Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Hi folks, have you any of you experienced the 7D freezing up after a couple of shots?

I've taken a shot, the image preview screen has come on and stayed on. The only thing that will reset it is removing the battery.

Last edited:
Hi folks, have you any of you experienced the 7D freezing up after a couple of shots?

I've taken a shot, the image preview screen has come on and stayed on. The only thing that will reset it is removing the battery.

Not after a couple but it's happened twice on mine when taking repeated shots in burst mode.

What memory card do you have? One of my 4GB cards has an awful write speed which does this - happens when using the high fps mode.

Updated the firmware a couple of weeks before.

Have tried it with several different cards and it seems to be one of my memory cards playing up. strangely works fine in the 5Dii though!

Thanks for your messages.

Had mine since February this year. Really enjoying using it. Been an excellent decision for capturing fast moving subjects and action.

Hi guys, i presently own a 1d mk2 but after a recent indoor fashion shoot with my club i found it lacking without flash and tbh i`ve been toying with the idea of an upgrade anyway and the 7d is on the list mainly because i`m sure it will be better than the 1d mk2 and the 6d is far too expensive, how do you find your 7d,Harvey

Are any of you 7D owners considering buying the new to be released Sigma 150-600?

After a lot of procrastination I decided to go for the 7D my reasoning being that it is a good camera and at the price of a new one currently at £599 it is a bargain. I know there is a newer model but I am not into photography to compete with the Jones's but for my enjoyment (I am not going to spend £1500 on a camera body, a lens is a different matter). This would be an upgrade from my 50D that I had. It is also £150 below the current rate for a 70D. I did consider a second hand one but thought new is best for me at this stage.

Only time and lots of photos will tell if I have made the correct decision

Just picked up my new DSLR today, another 7D (y)

After buying one at launch and finally outing it 6 months ago in favour of a couple of M4/3 Panasonic cameras, I have gone full circle :help:

I have spent months deliberating and review reading but for ME I don't think there is a better 'all round' body....

So 7D'ers, a couple of questions....

Grip - worth it or not?
What lens have you got on yours the most? (I have bought a 24-105L as my walkabout choice)

I have the 7D and 7D2 and use the 24-105 and 28-300 most of the time.

I have a 7D and a 7D2, and the 70-200 2.8 is By far my most used lens, with and without a 1.4x teleconverter. After that it is probably a 500 f4 followed by 100-400.

Both bodies are gripped. I do a lot of dog photography which means lots of portraits whilst lying flat on the ground. Perhaps it is just me, but I simply can't hold the camera in portrait mode whilst on the ground as I then lose a supporting elbow, so grips really are a necessity for me.

My new 7D was delivered on Friday. Very good service from Wex Photographic: ordered on Thursday and delivered on Friday. Been playing around and reading the manual plus looking at some of the YouTube instructional videos. I am very pleased with the performance.

I got a 7D and 100-400 L IS USM lens for birding and wondered if a Canon 1.4 converter would be a good buy. A friend of mine said that he noticed a drop in sharpness when he used one.

I got a 7D and 100-400 L IS USM lens for birding and wondered if a Canon 1.4 converter would be a good buy. A friend of mine said that he noticed a drop in sharpness when he used one.

I would have thought you would lose autofocus with the converter on that lens.
I'm sure someone will come along and confirm whether that is the case or not.
That may be an issue for you.

I have the 1.4 and use it on the 70-200 F2.8 mk3 and get very good results with only a small drop in image quality :)

Last edited:

If, by a 'drop in sharpness', he meant 'an unacceptably horrible blurring of the image' then he was right.

Well today I took the plunge and part exchanged my 450D and a cheap lens at WEX for a 7D with a shutter count of under 13k. I was lucky enough to get £150 store credit for the 450D and lens which can be bought on ebay for £30, so the 7D only cost me £225 and am extremely happy with it so far, even tho I haven't taken it out for a proper use yet. I cannot believe how advanced it is to the 450D, not only with the settings, but that neat little meter that shows if you are holding the camera straight. I know it sounds like I am a boy with a new toy, but am well chuffed. :D

Has anyone had any experience with Magic Lantern firmware on the 7D? it it worth me putting it on there for extra functionality? i am especially interested in the focus stacking, and extended bracketing features.

I'm having battery issues with my old 7D.

It won't recognise the two non genuine batteries I bought recently and now when I try the original battery that came with it or the battery from my 7D Mk2 I get the message "Cannot communicate with battery Use this battery?"

It still works with the genuine batteries but no charge is shown on the top screen.

Anyway just thought I'd mention this, not looking for any remedies as I doubt there are any and the 7D is due for replacement.

What to replace it with though, another 7D Mk2 or a 5D Mk2 or Mk3? Decisions, decisions!

I'm if I were you I'd go for a nice 2nd hand 5D3, which reminds me, I must post mine on the classifieds :rolleyes:

I'm having battery issues with my old 7D.

It won't recognise the two non genuine batteries I bought recently and now when I try the original battery that came with it or the battery from my 7D Mk2 I get the message "Cannot communicate with battery Use this battery?"

It still works with the genuine batteries but no charge is shown on the top screen.

Anyway just thought I'd mention this, not looking for any remedies as I doubt there are any and the 7D is due for replacement.

What to replace it with though, another 7D Mk2 or a 5D Mk2 or Mk3? Decisions, decisions!

I think I read somewhere that if you put the battery in the charger first power the charger up then remove the battery and re insert if after 10 seconds it will charge and show in the camera.

Phil

After buying one at launch and finally outing it 6 months ago in favour of a couple of M4/3 Panasonic cameras, I have gone full circle :help:
My wife would be doing a stretch for murder at Holloway If she found out I wasted money doing something so crazy. :)

Holy thread revival.
Picked up a used 7D on Thursday. 39,000 clicks on the clock, it had a lazy sticky flash but everything else was ok. Few dabs of oil on a cotton bud on a stiff hinge got the flash freed up. It's going to work alongside my 6D for the times when i need the faster AF and drive etc.
I like the built in flash trigger too. It strikes me as a very good but overlooked camera.

Just upgraded from a 550d to a 7D mk1 on Saturday. Haven’t given it a heap of use yet but I am loving the ease of control in manual compared to an entry body.

Couple of recent shots, I haven't used the 7D in a while.

ISO 3200:

Slimbridge WWT
by jj_glos, on Flickr

This was taken with the Tamron 150-600 with both a 1.4x and 2.0x attached, just for fun :D

Moon
by jj_glos, on Flickr

I love the photo of the Moon.

Was is your technique for this photo ?

Also I have been looking at getting Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, do you think it is as good as canon 100-400 Mki & Mkii ?

Holy thread revival.
Picked up a used 7D on Thursday. 39,000 clicks on the clock, it had a lazy sticky flash but everything else was ok. Few dabs of oil on a cotton bud on a stiff hinge got the flash freed up. It's going to work alongside my 6D for the times when i need the faster AF and drive etc.
I like the built in flash trigger too. It strikes me as a very good but overlooked camera.

My 7D has had that problem and it is easly solved at repair shop.
A pin I believe gets stuck in a down position on the hot shoe.

I love the photo of the Moon.

Was is your technique for this photo ?

Also I have been looking at getting Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, do you think it is as good as canon 100-400 Mki & Mkii ?

It was just a messing about shot really, stuck both 1.4x and 2.0x TC's on. The exposure went completely to pot so that was manual. I can't recall if I used manual focus, but it's quite a simple shot. Pretty sure I did use a tripod, the moon does move faster than you think when you're using this kind of focal length. So I did 'lead' the moon, by which I mean I setup so I was ahead of the moon's path and took the shot as it moved through the frame.

I couldn't comment on the Sigma lens as I've never used it. I don't think the Tamron is as good as the Canon, but it was a lot cheaper!

It strikes me as a very good but overlooked camera.

It was not overlocked, it won many awards and had the longest life cycle of an EOS camera ever made.

I was lucky to get a real mint condition one a couple of years back but preferred my 1D MK3 instead which is a better camera IMO.

When I say overlooked I mean compared to newer bodies. I'm very happy with mine. It's the first crop body I've found that I like.

Back