Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Where was that from?

Has anyone used an m5 with an 18-135 via the ef adapter?

Yes I have the STM version

Bit out of balance but very good IQ and very smooth on video. Better IMHO than the M 18-150 but my experience with tha lens is relatively limited and I am happier with the 55-200

Steve

I'll pass on the Samyang, was looking at the The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, wasn't sure with today's technology if there was anything smaller or maybe in the pipeline.

Not that I am aware of.

There is a YT Video of some guys using an M5 150-600 combination that went well.

EDIT>>>> Found it

View: https://youtu.be/JBNjn1g1LbY

Last edited:
Cheers Steve, although I think it's just an issue with the 18-35 and PDAF so 30mm should be fine.

I now have a M5, but not the way I'd planned.

Ordered from Jessops yesterday lunchtime, in stock and next day delivery. Checked the order an hour or so later and it said on-hold, so gave them a quick call and was told it's fine, in stock and would be here today. Checked again about 4.30 and still said on hold, so went on live-chat and was told it's fine, in stock and would be delivered today. Checked again at 6pm, still said on-hold, at 7pm the same, at 8pm went back onto live chat - not gone out and told to call in the morning. Great :)

So I did call this morning asked why it hadn't gone out. Couldn't get a real answer, so suspect it's not actually in stock at this time. Anyway, I cancelled the order and called LCE in Exeter. They had it in store in stock and were more than happy to match the Jessops deal. Just got back with my M5.

Sadly they didn't have any of the lenses I'm interested in, in stock but at least I have the camera with 15-45 and use of the Missus's Canon glass for now. I did more research on the 30mm Sigma last night and I'm leaning towards ordering one and the 22mm. Looking forward to getting out this weekend with it :)

Nothing better than being p***ed about to make your day go better.

I have to say that the more I use the M5 the more I find myself wanting to just pick it up and go.

I have a meeting in Bath on Tuesday morning so hopefully we get a bright morning to push me into getting there early for a wander as the place wakes up.

Steve

I'll pass on the Samyang, was looking at the The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, wasn't sure with today's technology if there was anything smaller or maybe in the pipeline.

The thing is 'technology' isn't that much use when making 'long' lenses, as focal length is related to actual length (and design), so there's a benefit for shorter lenses made for crop cameras, but not really longer ones.

But the market for super telephotos is so small that ptoducing a crop version would be too niche a product. It's possible to make a smaller lighter version for a smaller sensor, but not by a massive amount, I'd guess the cost is prohibitive for the predicted sales.

Last edited:
I have the stm version, yours isn't the latest nano usm is it?
No sadly. The nano-USM is a fine lens but not enough for me to move from the STM version which I mainly use on a 750D for video.

S

The thing is 'technology' isn't that much use when making 'long' lenses, as focal length is related to actual length (and design), so there's a benefit for shorter lenses made for crop cameras, but not really longer ones.

But the market for super telephotos is so small that ptoducing a crop version would be too niche a product. It's possible to make a smaller lighter version for a smaller sensor, but not by a massive amount, I'd guess the cost is prohibitive for the predicted sales.

Not to exclude the M then we have M3 M5 M6 & M10 im sure i wont be the only one to ask as time moves on.
The reason i said technology is they can make DSLR's smaller so the call for longer zooms lens housed smaller/shorter body is going to be much more manageable and more tempting to have.!

Not to exclude the M then we have M3 M5 M6 & M10 im sure i wont be the only one to ask as time moves on.
The reason i said technology is they can make DSLR's smaller so the call for longer zooms lens housed smaller/shorter body is going to be much more manageable and more tempting to have.!

Do you understand how 'focal length' is measured?

There being a desire to own 'shorter' long lenses is one thing, there being a big enough potential market to make the investment worthwhile?

In essence, there's not a massive saving to be made (size, weight, cost), and there's probably not a huge market at the end of it.

Certainly the size of the market for M lenses is tiny. Canon haven't even produced the relatively cheap fast wider primes they need to compete properly with Fuji and Olympus, for which there's a proven established market.

How many M owners would be interested in a set of 1.4 or 1.8 primes of 23, 35, 60, 90 (35, 50, 85 and 135 equivalents)

There being a desire to own 'shorter' long lenses is one thing, there being a big enough potential market to make the investment worthwhile?

In essence, there's not a massive saving to be made (size, weight, cost), and there's probably not a huge market at the end of it.

Certainly the size of the market for M lenses is tiny. Canon haven't even produced the relatively cheap fast wider primes they need to compete properly with Fuji and Olympus, for which there's a proven established market.

How many M owners would be interested in a set of 1.4 or 1.8 primes of 23, 35, 60, 90 (35, 50, 85 and 135 equivalents)
Absolutely Phil.

To get a 1.4, I bought a Sig 30mm ART

Ultra wide.. EF-S 10-18 (11-22 not there yet)

The stand out M lens is the first M they produced - 22mm f/2 Pancake... still the fastest and a brilliant but simple design that does a super job with a front element smaller than a fingernail.

But the M5 is very good. I realy rate it but score it at 4/5.

In 18 months time, Canon must commit and demonstrate a SMART CSC trajectory or I am goung to Fuji. Until then, I am going to push the limits of the M5, build an altar to an M6 and worship it. Most ofvall, I am going to take pictures [emoji3]

Steve

Last edited:
Absolutely Phil.

To get a 1.4, I bought a Sig 30mm ART

Ultra wide.. EF-S 10-18 (11-22 not there yet)

The stand out M lens is the first M they produced - 22mm f/32 Pancake... still the fastest and a brilliant but simple design that does a super job with a front element smaller than a fingernail.

But the M5 is very good. I realy rate it but score it at 4/5.

In 18 months time, Canon must commit and demonstrate a SMART CSC trajectory or I am goung to Fuji. Until then, I am going to push the limits of the M5, build an altar to an M6 and worship it. Most ofvall, I am going to take pictures [emoji3]

Steve
My plan is to just buy the 22mm. And the adaptor.
I've got the 35mm Art, the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 85mm, and the 17-55 2.8.

I might just be tempted by the 15-45 at the right price, but I generally have no desire for any of the other EF-M lenses.

I might just be tempted by the 15-45 at the right price, but I generally have no desire for any of the other EF-M lenses.

I have a feeling a 15-45 will be for sale soon Phil (not liking it so far).

Am liking the M5 though. Been using it with the 40 pancake, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and the Canon 10-18 - really nice camera with these lenses.
I need to get out and try the Sigma 18-35 (first choice if the focusing is okay, love the contrast and colour from this lens) and the Sigma 30mm that Steve has and likes.

I have the m 18-55 from the original kit, that came in an Argos £199 deal with the M body and 90EX speedlight then got a new 22mm when there was a huge pile of split kits on EBay (£77), a 14-45 on EBay (white box £95 - £35 Nectar), 55-200 (used spotless £128 auction win), 28mm (£229 Jessops special). Second M body no battery £85 from WEX.Gave m
M body and Meike ef-ef-M adaptor to to niece at uni, got M10 body via canon cashback for £159 and cashed in an Amazon £30 gift card I won in a cricket club raffle for £20 so M10 bodyv effecively £139.

In the future, if I go to Fuji, I will downstream my M kit (minus M5/22mm) within the family.

As above, Canon need to commit fully to CSC even if it pushes the price point upwards.

I am noe at 90% M kit use and 10% DSLR/Film. I return to my Irish Coast project in May and will use the M kit more than I did during May/Oct last year. Simple reason - weight and still recovering from my stroke. Lugging my kit is a major factor so every gram counts.

Last edited:

Aww sorry i just thought it was possible as when i was google searching found this https://www.wired.com/2010/08/olympus-600mm-zoom-lens-is-worlds-tiniest/

Aww sorry i just thought it was possible as when i was google searching found this https://www.wired.com/2010/08/olympus-600mm-zoom-lens-is-worlds-tiniest/

Well it's only 300mm and takes some compromises in the design (the 600mm headline is click bait). You can't cheat physics, and remember that particular lens only has to cover a micro 4/3 sensor, not a crop sensor as that found in the M series.

And like I said, Canon aren't even on-board for serious short lenses, let alone designing smaller lighter versions of lenses they already sell by the boatload.

Last edited:
Well it takes some compromises in the design. You can't cheat physics, and remember that particular lens only has to cover a micro 4/3 sensor, not a crop sensor as that found in the M series.

And like I said, Canon aren't even on-board for serious short lenses, let alone designing smaller lighter versions of lenses they already sell by the boatload.

Thanks, think im going to opt for this one, The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C

I had to read it twice to realise it was only a 300mm lens, the headline is b******t.

Eee ya right even i missed it 1st time round though was looking for EF lens.

I had thought about the AL-M9 a few times. The 28mm gives a tiny dof compared to the 60mm EF-S, and the m macrolite LEDs and the tiny dof was fine for shots of my stamp collection prior to selling up. Still a work in progress.

I wonder if you mount the AL-M9 on the camera it will actually illuminate the subject area? That is something I would appreciate hearing about when you try it out.

S

My 28mm macro has now arrived safe and sound so thought I may as well give it a quick test with and without the little Aputure M9.

Obviously just quick snap shots, but hopefully some use :) These are all SOOC Raw's.

First, with no light apart from ambient:
No Light by David Black, on Flickr

Then with both front in-built LED's:
Inbuilt Light by David Black, on Flickr

Then with M9 on flash mount:
M9 on Camera by David Black, on Flickr

Then with M9 off camera, slightly to side:
M9 off camera by David Black, on Flickr

And finally the setup. All shot Raw in Av @ f3.5 with ISO200 on a 2 second delay:
IMG_8619 by David Black, on Flickr

Spoke to Wex earlier about the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and the issues with it's focus and DPAF I've read about.

They said they were happy to have it returned if I found the focus not up to scratch, so I ordered one (should be here tomorrow).

Fingers crossed it's fine, then I'm done buying :)

My 28mm macro has now arrived safe and sound so thought I may as well give it a quick test with and without the little Aputure M9.

Obviously just quick snap shots, but hopefully some use :) These are all SOOC Raw's.

First, with no light apart from ambient:
No Light by David Black, on Flickr

Then with both front in-built LED's:
Inbuilt Light by David Black, on Flickr

Then with M9 on flash mount:
M9 on Camera by David Black, on Flickr

Then with M9 off camera, slightly to side:
M9 off camera by David Black, on Flickr

And finally the setup. All shot Raw in Av @ f3.5 with ISO200 on a 2 second delay:
IMG_8619 by David Black, on Flickr
I think I will be getting an M9. I have started to expand my decluttering programme to include my OO model railway collection and will be shooting the engines and rolling stock which I started with a set my maternal grandmother gave me fovChristmas 1963, whoch I still have! The M9 plus 105m macro Sigma should work.

S

I think I will be getting an M9. I have started to expand my decluttering programme to include my OO model railway collection and will be shooting the engines and rolling stock which I started with a set my maternal grandmother gave me fovChristmas 1963, whoch I still have! The M9 plus 105m macro Sigma should work.

S
M9 ?

My Sigma 18-35 turned up an hour ago - so far I'm very, very happy with it :)

I miss the look of my A7ii images, but as I've decided to keep photography as a hobby (apart from my own work) having near £10k in gear was a bit silly. Can honestly say that the images I took today were as good as I'd have gotten from the Sony.

Focus has been sharp and fast at f1.8 in the multiple shots I've taken so far of my favourite model (the dog). Taken around 100 shots in a badly lit room, almost all have perfect focus. Also colours and contrast look great.

I did a quick video test as well, again at f1.8 in a dark hallway with a lot of plain white bits. No hunting at all, always perfectly in focus.

Using it manually, it's a dream with focus peaking on. Rings are so smooth it's easy to both nail a shot or pull focus smoothly in video.

Early days, but if this lens continues to work as well as it has so far then I may as well weld it onto my M5 :)

In fact that might be a good idea as have a feeling that once the Missus tries it on her camera I might not see it again....

Looking forward to really putting it through it's paces, hopefully tomorrow.

My Sigma 18-35 turned up an hour ago - so far I'm very, very happy with it :)

I miss the look of my A7ii images, but as I've decided to keep photography as a hobby (apart from my own work) having near £10k in gear was a bit silly. Can honestly say that the images I took today were as good as I'd have gotten from the Sony.

Focus has been sharp and fast at f1.8 in the multiple shots I've taken so far of my favourite model (the dog). Taken around 100 shots in a badly lit room, almost all have perfect focus. Also colours and contrast look great.

I did a quick video test as well, again at f1.8 in a dark hallway with a lot of plain white bits. No hunting at all, always perfectly in focus.

Using it manually, it's a dream with focus peaking on. Rings are so smooth it's easy to both nail a shot or pull focus smoothly in video.

Early days, but if this lens continues to work as well as it has so far then I may as well weld it onto my M5 :)

In fact that might be a good idea as have a feeling that once the Missus tries it on her camera I might not see it again....

Looking forward to really putting it through it's paces, hopefully tomorrow.
Good to hear the 18-35 is up to th job.

I am staying on the prime path andon my countdown to 5 months in Irelannd....

Video tripod head has arrived - plate doesn't fit on camera as lens is below the bottom of camera :(

Just ordered a second-hand adaptor from eBay with the tripod foot, once it's here I'll take the foot off and sell it again. Guess I'll lose a bit, but not as much as the reported price of the foot alone (heard around £45).

All because Canon want to save a £1 on the included M5 adaptor.

Video tripod head has arrived - plate doesn't fit on camera as lens is below the bottom of camera :(

Just ordered a second-hand adaptor from eBay with the tripod foot, once it's here I'll take the foot off and sell it again. Guess I'll lose a bit, but not as much as the reported price of the foot alone (heard around £45).

All because Canon want to save a £1 on the included M5 adaptor.
How do you mean? in what way is there a saving, I got a non-canon adaptor and I see the adaptor mount is lower than the body but you can put the plate on the mount

How do you mean? in what way is there a saving, I got a non-canon adaptor and I see the adaptor mount is lower than the body but you can put the plate on the mount

The Canon adaptor that comes with the M5 kit doesn't have the tripod foot included (but does if you buy the adaptor separately). This is what I meant by Canon saving £1 :)

Once I have the foot for the adaptor it will be fine.

Did think about buying a pattern version of the adaptor with a foot for £20-£30, but figured I won't lose that much ordering a second-hand Canon with the foot, then selling my one without it.

The issue with my tripod plate on my video head is it's about 10cm long, and ideally needs to be balanced. It's fine taking stills with my normal ballhead.

I could do with a cheap TTL flash and trigger for my M5, but sem to remember a few issues with some Yongnuo models and the M3?

Is anyone here using a Yongnuo or similar on the M5? Any issues?
If you have nothing yet, go for the Godox xt1 and a flash with built in receiver. AFAIK there's no compatibility issues and the Godox is a great system to grow into.

If you have nothing yet, go for the Godox xt1 and a flash with built in receiver. AFAIK there's no compatibility issues and the Godox is a great system to grow into.

That would be my first choice Phil. I had these with my Sony A7 kit and really liked them.
Guess I could order through Amazon, so at least I could easily return if there is an issue.

Did you dig that book out?

I could do with a cheap TTL flash and trigger for my M5, but sem to remember a few issues with some Yongnuo models and the M3?

Is anyone here using a Yongnuo or similar on the M5? Any issues?

No problem with YN600 or both YN565s

I have been looking at same myself. I like the YN600 Roxbury I think the Godoy look a better built etc option

Decided to go with manual flash instead of TTL.

If I think back I hardly ever used the TTL function with my Sony system, I almost always set them manually. Everything I shoot is static anyway (products for work or I like using flash to highlight off camera in landscapes) so hardly an issue.

Ordered a Godox TT600 with XT32c trigger for now, I'll add another couple of TT600's down the line if I like them (which I'm sure I will :) )

Bit of a bonus - I "think" the XT32c trigger should also fire my studio flashes. Not 100% (Godox literature isn't the most thorough - although good compared to a lot of Chinese companies) but could be useful if so.

Back