Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

That's a stunning picture

Had my touch screen lock up/become un-responsive whilst in use this past weekend - turned power off and on and then it started working again - anyone else had this?

and to prove its the camera ,one taken today with a 135mm f2.8 film era lens that cost me £14 on e/bay ,all manual settings hand held .gotta love this camera
crazy by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

one from the other day ,lock on with b.i.f is probably giving me about a 95% success rate with this camera which is slightly below my old 1D3 but the photos can be pushed a lot further detail wise due to the extra 14mp
rip curl by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Like that one. Actually looks to me like it's jumping backwards [emoji23]

one from the other day ,lock on with b.i.f is probably giving me about a 95% success rate with this camera which is slightly below my old 1D3 but the photos can be pushed a lot further detail wise due to the extra 14mp
rip curl by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Another lovely shot :)

Would you mind sharing your 80d settings please?

Nige.

Another lovely shot :)

Would you mind sharing your 80d settings please?

Nige.
here you go nigel

just a update ,someone asked me this morning what A/F settings i was using on the 80D ,heres my current set up .not saying its the best but it seems to work fine for me .
also please remember with cameras like this i.e mid range that you will have to toggle between single point focus for stationary birds/subjects to expanded and multi point for b.i.f .

so heres the current settings (subject to change )
C.Fn.ii

(1) locked midway between - and 0

(2) No 1

(3) No 1

(4) release

(5) focus

as stated these seem to work fine at the moment ,whether winter and dimmer light will make for any changes remains to be seen

Not posted in a while, but this is what I've been up to recently. Shows another edge to the 80d with indoor sports at high ISO. Need a lot more practise and still testing different settings to get the cleanest image but getting there.

20161022013 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

20161022050 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Hi Guys.
A slightly off topic question. When i first got my 80D i posted about my experiences with the Sigma 18-35. Well ive borrowed that same lens again and having the same issues. This time is managed to get it better by using +20 MFA, and its noticeable better, although at certain distances its still hit or miss. Im tempted to get the Sigma dock to see if i can make things better (with the aim of swapping my never used anymore 70-200 f/4IS for it), but its not clear if the dock goes even further than the camera can. Its not a lot of money to buy but id still rather not put the extra time in if its not going to make much difference.

Thanks for any input.

A couple of recent (non Sigma) shots as well

The Eye at night
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Autumn colours
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Had a exposure nightmare day with mine today ,but I'm pretty certain it was me fiddling around with stuff the other night ,so done a full re-set tonight back to factory settings then re- installed ,got to wait for morning now to test it .fingers crossed

Hi Dave re the Sigma Dock I'm not sure about the Sigma 16-35mm but on the Sigma 150-600 C you can adjust the Focus at 4 different distant ranges. I have yet to test it out myself with mine 150-600, but it is very easy to use the dock for updating the lens firmware, plus on my 150-600 there is also two custom setting that you can set the lens to.
Just checked with the dock on your 16-35mm you are able to adjust 4 distant ranges with the focus adjustment.

Here I see a short video I found

View: https://youtu.be/dpkDJhiid8c

Not sure if this will be any help, but worth a look.

Cheers

Kath

Hi Guys.
A slightly off topic question. When i first got my 80D i posted about my experiences with the Sigma 18-35. Well ive borrowed that same lens again and having the same issues. This time is managed to get it better by using +20 MFA, and its noticeable better, although at certain distances its still hit or miss. Im tempted to get the Sigma dock to see if i can make things better (with the aim of swapping my never used anymore 70-200 f/4IS for it), but its not clear if the dock goes even further than the camera can. Its not a lot of money to buy but id still rather not put the extra time in if its not going to make much difference.

Thanks for any input.

A couple of recent (non Sigma) shots as well

The Eye at night by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Autumn colours by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Hi Chris

When you open the Sigma Optimization Pro software and the dock is attached to your lens and your PC/Mac It will look to see if there iare any firmware updates. After that you click on the Customization tab and then on the Focus Adjust. This is the part where you can adjust your lens. It looks similar to what MA looks on a Canon camera.

I still have to check whether my Sigma 150-600 C needs any calibration.

Cheers

Kath

Hi Chris

When you open the Sigma Optimization Pro software and the dock is attached to your lens and your PC/Mac It will look to see if there iare any firmware updates. After that you click on the Customization tab and then on the Focus Adjust. This is the part where you can adjust your lens. It looks similar to what MA looks on a Canon camera.

I still have to check whether my Sigma 150-600 C needs any calibration.

Cheers

Kath

Sorry should have said - I mean in the camera! I don't have a sigma lens but thought I could MA all my lenses on this camera?

Hi Chris yes you can, if you look in the manual it is page 427. You want to go to the orange menu tab on the 80D The one with the little camera icon. The instructions are quite good in the manual, better than me trying to explain them here.
Plus you will find videos on You Tube that can be a good help too.
Cheers

Kath

personally i wouldn't mess with the m.a in lens ,your far better off doing it max range in camera .. if needed which is very unusual with the new sigma lenses

and a dunnock taken in a very dark hide hole using a rogue safari on the pop up flash ,a super little toy for around £12 and at 2 ounces a lot lighter than a flash gun to lug around
the little rogue by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That's a cracker Jeff (y)

Hi Chris yes you can, if you look in the manual it is page 427. You want to go to the orange menu tab on the 80D The one with the little camera icon. The instructions are quite good in the manual, better than me trying to explain them here.
Plus you will find videos on You Tube that can be a good help too.
Cheers

Kath
Thanks a lot Kath I'll see how I get on. First time I've had the facility on any of my cameras so will give it a go see if it makes any difference.

Thanks a lot Kath I'll see how I get on. First time I've had the facility on any of my cameras so will give it a go see if it makes any difference.
Be extremely carefull Chris you can balls things up very easily you need a sturdy tripod ,a sloping measurement scale,and all test shots HAVE to be taken in one shot mode with the lens wide open .
What makes you think you have a problem in the first place .
I.e a slight mis-alignment of the focus point can give extremely different results

Last edited:
This is really good advice as its more I've not had it before so I'll give it a go. Other than my wide angle at f2. 8 and my zoom at 300mm I'm pretty sure all my lenses are spot on so although it may be just a case of cheap glass (albeit not kit lens cheap) it might not be the issue I think it is and I just need better glass!

It's also not that accurate with zoom lenses either Chris .really can work well on primes though . If you want it checked out I,m just past Chester/deeside if your over this way at all

It had better be as good as you guys are making it out to be ;)
Order placed this morning as a sidekick for my 5D3.
After something a little smaller & lighter, but more capable than my old 1100D.
Had a play with a 70D a few weeks ago and confidnt it fits the smaller / lighter requirements. I guess over the next few weeks I'll see if it is 'capable' :)

i've had mine six months and still learning new tricks i.e you have exp comp with auto iso found out this weekend

Does it give you exposure comp in full manual mode + auto iso?
Yep it certainly does just press the Q button to access ,and I think you can also make shortcut buttons

Yep it certainly does just press the Q button to access ,and I think you can also make shortcut buttons

That's interesting. One feature that's lacking on my 70D, which I find frustrating is exp comp in manual mode/auto iso.

Yep and it works well to as I found out today

Hi Dave re the Sigma Dock I'm not sure about the Sigma 16-35mm but on the Sigma 150-600 C you can adjust the Focus at 4 different distant ranges. I have yet to test it out myself with mine 150-600, but it is very easy to use the dock for updating the lens firmware, plus on my 150-600 there is also two custom setting that you can set the lens to.
Just checked with the dock on your 16-35mm you are able to adjust 4 distant ranges with the focus adjustment.

Not sure if this will be any help, but worth a look.

Cheers

Kath

Hi Kath.

Thanks for the reply and link. Ive given up on that lens now (glad I didn't buy it). By using a +20 MFA it seemed to be much better in doors and close up, but i was out the other night and took quite a few distance shots with the 18-35 and everyone of them was soft. No matter what i did, other than use Live view to AF would get me sharp images. I sung the VF the Camera was beeping that AF was achieved, and even in manual mode using the LCD and maginification showing focus was spot on would result in soft images. No lens is worth that hassle to me.

Soooo, ive gone and ordered a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. This should be perfect for this time of year. I had one years ago on a 30D, 40D and 60D, and it was fantastic. Had it for 5 years. A few years after i sold it I tried to replace it. I had two copies and both were decentred and i gave up. Thats when i got my 5Dmkiii.

I seem to have given up on the FF side now, i really love my 80D. Ill be selling the 5Dmkiii and 24-70 f/2.8 Mkii as i cant see me using these again (if the 17-55 works out). I love the 24-70 on the 80D but i feel id rather shoot with lower frame rates and have IS rather than up the ISO. Also 24mm is a bit long as a wide FL for me. The 80D is the prefect camera for me and i have no issue about using non L lenses now.

Hi Dave, that is frustrating. I had the Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS myself. It was a great lens, very sharp. I sold it and the rest of my EFS lenses when I bought
My Canon 5D mkiii. I recently sold my 5Diii with the 24-125 lens, as I was not really using it. Only had approx 3500 shutter count. I loved the quality but to be honest I think it was sad seeing it just sat in its bag. It would have been different if I could have got out more to use it.
I'm liking the 80D though. Though I would like a better short range lens. It is an expensive hobby

Cheers
Kath

Back