Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Plenty of vloggers haven't even touched the cameras they're pronouncing on. With new models, if you have not attended an official launch event - and obviously that cannot include more than the main media players - then you won't get to even see the thing before it arrives at retail. Even if you do attend a launch, and I've been to more than I can remember over the years, there is rarely more than a handful of cameras at best to be shared among several dozen people over the space of a couple of hours after the main presentation. A good reviewer can form a view from that and make some judgements from the spec and the experience of a few years in the job, but in no way is it a proper test. Some things are easy, like the price of the EOS-RP requires no testing at all, and from the spec sheet one or two card slots doesn't need any further investigation, but things like AF performance in different situations and sensor dynamic range take a lot of time and proper setting up.

I don't see any contradiction in Tony Northrop voting the OMD em MkII as a good travel camera, while also casting doubt over the future of M4/3. They're completely different things.

Edit: with so many writers and vloggers now being self-employed, attending a press launch event can be expensive - the manufacturer will not pay for travel or time etc. That's enough to put off a fair number of second division commentators. For overseas events, they'll usually pay both airfares and hotel but those are rare - UK launches are almost always in London.

I know many of these vloggers are being over dramatic without even having hands on with the RP, but their hundreds of thousands of subs between them often just go along with what they say and will avoid gear that is being hammered. And they are being hammered for the reasons I already said. I just don't get it. Any camera upcoming that doesn't have 4K or a dozen 1080p options, 120fps slow motion seems to be another one they moan about, should expect the same bad press. And for us photographers this is an issue. I can't trust ratings now, not when 'cons' are based on things I never use. Not having a flip screen is now a con too

Last edited:
One vlogger whose style irritated me at first but now I respect and think is pretty honest (well, honest but he ain't pretty, even with that hair!) is Jared Polin.

Here he compares the RAW files between the EOS-R vs EOS-RP vs 6D-2 in the real world and without getting over technical. I think this might help anyone considering which of these three cameras to buy, obviously subject to their budget and individual needs :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=611&v=SCDUqmHs2eI

Having never used a mirrorless "proper camera" I can't comment on how good or bad each one is, but some of the reviews I've seen on the RP, seem to forget that it's an affordable (a bit subjective I know), budget, entry level ff mirrorless camera. Much like the 6d was, it's aimed at the entry to the ff market. It's not going to have all of the bells and whistles of the higher end camera's. It's not comparable to the a7ii, iii camera's, because it's not after the same market.

Edit: ok it is comparable, but not fairly :)

Last edited:
Having never used a mirrorless "proper camera" I can't comment on how good or bad each one is, but some of the reviews I've seen on the RP, seem to forget that it's an affordable (a bit subjective I know), budget, entry level ff mirrorless camera. Much like the 6d was, it's aimed at the entry to the ff market. It's not going to have all of the bells and whistles of the higher end camera's. It's not comparable to the a7ii, iii camera's, because it's not after the same market.

Edit: ok it is comparable, but not fairly :)

.... And that's exactly what system cameras are all about - One manufacturer offering a wide range of camera bodies (and lenses) for the individual photographer to choose from. Furthermore, competition between the manufacturing brands favours us the consumers. I know it's a favourite expression of mine but it's choosing 'Horses-for-Courses' and there is no such thing as the perfect camera.

Last edited:
It's the pro model of the system I'm itching to see, even though I'm not ready to buy into it yet. When I do invest its a choice between a couple of 5d4 bodies and ??? I would love to see the specs just so I can sit and drool, it'll also give them time to drop from their introduction price to a more real world one.

One vlogger whose style irritated me at first but now I respect and think is pretty honest (well, honest but he ain't pretty, even with that hair!) is Jared Polin.

Here he compares the RAW files between the EOS-R vs EOS-RP vs 6D-2 in the real world and without getting over technical. I think this might help anyone considering which of these three cameras to buy, obviously subject to their budget and individual needs :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=611&v=SCDUqmHs2eI

Cannot stomach him, I actually went the opposite, used to watch all his earlier vids, even joined the crap forum he had for a while about 7-8 years back (2 of my images made his potw vids, they're still out there!) But he began to show more and more signs of being a shill gear head than respectable photographer, and he only got worse the more subs he accumulated. But . . . I did watch this out if curiosity, and I see very little between the sensors even when pushed. Who the heck is ever going to want to shoot 5 stops above or below the exposure desired? He says it pretty much, if you're doing that maybe photography isn't for you anyway

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here....

Do I head down the ML route or Do I invest in glass.....

I am so tempted by the R, and now the RP is being launched that fuddles the water a bit more indeed.

the advantage going to the R series, is that I want have to reinvest in lenses, just the adapter. I have some L glass FE lenses the 70-200mm 2.8 (sadly no is) the 100-400mm, the 24-70mm f4, the rest of my lenses, are Sigma 35mm Art, 50mm, 105 and a Tamron 150-600mm

About the only Lenses, I'd like to get is the 24-70mm 2.8 L, or perhaps the Sigma Art version (IS is handy at times)

So the actual questions for me, is do all these lenses work with the R, or would I find my beloved Sigma 35mm Art lens being made redundant unless I'm using my 7dmk2 or 5Ds?

I am so tempted by the R, and now the RP is being launched that fuddles the water a bit more indeed.

the advantage going to the R series, is that I want have to reinvest in lenses, just the adapter. I have some L glass FE lenses the 70-200mm 2.8 (sadly no is) the 100-400mm, the 24-70mm f4, the rest of my lenses, are Sigma 35mm Art, 50mm, 105 and a Tamron 150-600mm

About the only Lenses, I'd like to get is the 24-70mm 2.8 L, or perhaps the Sigma Art version (IS is handy at times)

So the actual questions for me, is do all these lenses work with the R, or would I find my beloved Sigma 35mm Art lens being made redundant unless I'm using my 7dmk2 or 5Ds?

From what I've seen EF lenses work just as good as native with the EOS-RF adapter, and you get this with the body.

.... The 5Ds is in a different league of image quality according to those friends who have one BUT not without limitations and you need a powerful computer if you shoot RAW.

I am not alone either here or elsewhere in assuring you that the EOS-R (I can't speak for the EOS-RP) works faultlessly with all the EF lenses - I advise getting a Control Ring Adapter for extra programmability of your EF glass. All my lenses are L glass and I regularly shoot an EF 500mm F/4L II + 2x III on my EOS-R and 1DX-2 but prefer the EOS-R when in a hide.

It's the pro model of the system I'm itching to see, even though I'm not ready to buy into it yet. When I do invest its a choice between a couple of 5d4 bodies and ??? I would love to see the specs just so I can sit and drool, it'll also give them time to drop from their introduction price to a more real world one.

.... One one hand I too am itching to see some pro model R specs but on the other hand I know that it's going to result in me spending more of my money! I would swop it for my 1DX-2 and keep my EOS-R because I need two bodies for lots of reasons.

Mirrorless really does have some valuable advantages and will get even better I reckon. No such thing as a perfect camera, eh?

So it is fair to describe the EOS R as a mirror-less 5D Mark 4?.... albeit maybe not from an AF perspective?

.... As an ex 5D-4 owner who now has an EOS-R, I would say yes regarding image quality. Obviously they are not exactly the same but near enough and I think that the 5D-4 is certainly the nearest equivalent.

.... As an ex 5D-4 owner who now has an EOS-R, I would say yes regarding image quality. Obviously they are not exactly the same but near enough and I think that the 5D-4 is certainly the nearest equivalent.

Thanks, I'm looking at where I'm going to dip back in and EOS R / 24-105 package is quite tempting if I want to stay with full frame - always quite liked the output of the 5DIV so if the sensor, etc is similar that would be a win!

Thanks, I'm looking at where I'm going to dip back in and EOS R / 24-105 package is quite tempting if I want to stay with full frame - always quite liked the output of the 5DIV so if the sensor, etc is similar that would be a win!

.... I bought the RF 24-105mm package with my EOS-R and find it an excellent allrounder lens. Others speak very well of this lens too, in fact others are enthusiastic about all the RF lenses released so far.

I'm trying to think of features which you might prefer which the 5D-4 has. If you Back Button Focus, the AF-ON button is more awkward on the EOS-R being at a slight angle but it suddenly gets improved when a battery grip is fitted because the ball of your thumb (aka mound of Venus) then can offer better physical support. If you are a fan of the joystick, the EOS-R doesn't have one. The EOS-R only has one card slot but that doesn't bother me personally - Even on my 1DX-2 I only load the CFast slot because it writes to it faster without the CF card loaded. Using SDXC UHS-II cards in the EOS-R as recommended by Canon really does make a write speed difference.

I haven't done any scientific tests (they're not my thing) but the noise performance feels better on the EOS-R. Scientifically this may not be so but the images just look slightly 'cleaner' to me, not that the 5D-4 images don't look clean.

The 5D-4 is supposed to be a tougher build but I have used my EOS-R in the snow in the Balkan mountains without any issues. A close friend of mine had a £700 repair bill because rain got into his 5D-4, so go figure!

What kind of photography you do will determine which body you prefer. For example, I really like and do use the Vario-angle screen. The EVF does not feel as 'direct' as a D-SLR viewfinder but the EOS-R EVF is superb and possibly the best there is currently. Poor EVFs is what stopped me wanting mirrorless previously.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

HTH

If your wanting a pro model like the 1Dx series you might be in for a longer wait as rumours suggest Canon are sticking with the DSLR format for the 1Dx Mark 4. :) My guess is that it’ll be out before the big Olympics. :)

Cannot stomach him, I actually went the opposite, used to watch all his earlier vids, even joined the crap forum he had for a while about 7-8 years back (2 of my images made his potw vids, they're still out there!) But he began to show more and more signs of being a shill gear head than respectable photographer, and he only got worse the more subs he accumulated. But . . . I did watch this out if curiosity, and I see very little between the sensors even when pushed. Who the heck is ever going to want to shoot 5 stops above or below the exposure desired? He says it pretty much, if you're doing that maybe photography isn't for you anyway

Gear review is part of his business model hence he is always invited to early gear release or launch (unless he is not invited). I like his comparison video though, fair and square.

https://panamoz.com/canon-eos-r-24105-mirrorles-lens-kit.html The price came down pretty good on EOS-R, but until Canon comes out with Pro body I wouldn't be bothered to consider one. As for now if I were to go ML, Sony would be my first choice unfortunately.

Gear review is part of his business model hence he is always invited to early gear release or launch (unless he is not invited). I like his comparison video though, fair and square.

Millions of people love Pewdie Pie too .... Polin gets invited because he has the numbers yes, not because of his knowledge. The man still sniffs gear FFS :D

.... The 5Ds is in a different league of image quality according to those friends who have one BUT not without limitations and you need a powerful computer if you shoot RAW.
You do not need powerful computer to shoot raw. It only takes a little more time to load :)

.... I was meaning that, as I'm told by two independent 5D (SR/RS versions 5D) shooters, you need a computer with lots of processing power for editing RAW and also major storage because the RAW files are so large. But was @Ellie Jones referring to a different 5D version when she wrote "5Ds"?

Last edited:
Millions of people love Pewdie Pie too .... Polin gets invited because he has the numbers yes, not because of his knowledge. The man still sniffs gear FFS :D

.... Is that as in 'Charlie Cocaine'? He sticks Canon gear up his nose? :D

Surely you would agree that his EOS-R vs EOS-RP vs 6D-2 comparison video I posted #682, as @robinsslee says is "fair and square"?

.... Is that as in 'Charlie Cocaine'? He sticks Canon gear up his nose? :D

Surely you would agree that his EOS-R vs EOS-RP vs 6D-2 comparison video I posted #682, as @robinsslee says is "fair and square"?

Yeah I said as much earlier, though he did use a blatant click bait title, he does show that there is not the major difference between these sensors as many are moaning about. Maybe I just dislike the guy himself, not so much what he does.

I find it really strange that the RP is getting so much hate tbh, it gave M43 a break from the slating for a while at least :D but a lot of the complaints are ridiculous [just as they are re: M43] Mostly rants about the video side, for a camera which seems to me to be squarely aimed at the photographer.

If your wanting a pro model like the 1Dx series you might be in for a longer wait as rumours suggest Canon are sticking with the DSLR format for the 1Dx Mark 4. :) My guess is that it’ll be out before the big Olympics. :)

.... It is currently rumoured that Canon are testing a 1DX-3 and that certainly would be good marketing to launch it in time for the big Olympics. But a new 1DX D-SLR version doesn't mean that a pro spec EOS-mirrorless equivalent would replace it. I think it highly likely that the development of a 1DX-3 (not Mark 4 as you wrote) would have already be going on at Canon while the EOS-mirrorless bodies are being developed.

Personally I don't think that Canon will cease production of their 1DX series until mirrorless is so established that 1DX sales nose dive and that is some way off. Also 1DX users are mostly (not all) professionals. It took a long time, years, for Canon to catch up with and overtake Nikon as the market leader among professionals.

I also think that Canon would be wise to offer a pro spec EOS-mirrorless sooner rather than later, say by the end of 2020 latest, in order to start to establish themselves in that section of the market and compete more strongly with Sony and Nikon and the others. Whichever brand is in the lead now needs to keep an eye out for Canon in their rear driving mirror, if they have one!

.... I was meaning that, as I'm told by two independent 5D (SR/RS versions 5D) shooters, you need a computer with lots of processing power for editing RAW and also major storage because the RAW files are so large. But was @Ellie Jones referring to a different 5D version when she wrote "5Ds"?

Yes but I still use 5Ds R for normal, landscape and wildlife my workflow hasn't changed just loading/copying time takes a little longer... storage is cheap nowadays I am still yet to fill up my 2TB NAS. Actually I need to check the capacity left soon :p

Yep I do have the 5Ds. I shoot raw at max quality I would say, uploading/copying doens't take that much longer (Imac 2017 desktop) Storage space, well storage is cheap now, so not the issue it used to be. Files can get scary big if you do a lot of editing in photoshop. The only thing that lets it down for wildlife/sports photography is the slow FPS, at 8 I think it has, slower than the 7dmk2, but manageable, and if you're cropping heavily which often happens with wildlife, then you don't suffer from pin sharp hitting soft focus as with a smaller file.

Part of the hesitation is purely the cost, and is the blurb I've read any where near the truth in reality. Video doesn't worry me one single bit, the only time I've used it on any of my camera has been because I've accidentally caught the switch.. As it would be a second to my 5Ds, but still want it to give very similar performance or better. Just a little lighter

I do have some spare kit, lenses where I've upgraded to off set the cost but...

It's going to have to be a play at the Photography show...

.... I bought the RF 24-105mm package with my EOS-R and find it an excellent allrounder lens. Others speak very well of this lens too, in fact others are enthusiastic about all the RF lenses released so far.

I'm trying to think of features which you might prefer which the 5D-4 has. If you Back Button Focus, the AF-ON button is more awkward on the EOS-R being at a slight angle but it suddenly gets improved when a battery grip is fitted because the ball of your thumb (aka mound of Venus) then can offer better physical support. If you are a fan of the joystick, the EOS-R doesn't have one. The EOS-R only has one card slot but that doesn't bother me personally - Even on my 1DX-2 I only load the CFast slot because it writes to it faster without the CF card loaded. Using SDXC UHS-II cards in the EOS-R as recommended by Canon really does make a write speed difference.

I haven't done any scientific tests (they're not my thing) but the noise performance feels better on the EOS-R. Scientifically this may not be so but the images just look slightly 'cleaner' to me, not that the 5D-4 images don't look clean.

The 5D-4 is supposed to be a tougher build but I have used my EOS-R in the snow in the Balkan mountains without any issues. A close friend of mine had a £700 repair bill because rain got into his 5D-4, so go figure!

What kind of photography you do will determine which body you prefer. For example, I really like and do use the Vario-angle screen. The EVF does not feel as 'direct' as a D-SLR viewfinder but the EOS-R EVF is superb and possibly the best there is currently. Poor EVFs is what stopped me wanting mirrorless previously.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

HTH

Thank you that’s a good summation! I'm quite tempted as I've never had a Canon and currently (aside from an old 24mm D) I don't have any glass/kit for any system so I'm able to look at all the options as I plan my dip back into camera ownership.

As much as I've enjoyed the 42mp Sony's I think that my ideal is more like 36mp but I'm sure the 30MP would be fine as I've seen man cracking and detailed shots from the 5DIV.

I also have always liked the colour output of the Canon Full-frame bodies.

I'm really looking for good image quality, decent AF in low light, although it doesn't really need to be fast, I mainly shoot landscapes and travel stuff and I'm leaning toward a smaller body again as its easy to stick in a bag, I'm also very tempted by the 24-105 lens as I always was a little envious of the EF mount version and its always looked a great option for travel.

Also the cheap, wide range of used EF glass is a bonus, as I'd like to pickup a few things like a 70-200 f4 and maybe a 35mm, in EF mount that needn't cost more than about £500-£600.

https://panamoz.com/canon-eos-r-24105-mirrorles-lens-kit.html The price came down pretty good on EOS-R, but until Canon comes out with Pro body I wouldn't be bothered to consider one. As for now if I were to go ML, Sony would be my first choice unfortunately.

Yeah the price is pretty good on Panamoz, thats certainly where I'd be looking at buying from.

I've just read that silent mode is on the mode dial on the RP model - so you can't select it when in manual. That seems a bit pointless?!

Yeah the price is pretty good on Panamoz, thats certainly where I'd be looking at buying from.

.... Panamoz have a good reputation but I would also check out HDEW as they have physical premises in the UK. Even if something is not on their website they are often able to get it for you so it's worth asking 0208 669 5668, Sean is a good contact there.

I've just read that silent mode is on the mode dial on the RP model - so you can't select it when in manual. That seems a bit pointless?!

.... That seems very counter productive! I wonder if it is possible to customise one of the buttons to operate Silent Shutter. Or, whether you could have Manual-mode on C1 (or C2 or C3) together with Silent Shutter enabled?

I don't shoot any video and so the red video button on my EOS-R would be perfect for me to toggle Silent Shutter. I think I better check it out...

.... That seems very counter productive! I wonder if it is possible to customise one of the buttons to operate Silent Shutter. Or, whether you could have Manual-mode on C1 (or C2 or C3) together with Silent Shutter enabled?

I don't shoot any video and so the red video button on my EOS-R would be perfect for me to toggle Silent Shutter. I think I better check it out...
Seems quite bonkers to me. Here is the article https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/canon-eos-rp-review - the paragraph below the image of the old cameras. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

So my EOS-R has arrived and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an L bracket? The bracket will only be used once in a while so i don't need anything industrial but it still needs to be up to the job.

I've been looking at this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KPBPNPG

Cheers

The best L-brackets can be left permanently fitted and give full access to battery, connection ports etc. For comfort, the most important feature is a smoothly rounded corner that doesn't jab into your left palm.

The best L-brackets can be left permanently fitted and give full access to battery, connection ports etc. For comfort, the most important feature is a smoothly rounded corner that doesn't jab into your left palm.

.... Exactly that. However, they do add extra weight and bulk so it becomes a personal preference how long you keep one fitted.

Some are in two parts so that you can remove the side L-section. I use RRS (on my 1DX-2) but they are fearfully mega expensive! I sometimes slide my L-section partly out (it's designed to optionally lock that way) and use it as a lefthand side grip. RRS are the best in my opinion:

https://www.photospecialist.co.uk/r...fEuygZQ_O_8vfQRkjNCJVPq-t35-nBygaAqFbEALw_wcB

Also Sunway are reported to be good and far cheaper. And Kirk are a reliable brand too. Personally* I would avoid those cheap-as-chips ones on eBay and Amazon etc - You can't tell what grade of metal they are made from until they break!

*Have you noticed that I am expert at spending other people's money as well as my own!

Ken Rockwell really loves the RP, he hasn't got one bad thing to say about it. In fact he's hailing it as the 'world's best mirrorless camera'!

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm

Haven't read anything from him in years so I don't know if he's always just mega-positive or what, but he was always known in the past as being a mega Nikon fanboy

Thanks @RedRobin , i'll have a look at those suggested. Like you touched upon i don't need it on all the time because the body will either be gripped or slimmed down to the minimum. Only using the L bracket for the odd trek up a hill :)

Ken Rockwell really loves the RP, he hasn't got one bad thing to say about it. In fact he's hailing it as the 'world's best mirrorless camera'!

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm

Haven't read anything from him in years so I don't know if he's always just mega-positive or what, but he was always known in the past as being a mega Nikon fanboy

When he starts with "The Canon EOS RP is revolutionary because it's the world's least expensive full-frame mirrorless camera by a huge margin, and it's also the newest and the best regardless of price for what we shoot on mirrorless." it's hard to take him seriously because quite obviously it isn't the cheapest with both the A7 and A7II being several hundred quid cheaper. Yes, you could argue that the A7/A7II are old tech but equally you could argue that the RP is getting a bit too close price wise to the arguably much superior A7III.

Typical Ken mix of useful info and advice mixed with liberal helpings of hyperbole.

Thanks @RedRobin , i'll have a look at those suggested. Like you touched upon i don't need it on all the time because the body will either be gripped or slimmed down to the minimum. Only using the L bracket for the odd trek up a hill :)

I use this one with my EOS R

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/3-legged-thing-qr11-lc-l-bracket-1631380/

You can’t change the battery with it attached, but for occasional use (as I tend to use it), I’ve found it to be just fine. Won’t break the bank either.

Cheers,

Simon.

When he starts with "The Canon EOS RP is revolutionary because it's the world's least expensive full-frame mirrorless camera by a huge margin, and it's also the newest and the best regardless of price for what we shoot on mirrorless." it's hard to take him seriously because quite obviously it isn't the cheapest with both the A7 and A7II being several hundred quid cheaper. Yes, you could argue that the A7/A7II are old tech but equally you could argue that the RP is getting a bit too close price wise to the arguably much superior A7III.

Typical Ken mix of useful info and advice mixed with liberal helpings of hyperbole.

He does mention the A7, he says the RP is the best 'modern' ML camera right now in there somewhere, on the phone now so can't grab the quotes. But yes, of course pinch of salt and all that to be expected. It's just nice to see some positivity among all the way over the top rant reviews about the camera.

I'd have been happier if he'd said that it's the best mirrorless camera if you want to use Canon lenses or it's the best choice if you value a fully articulated screen or even if he'd said it's the best of the recent crop.

Maybe I'm just in pedantic mode this morning but starting out with that bit about the cost irritated me as it's just blatantly not true. It isn't the cheapest FF mirrorless, it's more expensive than a couple of cameras that could well suit many people and uses and by quite a lot of money. I'll have another cup of tea...

Back