Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

And to add to the feathered list, this chap, obviously feeding chicks.

Blackbird 10Jul16_Small.jpg

180mm macro, 1/400 @ f4.5, ISO200, sorry it's small but I can only post images at 611 x 419, 411 kb it seems...

Last edited:
Great shot Jeff. Looks like a young one.

I like the 150-600 C, but sometimes I wish I'd gone with the Canon 70-200 F4 L + 1.4 extender again, which would have been around the same cost. A lens I had before I sold my last lot of kit several years back.

There's no doubt the Sigma gets very good reach and the shots are good, I just think the F4 L was a little bit more consistent somehow. Maybe just me still getting used to the 80D combination too.

My 70-300L has completely overshadowed my 70-200 f/4L IS. I've probably used it less than 10 shots since getting my 70-300L last Nov. It's a lens I really should start using again as it is lighter and so maybe a better match for the 80D.
I'm thinking of getting the Canon 18-135 as a walk around lens now. As much as I love my 24-70 I still like a longer reach. I know the IQ isn't going to match the 24-70 but it seems like an almost perfect general purpose lens.
I'd like the new new Micro USM version but the STM version is quite cheap, and having used my mates one I found AF to be pretty quick anyway.

Great shot Jeff. Looks like a young one.

I like the 150-600 C, but sometimes I wish I'd gone with the Canon 70-200 F4 L + 1.4 extender again, which would have been around the same cost. A lens I had before I sold my last lot of kit several years back.

There's no doubt the Sigma gets very good reach and the shots are good, I just think the F4 L was a little bit more consistent somehow. Maybe just me still getting used to the 80D combination too.

i do sometimes wonder myself steve ,the wife has a 400mm f5.6 on her 7d might have a play later with that lens and my kenko h.d 1.4tc .,the main reason i went for the sigma though was the close focus ability .heads you lose ,tails you lose .will update later

A couple of shots of the Sunborn, which is moored up at the Excel centre these days.

First with the 24-70 f/2.8 mkII

Sunborn
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

And down on the ground with my EF-S10-18. I dont use this lens anywhere near enough as i should.

Sunborn

And also this strange lampshade. One of many hanging from trees at More London

Strange hanging lamp shade at Moore London

So, a trip out with 3 lenses today. I've now realised i need yet another bag. Although my bags do hold 3 lenses, most of the time one lens compartment has my rain jacket in it. I think its time i got a back pack of some sort.

Is that yours then Dave :whistle:

My 70-300L has completely overshadowed my 70-200 f/4L IS. I've probably used it less than 10 shots since getting my 70-300L last Nov. It's a lens I really should start using again as it is lighter and so maybe a better match for the 80D.
I'm thinking of getting the Canon 18-135 as a walk around lens now. As much as I love my 24-70 I still like a longer reach. I know the IQ isn't going to match the 24-70 but it seems like an almost perfect general purpose lens.
I'd like the new new Micro USM version but the STM version is quite cheap, and having used my mates one I found AF to be pretty quick anyway.
The 18-135 STM goes on my 750D mainly but I swapped it back to the 70D this week asI needed something lighter than the usual 15-85 that normally lives there (I had left my spare 750D batteries in my wagon). Had forgotten how quick it was at AF!

Interested on how 80D users are finding this lens in day to day use. The 750D normally has the 18-135 for video but I am swinging towards the 80D after trying one last week with the 70-200 f/4 non-OS.

hey guys, looking into buying this beauty just curious if anyone has bought it on finance? if so who did you go through?

thanks

I know that Wex are selling on finance.

£999.00 interest free 12 month deal. Through Barclays I understand. Works at around £83.00 a month.

The 18-135 STM goes on my 750D mainly but I swapped it back to the 70D this week asI needed something lighter than the usual 15-85 that normally lives there (I had left my spare 750D batteries in my wagon). Had forgotten how quick it was at AF!

Interested on how 80D users are finding this lens in day to day use. The 750D normally has the 18-135 for video but I am swinging towards the 80D after trying one last week with the 70-200 f/4 non-OS.

@dave_bass5

The 18-135 STM does provide some useful reach, with good IQ so as a walkabout on my 70D it works well, for both candid, "grab" or general shots.

https://flic.kr/p/xrf7AD
https://flic.kr/p/z92T8L
https://flic.kr/p/DqkWFE

@dave_bass5

The 18-135 STM does provide some useful reach, with good IQ so as a walkabout on my 70D it works well, for both candid, "grab" or general shots.

https://flic.kr/p/xrf7AD
https://flic.kr/p/z92T8L
https://flic.kr/p/DqkWFE

Thanks Paul. Im going to borrow my mates copy soon and see how i get no with it. I had it for a while when he lent me his 7Dmkii but didnt really use either much. I do remember thinking how nice the lens was. Not heavy of bulky, with a good range.

Ive been playing with LR today. Although ive been using it for years I didn't realise you could add black bars to images, quite a neat trick.

Looking for the right song...

I used PayPal to buy mine from Panomoz. I Used* the PayPal credit so it's interest free for 4 months so just spreading the payment over this.

EDIT: Sorry, *i used the paypal credit, wasn't telling you to use it!

Last edited:
hey guys, looking into buying this beauty just curious if anyone has bought it on finance? if so who did you go through?

thanks
Castle cameras came up with the best u.k model deal ,plus extended warranty cover and free 64 gb Sandisk card

not been out much of late so a bit lacking in updates ,but a session today produced this taken with the sigma 150-600 sport and the 80d handheld at iso 6400 .you just gotta love this camera
c'mon feel the noise by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I now have my 80d and so far love it, however did have some frustrations at Silverstone over the weekend. I decided to use one of the custom modes, C1, I'd set it up for servo focussing, high speed shooting etc.. and do some shots fine, would go to take some more 5 mins later and its changed the AF to one shot and single shot drive, this was without changing mode, turning off or anything.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

That ISO 6400 shots really impresssive! Can't believe how much better the noise is compared to my 700D... which is one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading to this Camera.

another shot from yesterday ,i really like the combination of the 80D and big sigma 150-600 sports ability to do close focus work ,taken hand held as well .the colour depth and texture shine through
united colours of summer by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Received mine today to go alongside my 5D3.
Really nice little camera,and just need to get used to the slightly different button layout.

One thing that is bugging me; is that I can't seem to turn off the LCD/quick menu display.
Can anyone tell me which option it's under,please?

Easy peasy james it's the Q button on/off switch

just acquired a 100mm macro to go with this camera ,wrong end of the year but i might get some in still

just acquired a 100mm macro to go with this camera ,wrong end of the year but i might get some in still

Yeah. One of the main things I'll be using mine for (apart from the occasional motorsports) and I'm already wondering my what sort of subjects I can use it on during the 'lack of bug' months :)

Yeah. One of the main things I'll be using mine for (apart from the occasional motorsports) and I'm already wondering my what sort of subjects I can use it on during the 'lack of bug' months :)
Portraiture! Next to a 70/200 2.8 a 100mm macro is a stunning portrait lens.

Argh! Spoilt for choice then :D

Portrait wise,definitely.

I'm sure something will crop up nearer the time to take some macro photos. You'll soon know if I'm out of ideas; as there'll be an abundance of close up household items posted on this thread :D

I now have my 80d and so far love it, however did have some frustrations at Silverstone over the weekend. I decided to use one of the custom modes, C1, I'd set it up for servo focussing, high speed shooting etc.. and do some shots fine, would go to take some more 5 mins later and its changed the AF to one shot and single shot drive, this was without changing mode, turning off or anything.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Did the camera got o sleep duering this time? There is a setting were you can tell the camera to store any settings that have been made to the custom slots automatically, but the default is to always start with the saved settings. Could be this causing the settings to revert back?

@the black fox
If you get the time,would you be able to post what you've got your tracking settings options set to,please?
Many thanks.
as per
in c.fn ii
(1) tracking sens between 0 and +
(2)access/decel tracking 2
(3)af pt switching 2
(4)1st image set to release
(5) 2nd image set to focus

these should be all thats needed ,all i can say is it works for me

I feel like I'm going backwards these days. I've dropped my 5Dmkiii, and now I'm using a secondhand EF-S 18-135 STM rather than my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii......and loving it.

It's shown me that although the good stuff is really good, I'm more or less happy with the lower stuff for some things. The weight and size reduction is great.

as per
in c.fn ii
(1) tracking sens between 0 and +
(2)access/decel tracking 2
(3)af pt switching 2
(4)1st image set to release
(5) 2nd image set to focus

these should be all thats needed ,all i can say is it works for me

Thanks very much for the help and reply.
Much appreciated :)

I feel like I'm going backwards these days. I've dropped my 5Dmkiii, and now I'm using a secondhand EF-S 18-135 STM rather than my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii......and loving it.

It's shown me that although the good stuff is really good, I'm more or less happy with the lower stuff for some things. The weight and size reduction is great.

Just popped out for a bit to take a few random shots with my macro lens; and as you say it's considerably lighter than the 5D3.
Not sure It'd ever replace it,though; and I definitely couldn't see myself getting shot of my 24-70 :)

Oh no, the 24-70 is for life lol.
I wouldn't have considered a lens staring at 24mm for a crop in the past, and I can see the benefits of 18mm, but that 24-70 just makes the would look just a little better.
I'll probably use it more in the winter, but for now the 18-135 will be my main walk around lens, along with my 70-300L.

having just acquired a 100mm canon macro lens i had to have a play on the 80D ,it certainly brings the colours and vibrance to life .this was taken hand held in natural sunlight ,next step is flashgun ,ext.tubes ,monopod etc
a touch of red eye by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Did the camera got o sleep duering this time? There is a setting were you can tell the camera to store any settings that have been made to the custom slots automatically, but the default is to always start with the saved settings. Could be this causing the settings to revert back?

Ah didn't think of that, will have another play. Thanks!

Back