Canon EOS M Series Cameras

A couple of test shots from my new M10.
Both edited in LR from DNGs as my version doesn't read the M10's raw files.

First taken with the kit 15-45 lens.
IMG_0049a-2.jpg

Second with the EF 50mm f1.4 on the Meike adaptor.
IMG_0144a.jpg

The kit lens seems to work well as a general purpose lens, AF is fast enough and works pretty well with the M10's AF system.
The EF 50mm f1.4 lens on the Meike adaptor works, but in low light it hunts a lot, worse than using it on my 6D. In daylight it's better more usable, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for fast moving stuff. It might have been due to the shallower depth of field though, struggling to find something to focus on. I think also the older USM AF motor on that lens doesn't deal well with the constant AF of the M series.
The 24-105L seemed to work much better on the Meike adaptor, AF was certainly quicker and the USM motor seemed to deal with the demands better.
Trying my Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro VC lens proved a little frustrating. The lens mounts fine on the Meike adaptor and the aperture and VC (IS) work fine, but AF doesn't work. This isn't as surprising though as this lens doesn't AF on my film EOS SLR either.
But using any of the EF fit lenses in manual focus is actually quite decent as the focus peaking feature on the M10 works great. I used this with both the 50mm and 90mm to great success.

The Meike adaptor is fine, good value for money, certainly worth it if you have any EF/EFS lenses. It is fairly light, but the mounts are metal and it does have the tripod foot attached.

Anyone with or had the M3 and now has M6 be interested in reviews.

I did not go for the M3 (was not happy with the handling/balance) but I have the M5 and M6 now.

In handling terms the M5 is superb and the M6 quality of finish is all you could ask for, the picture quality is great. I use the M6 with the 22mm pancake and it is suble in use and easy in my coat pocket. I will get more use with it when I return to England this week. For me the M6 feels better balanced than the M3, which as I mentioned above, I did not take to. Using the 11-22 on both bodies I am comfortable going handheld with the M5 but I use a very lightweight Manfrotto monopod with the M6.

I've just returned from Paris where I only had the EOS-M10.
I was quite impressed, it's small but very capable. OK so AF isn't as fast as other M series cameras and the low light capabilities aren't so good beyond ISO3200, but I'm pretty happy with results like this:

Taken from the top of the Eiffel Tower with the camera stuck through the fence (couldn't do that with the 6D), kit 15-45mm lens.

An Eiffel View by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

My only real gripe with the M10 is the battery life. Thankfully I had 2 fully charged spares with me.

Red Arrows were displaying at Cowes this evening and as usual they are parking overnight at Bournemouth International Airport. Took the M5 along with the 70-300mm L on a Canon adapter, have to say the AF lock on or tracking are nowhere near as good as even my MKI 7D which means I am still going to upgrade that after all but it did an ok job overall.

Not sure I would trust it for a full airshow but we will see at the end of the month when the Bournemouth show is on for 4 days.

Take off

Red Arrows Bournemouth Airport by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Starburst

Landing

Last edited:
Moral of the story, don't break your neck (literally in my case) and expect not to find long term kit and loaded kit bag issues!

I don't use the supplied Canon strap's. horrible things. Use Black Rapid straps (y)

It's interesting to read comments about the lack of glass for the M5. I too am considering a switch to Fuji, and the lovely Fuji lenses.

As said, you can use the adaptor, but that's not the point surely? You don't buy a Ferrari and need to put your Mondeo diesel engine in to go out....

I don't use the supplied Canon strap's. horrible things. Use Black Rapid straps (y)

Same for me but on the original M body, the US company OpTech produced a version of their flexible strap that had cleats that fit the M body strap studs. It allows the user to snap in extension pieces etc.

Steve

Same for me but on the original M body, the US company OpTech produced a version of their flexible strap that had cleats that fit the M body strap studs. It allows the user to snap in extension pieces etc.

Steve
Surely all that's required is a pair of triangular split rings

View media item 12853I bought the M10 but quickly changed to the M3, main reason was extra dials and the better flip screen.

Reasonably happy with the M3 and the photos out of it I am happy with.

Thinks I would like is an EVF and better low light usage

Last edited:
View media item 12853I bought the M10 but quickly changed to the M3, main reason was extra dials and the better flip screen.

Reasonably happy with the M3 and the photos out of it I am happy with.

Thinks I would like is an EVF and better low light usage

Ive still got my old M & then got my M3 and cant fault em otherthan an efv was a must when i purshased my M3 so shop around as ive seen some various prices for the evf which i will be purchasing when i get the M6

Hi, was thinking of getting an m3 with the ef mount to use my existing lenses. But been reading reviews that say the focus speed is terrible on a lot of non stm lenses.

How true is this in the real use world and has this been firmware patched at all as the reviews are all 1-2 years old.

Cheers

Hi, was thinking of getting an m3 with the ef mount to use my existing lenses. But been reading reviews that say the focus speed is terrible on a lot of non stm lenses.

How true is this in the real use world and has this been firmware patched at all as the reviews are all 1-2 years old.

Cheers
Ive got the M3 & not been aware of any firmware updates.
Ive got the M's 22mm, 18-50, 50-200 & focus speed i dont notice poss because ive had the camera from when they 1st came out however i do notice a slower focusing on the ef lenses but again so used to using them i hardly notice even with my sigma 600

Cheers

I have the M10 (so not quite as advanced as the M3 on the AF side of things) and I have the Meike EF mount adaptor. I've put my Canon 50mm f1.4 USM on it and found AF to really sluggish, to the point where it's almost quicker to put it into manual focus and use focus peaking (which works well) to actually get it in focus.
I've also put the Canon 24-105mm f4 L USM on the M10. It does work and focusing is slightly better (I think that USM motor is newer than the 50mm). It's usable but not ideal for fast moving stuff.
Part of the issue is the fact that the EOS-M series works in a constant-AF mode, so it's always hunting for focus. The STM motors can cope with this, but the USM motors were not designed to do this.

I have the M10 (so not quite as advanced as the M3 on the AF side of things) and I have the Meike EF mount adaptor. I've put my Canon 50mm f1.4 USM on it and found AF to really sluggish, to the point where it's almost quicker to put it into manual focus and use focus peaking (which works well) to actually get it in focus.
I've also put the Canon 24-105mm f4 L USM on the M10. It does work and focusing is slightly better (I think that USM motor is newer than the 50mm). It's usable but not ideal for fast moving stuff.
Part of the issue is the fact that the EOS-M series works in a constant-AF mode, so it's always hunting for focus. The STM motors can cope with this, but the USM motors were not designed to do this.
Sorry but what do you mean constant af mode?

Just because I use af tracking with the usm lenses on a 1D and those work fine. I know the 1D af system is very good however and can't really be compared with the m3.

I just don't get how it could supposedly be okay with some and not others, surely the point of the adapter is to enable the use of the canon lenses.

Sorry but what do you mean constant af mode?

Just because I use af tracking with the usm lenses on a 1D and those work fine. I know the 1D af system is very good however and can't really be compared with the m3.

I just don't get how it could supposedly be okay with some and not others, surely the point of the adapter is to enable the use of the canon lenses.

The AF system on a DSLR will only start working when you either hold down the shutter or hold the back-focus button. On an EOS-M, it's default mode is to always be focusing (to keep the image on screen in focus and supposedly so it's ready for a shot at anytime), you can see it moving even if you're not half-pressing the shutter. If it's also in face-tracking mode, it'll look for a face in the scene to focus on and it'll carry on focusing front to back till it finds one. If it's in an AF-area focus mode, it'll try to find anything in that area to focus on and just carry on till it finds something.
Even with continuous AF turned off, it seems to struggle to focus at least with the two lenses I've tried. I will be trying it in more depth this week as I take it on holiday.

However, this might be due to the fact that the M10 has a different AF system to the M3.
It may also be down to the lenses, the 50mm f1.4 is an old lens now and it's AF motor isn't brilliant.
I did try an M3 in store with the Canon 35mm f1.4 L Mk2 and that worked pretty well. So maybe the M3 combined with newer EF USM lenses will work better.
Worth going to a store to try yourself though.

Part of the point of the EOS M series, (like most mirrorless cameras) is to give good quality in a small package and if you go putting large EF lenses on it, you lose the size advantage.

But again, I always use back button focus tracking with no problem on usm. So it can't be the lenses being slow on the m3?

Part of the reason for looking at the m3 was not having to buy new glass when I could reuse my existing ef gear. Plus the range of m lenses isn't exactly inspiring.

I guess the other option is get older manual lenses, I hear the m3 is pretty nice to use with fd lenses.

But again, I always use back button focus tracking with no problem on usm. So it can't be the lenses being slow on the m3?

Part of the reason for looking at the m3 was not having to buy new glass when I could reuse my existing ef gear. Plus the range of m lenses isn't exactly inspiring.

I guess the other option is get older manual lenses, I hear the m3 is pretty nice to use with fd lenses.

I use my Pentax M series K moint manual lenses on my M10 with a PK-EF-M adapter and all work well (obviously in manual mode).

Not using the M5 for manual work by very pleased with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART on it. Very quivk focus. The EF-M STM lenses are perfectly good for what they cover (excl the 18-150 which I have rejected), pleased to say the EF 70-200 f/4 IS feels good on the M5 and af is quick but the 55-200 M is first choice 9/10 times.

Overall I stuck with the M series bodies (did not go for ghe M3) in the hope of the M5 'doing the business", it does. Canon still need to build on it's lens choice for the M series and, in spite of the adapter, a discrete prime M series lens choice is still needed. The Fuji range still nags at me.

This was my reasoning for getting my M3 and I've been very disappointed. The native lenses are fine, but any of the EF lenses I've tried to use on the M3 the AF speed has been truly awful. I have some nice L-series lenses which are very fast to AF on any DSLR I've used them on, but not on the M3. I started with the original EOS-M and was disappointed with that, but upgraded to the M3 hoping it would be better and it's not much. I *could* upgrade to the M5 or M6 but I haven't seen anything that proves they're any better, and I think I've thrown enough money in Canon's direction now!

The M6 is only just out which is why you are unlikely to find any secondhand, though there are a few M5s about.

The reason I got an M series was primarily to have a smaller camera to take around that still had a decent size sensor.
The fact I can use EF lenses on it from time to time is a bonus and something that counted towards it vs Sony/Fuji, but it isn't going to replace my DSLR. It's just a smaller camera for situations I don't want to take a big camera.

I might, in time, try out the 40mm STM pancake to see if that works ok, but I'm in no rush.

The best bet is to go to a store that stocks the M3 and take a couple of your lenses to try.

The m6 is supposed to be a lot better with ef lenses, but the body is almost double the price of the m3.

Like rocking horse poop used too.

If your not doing sport imo i think M3 is very good, take a look at my Flickr site below & the lens used, if using ef lenses at a set focal then manual focus is easy if not its not overly bad once you know its focal speed.
Only reasonn id go for M6 is juat a newer model since mine is getting on for 3 years old.

Last edited:
After owning an original M since the Argos £199.99 deal some years back and always being happy with the image quality, but not the usual speed, auto focus and fixed screen problems, I've ordered myself an M6.

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can have a play. I have high expectations.

After owning an original M since the Argos £199.99 deal some years back and always being happy with the image quality, but not the usual speed, auto focus and fixed screen problems, I've ordered myself an M6.

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can have a play. I have high expectations.
I'd be interested with your views on the M6 and lenses you've used.
Im ready to buy the M6 but would like to read some reviews first.

I've had the EF-M 11-22mm, 22mm and kit 18-55mm pretty much since I first bought the original M. I've not really used the 18-55mm which I have now decided to try and sell on.

I was also using an EF-S 55-250mm non STM with Meike adaptor, but have just sold this on and ordered an EF-M 55-200mm as they can now be had for reasonable money.

So my kit of lens will consist of the EF-M 11-22mm, 22mm and 55-200mm, plus I still have the Meike adaptor should I decide to try any of my EF lens.

I'll report back on what I think.

I've had the EF-M 11-22mm, 22mm and kit 18-55mm pretty much since I first bought the original M. I've not really used the 18-55mm which I have now decided to try and sell on.

I was also using an EF-S 55-250mm non STM with Meike adaptor, but have just sold this on and ordered an EF-M 55-200mm as they can now be had for reasonable money.

So my kit of lens will consist of the EF-M 11-22mm, 22mm and 55-200mm, plus I still have the Meike adaptor should I decide to try any of my EF lens.

Aww 11-22 lens review would also be good on the M6

I used the EF-S 55-250 on my M kit but finally went for the 55-200 and very pleased with it on the M5 and M10. Additionally very happy with the 11-22, very nice IQ with a better balance than the 55-250 and adapter fit. I tend to leave the 22mm on the M6 for 'street', additionally the M6 with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART feels good too. The M10 may well be surplus to requirement but hanging on, just in case, for now.

As you mention, the 55-200 can be had cheaply, currently on the BAY for around £150-170 as white box kit break outs but Canon's Summer Cashback offers £40 for either the 11-22 or 55-200 till 31 August.

Just wish Canon would bring som M primes. I have the 28mm macrolite but the Sigma 30mm blows it away. I use the 28mm in macro for cataloguing my stam collection, it has a very narrow d.o.f.

I used the EF-S 55-250 on my M kit but finally went for the 55-200 and very pleased with it on the M5 and M10. Additionally very happy with the 11-22, very nice IQ with a better balance than the 55-250 and adapter fit. I tend to leave the 22mm on the M6 for 'street', additionally the M6 with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART feels good too. The M10 may well be surplus to requirement but hanging on, just in case, for now.

As you mention, the 55-200 can be had cheaply, currently on the BAY for around £150-170 as white box kit break outs but Canon's Summer Cashback offers £40 for either the 11-22 or 55-200 till 31 August.

Just wish Canon would bring som M primes. I have the 28mm macrolite but the Sigma 30mm blows it away. I use the 28mm in macro for cataloguing my stam collection, it has a very narrow d.o.f.

What's your view between M5 & 6 just dont wont to jump in on the M6 like i did with the M & M3

What's your view between M5 & 6 just dont wont to jump in on the M6 like i did with the M & M3

Hi

I must admit that whilst the essential specs of the M5/M6 are the same, my first choice is the M5 but purely for it's handling and the integrated EVF. The M5 is not a true pocket camera but it does handle legacy EF/EF-S mount glass really well. That is not the same dynamic with the M6, which I have (tongue in cheek) stated I was going to buy merely to put it on display for me to worship and not use!

The reality is though that each fulfils a purpose that suits me.

I was comfortable with the M and M2 even given the tricky handling issues having big hands caused. My feeling was the M3 might address but actually did not. I skipped the M3 and was close to going to a Fuji setup but hung on.

So the nub is simple, the M5 is easy to handle, the EVF is quick, accurate and clever. Everything mounted and balanced well with even a 150-600 lens. I love it and along with the M10 I picked up very cheap as a body only (cashback + £90 Amazon vouchers meant I got it for £70!).

On my recent Ireland trip the M5/M10 pairing worked well... until..... I bumped into a guy with an M6 so a quick mutual appreciation moment I realised the M6 was going to be a super walkabout body. I ordered one the same day!

In thinking about which one... I like both of the bodies but for different reasons.

My advice is to handle both and apply a choice on what your main photography 'target' is.

The M5 is more natural in a SLR handling way, eye to viewfinder and comfortable/natural to hold. On the other hand the M6 is subtle, pocketable and dramatically good looking (silver version). An EVF is also available (I have not bought one) should that be necessary.

Which one? Sorry but I need both - cop out? YES! Both are everything you could want.... but balance your decision on what would fit your needs.

Steve

Hi

I must admit that whilst the essential specs of the M5/M6 are the same, my first choice is the M5 but purely for it's handling and the integrated EVF. The M5 is not a true pocket camera but it does handle legacy EF/EF-S mount glass really well. That is not the same dynamic with the M6, which I have (tongue in cheek) stated I was going to buy merely to put it on display for me to worship and not use!

The reality is though that each fulfils a purpose that suits me.

I was comfortable with the M and M2 even given the tricky handling issues having big hands caused. My feeling was the M3 might address but actually did not. I skipped the M3 and was close to going to a Fuji setup but hung on.

So the nub is simple, the M5 is easy to handle, the EVF is quick, accurate and clever. Everything mounted and balanced well with even a 150-600 lens. I love it and along with the M10 I picked up very cheap as a body only (cashback + £90 Amazon vouchers meant I got it for £70!).

On my recent Ireland trip the M5/M10 pairing worked well... until..... I bumped into a guy with an M6 so a quick mutual appreciation moment I realised the M6 was going to be a super walkabout body. I ordered one the same day!

In thinking about which one... I like both of the bodies but for different reasons.

My advice is to handle both and apply a choice on what your main photography 'target' is.

The M5 is more natural in a SLR handling way, eye to viewfinder and comfortable/natural to hold. On the other hand the M6 is subtle, pocketable and dramatically good looking (silver version). An EVF is also available (I have not bought one) should that be necessary.

Which one? Sorry but I need both - cop out? YES! Both are everything you could want.... but balance your decision on what would fit your needs.

Steve

Interesting views - thanks for that. I have an M3 with the EVF which I assume would work with the M6. Is the AF speed with adapted EF lenses the same on the M6 and M5? Are they both significantly better than the same EF lenses on your M10?

Interesting views - thanks for that. I have an M3 with the EVF which I assume would work with the M6. Is the AF speed with adapted EF lenses the same on the M6 and M5? Are they both significantly better than the same EF lenses on your M10?

I mist admit that I only use the M lenses and the Sigma 30mm on the M6, even then it is usually the 22mm pancake or 15-45 kit lenses. The EF 70-200 IS f/2.8 works fine but is a handful on the M6!

The5 is more balanced.

The AF on the M10 varies in speed on different EF/EF-S lenses and in low/fading light sometimes can 'seek' AF on auto. I tend to use my light meter in early morning/late evening on all the bodies and set the speed/aperture accordingly.

My FF/Crop DSLR kit is getting less use and will be moved on soon. I had a stroke last December so the lighter M kit is ideal.

I think the EVF you have is the same unit for the M6.

Steve

As far as I am aware both versions of the EVF work on the M6. I don't have one yet, but will probably get one when one comes up at the right price.

£134 for a white box. I'm sure they were around £300 when I bought my original M hence the reason for going for an EF-S 55-250mm plus Meike adaptor which came in at about £100.

Back