Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Same way Fuji's FW update impressed you ;)

Every other brand has released 6 lenses in one year before it's not unique to canon. In fact Nikon actually released a 24-70/2.8 and canon will hasn't released any of these. They were just plastic models.

I imagine Nikon (possibly even Sony and Panasonic) will have as many lenses out this year as canon.
I like how you bought into their marketing, well done canon.

LOL. Compare what Sony had native for their system in this time frame. How long did it take them to release f2.8 zooms?

Same way Fuji's FW update impressed you ;)

Every other brand has released 6 lenses in one year before it's not unique to canon. In fact Nikon actually released a 24-70/2.8 and canon will hasn't released any of these. They were just plastic models.

I imagine Nikon (possibly even Sony and Panasonic) will have as many lenses out this year as canon.
I like how you bought into their marketing, well done canon.

I'm not so impressed, I think it's a bit neglectful of them to only have one budget lens in that line up. Most looking at the RP as a nice budget friendly FF option do not want to buy a lens that costs twice as much. Sure, they can use the adapter and older EF lenses, but c'mon, they deserve a couple of budget primes. I'm one of those, I could swing the body but it would leave me wanting on the lens front. The 35mm 1.8 macro takes my fancy, but it's £500! why? because it has 1:2 'macro'? make it 1:3 and £300, I don't see why a different mount makes such a lens that pricey

LOL. Compare what Sony had native for their system in this time frame. How long did it take them to release f2.8 zooms?
I think Sony where testing the waters to see if there e mount will explode. They was the first to innovate ff mirrorless. Much like tesla its only now they are making cars that normal average Joe could buy

Yea so I wouldn't rave about canon releasing loads of native lenses when infact they have not released none of these. Others work differently.

.... I think you are missing the point. The point is that Canon have announced their forthcoming intentions and this is of great interest to both those who already shoot with the EOS system or who are seriously thinking of buying into it, even including those who are thinking of returning to Canon EOS.

It is very much of interest to those who contribute something to this 'Canon EOS-R Series' thread.

So you only consider expensive f2.8 zooms as lenses. Other types of lenses are simply not lenses according to you. LOL

each manufacturer priorities their lens releases based on their research. Sony unlike canon probably felt people are not going to buy £2-3k lenses to put on £1+K body with crap AF performance and hit ratio. Canon obviously feels differently

Last edited:
I'm not so impressed, I think it's a bit neglectful of them to only have one budget lens in that line up. Most looking at the RP as a nice budget friendly FF option do not want to buy a lens that costs twice as much. Sure, they can use the adapter and older EF lenses, but c'mon, they deserve a couple of budget primes. I'm one of those, I could swing the body but it would leave me wanting on the lens front. The 35mm 1.8 macro takes my fancy, but it's £500! why? because it has 1:2 'macro'? make it 1:3 and £300, I don't see why a different mount makes such a lens that pricey

.... I think you have a valid point. Canon have quite clearly stated that the EOS-RP is a more budget-friendly body and yet there are no new RF lenses which are budget-friendly - At least, so far.

However, it could be argued that the RF 24-105mm is a relatively budget-friendly lens and it certainly is very good indeed for general purposes.

Having to add the EF Adapter to be able to mount cheaper or already owned EF lenses seems to me to contradict the purpose of going smaller with the EOS-RP. But people buying new cameras are much more affluent than they used to be.

So you only consider expensive f2.8 zooms as lenses. Other types of lenses are simply not lenses according to you. LOL

How each manufacturer priorities their lens releases Based on their research. Sony unlike canon probably felt people are not going to buy £1+K body to put a £2-3k lenses on them with crap AF performance and hit ratio. Canon obviously feels differently

sony was mocked for not having adequate glass as in fast zooms or primes. whether or not sony were dipping their toe or what doesn't hide the fact that people bought into the system and had to wait a long time for those lenses. dress it up how you like though.

my point was that as a photographer, the lens road map for Canon is an exciting one for me. And regarding budget options there you know, quite a lot of canon lenses that work seamlessly with the adapter. quite compelling.

sony was mocked for not having adequate glass as in fast zooms or primes. whether or not sony were dipping their toe or what doesn't hide the fact that people bought into the system and had to wait a long time for those lenses. dress it up how you like though.

my point was that as a photographer, the lens road map for Canon is an exciting one for me. And regarding budget options there you know, quite a lot of canon lenses that work seamlessly with the adapter. quite compelling.

So you are suggesting I buy EF lenses and not R lenses to put on new R body?
LOL that says it all.

People who complain about Sony still complain about Sony. What are they on now? Colour science or something? Tomorrow it'll be something else. Welcome to internet forums, not a accurate representation of what actually sells.

Though canon will probably sell boat load of bodies not sure about R lenses though. Sony on the other hand probably had to sell both to keep going in the market. Expensive F2.8 zooms don't sell to masses or all that exciting for lot of users. The canon R 70-200 is pretty exciting because if it's size.

Last edited:
LOL that says it all.

.... Your forum signature says "Focus on what you have, not what you don't" and is something I very much agree with. However, do you have an EOS-R body?

People who complain about Sony still complain about Sony. What are they on now? Colour science or something? Tomorrow it'll e be something else. Welcome to internet forums, not a accurate representation of what actually sells.

.... Most of us in this discussion aren't really interested in complaining about brands other than Canon.

And unless you are a salesman (or should I say salesperson), if you are a serious photographer (which you clearly are) why should you even care what actually sells.

Btw, I really like your night time photography and your strong sense of composition and colour (on Flickr).

Last edited:
.... I think you have a valid point. Canon have quite clearly stated that the EOS-RP is a more budget-friendly body and yet there are no new RF lenses which are budget-friendly - At least, so far.

However, it could be argued that the RF 24-105mm is a relatively budget-friendly lens and it certainly is very good indeed for general purposes.

Having to add the EF Adapter to be able to mount cheaper or already owned EF lenses seems to me to contradict the purpose of going smaller with the EOS-RP. But people buying new cameras are much more affluent than they used to be.

The 24-105 is fine, personally I'm not a fan of these do-all kit lenses though. I mostly prefer primes or a short 2.8 zoom, a macro and a cheap tele, that's my usual kind of set up. If I did go for the RP my options are very limited. It would have to be EF lenses for a while, which isn't terrible, but I could just get a 6DII and save £400 - which would buy a nice prime. I want ML though.

I think all of these manufacturers are guilty of putting out A-B-C pro lenses, someone needs to break this mould and get some decent low price primes into the mix, budget tele options too.

Are the likes of Sigma and Tamron working on lenses for these mounts? Sigma just put out a fantastic 56mm 1.4 for APSC and M43 for less than £400, it's also tiny for what it is. Chances of them doing something similar for the RF mount?

LOL that says it all.

People who complain about Sony still complain about Sony. What are they on now? Colour science or something? Tomorrow it'll be something else. Welcome to internet forums, not a accurate representation of what actually sells.

Though canon will probably sell boat load of bodies not sure about R lenses though. Sony on the other hand probably had to sell both to keep going in the market. Expensive F2.8 zooms don't sell to masses or all that exciting for lot of users. The canon R 70-200 is pretty exciting because if it's size.

im not suggesting you do anything. going back to my original point: im impressed with the lenses on the table and the roadmap. which seems to have rubbed you up the wrong way. Your Valentines evening not go to plan last night?? lol.

.... Your forum signature says "Focus on what you have, not what you don't" and is something I very much agree with. However, do you have an EOS-R body?

.... Most of us in this discussion aren't really interested in complaining about brands other than Canon.

And unless you are a salesman (or should I say salesperson), if you are a serious photographer why should you even care what actually sells.

I am also a serious gear head. I come here for that purpose.

I care if something sells because I'd like buy from a manufacturer that'll be in business for a while and support my equipment. Why do you think people don't buy Samsung NX bodies and lenses these days? You can take real photographs with them too ;)

im not suggesting you do anything. going back to my original point: im impressed with the lenses on the table and the roadmap. which seems to have rubbed you up the wrong way. Your Valentines evening not go to plan last night?? lol.
Haha yes lol. had a good ol' fight about taking out the trash but we weren't celebrating valentine's day either, both of us are sick and poorly :(

Hasn't rubbed me off, just saying I don't think it's impressive, just business as usual

Last edited:
I am also a serious gear head. I come here for that purpose.

I care if something sells because I'd like buy from a manufacturer that'll be in business for a while and support my equipment. Why do you think people don't buy Samsung NX bodies and lenses these days? You can take real photographs with them too ;)

.... I'm a GearSlut too :D But perhaps not as much as yourself as I don't feel any need to change from Canon.

I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding the futures of camera brands such as Canon, Nikon, and even Snowy (Ooops! a typo error - Sony).

Btw, in case you missed my earlier post's late edit :
Btw, I really like your night time photography and your strong sense of composition and colour (on Flickr).

Are the likes of Sigma and Tamron working on lenses for these mounts? Sigma just put out a fantastic 56mm 1.4 for APSC and M43 for less than £400, it's also tiny for what it is. Chances of them doing something similar for the RF mount?

.... I think it's highly likely and especially Sigma who have put out some reportedly (I don't use third-party lenses) excellent 'Art' lenses.

I'm sure that Sigma won't want to release any Canon RF mount lenses until they are absolutely confident in them, otherwise they will be damaging their whole brand and giving Tamron an advantage.

This post will probably get lost in here amongst the current EOS-RP and RF mount lenses discussion but yesterday after updating my EOS-R firmware I can confirm that Silent Shooting really is silent and more importantly to me, I can shoot bursts while silent - I have no idea at what frame rate though but fast enough for many cases. Obviously I am keeping my 14fps loud machine gun 1DX-2.

Are there any other newly released full frame cameras on the market with this spec that are cheaper? Its a budget price for the spec it offers.
Not concerned with the spec, only the price.

If I were paying that much for a body (and I've paid more) I'd expect a top display.
Not for me whatever the price.

Not concerned with the spec, only the price.

If I were paying that much for a body (and I've paid more) I'd expect a top display.
Not for me whatever the price.

.... Isn't what you have posted a contradiction?

Many people have complained about the EOS-R not having an old-school mode dial but personally I much prefer the top display because it additionally tells you what your camera settings currently are without having to delve into the depths or to look through the viewfinder. It really reduces those times when you forgot to change camera settings from your last shooting and consequently lose time changing them or not doing so to then find that 1/4000s was waaay too fast than needed and buggered your ISO setting quality.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I changed from M-mode. Oh yes, I changed temporarily to P-mode this week while updating the firmwares of my body and RF lens.

Last edited:
.... I'm a GearSlut too :D But perhaps not as much as yourself as I don't feel any need to change from Canon.

I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding the futures of camera brands such as Canon, Nikon, and even Snowy (Ooops! a typo error - Sony).

Btw, in case you missed my earlier post's late edit :
Thanks for the compliments :)

Not sure about Nikon tbh. Think canon and sony will be around. We are here discussing lenses that don't yet exist. The Nikon 24-70/2.8 actually exists and I barely see any talks or excitement about it :(

The 24-105 is fine, personally I'm not a fan of these do-all kit lenses though. I mostly prefer primes or a short 2.8 zoom, a macro and a cheap tele, that's my usual kind of set up. If I did go for the RP my options are very limited. It would have to be EF lenses for a while, which isn't terrible, but I could just get a 6DII and save £400 - which would buy a nice prime. I want ML though.

I think all of these manufacturers are guilty of putting out A-B-C pro lenses, someone needs to break this mould and get some decent low price primes into the mix, budget tele options too.

Keith,

While not the smallest, the existing Sigma Art primes in EF mounts might be an option for you if you went the EOS R route. I'm certainly looking at either the 35mm or the 50mm at present.

I have to say that I have zero problem purchasing EF lenses to use on my EOS R. In fact all of the lenses I have for my EOS R (16-35mm f4, 24-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4 and 400mm f5.6) are EF mount. They simply work flawlessly. The only difference is that the adaptor adds some length, which meant I had to rearrange the layout of one of my camera bags :LOL:

Simon.

Keith,
I have to say that I have zero problem purchasing EF lenses to use on my EOS R. In fact all of the lenses I have for my EOS R (16-35mm f4, 24-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4 and 400mm f5.6) are EF mount. They simply work flawlessly. The only difference is that the adaptor adds some length, which meant I had to rearrange the layout of one of my camera bags :LOL:

.... And Keith @Cagey75, if you buy the Control Ring Adapter for EF lenses you can program your EOS-R series body to put something very helpful to you on it. I have full control of my ISO via the Control Ring for example.

Quite frankly I don't care two flying figs whether a zoom lens is extending or not. Surely what is far more important is the image quality a lens has the potential to deliver and that it's tough physically. Every time I shoot with my EF 100-400mm F/4L II I don't think to myself "Sh*t, I wish this lens didn't extend".

There is another way to look at it, they did just bring out the EF 70-200 III a few months ago so you've got the choice of either...

Focusing may be better but actually trying to follow fast action using an electronic viewfinder I just can't get on with at all. It's a couple of years since I've tried so maybe things are better now but both times I've tried it I found it vastly inferior. I was very aware I was looking at a tiny screen rather than seeing everything through a prism.
Try out the Sony A9.

This post will probably get lost in here amongst the current EOS-RP and RF mount lenses discussion but yesterday after updating my EOS-R firmware I can confirm that Silent Shooting really is silent and more importantly to me, I can shoot bursts while silent - I have no idea at what frame rate though but fast enough for many cases. Obviously I am keeping my 14fps loud machine gun 1DX-2.
Silent shooting is great, I wouldn't considering a camera without it going forwards.

There is another way to look at it, they did just bring out the EF 70-200 III a few months ago so you've got the choice of either...

.... Except that in my particular case I have owned an EF 70-200mm 'mk1' and for wildlife I find the EF 100-400mm (mk2) much more useful. But I agree, people do have a nice choice. A future RF 100-400mm will be interesting but I don't expect one will be launched any time soon. RF telephoto primes might possibly be released first - RF 500mm?

Silent shooting is great, I wouldn't considering a camera without it going forwards.

.... Indeed Silent Shooting is great - I find it invaluable when photographing easily spooked wildlife but I would still buy a camera which doesn't have it, it's simply a bonus.

Today, there was a Cormorant perched high in an old tree in my 'BackYard' - I went for it with my EOS-R + EF 500mm + Extender on a tripod and it was still set on Silent. I quickly found that I preferred to hear my shutter and so switched back but it's great to have the option. Riz, I know you appreciate hearing what's going on under a bonnet - Just one reminder: fast cars!

This is the main reason that stops me looking at the Canon straight away. I'm sure the next models with have a much faster FPS though!

.... Indeed Silent Shooting is great - I find it invaluable when photographing easily spooked wildlife but I would still buy a camera which doesn't have it, it's simply a bonus.

Today, there was a Cormorant perched high in an old tree in my 'BackYard' - I went for it with my EOS-R + EF 500mm + Extender on a tripod and it was still set on Silent. I quickly found that I preferred to hear my shutter and so switched back but it's great to have the option. Riz, I know you appreciate hearing what's going on under a bonnet - Just one reminder: fast cars!

I sure do... currently rolling about in a Golf R :D

Canon will have been quietly developing all these new RF lenses quietly behind the scenes. They are making a mockery of all those photographers who were so negatively critical about them in the mirrorless 'race'. Like they announced, the key to their progress was designing and building a new mount. The RF Rocks!
And indeed they have form in this department. ;)
You’ll find many detractors slag them off for waiting, but again, they didn’t grow that success by being first to market, they grew by doing it best.

YOU complain about Canon! :oops: :$ :eek: Who'd have thunk it! :LOL:

.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: More a case of me pointing out Canon's shortcomings from my personal point of view (their poorly angled AF-ON back button on the R and their awkward on/off switch on the 1DX-2 for example). I don't criticise the other brands because I have no experience of them (apart from once owning a series of Nikon SLR F bodies and Nikkor lenses. I don't like the physical feel of cameras like the Sony but I don't disrespect their efforts - I don't like the physical feel of the EOS M5 as it's simply too small for my preferences.

Yeah, I am a bit of a Canon fanboy but there's no such thing as a perfect camera, as we all know only too well. I do applaud Canon's efforts.

Last edited:
Has anyone got the Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip for the R please?

I want to know its dimensions to see if the R + grip will fit a Lowepro holster bag when a 100mm Macro lens is also mounted (or the RF 24-105mm mounted). Neither Canon UK nor various retailers give the size dimensions.

Has anyone got the Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip for the R please?

I want to know its dimensions to see if the R + grip will fit a Lowepro holster bag when a 100mm Macro lens is also mounted (or the RF 24-105mm mounted). Neither Canon UK nor various retailers give the size dimensions.

Yep, I’ve got the grip attached to mine.
Which dimensions are you after?

Edit: Here’s a few to start. Let me know if you want any others.

Length (with the 100mm Macro IS attached) from lens cap to the end of the EVF rubber measures 220mm.

Height: from hotshoe to the bottom of grip measures 150mm.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the grip for the RP is included? this is BS though right? doesn't appear to be inc.

.... That slim grip is just a grip and not a battery grip.

Yep, I’ve got the grip attached to mine.
Which dimensions are you after?

Edit: Here’s a few to start. Let me know if you want any others.

Length (with the 100mm Macro IS attached) from lens cap to the end of the EVF rubber measures 220mm.

Height: from hotshoe to the bottom of grip measures 150mm.

.... Many thanks James.

The overall height of 150mm is the dimension I need to check my bag fit. That R battery grip is a fat boy! I had a battery grip on my 7D2 quite often and so I know their advantages and they are removable anyway so I think I'll go for one.

Last edited:
.... Many thanks James.

The overall height of 150mm is the dimension I need to check my bag fit. That R battery grip is a fat boy! I had a battery grip on my 7D2 quite often and so I know their advantages and they are removable anyway so I think I'll go for one.

No worries. Glad I could help.

.... That slim grip is just a grip and not a battery grip.

I do realise this, but is it included? would be nice of them to do so, being budget orientated an' all. Please don't tell me that is another €200 or so, because I fancy the red one :D

Back