Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

If it's only one iso stop you're after then getting an f2.8 lens might be better than a new body.

I have a 2.8 lens but we re talking about 1/400th at f2.8 under the better lights at 6400 iso, the 12800 setting on the 60D is not to my mind really usable .That 1 or possibly 2 stops extra would make a hell of a difference under lights which is the majority of time once the clocks go back

I wouldn't buy a 70D as it won't be that much of an improvement. Sounds like you'll be better off with a 5DIII for that.

And were I after a Full frame camera at twice the price then i would have posted in the relevant forum

No need for the attitude. If you want vastly improved high ISO performance your only option is to go full frame. I could have said that it's so much better and let you spend £900 but in reality that's not the case... so I thought you'd be thankful for an objective opinion but obviously not.

Last edited:
Janesy is right, there's no need for the lip!

I dont think thats lip I asked in the 70d forum about the performance of that particular camera.I said nothing about looking for vastly improved performance just what the 70d was like. To profer a personal view about a camera £1200 more than the one I was asking about was not helpful in any way and thats all my initial reply said.

Not a great deal, but that's only down to avoiding going that high in the first place. Anything above 1600 really bothers me and you start to lose detail which is quite noticeable when taking pictures of race cars with lots of small stickers.

It's much better than the 550D which it replaced, but it's not much of an improvement over the 60D.

Isn't one effective way of improving sharpness and noise to shoot RAW and make those improvements in post editing?

Which case is everyone using for their 70D? I need one!

.... x 2

I'm definitely getting a 70D and so will need a case too. There will be several types of bag available and so it depends how you want to use one. Sling bags have a nasty habit of slewing around and scaring off your subject i have found in the past.

Handled my first 70D in a shop today and it felt just right (y)

I have a Vanguard hard case that takes both bodies, 10-11 lenses, 2 flashes and all the other stuff we usually carry about. For taking a single body and a couple of lenses and a flash I use a Billingham Hadley Pro bag as it's a perfect size. It's almost a messenger bag style but it doesn't scream camera bag. Something similar would suit, maybe not a Billingham though as they are rather expensive. I got mine as part of a deal for a 1D3 a while ago, I've since sold the camera but kept the bag.

My 70D arrived this morning & so far only messed around indoors as it has been a really wet day here,but loving it.:clap:(y)
The only problem i have found is LR4 i can,t import raw files.:bang:

Yep,i checked but no updates.:bang:

Update the DNG converter and convert the file to DNG. This is the only solution I'vefound at the moment.

Update the DNG converter and convert the file to DNG. This is the only solution I'vefound at the moment.

....I haven't got my 70D yet, so what's "DNG" please?

I assume the problem being discussed is regarding 70D RAW files > Adobe Lightroom v4 and not > Photoshop CS6 or > Aperture. All Mac installed.

....I haven't got my 70D yet, so what's "DNG" please?

I assume the problem being discussed is regarding 70D RAW files > Adobe Lightroom v4 and not > Photoshop CS6 or > Aperture. All Mac installed.

Dng is the adobe raw file. The converter will take a nef or cr2 file which may not work do it can work in camera raw.

For example my d7100 requires camera rae 7.1 which I dont have. I convert to dng compatable with camera raw 6.6 and bingo new camera works with older software.

Also makes the files a shade smaller

Robin, RAW files have .CR2 extensions. At the mo, neither Photoshop nor Lightroom can process it. Adobe have the ability to convert to .DNG which is like RAW but supposedly better for working in Adobe software. It can also be read by other computers.

I'm not having any problem opening and processing RAW files in Photoshop CS6 (with latest update) from a Sony RX100 II which have .ARW extensions.

So I guess that the hiccup is related to the Canon 70D's RAW file format/extension.

I had problems with my 5D3 - couldn't download with either adobe bridge or EOS utility. I resorted to using a card reader - give that a try.

The 5D3 also produces .cr2 files - though that's not to say they are the same as the 70D ones.

I spent days trying to solve the problem- you named it, I tried it. I've been using a card reader now for 10 months. Reading your problem, I thought I'd give it a try and bizarrely both Lightroom 4.6 and EOS utility now will both download .cr2 files direct from the camera. I can only think that some other upgrade on my Mac has solved the problem with the EOS utility and that Lightroom was fixed when I upgraded to 4.6 (from 4. something else).

By the way EOS utility worked fine on a pc with no problem.

(apologies I know the 5d3 is not a 70D)

I am using a card reader,might just have to go back to using jpegs until a fix is found,also updated the DNG,no luck.:shrug::)

I am using a card reader,might just have to go back to using jpegs until a fix is found,also updated the DNG,no luck.:shrug::)
Oh dear :( Let's hope they bring an update out soon for you. I spent almost a week trying to sort it out for my 5D3 to no avail.

Are you on a Mac or a pc? I'm surprised we haven't heard about more people having problems… having said that I was in the same position.

I am on a pc,not to worry will still get by for now.:)

I don't know how things work on a PC but on a Mac it's always a good idea to regularly launch Software Update for the OS as it often includes camera compatibility file updates.

Good job that Nokia don't make cameras though because they are not Mac-friendly.

It is nothing to do with your OS as i just d/loaded the new LR 5.2 to try & it recognizes the canon 70d & raw files show no problem.
I don,t know if i am prepared to pay adobe for another new LR or just stick to using jpegs.:nono::shrug:

It is nothing to do with your OS as i just d/loaded the new LR 5.2 to try & it recognizes the canon 70d & raw files show no problem.
I don,t know if i am prepared to pay adobe for another new LR or just stick to using jpegs.:nono::shrug:

Wooo dont use jpeg! Either update acr. If you cant then convert yoyr raws to dng with the free adobe software. Thats what I do. Saved me £400 and there brill files

Can,t get the dng to work.:bang:

Got the DNG to convert now.:clap:(y)

Reactions: LC2

If doing this, be sure to either keep separately or at the very least embed the original raw file.

I was out today taking a few shots on the 70D and my new Tamron 28-300 VC. Now I'm fully aware that the superzoom isn't going to be the sharpest lens but I had one a couple of years ago (used on a 550D) and it was pretty good. I was a tad disappointed at the results and it's got me wondering.

Are the 3rd party manufacturers lenses going to be affected by the new sensor system of the 70D by any way. I came home and tried both mine and the wifes lenses focussing by Liveview at x10 mag on both my 70D and my 5D3 where possible. All the Canon lenses (a 35 f2, 40 f2.8 pancake, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8L Macro, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L IS and a 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII both with and without Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x and Canon 2x mkIII converters) produced nice crisp images on the screen at full magnification on both bodies.

The other lenses I tried were a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM which produced crisp images with Liveview on both bodies at 10x magnification, however the 120-400 OS and 150-500 OS was crisp and clear on the 5D3 but they weren't as crisp on the 70D (either by AF of MF). I also found the same problem with the Tamron 28-300 VC on the 70D whereas the Tamrom 18-270 VC PZD was crisp on the screen of the 70D.

This was primarily a test to see how good the lens resolution showed up on the LCD of the camera rather than a photo test although I did take shots with all the lenses, albeit I was indoors and so I had to up the ISO to get any decent results. The shots from the 2 long Sigma's and the Tamrom 28-300 weren't great on either body but this was done under normal electric light so I'm not surprized by the results. I've had some good results with the Sigma 150-500 OS on the 70D but the photos still aren't as crisp as they are on the 5D3 and some of the shots I got with the Sigma and my old 60D.

The main idea for the test was to see the IQ of the lenses on the screen and the results have got me thinking that maybe the new 'dual pixel' technology is a step too advanced for some of the older 3rd party lenses. Has anybody else seen this or even tried anything similar. I had to MFA the 150-500 to get the best results out of it with the 70D when I bought the camera but I am surprized by some of the results I saw today.

Last edited:
Back