Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

So I finally got out and bolted on the Sigma TC-1401 teleconverter, glad to report that it works without any error codes. This was only my third trip out with 80D and the Sigma 150-600 my intial assessment is you need good light (like we didnt know that) yes it does hunt sometimes but the light conditons today were overcast with the odd amount of hazy sunshine. Attached some images just for testing. Images have been adjusted for levels and sharpened. All shots taken on a monopod

tc8 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

tc 5 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

tc7 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

tc1 by mazdaman2008, on Flickrtc6 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
i realise that roy ,having had the 70d and hated it this one was a gamble ,but its paid off .in wildlife most shots will need cropping a fair bit so it also works that way with 24mp files to play with
What was it you disliked about the 70d? Glad to see gamble paid off.

thats good to know mazdaman ,i'll forward that info to my mate he might have a duff one

What was it you disliked about the 70d? Glad to see gamble paid off.
mine wouldn't hold its micro adjust settings ,after begging and borrowing half a dozen other cameras to check it wasn't the lens it was finally narrowed down to the camera . and when i spoke to a canon rep at the photoshow she admitted they had been having problems with them .obviously yours is o.k

one of mine from yesterdayblack and red by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

thats good to know mazdaman ,i'll forward that info to my mate he might have a duff one
Hi Jeff could well be a duff one I found that it worked fine. Focus was OK for 80% of the time but as I said the weather and my lack of technique with this new combination it probably the reason for focus failures. Like all lens+ tele converters I have used over the years it's a trade off reach vs focusing as photographers we are blessed with this excellent lens. As a footnote 80D is set for focus priority as is the Siggy. I hope to try again on Sunday. Overall really happy with the lens and converter just need to practice more. The 80D is a great camera. I have the 6D as well yet to try the Siggy on the 6D

Last edited:
following this post of yours i got my mate to bring his along on our meet up on tuesday ,i only bolted it on for a few test shots and to say that i,m impressed would be a understatement .yes it works fine with the 80D sigma 150-600 sport combo and i found the a/f was not only fast it was sharp to if anything offering a improvement on the bare lens (not really possible ) but it just seemed that way.i only took a few test shots to evaluate on my computer but wish i had kept it on all day .
below is a random shot of a dog taken at 840mm hand held and wide ope at f9 , god know how much better it would have been stepped down and on a tripod .on my wanted list anyway .
nosey by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

After much hinting to my wife, I'm getting one of these for Christmas! :)
My 70D and 18-135stm will go to our son.
What would be the ideal walkabout lens to pair with the 80D? I have a Tamron 17-55 nonvc & efs10-22and am thinking the new efs 18-135usm, efs15-85usm or lose the wide end and go for L glass?

I've stuck a 24-105L on mine, excellent.

Very good photo Jeff. I have to say that Teleconverters have always been the domain of F2.8-F4 lenses for many years with to many compromises. I think Sigma have done a very good job of matching both lens and teleconverter. There is of course the crop in from the 600 end argument but I am happy with the compromise I have with the 150-600+ TC combination along with the 80D which handles high ISO very well as you have demonstrated with your contribution to the 80D thread.

sure,and thanks to you for giving us the heads up that it actually worked with the 80D ,my mate said it doesn't work with his 7D2 so i took it as read it wouldn't on the 80D . what actually surprised me more than anything though was the speed of focus ,i would estimate it was at least twice as fast as the canon mkii which i have been using and as such makes it a contender for b.i.f .

Yep, already covered this earlier on in the thread. In my case its been hit or miss as far as AF goes, to the point where i gave up. Nice sharp lens but not reliable. I had too many shots that we completely soft, with no way it was user error. Even on a tripod I could never get a good % of keepers. Plenty of others have had issues as well, although of course not everyone.
I did find it to be more accurate using Live view, in fact using live view was the only way i could ensure i would get 100% focus.

Took this a while ago, which i was happy with. It was shot through glass though, but i like how messy the lights look.

Sorry Dave missed this reply, I've read back through the whole thread it's kind of put me off this combo now.

Merry Christmas all - have managed to escape for 5 mins and take a few test shots with my new 80D, unwrapped this morning!

I have a small concern which I hope you can knock on the head for me - when I opened up the (body-only) box, the contents did not appear to be "wrapped up" in the usual Canon manner (eg bubble wrap; plastic, blue tape etc that you usually find when opening for the first time ) battery was already in it's yellow cover, lying loose in the box - it showed signs of marks on the terminals. A quick check on youtube 80d unboxing videos shows the battery in its own protective blue wrapper.

This got me thinking - was it an ex-display / used model?

The body is spotless, no marks etc but sticking an sd card in, the first shot I take is numbered 100-7368, tried a different card, formatted in camera also, and next shot number is 100-7369.

This looks to me like the camera has a shutter count of 7300+. Would that be a valid assumption? I understand the 80D doesn't record shutter count as part of the EXIF, so apps/web uploads won't confirm this.

Any thoughts before I approach Jessops, from whom I bought the "only body" left in store? TIA.

EDIT: just realised that the camera should have prompted me to set time and date when first switching on? It didn't, it was set to 01.04.16, set to RAW and ISO 800. Have emailed Canon with serial # and I'll speak to Jessops when they re-open.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas all - have managed to escape for 5 mins and take a few test shots with my new 80D, unwrapped this morning!

I have a small concern which I hope you can knock on the head for me - when I opened up the (body-only) box, the contents did not appear to be "wrapped up" in the usual Canon manner (eg bubble wrap; plastic, blue tape etc that you usually find when opening for the first time ) battery was already in it's yellow cover, lying loose in the box - it showed signs of marks on the terminals. A quick check on youtube 80d unboxing videos shows the battery in its own protective blue wrapper.

This got me thinking - was it an ex-display / used model?

The body is spotless, no marks etc but sticking an sd card in, the first shot I take is numbered 100-7368, tried a different card, formatted in camera also, and next shot number is 100-7369.

This looks to me like the camera has a shutter count of 7300+. Would that be a valid assumption? I understand the 80D doesn't record shutter count as part of the EXIF, so apps/web uploads won't confirm this.

Any thoughts before I approach Jessops, from whom I bought the "only body" left in store? TIA.

EDIT: just realised that the camera should have prompted me to set time and date when first switching on? It didn't, it was set to 01.04.16, set to RAW and ISO 800. Have emailed Canon with serial # and I'll speak to Jessops when they re-open.
Sounds repackaged, if it was bought as new that's poor from the retailer. High street big name by any chance?

This is the second one like this I have heard of in a few weeks ,looks like you have a demo or returned model ,get straight back on to the branch as soon as they open ,and demand a brand new one that you paid for .
I had this a few years ago with another high street chain,I had returned two Nikon bodies both registered with Nikon and both faulty ,got a full refund and switched to canon ,a month or so later I got a e.mail from Nikon asking why someone else was trying to register a camera that was registered to me ,I replied to the e.mail with no further response ,this kind of hints to me that the camera companies are turning a blind eye to it
If you can try to get a shutter count there are a few places on google where you can get a program to get the actual count off the camera by plugging in to the computer ,google is your friend here

I hope you get it sorted Paul, that's pretty bad by Jessops. hope it doesn't spoil your 80D experience :canon:

I bought mine from jessops and it was all wrapped. I remember having to charge the battery first before using it and setting all the date time etc. Hope you get sorted.

Not an 80d, but I bought "new" camera from Jessops a few years ago for my FIL birthday. Same thing, had been used/pre-owned. Took it back and got a refund. I wouldn't buy from them again after that.

Thanks all, it has taken the shine off it, particularly as I had to wait until Xmas day to open it! And I desperately want to use it! Will give the shop a call and the opportunity to sort it...

I am in the same boat looking to upgrade my 60D.
How does the AF, AI Servo and tracking compare to the 7D ii? Also noise at high ISO? Also is it possible to meter from the selected AF point?

There is a programme I have on my PC that is free to download and use and it has given the shutter count on every Canon camera I have connected and tried so far. We have visitors at the moment but I will look later and let you know what it is called if you are interested?

There is a programme I have on my PC that is free to download and use and it has given the shutter count on every Canon camera I have connected and tried so far. We have visitors at the moment but I will look later and let you know what it is called if you are interested?
Yes please, though it looks like the newer Canons, including the 80d don't record shutter count

Yes please, though it looks like the newer Canons, including the 80d don't record shutter count
I snook out of the room for a few minutes.
It's called Astrophotography tool APT and the demo version is all you need to find the shutter count.
Download the program and start it, connect your camera via usb and switch it on. Use the "connect" radio button (top right) and the count should be displayed bottom left.
Good luck and would be interested to know if it works with the 80D?

I am in the same boat looking to upgrade my 60D.
How does the AF, AI Servo and tracking compare to the 7D ii? Also noise at high ISO? Also is it possible to meter from the selected AF point?
Vicky if you go to the bird photos section , find one of my pics .then follow it back to my flickrstream ,you will find lots of pics from the 80D I don't hide my exif data ,so it will give a pretty good appraisal ,I have found you can shoot up to 6400 ISO with minimal noise using the right p/p methods

Cheers Chris, will give it a go when I can get on the pc...

I snook out of the room for a few minutes.
It's called Astrophotography tool APT and the demo version is all you need to find the shutter count.
Download the program and start it, connect your camera via usb and switch it on. Use the "connect" radio button (top right) and the count should be displayed bottom left.
Good luck and would be interested to know if it works with the 80D?

Sadly it doesn't appear to work.But thank you for suggesting.

80d.jpg

Has anyone had any compatibility issues with any 3rd party lenses? I have a Tamron 17-50 VC, 60mm f2 macro and 70-300 VC which currently work fine on my 60D.

I've got a sigma 17-50 hsm and tamron 70-300 vc and work without issue - the thing that's not recognised by the camera is my 3rd party yongnuo flash although can trigger it and use manually, just doesn't let you change settings in camera

I've got a sigma 17-50 hsm and tamron 70-300 vc and work without issue - the thing that's not recognised by the camera is my 3rd party yongnuo flash although can trigger it and use manually, just doesn't let you change settings in camera

Thank you, I also have a Yongnuo 565ex but usually use off camera triggered by built in. Does Ettl still work ok?

My YN568EX II seems to communicate with the 80D. I didn't play around too much, but certainly changing the zoom on the lens changed the zoom setting on the flash.

Exposure Compensation question...

In AV or TV exposure compensation can easily be dialled in by half depressing the shutter button, releasing, and then turning the mail wheel. :)
In full Manual, obviously the exposure is selected by the 3 points of the exposure triangle.

However, if you use Manual mode with Auto iso, exposure compensation is once again a tool in your arsenal that you may want to use.
I've found that this can be fairly easily dialed in from the Q menu (and I assume that it can be selected from the main menus), but is there a button combination that allows you to alter the exposure combination without resorting to the menus? It doesn't seem to be the main or rear wheels.

You can set any of the buttons to do just about anything. I don't know about exposure compensation specifically but I am sure a quick perusal of the manual will point you in the right direction.

Back