I would much rather a 5d3 but I picked the 6d because the 5d3 was ALOT extra at the time.

This is next on my shopping list as an upgrade from my 70D. I decided to go FF some time ago but I will wait to see what happens to the price first, as I'm not the type of person who must have the very latest of anything.

This is next on my shopping list as an upgrade from my 70D. I decided to go FF some time ago but I will wait to see what happens to the price first, as I'm not the type of person who must have the very latest of anything.

You can sure you will be paying a premium for any new Canon model for a very long to come. No discounting! The 5d3 more or less held its price until the 5d4 appeared.

I think he was asking how the 6Dmk2 compares to the 5d3.

Ah yes, I read it wrongly.

I would pick the 6d mk2 any day, dslr`s don't need to be tough if you don't bash into stuff in the first place.

the specs say native ISO upto 40,000 so they must be confident they have a decent improvement in noise performance.

If they've put the latest sensor amplifier arrangement in then it should be pretty good. Certainly worked for the 5D MkIV and 1 DX MkII.

It's been a long wait and I'll probably be upgrading from my noisy 7D. A little dissapointed with 4000/second though, why not 8000? Still, I don't think that's a deal breaker.

The only concern I have is if the 6Dii is priced the same as the 5Diii, then it would be a difficult choice. a nice concern to have though. :LOL:

Is it true the 6D is more of a studio camera?A guy in jessops told me the other day he thinks it's more of a studio camera.

Is it true the 6D is more of a studio camera?A guy in jessops told me the other day he thinks it's more of a studio camera.

I think it falls under a decent middle range not really as capable as others for action, not got massive MPs, but for everyday stuff it's still going to deliver FF images at APSC prices.

I think it falls under a decent middle range not really as capable as others for action, not got massive MPs, but for everyday stuff it's still going to deliver FF images at APSC prices.

I'd agree with the action comment but that said if this new one has a bunch of cross types then it will do for most. as for MP's its not that long since the 1d4 which only had 16MP!

As for a studio camera the guy in Jessops is talking out of his hoop. The original 6D is a great travel/landscape/low light camera you don't really need high iso in most studios!

I'd agree with the action comment but that said if this new one has a bunch of cross types then it will do for most. as for MP's its not that long since the 1d4 which only had 16MP!

As for a studio camera the guy in Jessops is talking out of his hoop. The original 6D is a great travel/landscape/low light camera you don't really need high iso in most studios!

Yeah, as he said 6d and the 6dii isn't in jessops yet I assumed he meant mk1. The Mps are low compared to some. Nothing wrong with less MPs though.

I reckon this could be canons best landscape camera yet. Arguably if it had
of been out a year ago or even 6 months I'd never have switched to Sony.

I can't see a huge improvement from my current 6D. At £2000 estimated it would have to have a super sensor like 14stops for me to buy it. Nothing interests me at that price as the 6D is still a capable camera.

No focus joystick :(

No eye controlled focus! :( I've owned a Canon EOS-3 35mm film camera from new and the eye controlled focus system on that is one feature I'd love to see in today's top spec Canon DSLRs. Take a bit of time and care to set it up, then all you had to do was look where you wanted to focus and this would activate the nearest one of the 45 focus points (yes, a camera from 1998 had 45 auto-focus points, and yes, they lit up red in the viewfinder just like they do today!) as the camera instantaneously tracked your eyeball, worked out where you were looking, and locked on to that focus point.

No faffing with a joystick or toggling around with direction buttons; just look, lock on, and press the shutter! We're talking 20 year-old technology with that, imagine how much better they should be able to make it work these days?!

Last edited:
The only reason I never bought a mark 1 was because of its pretty woeful AF system, in comparison to others, with only 1 cross type focus point. That's not so much of a problem with landscapes and studio work as it is for wildlife, action etc, which is where the Jessops guy's comments might have come from? The mk2 seemingly has 45 cross type focus points, which is much more suited to wildlife and is a massive game changer for me, as well as the tilt screen, which is good news for my knees. :LOL:

I can't see a huge improvement from my current 6D. At £2000 estimated it would have to have a super sensor like 14stops for me to buy it. Nothing interests me at that price as the 6D is still a capable camera.

I'm guessing/hoping it will be sub £1.8k as I don't think they'd want it competing with the current price of a new 5Diii as they'll want to shift all stock of the them as the 5Dmkiv takes over. I may be wrong though. :whistle:

Back