Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

No problem. There are many settings that we dont bother looking at as they seems minor, but can make a big difference when used.

I went over to Canary Wharf on Sunday. They had a free outdoor Nashville meets London concert. I was made (by mate and girlfriend) to sit right by the stage, so the stage monitors were in most un cropped shots. We had a good view though so i tried a few lenses out.

I was very impressed with how the 80D handled the wide dynamic range. Im not sure how it would compare with ym 5Dmkiii but it seems to be really good at this sort of this. I did use high ISO as well, as i had the shutter speed quite high.

First up is the 70-300L. My fav lens still.

William the Conqueror
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

This was with my new (to me) 18-135 STM. Very impressed with this lens and its going to get a lot of use, although i may 'upgrade' to the new version at some point. STM is accurate but feels very slow

William the Conqueror

And this was with my mates 70-200 f/2.8 mkii. Its nice lens but not one i really lust after.

William the Conqueror

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of both the 80D and 1DIV?

In particular AF speed, accuracy and high ISO image quality.

I mainly shoot wildlife and I'm looking to change my 1DIV for something newer and I'm considering the 80D because I can't justify a 1DXII and I'm unsure about the 7DII.

Thanks

Neil

I have a friend with a 7DII and she's not overly impressed with the high ISO performance. Admittedly she is used to a 5DIII.

Part of me is saying don't deviate from a 1D. I've been using a 1 series since 2005 (1DIIN then 1DIV) and I'm tempted to pick up a second hand 1DX but I'm also conscious of the ££ side of it. I no longer shoot for money.

I use one, high iso is ok, wouldn't say outstanding though. I did a comparison with the 80d at high iso, images are near the beginning of this thread I think. The 80d was a bit better iirc. The dynamic range is better on the newer sensor in the 80d. The af is still really good on the 80d from the test reports I have read. If your thinking a 2nd hand 1dx, perhaps it's worth checking out the 5d mk1v...

Be interesting to see owners views of the 80d for your situation. What lenses do you use?

Yeah I'm not doing anything until the 5DIV comes out. I think it'll be more expensive than a 1DX based on what I've read.

All of my glass is L glass - 17-40, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8II, 300 f4, 500 f4.

Thanks!

i use the 80d for wildlife ,can't really fault it so far gone as far as 6400iso without noise being a problem after p/p can probably push it further if needed,heres a hand held shot from yesterday using sigma 150-600mm sport which is a bit of a beast ,plenty of b.i.f on my flickr stream to yes the 7d2 is slightly faster and possibly more accurate focussing but this one seems to produce better images when the going gets rough .
large white (thanks lads) by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I used PayPal to buy mine from Panomoz. I Used* the PayPal credit so it's interest free for 4 months so just spreading the payment over this.

EDIT: Sorry, *i used the paypal credit, wasn't telling you to use it!

I didn't realize the PayPal credit worked with sites other than Ebay? I'll have to bear that in mine!

Anyone decided to buy the grip to use on this camera?
I have one on my 5D3; because I find it better balanced with bigger lenses.
Wondered if it would still be the case with a smaller body like this one,though...

I bought one of these on Wednesday as a replacement for an ailing 20D...

And my goodness - cameras have come a long way since 2005! :)

Wow, yes, that's a a huge jump. Welcome to the digital age lol.

Yes - something like that! Focus works without me having to revert to centre point mode, higher than ISO800 is useable, and NFC is highly entertaining. :)

It has also helped me fall in love with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 again.

Yeah, you can use PayPal all over the show now. Even in high street shops.

How does the repayment work on PayPal Credit? Can I pay however much I like whenever I want? I.e can you pay a whack up front and bring down the monthly repayments?

How does the repayment work on PayPal Credit? Can I pay however much I like whenever I want? I.e can you pay a whack up front and bring down the monthly repayments?
Operates like any other CC :)

We had a few bands on over the bank holiday weekend on the Southbank. Although it was during the day i think the 80D copped really well with the mixed lighting.

The Ballroom Dance Band - River Stage.

The Craze@River Stage, Southbank

The Craze@River Stage, Southbank

Sat-27-Aug-0969

Munro - River Stage Southbank

Duo at the Philippines Tourism Weekend

Last edited:
Love the muted feel and detail in the last one! Got me thinking about upgrading my 70D...

I'm very tempted. 70D is more my upgrade though, having a closer look, the 70D still is fairly compelling

Oh my I've just treated myself! Upgrade from a 550d. Will post some thoughts up when I've used in anger

Nice one. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Slightly off topic but my mate has just preordered the 5Dmkiv. He just sold his MKiii. He'd should stop be getting it on Thursday. He keeps texting me it has this and that new feature, it's nice being able to reply yes, so does my 80D :).
Not that I saying the two cameras are equal, but it's nice to not feel like I'm losing out on features I actually want and use. The MKIII seems very old now, even though it still takes great shots.

Thank you. Yep thats correct Dave. Finding it a very versatile lens.

Thanks all for this really useful thread!

Currently have a 550D with 18-55 and 55-250, plus a Tamron 18-270 as a travel lens.

About to take the plunge and buy an 80D with kit 18-135 USM, plus a 430EX flash (I want to eventually do more portraist - I'll be getting a 50mm 1.8 for this once I master the cam).
I do lots of aircraft (RIAT, Farnborough, Red Bull air race, Duxford etc), probably going to hire a Canon 100-400 L Mk.2 next year, or a Sigma 100-600.

You'll love the 80D ;)

Thanks all for this really useful thread!

Currently have a 550D with 18-55 and 55-250, plus a Tamron 18-270 as a travel lens.

About to take the plunge and buy an 80D with kit 18-135 USM, plus a 430EX flash (I want to eventually do more portraist - I'll be getting a 50mm 1.8 for this once I master the cam).
I do lots of aircraft (RIAT, Farnborough, Red Bull air race, Duxford etc), probably going to hire a Canon 100-400 L Mk.2 next year, or a Sigma 100-600.

I have just made the same move - 550d to 80d. I've had a quick play last night - looks and feels excellent - I can just tell I am going to love it.

Quick question: I have the charger for the 550D, I know it will be a different one for the 80D, but is the mains input the same figure of 8 connector??? (so I only need to carry one mains lead with me).

Quick question: I have the charger for the 550D, I know it will be a different one for the 80D, but is the mains input the same figure of 8 connector??? (so I only need to carry one mains lead with me).

Not sure as I traded mine in, charger included, so cannot check the wattage etc. But what I can say is that you will need to charge the battery before you use it the camera - I went from the shop to my local cricket club to try out and was mightily disappointed not have been able to use it straight out of box like say you can a mobile!

Done it, ordered, delivery tomorrow...... Not going to sleep tonight am I!!!

I'm sure you will love the camera, just got one myself a couple of weeks ago and going to Duxford show this weekend with a Canon 100-400mm L mk. II (hired) can't wait :banana:

I'm sure you will love the camera, just got one myself a couple of weeks ago and going to Duxford show this weekend with a Canon 100-400mm L mk. II (hired) can't wait :banana:
Excellent! Busy this weekend or else I would be at Duxford (not managed a trip this year).
Camera has arrived, battery on charge, everything else cancelled!! (good job I'm retired)

Has anyone used a Tamron 18-270 Di II VC PZD on an 80D???

Now I have a 18-135 USM, with an 18-55 and 55-250 IS for the 550D, I think the Tamron might be superfluous?

I did buy it as a travel lens when I am less interested in absolute IQ, but I now have a Lumix TZ70 (excellent little cam) for travel.

For air shows next year I'll probably hire a Canon 100-400L or a Sigma 15-600 Sport.

Any thoughts??

(Probably trade the Tamron for a 50mm 1.8 STM)

Has anyone used a Tamron 18-270 Di II VC PZD on an 80D???

Now I have a 18-135 USM, with an 18-55 and 55-250 IS for the 550D, I think the Tamron might be superfluous?

I did buy it as a travel lens when I am less interested in absolute IQ, but I now have a Lumix TZ70 (excellent little cam) for travel.

For air shows next year I'll probably hire a Canon 100-400L or a Sigma 15-600 Sport.

Any thoughts??

(Probably trade the Tamron for a 50mm 1.8 STM)

Yes, i've tired the Tamron on the 80D and i was less than impressed. Not sure if it's the lens/camera combination, lenses has been dropped or it's simply not as good as the 18-135 USM. The 18-135 USM, produces much sharper images so found on holiday i was better using this and just cropping.

Tried the Tamron and 18-135 USM in identical conditions.

The Tamron is being part-ex!!!

18-135 knocks the spots of the Tamron (apart from reach, but I still have the 55-250 and it is a good example - got some cracking shots of Red Arrows with it.

I'm not saying the Tamron is bad, but you have to work at it (focus in particular is sluggish and variable), not what you want for air-shows. I also think it lacks contrast compared to my Canon lenses.

Anyone decided to buy the grip to use on this camera?
I have one on my 5D3; because I find it better balanced with bigger lenses.
Wondered if it would still be the case with a smaller body like this one,though...
Yes I have one fitted ,a Meike one two reasons one I have big mutt hands ,and secondly my main lens is a sigma 150-600 sport and the rig felt front heavy without the grip .all works fine and the battery life is like forever

Back