Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Interesting, it’s ONLY the 100-400 IS that struggles with AF on the M3; the 200mm 2.8 L (even older) focus quickly and smoothly.. so perplexing! Any annoying! If anyone has a similar set up I’d be interested for a quick phone call for a diagnosis if they would be so kind!

Interesting, it’s ONLY the 100-400 IS that struggles with AF on the M3; the 200mm 2.8 L (even older) focus quickly and smoothly.. so perplexing! Any annoying! If anyone has a similar set up I’d be interested for a quick phone call for a diagnosis if they would be so kind!

My 150-600 Sigma is same very slow, my ef and M lenses are fine with my M3

May as well wait for the M7....[emoji102]

M7 or whatever it will be called is likely to be a FF body with an announcement due in the fourth quarter of 2018. The word according to Canon Rumours or more accurately Rumors, is at CR2 level indicating that the information is good and from a known source. I wonder how heavy and indeed pricey a FF mirrorless from Canon might be....

I too was looking at the M5 as a spare and because of the weight advantage but there seems to be one drawback for the event shooter in that there is a shutter lag which potentially means one may not always be able to capture an intended expression at the precise moment. That said, I haven't checked it out myself and there is an attractively wide range of pricing out there. Battery issues ( under 300 shots ) still persist though.

Last edited:
M7 or whatever it will be called is likely to be a FF body with an announcement due in the fourth quarter of 2018. The word according to Canon Rumours or more accurately Rumors, is at CR2 level indicating that the information is good and from a known source. I wonder how heavy and indeed pricey a FF mirrorless from Canon might be....

I too was looking at the M5 as a spare and because of the weight advantage but there seems to be one drawback for the event shooter in that there is a shutter lag which potentially means one may not always be able to capture an intended expression at the precise moment. That said, I haven't checked it out myself and there is an attractively wide range of pricing out there. Battery issues ( under 300 shots ) still persist though.
Good stuff there.

A FF M series could be interesting in engineering terms. To EF or not EF that is the question, whether a FF M lens series is nobler than the paucity of the current EF-M series......

Given Sony's alpha 7 full frame compact is shipping, Canon, once again, will be playing catch up. Unless they licence Sony's mount and lens range? More adapters?

We live in interesting times!

M7 or whatever it will be called is likely to be a FF body with an announcement due in the fourth quarter of 2018. ..

Looking at the evolution if the M system so far, it'd be cataclysmic, frankly I can't believe it.

In 5 years they've managed 2 half decent prime lenses still haven't produced the perfect M series body, which would be rangefinder in style, having incorrectly assumed that the only people interested in mirrorless weren't interested in 'proper' photography. They don't understand a camera needs a decent viewfinder, and that doesn't mean it has to look and feel like an SLR.

For me the great advantage of mirrorless is the smaller body, and APSC allows for matching fast small(ish) lenses. The Fuji system is perfect, but I don't want to own 2 lots of lenses.

Looking at the evolution if the M system so far, it'd be cataclysmic, frankly I can't believe it.

In 5 years they've managed 2 half decent prime lenses still haven't produced the perfect M series body, which would be rangefinder in style, having incorrectly assumed that the only people interested in mirrorless weren't interested in 'proper' photography. They don't understand a camera needs a decent viewfinder, and that doesn't mean it has to look and feel like an SLR.

For me the great advantage of mirrorless is the smaller body, and APSC allows for matching fast small(ish) lenses. The Fuji system is perfect, but I don't want to own 2 lots of lenses.

Phil,

I’m a Nikon man but drop my lenses onto to a Fuji -XT1 occasionally via an adapter. There is is also a Canon adapter. May be of interest.

https://fujilove.com/lens-adapters-a-look-at-your-options-coming-from-canon-or-nikon/

Good stuff there.

A FF M series could be interesting in engineering terms. To EF or not EF that is the question, whether a FF M lens series is nobler than the paucity of the current EF-M series......

Given Sony's alpha 7 full frame compact is shipping, Canon, once again, will be playing catch up. Unless they licence Sony's mount and lens range? More adapters?

We live in interesting times!

Indeed Steve, Canon should have entered the mirrorless arena that much earlier. Why sacrifice the advantage to your competitors? However we have had some stellar bodies from them in the meantime, the 5D3 and 4, the 1DX2. The M5 isn't bad. It just could be better but I'm sure Canon will not do a ' Honda ' as in F1.....

Interesting to see what they have to offer and indeed at which price points!!!

There is talk that no adapter will be needed on the FFM or that was how I read it .....

Last edited:
I love my DSLRs, I'd considered an adaptor for Fuji, but have decided an M5 is a better bet.. not that I've committed yet.
I mulled over the Fuji system long and hard and the dearth of M lenses is aggravating but the M5 was the deciding factor. I also went for the M6 but only for it's looks! The M6 with the 22mm pancake is a joy to use even without the EVF.

At the moment apart from Canon, Tamron do AF M mount lenses, while Samsung have produced some UWA manual M mount lenses. There are a couple of Chinese companies doing M mount lenses, including one that has an f/1 prime!

Canon's reliance on the M adapter for it's EF/EF-S range, whilst logical, is irritating when I look at the Fuji offering.

Steve

I would agree that Canon's M system is a disaster for a company of their standing. Agreed too that they have channelled their resources towards their other bodies to the detriment of a much higher profile entry into the mirrorless market. But they have produced some wonderful FF and APSC bodies, especially the former. Like you and many, I just wish we could have taken advantage of the benefits mirrorless offers more effectively with Canon.

I did try out the X-T2 Phil but found tracking and AF in low light to be wanting. In all other respects, the X-T2 system would have been perfect for me and from admittedly my limited testing, I do also prefer Fuji's skin tones. Canon have ( for me ) perfected the user interface beginning with the 5D3. If only eh?

There is talk that no adapter will be needed on the FFM or that was how I read it .....

Which would remove the only remaining advantage of mirrorless, both body and lens size.

If the body doesn't use an adaptor, it needs the same size lens throat as their DSLR's, and uses the same size lenses, what's the point?

It sounds like an April fools joke to me.

Which would remove the only remaining advantage of mirrorless, both body and lens size.

If the body doesn't use an adaptor, it needs the same size lens throat as their DSLR's, and uses the same size lenses, what's the point?

It sounds like an April fools joke to me.

It could have been a dedicated mount........ I will investigate my earlier reading!! :D

Well after 2 weeks with the m10 I'm really impressed but I've sent it back. That's because I'm going to get a newer body was thinking the m5 or 6 and get the 11-22 55-200 and 22. Anyone using one of these as their main camera?

Well after 2 weeks with the m10 I'm really impressed but I've sent it back. That's because I'm going to get a newer body was thinking the m5 or 6 and get the 11-22 55-200 and 22. Anyone using one of these as their main camera?

Hi

Yes

I have both the M5 and M6 plus the lenses you list.

The 11-22 is superb and the 55-200 a great performer. The 22 is a must have.

I use the M5 as my main camera now and it really is a great performer. It is basically an 80D but lighter and more compact. I recently took a complete M5 + M lens range to New England for the fall and as I was travelling light all went into my walk on bag!

I bought the M6 purely on looks alone and love it with the 22 pancake on it. The M5 and M6 have the same intermals so swapping between the two is dead easy. I use the M6 for street/walkabout because it slips into my coat pocket and is discrete in use. I have not bought an EVF for it.

For me the M5 is my favourite but basically if I had only the M6, I could live with it butI would need the EVF.

Try handling both if you can.

Steve

Yes, I have an M6, MK1 viewfinder and all 3 lens you have mentioned. The viewfinder works well and tilts 90 degrees which is handy and obviously it is removable when you don’t want to use it.

This is the kit I will be taking with me to Cuba next month.

I had the M5 and still have the lenses and adapter. I sold the body as I wanted to try Fuji but kept the lenses "just in case". Never did get round to trying Fuji, put the money towards buying my Pentax K-1 FF body instead. I recently sold a different Canon lens and had started to look for another M5 but literally just won a different Pentax mount lens on Ebay so now I have to go back to saving again (or sell yet another lens) :(

Anyway the upshot of it is that the M5 is a stonking little camera, the 11-22mm and 22mm lenses are a must have.

Well I’ve now pushed the button on a M5 with 14-45 lens and adaptor package which should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been considering this purchase for some time now and decided that it represents the best solution for me to enable the use of the Canon lenses I’ve already got.
I’ve dabbled with Fuji but felt it didn’t offer me what I need for my wildlife photography without a huge investment, not something I’m in a position achieve at this time and also I feel more comfortable with lenses that I know and trust.
I’m hoping that I’ve now got my answer from reading through the previous posts here and am looking forward to my ‘M5’ future.

Well I’ve now pushed the button on a M5 with 14-45 lens and adaptor package which should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been considering this purchase for some time now and decided that it represents the best solution for me to enable the use of the Canon lenses I’ve already got.
I’ve dabbled with Fuji but felt it didn’t offer me what I need for my wildlife photography without a huge investment, not something I’m in a position achieve at this time and also I feel more comfortable with lenses that I know and trust.
I’m hoping that I’ve now got my answer from reading through the previous posts here and am looking forward to my ‘M5’ future.
I'm looking at ordering the same, where did you order from if you don't mind me asking.

I'm looking at ordering the same, where did you order from if you don't mind me asking.

Just to interject HDew are doing the M5 at £539 currently. I have never had any issues with them.

Picked up a couple of M lenses via the Bay incl the sliver finish EF-M 55-200 via a drop shipper in Dublin at £137 delivered. The 11-22 and 22mm pancake are difficult to source cheaply but are superb lenses.

The EF-M 28mm macrolite is about 3/5 and though I have one, I would not recommend it as for a little more cash you can get the sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART albeit requiring the adapter.

Steve

Just to interject HDew are doing the M5 at £539 currently. I have never had any issues with them.

Picked up a couple of M lenses via the Bay incl the sliver finish EF-M 55-200 via a drop shipper in Dublin at £137 delivered. The 11-22 and 22mm pancake are difficult to source cheaply but are superb lenses.

The EF-M 28mm macrolite is about 3/5 and though I have one, I would not recommend it as for a little more cash you can get the sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART albeit requiring the adapter.

Steve
I've managed to order a 11-22 in excellent condition from mpb for £183 and a good 55-200 as well for £104. Traded the 15-45 in for £55 and get free pickup and delivery so saves £10 in delivery costs. I've used hdew before and that was where I was looking as they give 3 year warranty as well.

Steve
Oh well, some you win I guess but my wife bought it for me as a Birthday / Xmas present so I’m not too worried.

I've managed to order a 11-22 in excellent condition from mpb for £183 and a good 55-200 as well for £104. Traded the 15-45 in for £55 and get free pickup and delivery so saves £10 in delivery costs. I've used hdew before and that was where I was looking as they give 3 year warranty as well.

Good price for the 11-22

One went on here for £150 last year.

Tried the 18-150 but too much CA and edge issues on the 4 copies I tried.

The M series is growing in popularity in the USA. I saw quite a few in use in Boston and a friend has ordered the M5 kit and selling/trading his Nikon gear.

For some the price/value question is holding them back on CSC purchases.

My only concern is that canon seem to be making loads of bodies but not much in the way of lenses. I like the idea that you can get the adapters and use normal canon lenses but I would have expected more lenses in the M range being produced especially larger aperture lenses.

That could be a plan, I really want the adaptor as well though so I can use my existing Canon lenses.

The Meike adapter works well and comes in around £20-25

My only concern is that canon seem to be making loads of bodies but not much in the way of lenses. I like the idea that you can get the adapters and use normal canon lenses but I would have expected more lenses in the M range being produced especially larger aperture lenses.

That has been my concern from day 1.

Canon has essentially created a relly good body but sell on the adapter based flexibility to use their larger catalogue. Good business.... perhaps. Of the 2 prime lenses (22mm and 28mm ) the former is the jewel in the crown. The 28 is adequate. Of the Zoom M lenses, the 11-22 is a standout, the 18-55 kit lens is very good and the 15-45 kit lens all too quickly maxs out to f/6.3 after 33mm

That brings the overpriced (IMHO) 18-150 zoom. It handles well but is optically lacking on the M5. For me it is not worth £400 retail. On the M10/100 the question for me is why? I was not happy with it on the M6. Just felt wrong.

I hope to wake tomorrow to a 17mm/24mm/35mm/85mm set of M primes. Two of those - the 35mm exist now as the EF-S 24 and the new EF-S 35mm (which is styled with the same type of LED lighting on the lens as the EF-M 28mm. Both these lenses are f/2.8 at the brightest but compromise the M series compact format in requiring the adapter!

Why have I persisted with the M? It works well and is compact enough for 80% of the time. I live in hope that, say, the M100 takes off and people demand faster primes. Until then , I will use some of the EF/EF-S kit I have but ask me this time in 2018 if I am still with Canon.

Last edited:
Back