Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

EDIT: Sorry double post, was getting some sort of Java console error?

Last edited:
Love the Red Arrows :)

(Yeah, I get the Java error too)

I feel the same Dave ,this is one of canons best kept secrets , I think if it had been marketed as a top of the range camera a lot more people would be screaming there heads off ,it still surprises me with its abilities on a daily basis

Yeah, its a very capable camera. I do tend to pixel peep a bit too much, and dont feel it hold the detail as much as my 5Dmkiii, but im always happy with the final image. The 70D never interested me, but i think its more the time was right for me to look at a crop camera again. Had the 80D not existed i might have got the 70D, although the fact that the 80D did exist was what made me look at crops again.
Im also quite surprised at how much i use WiFi when im out and about. Its nice having £2000+ kit to take a photo and then upload it to FB, and people think its just from my phone :)

Liking a lot of the comments on here

Good upgrade from a 60D ?

Agree with the positive remarks about the 80D Moved from a 7D mk 1 really happy with my choice

Last edited:
heres a butterfly shot i took the other week using a sigma 150-600 sport and the 80d ,level of detail belies the camera
red admiral by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Liking a lot of the comments on here

Good upgrade from a 60D ?

Definitely a fantastic upgrade. Of course the 60D won't stop taking nice photos, but IMO everything about the 80D is better, especially LV and video.

Jeff. That's a great shot but to my eyes it looks like quite a bit of CA is visible.

Last edited:
The thread had gone to page 2 on the forum so thought I'd bump it with another pigeon! :wave:

Lazy back garden shot at 1250iso and just used the noise reduction in Lightroom. Seems to have worked OK.

20160630001 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

1250 ISO, very good resolution isn't it :)

What I was up to yesterday, shooting my favourite photography subject. I'm hoping that a change in life circumstances might allow me to pursue this hobby a bit more and see if I can make it a bit more serious. Time will tell I guess.

20160703054 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots Steve and Jeff. Very crisp shots. I love the exposures.

I went over to the darkside on Sunday. We went to the Warner Bros Harry Potter studio tour. I was so tempted to take my 80D but in the end i took my 5Dmkiii (after dusting it down lol). I think it was the right choice but i really missed the 80D, especially on the odd occasion i pressed my finger on the LCD and nothing happened ;-).

Do you think it would be a good thing to have an articulated touch screen on a 5D4?

If, if they put an articulated screen on a 5D4, I'd buy one ;)

Maybe even two :eek:

Hi Guys

I've currently got a 550d and am looking to upgrade to an 80d for when I go on a safari later in the year. I've been doing a bit of googling about the 80d and have read a few reports from people having them crashing and having to reset by taking the battery out, it seems to be mostly from dodgy SD cards.
Has anyone here had any problems?

Thanks

Ed.

Not here no, but I don't use anything other than SanDisk.

I always think to myself why buy a £2:00 card and stick it into a £1000:00 camera? Same as batteries.

Last edited:
yes they should, especially if they are going to implement video features, anyone afraid of breaking it, simple, don't swivel it :)
It's not that simple. The LCD can get caught on something and get pulled out/off. I know of someone who did this with a 60D, and he treated his camera a lot differently to how the pros do.

Thanks, think I'll get the 80d ordered then, want it in time for Silverstone classic at the end of the month. Now to get rid of my Fuji X Pro1 to help pay for it!

Last edited:
Took the new 80d to RIAT this weekend for it's first outing, have to say very impressed! Started off using my Tamron 18-270mm and wasn't impressed with the result, focus was very slow and a lot of the photos just didn't seem to be in focus, think there's possibly a few issues with the lens. Swapped over and started using the 18-130mm that came with the camera, wow what a difference! Obviously not as much zoom but for the closer shots of the planes taking off and landing i was very impressed.

Will try and post a few samples later on (didn't get back till late last night and must have over a 1000 to importing to LR and sort through ).

Yes, i think AF speed is very lens dependent.

I took this on Sat. Nothing special but i was really please how well the camera kept focus on the bird, considering the background is the same colour.

Gull's over the River Thames
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

I think im up to around 6000 shots so far with this camera. I really do love it but i find the exposure system to be the worst of any Canon bodies ive used. A lot of shots seem to need tweaking in LR to get the exposure how i would expect my 5D and 650D to get in camera. Nothing conclusive, and ive not done any tests, but it just seems to be this way. Still, i do love playing in LR so its not a big deal.

Talking of playing in LR. This has had a few tweaks, although nothing major.

Bubble
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

dave i tend to agree with your view point re-exposure ,but i think that canon have done something different with this sensor to get the full range out of it ,having used nikon in the past the one thing i have noticed is that with normal canon you need to ettr (expose to the right) and with nikon you tend to ettl (to the left) .
others as well have been noticing this camera tends to over expose and i have now started to dial in a 1/3rd or 2/3rd of minus exposure compensation to get it better for p/p its definitely working and has the added advantage of increasing shutter speed as well as enhancing the depth of blacks and detail in the whites . i have also noticed that even when doing b.i.f especially white birds i.e egrets,gulls,etc whereas with previous canons i would have to dial in massive positive exposure compensation to retain detail the 80d is pretty spot on at zero or perhaps just plus a third . to sum up theres definitely something different with this sensor but IMHO its very much for the better

p.s dave with the gull shot i would have cropped 16x9 and cut off the mess of traffic atop the bridge .and the not level water LOL

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree with the exposure comment too. The majority I get need a adjusting, but it gets so much detail it is always a good exposure.

I'm not convinced I have it set up in the best way yet so I need to do some more reading on the various settings available.

Anyway, I'm sure the 2000+ I took at RIAT will help me in that process!

dave i tend to agree with your view point re-exposure ,but i think that canon have done something different with this sensor to get the full range out of it ,having used nikon in the past the one thing i have noticed is that with normal canon you need to ettr (expose to the right) and with nikon you tend to ettl (to the left) .
others as well have been noticing this camera tends to over expose and i have now started to dial in a 1/3rd or 2/3rd of minus exposure compensation to get it better for p/p its definitely working and has the added advantage of increasing shutter speed as well as enhancing the depth of blacks and detail in the whites . i have also noticed that even when doing b.i.f especially white birds i.e egrets,gulls,etc whereas with previous canons i would have to dial in massive positive exposure compensation to retain detail the 80d is pretty spot on at zero or perhaps just plus a third . to sum up theres definitely something different with this sensor but IMHO its very much for the better

p.s dave with the gull shot i would have cropped 16x9 and cut off the mess of traffic atop the bridge .and the not level water LOL

And i agree with your thoughts. I too tend to use -EC on all the time (more or less), and having this available in M mode is a big advantage over my 5D, at least for me. I agree that maybe its not over exposing, just that the others were under and i need to get used to it. I dont recall ever having to use a permanent +/- EC on my other cameras, but maybe i am just adjusting for what im used to seeing rather than for what is correct. I went though something similar recently with bass cabs. I was so used to the colored sounding cabs when i got a more neural cab it felt, or rather sounded wrong.

Good idea about the Gull shot.I was never really going to do anything with this shot so its pretty much a straight shot. I posted it more to show the Gull against a similar coloured background. I might have a play with it later though. Cropping to other AR's is not something i tend to do much, no idea why really.

Excellent set, what a cracking lens eh (y)

Has anyone used the 80d for indoor sports? How did it get on? if anyone can post up some pics of indoor sports it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Must have been stood very close to the same place Andrew, on the Sunday. Excellent results with the kit lens. Well done. I have some very similar shots but was using a 150-600. Sky wasn't very good in many of them just giving a plain grey background.

20160710058_WM by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I'm pleased with how they turned out. Must admit, I did have lens envy! Spent Sunday morning googling 150-600mm lenses, maybe next year. It was a shame about the the conditions think the sun came out for a few minutes and a little blue sky appeared enough to to get sun burnt, not sure how!

Thanks Eddy, I used shutter priority with iso set to auto and just played about with the speed. Didn't expect many keepers it was more a case of getting to grips with the camera as its the first time I've used it.

Wow, great aerial shots guys. A mate of mine went to Duxford on Sat with my Sony a6000. We were quite impressed with the shots until I saw those in this thread.
Because of this thread I too have been looking in to the 150-600, but I feel it won't get a lot of use. Looks like a great lens though.

heres one of mine from sunday ,taken with the 80d and sigma 150-600mm sport lens ,the magpie is a notoriously hard bird to photograph due to its black /white/blue plumage i think the 80d has coped extremely well with the exposure here with both blacks and whites under good control with no excessive highlights or shadows .feel free to view of flickr for a better view
gotcha !! by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back