Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Anyone ever had the silver on the 7D badge rub off? Never seen this before, but it's happening to mine! I'm wondering if there's a silver paint I can use to touch it up with?

Just to chime in on the 17-55/24-105 debate - i think it depends entirely on what you photograph. I find for portraits and most walkabout stuff, 24 is still wide enough for most of the shots I want to take. If I want wider, it's either walking around a city where I'll switch to a 10-20 as even 17mm isn't wide enough in some narrow towns or for a specific shot, again where I'll have the time to switch out lenses. For other instances where I can't get it all in at 24mm, I tend to walk further away ;)

On the flipside, I find myself using the longer end of the lens quite a bit, and 55 just isn't long enough for me.

So yes, IMHO, it mostly comes down to what you want to shoot with the lens.

That's pretty shocking! Is it old and legit (reputable retailer?). Certainly haven't seen this on any Canon before.

I wonder if the humbol paints for airfix models so a similar silver? They're only a couple of quid per pot normally.

To chip in on the 17-55 vs 24-105 , I use both. If I'm away shooting landscapes or indoors it's the 17-55. If I'm in a city or anywhere where wildlife is likely the 24-105 takes it. I've used the 24-105 on. 7D in Africa for two weeks and it only came off once to blow some muck off the mirror (yeah - weather sealed isn't africa sealed!). I only used the 17-55 once (old body) when it was too dark.

That's pretty shocking! Is it old and legit (reputable retailer?). Certainly haven't seen this on any Canon before.

I wonder if the humbol paints for airfix models so a similar silver? They're only a couple of quid per pot normally.

Well I'm guessing it may just be a manufacturing defect, as the stuff isn't easy to scratch off! Obviously doesn't effect the camera, I just have OCD :LOL: I just worry that it will effect the resale value of the camera should I choose to sell in the future. I've got some paints at home, I'll have a look at touching it up at some point!

Last edited:
I would have thought it would be better to sell it as is, rather than repainting it, as you'll have to tell them that you did it for transparency of sale. Although it's only a little thing, people may question what else is up with it.

Might sound a little paranoid but it's possible.

I would have thought it would be better to sell it as is, rather than repainting it, as you'll have to tell them that you did it for transparency of sale. Although it's only a little thing, people may question what else is up with it.

Might sound a little paranoid but it's possible.

Nah, you're probably right! Might look a little dodgy if I don't get it right :p

[EDIT] Should mention. The camera was sold to me as 'brand new' by Digital Rev!

Actually rather annoying that it has started to do that! It's only four months old!

Last edited:
I was going to get a used on at around £850 but the extra £150 to get new might be money well spent.

Had the same dilema. Decided to buy a new grey import from HDEW for £698 a few months back. You get the benefit of puchasing from a UK company, 3rd party warranty and the lower price. Couldn't be happier and having researched HDEW they have a good reputation. The savings went towards a lens.

Had the same dilema. Decided to buy a new grey import from HDEW for £698 a few months back. You get the benefit of puchasing from a UK company, 3rd party warranty and the lower price. Couldn't be happier and having researched HDEW they have a good reputation. The savings went towards a lens.

This is exactly what I did too.

I too have just joined the 7D fraternity, moving up from a 40D. I'm pretty impressed so far although I think it'll take a little while to get to grips with it fully. I have noticed though the pictures look much better on the LCd than they do initially on the PC :)

A couple of initial offerings:

IMG_0258 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

IMG_0040 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

The swan's head isn't particularly interesting but I was impressed at how sharp it came out.

Were those shot on auto/program mode? Because they're underexposed which is the 7D trademark in those modes. Say what you want about the 7D, but the metering is terrible.

Personally I think some of the 3rd party ones are just not compatible with the charger. The seller will say they are fully charged but it won't register on the charger or camera. Pah, I want to know how much battery like I have left.

ps, I don't know that ebay seller. Just bought from them and the battery is good.

I have 2 spare batteries which are both Canon.
Why spend £1000 on a DSLR and £10 on a cheap battery ! !

My advice is bite the bullet and get a genuine Canon bttery (y)

I have 2 spare batteries which are both Canon.
Why spend £1000 on a DSLR and £10 on a cheap battery ! !

My advice is bite the bullet and get a genuine Canon bttery (y)

The 3rd party batteries I have seem to last just as long (or near as long. I haven't done a picture count test) as the Canon one.
As we all know Canon put a massive mark up on things that say Canon on them. If I can save 30-40 quid that's 30-40 off my next lens :)

Just picked up a 7D yesterday. Not had time to get out with it yet due to being ill :( but I have a fair bit of reading here and the manual to get upto date with it.

you will love it once you get to grips with it, read this thread and the links within it as they are great

Got out with the 7D yesterday. I'm in awe at the quality of images it captures compared to my 500D. Few issues I had are with focusing. I'm just not up to speed with the settings, which I fear will get me rather frustrated over the next few weeks trying to get to grips with it. Oh well, Onwards and upwards. Off to shoot Owls this weekend at the Scottish Owl Centre, So I'm hopping to get some decent images from there.

Were those shot on auto/program mode? Because they're underexposed which is the 7D trademark in those modes. Say what you want about the 7D, but the metering is terrible.

The duck photo is pretty much perfectly exposed (allowing for the white on the wings) The other two are actually OVER exposed with significant areas of the subject having completely blown and detail-less areas on them.

The 7D metering is fine. You just need to get to know how it works like any other camera. They're all different in the amount of exposure compensation required per metering mode.

I guess I better Join this thread, not (to) new to the 7D but new to the forum :). Upgraded from my trusty 10 year old 20D early last year :)

Anyone noticed/got round the mirror look up auto bracketting problem where the camera won't bracket the 3 shots if you have mirror lockup enabled (and perhaps self timer too)?

Anyone else use magic lantern? (sorry might have missed it earlier in the thread, not read back yet)

Andy

The duck photo is pretty much perfectly exposed (allowing for the white on the wings) The other two are actually OVER exposed with significant areas of the subject having completely blown and detail-less areas on them.

The 7D metering is fine. You just need to get to know how it works like any other camera. They're all different in the amount of exposure compensation required per metering mode.

Werecow - I'm very much an amateur, would you mind explaining about the Owl shots being "blown" - they looks fine to me. What do I need to look at.

Thanks

Werecow - I'm very much an amateur, would you mind explaining about the Owl shots being "blown" - they looks fine to me. What do I need to look at.

Thanks

Not the owl shots, the swan shots.:)

Blown means that the brightest parts of the image have no detail, the highlights are said to be 'blown' to pure white, no amount of recovery can reclaim detail from blown highlights.

However, if this was a Raw file, those highlights were probably recoverable as the images don't look generally over bright.

Well I've just bought my 2nd, to retire the 20d from 1st backup role, it really does have low light issues compared to the modern cameras.

I'm hoping the mk II will have dual card slots and if that, and better low light performance is all it has, it'll be perfect for me. I don't feel drawn to full frame at all, so 18mpix that's clean at high ISO's will do for me.

Not the owl shots, the swan shots.:)

Blown means that the brightest parts of the image have no detail, the highlights are said to be 'blown' to pure white, no amount of recovery can reclaim detail from blown highlights.

However, if this was a Raw file, those highlights were probably recoverable as the images don't look generally over bright.

Oops,

Thanks Phil

On the 5D3 you can map the buttons and change the the top dial button so that as soon as you take a photo press play you can then use the dial to zoom right in. Anyone know if this is possible on the 7D? The option doesn't seem to be there for it :(

Have a look at the Magic Lantern firmware, I'm pretty sure when you preview a shot it goes to max zoom by default called 'quick zoom'.

On the 5D3 you can map the buttons and change the the top dial button so that as soon as you take a photo press play you can then use the dial to zoom right in. Anyone know if this is possible on the 7D? The option doesn't seem to be there for it :(

There already are buttons to zoom right in straight away. They are set by default to do that. They are the two next to the back button focus.

Have a look at the Magic Lantern firmware, I'm pretty sure when you preview a shot it goes to max zoom by default called 'quick zoom'.

Will do thanks.

There already are buttons to zoom right in straight away. They are set by default to do that. They are the two next to the back button focus.

Yup I realise that, but this way is much easier and quicker as a friend showed me it on his 5D3 yesterday.

Another tip I learnt was to map the DOF button to AI Servo :)

Well I've just bought my 2nd, to retire the 20d from 1st backup role, it really does have low light issues compared to the modern cameras.

I'm hoping the mk II will have dual card slots and if that, and better low light performance is all it has, it'll be perfect for me. I don't feel drawn to full frame at all, so 18mpix that's clean at high ISO's will do for me.

I took my 20D out over the weekend after having used the 7d for just over a year.

My plan was to bolt on my 300mm and TC to take some shots while taking some long exposure landscapes with the 7d and 10-22mm. I quickly realised how limited the 20D was compared to the 7D, especially the tiny screen! Also once I had directly compared the same lens combination on the 7D, the contrast and focus speed and poor viewfinder too.

I can't beleive I used it for nie on 10 years now!

Still, wouldnt have a word said against it, it was brilliant at the time :p

Iam shooting a festival this weekend and need to send some photos from site. Does anyone know if you can rate/highlight/star photos in camera so that they are shown clearly in Lightroom when you import the CF card? I just want to be able to quickly find my best 5/6 or so photos and quickly edit those and email them off.

Back