1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wissel

Wissel

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I like that. It makes my M5/Sigma 18-35 combo look small :)
    (I'll post a image later once hangover has lifted)

How are you finding that lens on the M3 (I think)?

2. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I also got the USB Docking so I could setup the lens/ M3 camera for best auto focus setup & really pleased with the performance,

Hugh Jarse and Wissel like this.
  3. Wissel

Wissel

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have you found you needed to set the focus with the dock?

I haven't bought the dock yet as I thought I'd try the lens first. Turns out my lens nails focus every time so far, so I'm not sure I'll bother (maybe if I end up buying other compatible Sigma's, I know the Missus has her eye on the lens you've just bought)

4. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've used my docking to setup my own camera & video preferences.

Edit: haven't set up any of the focal points as yet but then ive not noticed any blurring in any of the pictures with the various points of zoom.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  6. michael23

michael23

Name:
    michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
  7. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just had a look on your Flickr site & this one was taken with Canon eos 7D otherwise very nice pictures & I've kept my M for same reason.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    michael23 likes this.
  8. michael23

michael23

Name:
    michael
    Edit My Images:
    No

Doh! Thanks Jim, I could have sworn I took it on the M, I was swapping cameras at the time.

9. Chaz Photos

Chaz Photos Jack Elam

Name:
    Chaz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Hugh Jarse and Wissel like this.
  10. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Nice pictures Chaz, maybe a review once you've had bit more of a play.;)

Chaz Photos likes this.
  11. michael23

michael23

Name:
    michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    For those that have purchased from hdew, how has the service been?

12. Chaz Photos

Chaz Photos Jack Elam

Name:
    Chaz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Got my M5 from them was easy and delivered on time.
    also, SLRhut was also amazing bought a lens on wed was sent out on Friday from USA and delivered Monday morning.

13. michael23

michael23

Name:
    michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    the m5 is sitting at 649 atm, did you have to pay anything extra on top for delivery etc? Seems a really good price, just can't make my mind up.

14. Chaz Photos

Chaz Photos Jack Elam

Name:
    Chaz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No it was a bit more than that when I got mine :( all duty is paid

15. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....Have bought several Canon D-SLR products from HDEW and also used their warranty repairers. I have nothing but praise for them.

If I buy a M5 it will be from HDEW - They don't sell the EF Lens Adapter though.

I am about to post questions I have in considering buying a M5.

michael23 likes this.
  16. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am considering buying a Canon M5 and would value your opinions or comments please.

To put it all in context I am a serious amateur who only shoots wildlife and exclusively shoots RAW. My Flickr page shows examples of my photos.

I currently use a Canon 7D Mark II (with battery grip), 100-400mm L II, 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, 500mm F/4L II, and occasionally a 40mm F/2.8 'Pancake' < All Canon EF lenses.

I previously had a 70D (now sold) and it seems that the M5 has a very similar spec and performance.

From Spring until Autumn I tend to use the 100-400mm on my 7D2 to get one in the bag and then swop lens to 100mm Macro and move in closer (if tolerated by an insect, usually Dragonfly).

As any wildlife photographer will confirm, every second counts and also changing lenses in a field with pollen etc flying around is always a bit worrying. And so to save time and also protect from debris, it makes sense to buy a second body and mount the 100mm Macro on it and then carry both cameras in the field.

The beauty of the EOS system is that there are plenty of options and I have considered a full-frame second body such as the 5D Mark IV or a used 1D Mk 4 but they are heavier and bulkier than the M5 and also cost much more money. If the M5 really is everything Canon claim, then it's on the same level as a 70D (same sensor or very similar, 7 fps, tilt screen) and that is good enough for me as I don't produce prints or sell my work. People say I should but I'm retired, 70yo, and I don't want the hassle.

So, has anyone here used a M5 + 100mm Macro EF setup please? And particularly with a Kenko 1.4x mounted as well?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  17. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Struggling a bit with this one...!
    My M with M lenses are defo slower focus than my M3 with M lenses but if I fit any of my EF lenses on my M its a faster focus then my M3, I'd thought EF's should be quicker focusing on the M3 so could I have upset a setting...?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  18. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....From all the in depth reviews of the M5 I have read (in research before buying), the combination of the new Digic-7 processor plus latest CMOS sensor will result in faster AF. I would factor in that earlier M lenses may be slower and certainly do not let in as much light as EF L lenses.

I didn't think that the M5 has options to set various AF Cases as the pro EOS D-SLR bodies do and therefore can't see what settings you could have upset. I assume you are judging your AF speed comparisons in Single (ONE SHOT) and not Continuous (SERVO) AF.

19. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Are any of you guys with a M5 shooting with EF L lenses, please?

If so, which ones?

20. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yep set to 'one shot' just stange EF lenses are faster af with my M then my M3

21. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....Your posts are not clear when you write just "M then my M3" < I cannot tell whether you are referring to the M5 or not. I can only assume you mean "M5 than my M3".

The M5 is bound to be faster - As I suggested earlier, the Digic-7 in the M5 is a newer and more powerful processor and the latest CMOS Dual-pixel sensor in the M5 is also better performing. The combo will result in faster AF. Did you not research how the M5 works and compared with a M3 before buying one?

Furthermore, most EF lenses (especially L versions) will deliver more light to the sensor which again allows better AF performance. These are the fundamentals of AF performance.

22. tourerjim

tourerjim

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Canon has the eos M, M2 M3 & M5, im referring to the M & M3 not M5.

mike_6480 likes this.
  23. mike_6480

mike_6480

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think your post is actually more confusing! The question was comparing the M and M3, and you responded by talking about the M5! Lol

tourerjim likes this.
  24. Chaz Photos

Chaz Photos Jack Elam

Name:
    Chaz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    AS I understand it, it built on the 80D It focuses ver well with the duel pixel af, I will give a test on my L glass tomorrow and see how it is, I can only compare it to my 7D

RedRobin and Hugh Jarse like this.
  25. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As a Canon user, would I find it easier to use an M5 than my current Panasonic GX7, in terms of the layout, menus etc? Any other thoughts on this course of action?

26. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As a follow up to earlier posts in respect to suitable Prime lenses for the M cameras, I noticed that Canon are about to release an EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM lens.

This will suut Canonrop sensor DSLR bodies and also Canon M series bodies.

I have the EF-M 28mm macrolite and I am still unsure of it's value 'in the field', it's not the fastest of lenses and I have rarely taken it out of the house, concentrating on recording my stamp collection. Fir outdoor work I have the 22mm Pancake, EF-S 24mm f/2.8 and a wakkaout Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART and the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

The new canon has had LED ringlight fittrd (like the 28mm M) plus IS.

Again interesting but I think a 15mm or 17mm EF-M would be more useful.

I have to say I will look at the 35mm. I have the 24mm f/2.8 STM which lives on my M5. I feel the 35mm STM will sit very nicely on an 80 for video. Add in the 50mm f/1.8 and 60mm macro and the range is expanding.

I am puzzled at the confusion of short "starter" prime lenses in the Canon range with 3 different mounts.

View: https://youtu.be/xAkbh2L1els

RedRobin likes this.
  27. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....We are both fluent, Mike.

Sadly, in different languages.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ksngBjmWA

magicolor1 likes this.
  28. Swissy

Swissy

Name:
    Giovanni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't have an M5, only original M and Canon DSLR's i can't image the menus being that different on the M5

29. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Knowing that the M5 is part of the Canon EOS system, has the same Dual Pixel sensor that I have experienced firsthand in both the 70D and 7D Mark II, has the Digic-7 processor, the AF system matching the D-SLR bodies, and many other features I want, has all been enough for me to have decided to buy. I am already familiar with the Canon EOS interface and enjoy it.

The lens Adaptor (Canon's usual good build quality) so I can mount my EF lenses arrived on Saturday and the M5 body will arrive on Monday. I don't need any of the EF-M lenses, I am buying the M5 as an additional body for my close-up work.

I will be posting M5 pics on my Flickr page during next week and will not be expecting them to be distinguishable from those taken on my 7D Mark II or previously owned 70D just as there is no distinguishable difference between my images from those two bodies.

I would add that I think it's the mounted lens rather than the body which will have the bigger influence on image quality if we are comparing the M5 results.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  30. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....The M5 menus are exactly the same as in the other EOS D-SLR bodies and only vary in their content according to which body.

This 1-hour long user guide tutorial by Tony Northrup is extremely informative :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnd7S0bg4U

31. db247

db247

Edit My Images:
    No
    I loved my M, got it dirt cheap too!! If it had a flippy screen I would have kept it :)

32. magicolor1

magicolor1

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the M5. I've been trying to do wildlife photography with a lighter kit for a while with limited success so have been considering returning to a DSLR. Your Flickr stream is full of superb shots from the Canons - really very impressive work!

jerry12953 and RedRobin like this.
  33. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No

Thanks for the invaluable help, Robin. I will peruse that video carefully. Do you mind me asking, how much did you pay for your M5? I may wait till it becomes more afforable before taking the plunge.

34. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....Thank you Simon @magicolor1 - Your encouraging compliment is much appreciated.

I find that it's Horses-for-Courses regarding wildlife shooting - Some species invariably need a telephoto with lots of reach and others need a macro lens. Also, one camera body may be more enabling than another.

For example, my Canon 7D Mark II can shoot 10fps whereas the M5 only shoots 7fps if in AI Servo AF (9fps otherwise). My 7D2 can shoot 1/8000s max but the M5 only 1/4000s. But the M5 has a tilt screen which is a major advantage when photographing at very low level (as I found when I had a 70D with adjustable screen). The M5 touch screen has a new feature called Drag & Focus on the touch screen (instead of the 7D2 joystick) - This can be used while using the viewfinder. Also, being mirrorless the DoF is much more apparent in the viewfinder while shooting - Critical for close-ups of insects.

The M5 body isn't Canon weathersealed, the other Canon D-SLR bodies are, but I have lens raincovers which all extend over the body and fold down really small in a pocket when not needed < Made by https://www.cameraaccessoriesoutdoors.co.uk

I shall try the M5 on my EF 100-400mm L II but the 7D2 + battery grip balances very well on that lens and especially when the Extender is also mounted. I bought the M5 solely as a more practical body to live on my 100mm all-singing-dancing Canon macro and so I don't have to faff around changing lenses to and fro, also avoiding pollen etc - The number of times I have needed to do that recently is ridiculous and I have missed shots. Bird or Dragonfly? Aaagh! wrong lens mounted!

For me personally, the M5 is not a 'consumer' (albeit high quality) compact camera but is a very useful and practical addition to my existing D-SLR system. That's why it carries the EOS badge.

jerry12953 likes this.
  35. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....I am very glad to be able to help, Jeremy.

I bought my M5 body only from HDEW for £659 with 3 year warranty. I have bought from them several times and even used their warranty repairers (A.J.Johnstone, Canon approved). There is a long thread on TP all about HDEW and full of praise over many years - Much deserved in my opinion. If pale grey is not to your taste, I like Wex but have had trouble with Park Cameras on more than one occasion. Jessops don't walk their talk either - I now avoid the bigger retailers.

Because HDEW don't supply the lens Adapter I bought that from Carmarthen Cameras - Always excellent service and caring help. Mifsuds (not MILFsuds!!) in Brixham are also top notch retailers.

HDEW : http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-m5-body-black-5723-p.asp

jerry12953 likes this.
  36. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'd seen HDEW were doing it at a good price (£649) but their website said they only have one left. They must have some new stock in! I've also bought stuff from there in the past. Why pay more.......

37. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....That exact only one they had left is the one being delivered to me tomorrow (Monday)! They checked when I phoned and then grabbed it for me.

They don't usually carry much stock (if any) and order immediately after you have paid. Delivery normally takes the time they say it will - About 5 working days. They are good at keeping you informed.

a1ex2001 and jerry12953 like this.
  38. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I hope you'll update us on progress with it!

39. michael23

michael23

Name:
    michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    @RedRobin Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, especially in terms of usage speed and the black out / shutter lag and shot to shot times.

40. RedRobin

RedRobin

Name:
    Robin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    .... Jerry, I most certainly will update this thread on progress. Weather today is appalling for photography though! Dull light, very windy, and raining. So I'll just be getting used to its physical feel and reading the user guide.

.... Michael, I won't be able to offer you any information which is scientific but I will be able to say how I find it compares with my 7D Mark II.

I can confirm this when I have the M5 in my hands but being mirrorless I am expecting that there is no black out whatsoever during continuous fps shooting.

If the M5 had any shutter lag I am sure that most of the online reviewers would have pounced on that failing, or am I misunderstanding your question?

Won't shot to shot times be largely dependent on the Mb/sec speed of the SD card being used? And especially if, as I always do, shooting RAW files in H Drive shutter speed bursts.

Btw, I never shoot video and so won't have any feedback about the M5's video performance. I do intend to use its remote control from my iPhone via Bluetooth < One of its features which attracted me to buy.

Last edited: May 15, 2017