Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Hi Kath,.

Yep, same here. My 5Dmkiii just sits in a cupboard these days and its a real shame. I dont get out as much as I used to, but I always take my 80D out with me.

One of my fav lenses is the EF-S 10-18, which is a lens i would never have dreamed i'd be using coming from the 5D and 24-70 f/2.8 mkii. Even the secondhand 18-135 STM that i got gets more use than the 24-70.
Saying that now its dark a lot more the 18-135 is just not going to cut it as well as a faster lens. As good as the 80D is i can see a difference in the higher ISO settings between this and my 5Dmkiii, and try and keep this low.

having had a bad dose of man flu last week ,i hadn't done much since monday .so managed a hour or two back out today and bolted on the wifes trusty 400mm f5.6 .got this jackdaw strutting his stuff ,i love the way the 80D has handled the blacks against the bright background
united colours of autumn by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

having had a bad dose of man flu last week ,i hadn't done much since monday .so managed a hour or two back out today and bolted on the wifes trusty 400mm f5.6 .got this jackdaw strutting his stuff ,i love the way the 80D has handled the blacks against the bright background

Stunning photo, especially loving the background :cool:

I like the 80D ,i really mean that ,this is my first winter with the camera and as light levels have dropped so have good pics .after a conversation with a mate re- manual exposure i have been trying to find the happy medium to keep shooting on dull days .i didn't really take to manual so i have now reverted to shooting in A/V mode with auto iso set and a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec set as well this still allows for active exposure compensation to the above shot was 2/3rds of a stop positive
exif reads 1/1000th sec
f8
i.s.o 5000
+ 2/3rds of a stop pos .
YEP i love the 80D check pic out for noise .

i like the 80D by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and another from this morning ,this time at i.s.o 6400 ,noisy en-um

pushing the limits by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like a fabulous Camera, I'd have to sell my 700D for funds and also buy grey, but it looks like the upgrade I want/need to further my photography. Great images Jeff, and everyone else.

Super set Chris ,yep it seems that auto ISO with the 80D is a game changer ,especially with the longer lenses ,I have never had much faith in auto ISO on canons previously but with this one it works like a dream .still not quiet as good as some nikons I have used but well worth using

Looks like a fabulous Camera, I'd have to sell my 700D for funds and also buy grey, but it looks like the upgrade I want/need to further my photography. Great images Jeff, and everyone else.

Tempting if you have a Quidco account with 10% cashback on Currys purchases this weekend. So 80d body £869 if you use code IMAGINE50. Canon's cashback of £80, potentially nets out at shade over £700 if quidco comes off. Beats grey?

Tempting if you have a Quidco account with 10% cashback on Currys purchases this weekend. So 80d body £869 if you use code IMAGINE50. Canon's cashback of £80, potentially nets out at shade over £700 if quidco comes off. Beats grey?

cracking price thanks for that. unfortunately i dont have 700 quid to spend on a camera right now.

Stunning capture Jeff. Perfect timing.

I posted a few days ago about getting a 17-55 f/2.8. Well, i got it and its ok. doesnt seem to be as good a si remember it on my 60D. Anyway, ive had a few dreamy looking shots (in a bad way) so its going back, and ive dusted the old 5Dmkiii off. Seems to be a better camera for me at the moment. As much as i love the 80D i noticed i was hitting the higher ISO settings a lot more.
Its good to have a choice though. For now I'll probably use my 5Dmkiii and 24-70 f/2.8L mkii During the week

Great shot Jeff. I'm trying to find any known Owl locations around Oxfordshire but the don't seem to get published, I guess for good reason. I'll have a bit more time on my hands in the next few weeks so hopefully get out and about a bit more. There's an RSPB area to the east of Oxford so hope to get over there.

Anybody using an 80d with a Sigma 18-35 F1.8? How do you find it?

Finally purchased my Sigma 150-600 c today to pair up with my 80D Have been waiting for a price drop thankfully Black Friday deal came good

Last edited:
Wex have a good Black Friday deal for the 80D double cash back of £160 if you use Top cashback you can claim a further 3.9% nett cost £710 which I think is a pretty good deal.

Good set Steve ,using the sigma 150-600 sport on mine means I often have to push the ISO limits this winter ,so far gone up to 6400iso ,there is noise present at this level but it's easily cleaned up far far better than any camera I have used before .the 80D is a super camera

There are far too many shots of furry or feathered things in this thread.
Here are a couple of low light shots taken with my new 80D. It is certainly almost up there with my 5D3 for IQ, and has the advantage of being lighter and more compact.

BR Std 9F 92212
by Tim White, on Flickr

Br Std 4MT 76017 - Watercress Belle
by Tim White, on Flickr

Okay, so these were taken at iso 100, but they are fantastically clean images.

Anybody using an 80d with a Sigma 18-35 F1.8? How do you find it?

Yep, already covered this earlier on in the thread. In my case its been hit or miss as far as AF goes, to the point where i gave up. Nice sharp lens but not reliable. I had too many shots that we completely soft, with no way it was user error. Even on a tripod I could never get a good % of keepers. Plenty of others have had issues as well, although of course not everyone.
I did find it to be more accurate using Live view, in fact using live view was the only way i could ensure i would get 100% focus.

Took this a while ago, which i was happy with. It was shot through glass though, but i like how messy the lights look.

BUMP Rollerdisco located on the South Bank in London
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have finally had chance to get out and start the learning curve of my Sigma 150- 600 Contemporary + 80D combo pretty impressed with these first snaps. Pretty happy so far but a lot to learn with the various options via the dock. Have just ordered the TC 1401 tele converter
oh dear ,wish you had asked first ,the 80D does seem to have compatibility issues with t.c's i have tried several with mine and the only one that actually works is the canon 1.4 mk2 tc .hope you can return it if thats the case .if it does work please let us know

oh dear ,wish you had asked first ,the 80D does seem to have compatibility issues with t.c's i have tried several with mine and the only one that actually works is the canon 1.4 mk2 tc .hope you can return it if thats the case .if it does work please let us know

Hi Jeff

What has been the problem with the Sigma one? Mine should be here on Thursday I will post up some photos once I have chance to try it

So far I have tried the kendo h.d and canon mk3 neither worked ,a mate has a 7D2 and tried the new sigma one that wouldn't work either .the only option is the canon mk2 .
Please let us know in case they have changed anything

So far I have tried the kendo h.d and canon mk3 neither worked ,a mate has a 7D2 and tried the new sigma one that wouldn't work either .the only option is the canon mk2 .
Please let us know in case they have changed anything

Will do Jeff

ISO6400, quite impressive isn't it :)

How can a TC not work? My Kendo 2x converter works fine with my 80D.
It's when it's coupled to one of the sigma 150-600mm f 6.3 lenses John ,with either C or S models the camera reports a non recognised lens trying to a/f at f9 . This is specific to either of those lenses and the 80D and 7Dmkii bodies .hope that clarifies it for you

P.s I used the same lens with a kenko 1.4 HD tc on a 1D3 and that gave all focus points usage with superb i.q ,but it wouldn't work on the 80D .unfortunately the camera died hence the 80D

Last edited:
Looks super, any pp done on this? I would really like to compare the 80d sensor with my 7dmk2, even just for curiosity,
Just my normal process through Lightroom and Photoshop with the same amount of noise reduction applied as with every other shot .

Got plenty of others at same ISO or at 5000 ISO they all clean up the same ,as long as the image is sharp noise is no problem ,but that goes for any camera . Makes me wonder how far I can really push it . Yes you do lose some fine detail but overall not to shady

Last edited:
Last edited:
Loving all the bird shots. Are they all with the 400mm? Been resisting one of those for some time for my 70d[emoji5]
nope there all with a sigma 150-600mm sport lens ,start saving :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ha. Good to have something to aim at! You think the 80d to be a big upgrade from the 70d in iso performance?

Well one shot at 6400iso and two shots at 5000iso ,posted above ,you tell me or is this a trick question . the proof of the pudding is as they say in the eating

Genuine question. Happy with iso on 70 but not often push it. You have pushed the 80 and looks superb to me.

i realise that roy ,having had the 70d and hated it this one was a gamble ,but its paid off .in wildlife most shots will need cropping a fair bit so it also works that way with 24mp files to play with

Back