Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

I think mine are Maxim. I need to check that. Got them off Amazon a few years ago for my 5Dmkiii. They seem to hold their charge just as well as the Canon batteries.
In fact the only batteries I've had issues with have been Canon batteries. I've had two become pretty useless over the years.

What led you to choose the 80D over 7DII? I'm in that dilemma. I would miss the flip screen.

You got it, the flip screen, 24Mp, it's a cracker of a camera, I love mine ;)

Yep, flip screen for me as well. Also size reduction (although it's not great).
I've wanted to go back to crop for a while now, and almost got the 7Dmkii a couple of times. What put me off was it was so close to my 5Dmkiii in terms of size and weight, and I really did miss the flip screen.
I used to have a 60D, and still have a 650D so was used to the screen. I also liked the idea of touch to shoot.
I really couldn't be happier with it, and the 5Dmkiii will get very little use.

I got the canon 24mm f/2.8 stm yesterday. Very impressed with it. Even more so at this price. It's very sharp across the frame. AF is good, although not USM quick. Shooting with a small lens like this feels very liberating. Very different to my larger lenses.
It's funny but since going to FF a few years ago I seemed to have been missing out on some very good, cheap lenses.

What led you to choose the 80D over 7DII? I'm in that dilemma. I would miss the flip screen.
I have also been looking at both. This bit of discussion has been very useful. Coming from a 650D I have found the flip screen very useful as well as firing the shutter from the screen. So, decision just about made.

My original choice was between the 70D and 7Dmkii.

The pro's for the 70D for my uses were slightly smaller and lighter for travel, touch screen (already had a 700D), flip screen.

Pro's for 7dMkii improved focusing for Motorsport, more focus points (better coverage) and f8 centre point if I wanted to use a 100-400 and extender.

The 80D has the f8 centre point, more focus points than 70d and improved focusing (although not as good as 7dMkii) so was almost the best of both.

Great thanks Steve (y). I hadn't noticed the higher capacity version, glad I asked now! Think I'll get a couple of those on order.
The newer one white batteries are being shipped as 2200mAh as well :). I ordered the black 'ultra' 2200mAh version and it never arrived, refunded and got the advertised 1850mAh white and it arrived as a 2200mAh spec. The white version also has secondary protection circuit or something so better still.

The newer one white batteries are being shipped as 2200mAh as well :). I ordered the black 'ultra' 2200mAh version and it never arrived, refunded and got the advertised 1850mAh white and it arrived as a 2200mAh spec. The white version also has secondary protection circuit or something so better still.

Thanks, was going to order from Amazon as I have a voucher and prime. Think I'll go direct now if there's more chance of getting later stock.

Thankfully I am out of the country... Panamoz are listing the 80D body at £711 - temptation or what!

Thankfully I am out of the country... Panamoz are listing the 80D body at £711 - temptation or what!
Bought mine from Portus Digital with 3 year warranty price has dropped to £659

Havd a few minutes before an event so just looked through 80D prices, albeit limited on my phone.

Amazon has the 80D body at £875.03, pretty much the cheapest 'official' price. Most arw seeling at £990-£999.99.

So Portus at £659 are making a profit and offering a 3 year warranty too.

Note - The Portus price is a Summer Sale offer ending midnight Monday coming.

This seems an altogether warped price structure

I am out.... I will stick with my 70D/750D kit for now and enjoy my trip.

Last edited:
No issues with metering there then?

A few from Today just finding my way around my new 80D

butterfly.jpg

BUTTERCUP.jpg

Last edited:
No issues with metering there then?

I find the camera seems to naturally over expose a bit, as a couple have mentioned. On all of these I had a polariser on for glare rather than colour, everything else was tweaked in post processing.

It had all the detail I needed and as you will hopefully see below (if it works) the light was tricky to meter for.

If I've done this correctly you will see the 'out of the camera' image below. Let me know if you can't see it. :wacky:
20160617001-2.jpg

Last edited:
Shame the highlights are blown in both the SOOC shot and the processed shot. If the camera over exposes consistently maybe you can get used to it and counteract it or if not I suppose chimping or shooting a series of shots progressively stepping back the exposure are options for more difficult scenes like this.

It only tends to err on the side of caution I think, if the scene has dark and light areas it will tend to push for higher exposure. I'm not sure if that's so the detail is kept in the darker areas or not, but had I gone with a faster exposure to get the sky perfect the dark area would have likely gone altogether.

With a bit more messing about in PP I could probably pull out a bit more detail. I've probably gone a bit nuts with the sliders in LR experimenting with a few settings in these.

Last edited:
One thing I sometimes try not to do is to create a perfectly exposed picture if that doesn't match what my eyes saw at the time as there are times when I can't see detail in the sky and trying to preserve it and show it in a picture therefore seems a bit wrong :D

went out today to see what I could find in a local nature reserve...the answer to that was very little, too many places to hide I think! Anyway walked a mile down the road to a popular riverside area to have a go at some birds in flight stuff. Not really tried it before. This was the best of a not very good bunch.

I'd be interested to know what settings you guys use for autofocus and metering modes when doing this? Cheers.

20160618005 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Does anyone have some indoor/sports hall fast moving sport pics they can post? I would like to see how the 80D does with this type of pic. I'm guessing the 5dMkiii would still be the best choice for this type of photo?

I have the 70d and find the noise at high iso a problem in dim sports halls so was thinking of moving to 5dmkiii but lack or reach would also be an issue. I was going to move from a 70-200 f4 is to the 2.8 is1st as this will help a bit. but I think I need a better iso handling body maybe the 80d might be a ok choice.

Last edited:
I got mine for wildlife I tried my lads 7d2 and it left me underwhelmed ,having tried out a 80D At the photo show it seemed to fit the bill better ,so far I,m extremely pleased it copes with difficult exposures very well ,and is more than fast enough for b.i.f .so far I have pushed it to 5000iso and still got a virtually noiseless shot once pp .ver impressed .

One from this afternoon, between the showers this Wood Pigeon decided to try and take advantage of the brief break in the weather and catch a few rays!

20160624007 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been uhmming and ahhing over whether to upgrade from a 70D, particularly given the prices the 70D is fetching on the auction sites. Have read this thread with interest, please keep the posts coming!

A few different shots from me from this weekend.

I would never have got this first shot with my 5Dmkiii. I had the camera practically on the ground, but it was shooting under a fence that had a banner tied to it. No way i could have seen what i was shooting without the flip out screen.

Modball Rally - London 2016
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

I almost missed this shot. They just appeared over a building without notice, but luckily i had my 70-300L on the 80D and the quick AF did its job.

Red Arrows - Armed Forces day 2016

Also went to Pride, although i didn't get much as i was a bit bored this year.

Ab Fab, Pride style.

Just upgraded to the 80d from a 500d. Order from Panomoz last Wed morning and it arrived Friday morning, fantastic services. Not had chance to test it out properly yet but a quick mess about over the weekend and i'm very impressed. I went for the 18-135 option which went up in price on Friday by about £95.

Some great shots there Dave. Yes the articulated screen has helped many times for me already. Particularly in a crowded area where I could hold the camera above everyone and still knew I was going to get the picture as I could see it on screen. For that reason alone I'm happy I went with the 80D and not a 7D which was my first choice when I had planned to go second hand.

Back