Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Iam shooting a festival this weekend and need to send some photos from site. Does anyone know if you can rate/highlight/star photos in camera so that they are shown clearly in Lightroom when you import the CF card? I just want to be able to quickly find my best 5/6 or so photos and quickly edit those and email them off.

It's in the menu

7d_star_rating_1__hero.jpg

It's in the menu

Yeah thanks bud. Do you know if that rating is then shown in Lightroom? I can't check now.

Hi all,

Just a question from me now I have joined the thread. I've been getting into my long exposures with Lee filters recently and I'm experiencing a lot of colour noise, even at low ISOs, this one was shot tonight:

IMG_0666 as Smart Object-1 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Shot on a 7D with Canon 10-20, ISO 400, 164s F11 this evening at aprox 7.30. Shot raw and processed to reduce the exposure by 1.5 stops. no noise reduction. Even fairly aggressive settings in Camera raw don't really make a dent.

Can anyone advise why I seem to be getting so much and if others experience this? Even on ISO 100 I get a lot of colour noise.

Thanks for the advice - I've tried messing around with the sliders but it doesnt seem to make too much difference :(

I am wondering if this is a characteristic of the 7D, perhaps the lens or me..! I will have to do some specific testing I think unless anyone has had similar issues?

Thanks for the advice - I've tried messing around with the sliders but it doesnt seem to make too much difference :(

I am wondering if this is a characteristic of the 7D, perhaps the lens or me..! I will have to do some specific testing I think unless anyone has had similar issues?

Have you tried shooting with "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" disabled in the menus (C:Fn II: Image - option 1) - might be worth checking that its switched off as I recall reading somewhere it adds in unwanted noise - kind of the opposite of what it's supposed to do!!

Also try disabling "Highlight Tone Priority" in the same menu (option 3)

Thanks, I will have a look to see what they are set to (Bit late tonight..!), however, as I am shooting raw, I wouldn't think that changing them won't make a difference?

Hi all,

Just a question from me now I have joined the thread. I've been getting into my long exposures with Lee filters recently and I'm experiencing a lot of colour noise, even at low ISOs, this one was shot tonight:

IMG_0666 as Smart Object-1 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Shot on a 7D with Canon 10-20, ISO 400, 164s F11 this evening at aprox 7.30. Shot raw and processed to reduce the exposure by 1.5 stops. no noise reduction. Even fairly aggressive settings in Camera raw don't really make a dent.

Can anyone advise why I seem to be getting so much and if others experience this? Even on ISO 100 I get a lot of colour noise.

Have a read of the posts in the link below.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1079217&highlight=mini-review

Last edited:
Cheers Chris to many toggers want to diss the 7D but with careful processing you can run at 6400 iso I have not had the camera long and these are my first attempt at high ISO I have CN1 set for this specific task

Cheers Chris to many toggers want to diss the 7D but with careful processing you can run at 6400 iso I have not had the camera long and these are my first attempt at high ISO I have CN1 set for this specific task

I agree Terry, the 7D may not be noise-free, but given careful exposure and some sensible PP work it can produce
excellent results, as you have proven.

Your CN1 settings and PP seem to producing some great images. Have fun with your 7D.

Chris

Thanks need to brush up on my photoshop processing but so far happy with the 7D

Last edited:
Hi, mazdaman, would mind sharing your CN1 settings.
Your results seem pretty good.
Thanks

I have a 7D and was thinking of getting a battery grip, so I follow this thread for information.

I brought my 7D body only with just ten shots taken on eBay. I had some fairly standard Canon and Sigma lenses, but have brought 2 L lenses, just in case I eventually upgrade to full frame. I think its important to buy the best lenses possible. I personally only buy Canon branded equipment. Brought inferior products in the past and Canon always seem to produce good quality gear.

Received my 7D yesterday. Very very impressed at the moment, having upgraded from a 450D. The whole package is just ultimately better.

Looking forward to taking a lot of snaps now!

I was out with my 7D shooting some cycling event with a friend who has the 5D II. He was amazed at the 8 fps I was getting and that the buffering was so good. I was using my 28-300mm L. I have also just won a weeks lens hire. I've booked the 200-400mm 1.4x converter L for my next event. It's a one off chance of a lifetime, as I can't afford to buy one and wouldn't pay £492 for a weeks hire.

Received my 7D yesterday. Very very impressed at the moment, having upgraded from a 450D. The whole package is just ultimately better.

Looking forward to taking a lot of snaps now!

You have picked one of the best APS-C cameras out there. Enjoy.

The 1DIV is a beast. Not quite full frame, not quite 1.6x crop. Plus super quick AF.

I did toy with the idea of a 5D2 (or even a 5D1) and the 7D but in the end I couldnt see myself with 2 cameras.

That said, I didn't really have an issue with noise on the 7D. I'd never go above 1600 if I could help it, but did venture into 3200 sometimes. Once I got out of the habit of pixel peeping at 100% I was much happier :D

I have 3 cameras. Just in case one fails.

I have also just won a weeks lens hire. I've booked the 200-400mm 1.4x converter L for my next event. It's a one off chance of a lifetime, as I can't afford to buy one and wouldn't pay £492 for a weeks hire.

You lucky barsteward! Hopefully you'll regale us with your experience of this lens.

Back