Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I’ve yet to shoot any video on my R5 but that would be waaaaay beyond my needs!

Interesting that you have to switch it off to move from stills to movie.

I’ve yet to shoot any video on my R5 but that would be waaaaay beyond my needs!

Interesting that you have to switch it off to move from stills to movie.
I’m doing photos and filming so it’s an interesting idea. I’m not convinced of the practicality in the canon promo video of switching back and forth between photo and video mode - I rarely film handheld so the filming camera is likely rigged up with sound and on a tripod or gimbal etc.

I get the impression Canon is trying harder to answer the critics...than they normally do.

Has anyone had any autofocus issues with R5/R6 since last firmware update?

When out recently, there is sometimes some drift in the focus points in the vf, whereas it used to lock on and stay locked on. I wondered if it was just my imagination but the net seems to have a number of similar stories and my experience also started after firmware v1.5 was installed.

I’m on version 1.5 had no issues
at the moment am using eye tracking focus a lot and its even better than before picks up very fast
its not easy as far as I know to go back to a previous version, can be done but involves swapping memory cards during the process from what I’ve read , I would be very wary of doing this with an expensive camera

Has anyone had any autofocus issues with R5/R6 since last firmware update?

When out recently, there is sometimes some drift in the focus points in the vf, whereas it used to lock on and stay locked on. I wondered if it was just my imagination but the net seems to have a number of similar stories and my experience also started after firmware v1.5 was installed.
No issues on my side. What sort of shooting conditions are you experiencing this with?

No issues on my side. What sort of shooting conditions are you experiencing this with?
Largely when there is less light but in good light with shadows sometimes too.

Focus used to be maintained in a rock solid fashion at selected focus point, however now it sometimes brings up just a random block of focussing squares off to the side of where focus originally was!

Last edited:
Largely when there is less light but in good light with shadows sometimes too.

Focus used to be maintained in a rock solid fashion at selected focus point, however now it sometimes brings up just a random block of focissung squares off to the side of where focus originally was!
And nothing strange in the settings?

A couple of questions I am looking around for answers...maybe someone here has already trodden this path:

-Has anyone managed to turn off the lamp flash when using the 2 second timer? Or is gaffer tape the Canon solution?
-Can anyone confirm when shooting in silent mode, actuations are not counted? Apparently this is the case, as it would not affect the life of the shutter.

Last edited:
I haven’t worked out how you can turn off the red flashing LED on the timer!

I think there is a way that the electronic shutters get counted and reported alongside the mechanical but most software that I have seen (not kits) measure the mechanical shutter. Others may have more knowledge/experience than me.

So the R5 I had for 2 weeks went back today. The short story is.. Not for me..

Just a reminder... I needed the camera for sport using ISO 51200 f2.8 and usually a 640 or better shutter on a 400mm lens and even then getting under exposed ... So maxing it out really.. my requirements where a 2000 pixel jpg file and to shoot in jpg.

Under the above conditions the same as I would use on a 1dxII I expected the ISO capabilities to be simmilar But the added MP resized down to 25% would make for much better pictures.. It didnt.. i found iso 51200 under the above? more blockey and thus the resulting resize not as good as expected..

The eye focus was great even in those conditions. very impressive. but limited use for sport with multiple subjects in close proximity and me wanting to choose one player over another.. No problem revert to spot

however the deal breaker was (again in extreme conditions using a 400) it took too long to aquire a subject..it was hunting if the target was too far from the last target it focused on... the hunting was only a second but thats a lifetime in sports and would lose me the shots.. my 1dx and 1dxII aquired faster

Now I know r5 users are going to argue the points.. But have you really shot moving subjects in exactly the same obove conditions? No point telling me to shoot raw either... the point was to shoot the same as I am now wiht better results...

I can imagine all the advantages in other situations.. especialy the ability to crop in more under better conditions and I do use the camera on the floor a lot so the flip screen great and lots more advantages.... But thats not why I wanted one... it was for the above :(
Thanks for feeding back. I was interested to see how you would get on - nearly said so at the time, but have come back looking for your feedback as I am due to shoot under floodlights again (grass roots).

I have the 5D4 and the R5 (sadly no 1Dx). I only used the R5 once in daylight for football and decided I preferred the 5D4 for its focusing ability. There was a firmware update, which to my mind made a huge difference to the R5s focusing ability, although no-one else seemed to mention it, so perhaps it's just me? I haven't tried it out again on football since then. I expect your trial was with the latest firmware.

Having read your comments, I shall stick to the 5D4 this time. So, thanks again for your insight.

Edit: Just another thought occurred to me - did you check the lens firmware was up to date when you trialled the R5? I think I had to update some of my lenses.

Last edited:
Quick question: has anyone used a Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite flash with the R5/R6? (not the latest version, which is the MT26EX). If so, any issues.?

I’ve just ordered an R6 and I’m hoping that my twin light will work ok with the R6. I don’t see why not, but I’m not sure if anything changed wrt flash technology with the R series that would make it incompatible.

Thanks.

EDIT: it looks as though it is compatible. Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Quick question: has anyone used a Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite flash with the R5/R6? (not the latest version, which is the MT26EX). If so, any issues.?

I’ve just ordered an R6 and I’m hoping that my twin light will work ok with the R6. I don’t see why not, but I’m not sure if anything changed wrt flash technology with the R series that would make it incompatible.

Thanks.

EDIT: it looks as though it is compatible. Anyone tried it?
I’ve not got that one. Nothing changed for flash as far as I know.

I'm still getting used to the R5 but really enjoying it. (it does spook me when a setting has changed [accidently] and I have to figure what? how? !)

Out in the Peak District today and chanced across three beautiful stags. As quickly as I could I got the old 100-400 out and took some shots.

Now the caveat here is that I am NOT a wildlife photographer and these photographs are just to show the ISO rather than saying wow look at these! (Although they are magnificent creatures) I also remembered just how little reach you get on a 400 on FF!

Both have been cropped to c.50% of original size.

Handheld 1/1250 ISO800 - Quick edit on this one which was a crop and adjustment to shadows, highlights and contrast.

Stag I.jpg

Second one is Handheld at ISO4000 (I was testing out the real world quality at high ISO), again 1/1250. IT shows the grain but still very usable IMO

Stag II.jpg

Really nice shots of the stag
I’ve changed my settings by accident before as well and couldn’t remember how to get it back luckily I figured it out before I needed to take another shot
I’m sure as I get more confident with the camera I’ll be changing settings all the time (I’m using dual back button focus with one button on eye AF so it’s a bit complicated)
What I have done though is save the camera setup on one of the custom functions C2 so can quickly go to that if it happens again

Thanks Pete

One thing that frustrated me was that I was doing a long exposure and couldn’t for the life of me work out why it wouldn’t go beyon 0.5 seconds. Then I realised it was because I was on Electronic shutter! Quick change (saved this option in My Menu) and sorted!

I love the fact that there are so many little useful extras in the camera

- multiple exposure
- bulb timer
- intervalometer

No need for my wired remote !

Has anyone used the multiple focus settings? I meant to try it this weekend but forgot and ended up manually focusing/stacking!

I wonder if you kind folks could help with recommendations for a 3rd party battery that will work in my EOS R and also my Canon charger.
I'm hovering over Duracell's equivalent of the LP-E6N but thought I would ask before I purchase.
Cheers!

I have tried the focus stacking option works really well
It’s worth experimenting with the number of shots and the focus increments that you set
Plan to use it a lot when the insects are back

I bought a Neewer pair which work fine. Haven't used the third party charger, just the Canon one.

MPB have second hand LPe6NH in stock but you can buy two of the Duracell for £20 less and they are only 130mAh less?

I think these are worth a go at that price - they get good reviews on the Duracell direct website which also gives you 20% off if you buy two or more!

@CavGez do you have a link for the Neewer ones? I’ve found these on Amazon

do you have a link for the Neewer ones? I’ve found these on Amazon
Them's the ones, yes. They work well, the camera doesn't come with any warnings etc. Only bought 2 months ago though.
My thinking is Duracell spend more on advertising, marketing and rely on the brand, so wouldn't be as competitive....pure guesswork on my part but there you go.

Which camera are you using with?
Is the official one for your Camera the LPe6Nh one?

- bulb timer
- intervalometer
I use these two when needed, very convenient.
Has anyone used the multiple focus settings? I meant to try it this weekend but forgot and ended up manually focusing/stacking!
Haven't use yet but should be easier than MF :)

I wonder if you kind folks could help with recommendations for a 3rd party battery that will work in my EOS R and also my Canon charger.
I'm hovering over Duracell's equivalent of the LP-E6N but thought I would ask before I purchase.
Cheers!
LP-E6N, Neewer, I've used these in my 7DII for years with no issues.
No issues with using either their double charger, or the dedicated Canon one.

I did have a slight issue recently with their Canon LP-E12 for my M50 though, one had swollen slightly,
just enough so I couldn't slide it into the battery compartment without using force,
which of course I didn't, it just got recycled.

Finally got my Cashback from buying the R6 in the double cahsback deal at the end of November. Took a while but worth the wait. Just need to stop the urge to put the cashback towards buying the 14-35 f4 now!

You having issues?
Not so far, however there are a lot of reports of worse AF performance and freezes and I don't want to take the risk. V1.4 is good so I'll leave it there until Canon sort out the problems.

I’m on version 1.5 had no issues
at the moment am using eye tracking focus a lot and its even better than before picks up very fast
its not easy as far as I know to go back to a previous version, can be done but involves swapping memory cards during the process from what I’ve read , I would be very wary of doing this with an expensive camera
Good to know it's better. I can't take the risk given all the reports of AF jumping around and freezing so I've just done the rollback for two cameras using this method. It worked fine for both.

Good to know it's better. I can't take the risk given all the reports of AF jumping around and freezing so I've just done the rollback for two cameras using this method. It worked fine for both.
I guess it happens in some situations
I had a couple of times when the camera locked up before the update but it’s been fine since
I have heard about people having issues with this update though on the Fredmiranda American forum, I think it can cause problems with busy backgrounds as the eye AF is now more sensitive

I guess it happens in some situations
I had a couple of times when the camera locked up before the update but it’s been fine since
I have heard about people having issues with this update though on the Fredmiranda American forum, I think it can cause problems with busy backgrounds as the eye AF is now more sensitive
Right, next up is a team sports assignment and it will for sure be busy with faces which prompted the roll-back.

Back