Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

You can see the AF selection modes and points but not the metering mode.

Can't see the AF selection mode in the view finder on mine. Only ISO. Just checked now as soon as I press AF, DRIVE or the metering button all green text in the view finder disappears, whereas pressing ISO allows me to change it, and view it in the VF.

Probably just needs setting up. I don't have mine with me and don't have time to look through the manual at the moment. Have you turned illumination on?

I know if i press the small button up near the shutter button, or the one top right on the back of the camera i get all the AF area's and points illuminated in the VF. These show right in the midddle of the VF, not at the bottom.

Just a thought. You aren't talking about the AF drive modes are you? You cant see those in the VF.

Yep that's what I meant, I can see the focus points no probs. Ah well I will have to cope I guess. Thanks for your help.

Had a quick run out with my 80D today and i'm very impressed. Its not very often I let the dog of his lead but as i wanted to check my camera I let him free for 10 mins. Hopefully when I know my way around the camera a bit better, results will improve even more. I'm very impressed with the AF speed and IQ.These were with a 24-105 F4 L IS.
Canon 80D with 24-105 f4 L IS by Kevin Bryce, on Flickr

Harvey beach 2 1080x by Kevin Bryce, on Flickr

Last edited:
So I've taken the plunge and ordered an 80D from HDEW to replace my 8 year old EOS 40D. I can't wait to get out shooting with a modern camera.

So I've taken the plunge and ordered an 80D from HDEW to replace my 8 year old EOS 40D. I can't wait to get out shooting with a modern camera.

When I went from my 350d to the 70d, I felt exactly the same way, the difference was like night and day. I was like a child at Christmas, overly excited and out with it at every opportunity!

When I then upgraded to the 80d, the difference was less pronounced, as was the excitement. :) Nevertheless, the 80d is an excellent camera. Enjoy!

Funds are growing nicely and I could be ordering soon but first a couple of questions.

Best place to purchase ? HDEW seem to be around £755 with 3 year warranty (not sure if that is standard) and used on eBay seem no cheaper.

What is "live view" ? Is that where you can see a long exposure shot "develop" on the screen as the time goes by or is it just so you can see your composition etc before you take the shot ?

Many thanks

Tony

Funds are growing nicely and I could be ordering soon but first a couple of questions.

Best place to purchase ? HDEW seem to be around £755 with 3 year warranty (not sure if that is standard) and used on eBay seem no cheaper.

What is "live view" ? Is that where you can see a long exposure shot "develop" on the screen as the time goes by or is it just so you can see your composition etc before you take the shot ?

Many thanks

Tony
I purchased mine from HDew. The 3yr warranty is with them rather than the 12 month with Canon, as they are grey imports. My body came in a kit box, minus the lens, and an adapter plug for the charger. Live view is so you can compose your shot, rather than looking through the view finder, and with the articulated screen its makes it a whole lot easier when the camera is low down etc.

Just bought 16-35 from e global no problem so can recommend them current prices £669 with 2 year warranty cash back through quidco a further 2.3% off I bought my 80D from Portus Digital 3 year warranty current price £739 hope this helps with your purchase options

Amazing how you can own a camera for a long time, have a good field guide and still not be aware of all that it can do, Case in point; owned a 70d and traded to an 80d about 12 months ago and even though I have read the guide on more than 1 occasion, it's only just dawned on me that both cameras have a time-lapse movie feature! Can't think I'll ever use it that much but good to know it's available.

Trouble is the 80D manual is 500+ pages :eek:

Good to hear it does time lapse. Quite like that feature.

Weather was glorious first thing, then about 10am, just as we got to the viewing park with the kids at Manchester airport, it started raining heavily, which made for some challenging conditions but when the aircraft landed and took off the spray/rain on the runway made for interesting images. It has to be the quietest heavy aircraft the A380.

ƒ/6.3
  • 130.0 mm
  • 1/1000
  • 1250 ISO

Wet Emirates_-3 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

I fell out with photography about 4 years ago, I sold off all my kit 7D 5Dii and a number of lenses. The 80D caught my eye and after a few weeks of thinking should I or shouldn't I, I've taken the plunge, what a great camera, I just wish I had not sold my lenses.

One bass cab lighter, £280 richer, funds are getting there. Purchase soon I think.

Well Ive just sold my 5Dmkiii, finally. Thinking of getting a 5Dmkiv as i love my 80D so much, but appreciate the advances the mkiv has. The mkiv is the best of both worlds but i find the 80D such fun to use, even over my mates mkiv that Ive had on loan.
Also thinking of selling off some bass gear to fund a 100-400 mkii, but that will come later.

Last edited:
Taken the plunge and pressed the button :)

Think I need to be getting my 60D moved on sharply now to part fund it.

Ordered from HDEW and away this weekend so crossing fingers it may just arrive in time before we leave.

Getting me worried now as I'm still reading the manual on the 60D lol

Many thanks, not sure if the basschat picture will meet the competition criteria but always good to get an early entry in.

The older Canon bodies are good grounding for using the later ones. They all pretty much work the same way. Must admit i brought a book on the 80D only last week as I wasn't sure i was doing something right.
Lots of features ill never use as i only shoot raw, which is sometimes a shame as there are some really great features available to JPG shooters. God knows how long it will take me to work out the 5Dmkiv when it arrives.

I wouldn't worry about that shot not meeting the scope of the comp. We have had some shots that are waaaay of the mark and still get voted up.
Ill need to get back in to entering the BC comp, Ive missed the last couple.

Taken the plunge and pressed the button :)

Think I need to be getting my 60D moved on sharply now to part fund it.

Ordered from HDEW and away this weekend so crossing fingers it may just arrive in time before we leave.
I ordered mine on a Thursday and it arrived on the Monday. Enjoy.

Getting me worried now as I'm still reading the manual on the 60D lol

Many thanks, not sure if the basschat picture will meet the competition criteria but always good to get an early entry in.
There's some great videos on YouTube telling you all about the 80D. With tutorials on settings and features etc. Well worth watching.

I ordered mine on a Thursday and it arrived on the Monday. Enjoy.
I ordered mine on Friday and I've just been told that it's been despatched so I'll have it in my hands tomorrow. Very impressed with HDEW so far.

Every time i go to order from HDEW i end up using Panamoz instead. I dont know how the two compare but Panamoz always seems a bit cheaper. One day i will get to use HDEW though.

same with me, I bought mine from Panamoz and it was in my hand three days later, very, very impressed with their service.

Not heard anything more about my 80D yet. Not a major issue but away at the weekend so would be good to try it out.

I find weekends to be very frustrating when i know a new toy is in the post. Hope you get it before going away. When i ordered my 80D from Panamoz i heard nothing until the day of delivery, that was quite a worrying 3 days.

My 5Dmkiv is on track for delivery tomorrow, so the next 24 hours will feel much longer.

Back