Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Looks like the rumored M50 is going to be a mid range camera, I still can't imagine how this will fit within the line up with the m6 and m5 :thinking: I can't think of anything spec they can change from the m5/m6, to get another model in.

I think that the base M/M2/M10 filled a price point that is well below the M3/M100/M5/M6.

The M100 pitch was quality, connectivity, social media to a higher income target but that IMHO leaves a gap for a ‘starter’ M body.

The M10 lacks the full connectivity that might be a requirement for more serious SM feed on a low budget.

A bit of a guess but an M50 might be a stripped M100 style, single sensor, BT, WiFi, NFC which might be suited to the Selphy 1300 printer?

I think that the base M/M2/M10 filled a price point that is well below the M3/M100/M5/M6.

The M100 pitch was quality, connectivity, social media to a higher income target but that IMHO leaves a gap for a ‘starter’ M body.

The M10 lacks the full connectivity that might be a requirement for more serious SM feed on a low budget.

A bit of a guess but an M50 might be a stripped M100 style, single sensor, BT, WiFi, NFC which might be suited to the Selphy 1300 printer?

Could possibly be. I was wondering if canon would do what fuji have done with the xa5 they have just released, but to me, that would be the M6.

Got to love the rumours keeping us guessing, not long now till cp+!

Could possibly be. I was wondering if canon would do what fuji have done with the xa5 they have just released, but to me, that would be the M6.

Got to love the rumours keeping us guessing, not long now till cp+!

Canon will want go get people anticipating their big show releases.....

At leat the M series is getting corporate push. A couple of M primes would not go amiss!

Looks like the rumored M50 is going to be a mid range camera, I still can't imagine how this will fit within the line up with the m6 and m5 :thinking: I can't think of anything spec they can change from the m5/m6, to get another model in.

Only thing I can think of is a stripped back version like the M10/M100 but with a built in EVF. Would kind of carry on the 5 numbering system of the M5 and G5x having EVF's. Fun to speculate of course, but who knows how Canon work out what their numbering system means:)

But what’s ‘mid-range’?

I’d describe the M5 as a ‘mid-range’ camera as it’s squarely sat with the mid range DSLR’s.

But if we call the M5 their ‘top of the range mirrorless’ then midrange would be the M6, with almost all the features of the M5, just cut down enough to be cheaper.

Frankly my luck says a new camera will have an EVF without the pseudo DSLR styling, because that’s what I’ve wished for and now my M5 is finally on the way, it’ll turn up.

But like Steve says, we really need some decent M lenses if the cameras are to be taken seriously.

But what’s ‘mid-range’?

I’d describe the M5 as a ‘mid-range’ camera as it’s squarely sat with the mid range DSLR’s.

But if we call the M5 their ‘top of the range mirrorless’ then midrange would be the M6, with almost all the features of the M5, just cut down enough to be cheaper.

Frankly my luck says a new camera will have an EVF without the pseudo DSLR styling, because that’s what I’ve wished for and now my M5 is finally on the way, it’ll turn up.

But like Steve says, we really need some decent M lenses if the cameras are to be taken seriously.

Phil

I have to say that I am enjoying using the M5 more and more.

Did a Cricket Club shoot for the youth teams last night - was meant to be last October!

Had the YN E3-RX on the M5 and 2 x YN 600EX-RT on cheapo stands with even cheaper boxes on them.

Stood my partner in to set light (my flash meter seems dead [emoji53]) all ok - linked the M5 with the EF-S 15-85 on it and just went for it.

Used Canon Connect on the IPad for remote firing of the camera which allowed me to stand off and talk to the youngsters.

Not my usual set up but was last minute - it wall worked well and my partner had a wander capturing shots of the parents and club members with her 80D with 430EX and EF 85 f/1.8

All in it just worked and a little adjustment in Light Room and it will be job done.

Apart from the light stands, the M5 and speedlights, boxes and the Manfrotto BeFree One tripod all went into a medium bag!

My partner’s 80D/85mm and 430 went into a small 150 size Lowepro messenger bag.

We would have used my M6 in place of thr 80D except my eldest son had borrowed it.

All in, and even lugging the 15-85 lens, it was an easy job from the car into venue and out again!

Sounds great Steve ( @Hugh Jarse )
I’m going all Godox, and one of the purchases will be the TT350 which I’ll pair with the M5.

But what’s ‘mid-range’?

I agree, it's about time they did something special, if they were as committed as fuji it would be great.

Sounds great Steve ( @Hugh Jarse )
I’m going all Godox, and one of the purchases will be the TT350 which I’ll pair with the M5.

I will be quite interested in how the Godox kit pans out for you. My Iridh Wild Atlantic project is more than 3/4 completed but from mid April on I will be back on the road and the main thrust is finishing the little projects that I have delayed over the past 2 trips, which will need to be addressed (eg some cave shots in the Burren in Co Clare , where more light may be necessary).

In the meantime we are going off to New England in 10 days for my partner to hand off (and get paid for) some work she has been doing and her father’s 75th birthday. M kit will be going too!

Steve

Only thing I can think of is a stripped back version like the M10/M100 but with a built in EVF. Would kind of carry on the 5 numbering system of the M5 and G5x having EVF's. Fun to speculate of course, but who knows how Canon work out what their numbering system means:)

Built in evf would be very nice, I don't always like using the rear screen.

Well the M5 is here, but I can’t find a 22mm for sale anywhere :(

I’ve searched the thread, is there a decent resource on 3rd party EF-m lenses anywhere, I’m not a big fan of the adaptor, it’s gonna be massive with the 35mm Art.

I wonder if people are now realising what a great deal the Eos M with magic lantern makes for videographers as the prices of the original Eos M have been on the rise lately on eBay.

There is a full M kit with the 22mm in the for sale section but another member has put a first dib on it should the seller choose to split.

The usual grey ebay sellers seem to have sold up their 22mm stock from split box kits sourced from the Far East. Painful for you Phil but I got one of those for £60 delivered back when Argos were doing the M kit for £199.99.
They are holding their price in the USA too.

As noted above, the original M with Magic Lantern is a great performer so vLoggers are picking them up for their use.

Will keep an eye out for a 22mm but they have become hot property.

Steve

Last edited:
There is a full M kit with the 22mm in the for sale section but another member has put a first dib on it should the seller choose to split.

The usual grey ebay sellers seem to have sold up their 22mm stock from split box kits sourced from the Far East. Painful for you Phil but I got one of those for £60 delivered back when Argos were doing the M kit for £199.99.
They are holding their price in the USA too.

As noted above, the original M with Magic Lantern is a great performer so vLoggers are picking them up for their use.

Will keep an eye out for a 22mm but they have become hot property.

Steve
I’ve seen the one in for sale, I was about to post I’d be interested in the 22 but was beaten to it.
There’s one on eBay that’s not a fortune, but more than I was hoping to pay.
I’m not in a hurry, but nor am I very patient. :(

I’ve seen the one in for sale, I was about to post I’d be interested in the 22 but was beaten to it.
There’s one on eBay that’s not a fortune, but more than I was hoping to pay.
I’m not in a hurry, but nor am I very patient. :(

In reality the 22mm in early days went for £60-110. Now £95+ second hand. The Grey import mob using Dublin/EU trans-shipment points (eg e-global when they have them) were £135+.

Cheapest on CPB is £195!

TBH that is possibly a reaction to £/$/€ exchange issues which are changing as the £ rises. See how the retailers go in the coming weeks.

I agree that using the adapter is not the best way but for me the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART just blows the M 28mm away. Needs must.

The 22mm is still a peach of a lens.

Well the M5 is here, but I can’t find a 22mm for sale anywhere :(

I’ve searched the thread, is there a decent resource on 3rd party EF-m lenses anywhere, I’m not a big fan of the adaptor, it’s gonna be massive with the 35mm Art.

Just been posted today on dpreview, a list of lenses to fit the EF-M mount though most of the third party ones are manual focus.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4253002

Maybe of some help, though hard to find anything comparable to the 22mm for price/quality.

Just been posted today on dpreview, a list of lenses to fit the EF-M mount though most of the third party ones are manual focus.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4253002

Maybe of some help, though hard to find anything comparable to the 22mm for price/quality.
That’s an interesting list, but confirms my suspicions that my 3 lens kit would be 22 st-m along with my 35mm Art and 85 1.8.

I might be tempted by a 55mm 1.4 Manual lens, but I’d also like to see a fastish 16mm or thereabouts

Guys, I’m after a bit of advice, and admit to not reading the whole of this thread yet.

I use a 5D4 most of the time, but have a 80D as a traveling light camera. I love both, but cant help feel as a travel camera i can get smaller.

So, my idea is to sell the 80D, and get the M5 (or maybe M6, but probably not) and use my EF-S lenses, and maybe one or two M lenses at a later date. Not a huge weight saving but when we go on holiday it will be enough, and for day to day walking to and from work, again enough.

My question is how well do the EF-S lenses work on the M series now (with adapter, obviously). I had the original M and hated it. I’m not looking to do sports or fast action, but will i find the AF too sluggish? Ill be mainly using my 18-135 Nano and probably my 10-18 STM.

I’m not after comparing it to the 80D, i know what I’m giving up as far as ergonomics and usability goes, and well aware of what Mirroless cameras offer, just how much will i struggle to get decent AF with non M lenses.

That’s an interesting list, but confirms my suspicions that my 3 lens kit would be 22 st-m along with my 35mm Art and 85 1.8.

I might be tempted by a 55mm 1.4 Manual lens, but I’d also like to see a fastish 16mm or thereabouts

Had a wander on the net and contacted a few friends(Aus/NZ/US/Canada), and zero local prices that would make buying an EF-M22mm abroad. Even some EBay sellers over the £200 mark for a lens that is being offered at £199.99 for Canon UK stock at the mail dealers. A favourable Exchange rate has not brought the prices down. Second hand less than mint EOS M10 bodies(some with non OEM chargers/batteries are over £200 on EBay, again the big UK dealers have these at £199.99.

The EU ‘grey’ dealers have pushed their 22mm stock up to the £160 mark.

It is a great lens and never ceases to surprise when pushed in difficult locations but would I pay £200 for it? Not sure, I got the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX ART for £209 when Sigma had a £90 cash-back on it so if I had to choose only one, I really am not sure which one of the two to let go.A simple balance is that at 22mm and 30mm, neither of the EF-M kit zooms match the IQ of the 22mm Pancake or the 30mm ART - not that you would expect them to.

Tough choice Phil, the spread of your 3 primes roughly match mine (I do use the EF40mm and 85mm f/1.8 too) so a non converter life is a way off yet. Generally the 22mm is on the M6 but is just as food on the M5.

My feeling - if a 22mm is a must have, go grey at £160 rather than used at £120.

Steve

Oh the good old days pre M5/6 when you could get the 22mm f2 for £75 on eBay.

I got a full kit for my niece with the 22mm rather than the kit zoom off Amazon warehouse for £215! She still loves using it. Her partner got her the kit zoom for her birthday last year.

Guys, I’m after a bit of advice, and admit to not reading the whole of this thread yet.

I use a 5D4 most of the time, but have a 80D as a traveling light camera. I love both, but cant help feel as a travel camera i can get smaller.

So, my idea is to sell the 80D, and get the M5 (or maybe M6, but probably not) and use my EF-S lenses, and maybe one or two M lenses at a later date. Not a huge weight saving but when we go on holiday it will be enough, and for day to day walking to and from work, again enough.

My question is how well do the EF-S lenses work on the M series now (with adapter, obviously). I had the original M and hated it. I’m not looking to do sports or fast action, but will i find the AF too sluggish? Ill be mainly using my 18-135 Nano and probably my 10-18 STM.

I’m not after comparing it to the 80D, i know what I’m giving up as far as ergonomics and usability goes, and well aware of what Mirroless cameras offer, just how much will i struggle to get decent AF with non M lenses.

The AF on both M5/M6 is light years ahead of the original M.

I use a few EF and EF-S lenses with the M5 mainly. The larger/heavier lenses are comfortable on the M5 but less so with the M6. Video with the 18-135 STM is very good as are stills. The newer Nano version should be as good as you get on your 80D as much of the M5 systems are the same.

On the M Lenses, the winners are the 11-22, 22 and 55-200. Until I got the M5, the EF-S 10-18 was my main UWA lens.

I would suggest ignoring the EF-M 28mm macrolite. For the money there are better, albeit needing the adapter. I have tried three EF-M 18-150 lenses and had a lot of CA with them all. The 15-45 is a capable lens but at 32mm the fastest it will be is f/6.3 all the way to 45mm, makes dusk a nightmare. I have the Sigma EX 30mm f/1.4 ART for evening walkabouts. It sits well on the M5 and M6. My 22mm M lens spends most of its time on the M6.

If I had to choose on one body it would be the M5. The M6/22m pairing is superb.

The AF on both M5/M6 is light years ahead of the original M.

I use a few EF and EF-S lenses with the M5 mainly. The larger/heavier lenses are comfortable on the M5 but less so with the M6. Video with the 18-135 STM is very good as are stills. The newer Nano version should be as good as you get on your 80D as much of the M5 systems are the same.

On the M Lenses, the winners are the 11-22, 22 and 55-200. Until I got the M5, the EF-S 10-18 was my main UWA lens.

I would suggest ignoring the EF-M 28mm macrolite. For the money there are better, albeit needing the adapter. I have tried three EF-M 18-150 lenses and had a lot of CA with them all. The 15-45 is a capable lens but at 32mm the fastest it will be is f/6.3 all the way to 45mm, makes dusk a nightmare. I have the Sigma EX 30mm f/1.4 ART for evening walkabouts. It sits well on the M5 and M6. My 22mm M lens spends most of its time on the M6.

If I had to choose on one body it would be the M5. The M6/22m pairing is superb.

Cheers, very helpful and encouraging.. I’m not bothered about macro (got a 24-70 f/4), and I’m not sure I’d want a f/6.3 lens (takes me back to my Sony period), so my 18-135 would be the main lens until Canon come up with something better but not slower. I think at the start it will be all EF-S lenses on this camera.

I’m not going away until July so have a few months to see how prices go, or if it’s replaced with something else. As i dont use my 80D much I’ll get rid of that first, closer to the time.

Another query ,I have the sigma 150 o.s macro and I,m thinking about getting a m3 to use with it rather than having to swop lenses around ,.anyone used a combo like that for macro and does it works o.k

Cheers mike

Another query ,I have the sigma 150 o.s macro and I,m thinking about getting a m3 to use with it rather than having to swop lenses around ,.anyone used a combo like that for macro and does it works o.k

Use an Original M with the 28mm EF-M mactolite nut the d.o.f is so shallow I only use that combination on my stamp collection. Other than that I have the EF-S 60m macro and a Yongnuo cheap LED ringflash but even that is a pain.

Been mulling over doing more macro work but what lens - 90/100/105/150 or 180?

Hopefully when I get back from the USA in mid-late March I will have some time to concentrate to think more.

My 22mm is finally here. :)

Having only used the 35 Art and the 50 STM so far, I’m now desperate for Canon to give us some more M primes :(

The camera is lovely with the little lens.

Not what I expected!

Interesting

Now some cutting edge primes.......
Don’t need to be cutting edge :)
I’m happy to use 6d 35art 50stm and 135L on jobs
All I want is a ‘reasonable’ 30 or 35 (f2 would do) and 56 or 85.
I don’t need exceptional and tiny just decent and small.

Going to be a wide range

M10/M3/M100/M5/M6 - only 3 decent M lenses.......

Back