Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I do realise this, but is it included? would be nice of them to do so, being budget orientated an' all. Please don't tell me that is another €200 or so, because I fancy the red one :D

Looking at the RP on Wex, it looks like it isn’t included unfortunately Keith. They’re listing it as an £84 accessory for the camera.

Simon.

I cannot believe I bought a Canon EF 300mm 2.8 L mk2 just as the mount becomes obsolete.
Anyone got any example pictures using a long (ish) canon prime on an R body?

Does the spacer affect the image quality?

I cannot believe I bought a Canon EF 300mm 2.8 L mk2 just as the mount becomes obsolete.

Tony,

I currently use the following EF mount lenses on my EOS R with the mount adapter / spacer: -

16-35mm f4 L
24-70mm f4 L
70-200mm f4 L
400mm f5.6 L

In my experience there is zero loss in quality, speed or functionality in using these on the EOS R. Robin uses other lenses (up to 500mm f4 L with extenders), and I'm pretty sure he sees no problems either.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

.... When you say "spacer" I assume you mean Adapter and the answer is an emphatic no, it does not affect image quality at all, not even when a Canon 2x III Extender is also added. Check out my Flickr albums for evidence when shooting a EF 500mm F/4L II prime on my EOS-R body :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054/with/33117717358/

Plus I have lots of images shot on the EOS-R + 500mm which I haven't updated Flickr with yet. I always shoot on a tripod when using my 500mm and that will of course make a difference.

As you know, the EF 300mm F/2.8L II is a superb lens and takes the Canon Extenders very well but they must be version III.

Last edited:
.... When you say "spacer" I assume you mean Adapter and the answer is an emphatic no, it does not affect image quality at all, not even when a Canon 2x III Extender is also added. Check out my Flickr albums for evidence when shooting a EF 500mm F/4L II prime on my EOS-R body :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054/with/33117717358/

Plus I have lots of images shot on the EOS-R + 500mm which I haven't updated Flickr with yet. I always shoot on a tripod when using my 500mm and that will of course make a difference.

As you know, the EF 300mm F/2.8L II is a superb lens and takes the Canon Extenders very well but they must be version III.
Yes, I have the 1.4 v3 and if there is image degradation, it's barely noticeable.

Tony,

I currently use the following EF mount lenses on my EOS R with the mount adapter / spacer: -

16-35mm f4 L
24-70mm f4 L
70-200mm f4 L
400mm f5.6 L

In my experience there is zero loss in quality, speed or functionality in using these on the EOS R. Robin uses other lenses (up to 500mm f4 L with extenders), and I'm pretty sure he sees no problems either.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

So at worst it seems like only my 5D4 is destined for trade in.

@ Red Robin.
I briefly looked at you flicker pictures but I can see where it says what lens you use.
Do I have to click on the images?

@ Red Robin.
I briefly looked at you flicker pictures but I can see where it says what lens you use.
Do I have to click on the images?

.... Yes, to see my lens used and also my camera settings, just click on an image and it will open at large size.

Mounting an Extender on either a D-SLR or EF Adapter'd R will slightly slow down AF and AI-SERVO but it's very minimal. Shooting on a tripod with IS switched off or Mode-3 (which only actions IS at the exact moment of shutter release) will result in compensating slowdown. It helps this technique if you use Back Button Focus so that your shutter button ONLY actions metering plus release and not any focussing at all.

HTH

Gotta love those starlings when the light hits them right.

Gotta love those starlings when the light hits them right.

.... One of the most satisfying British birds to photograph.

In the exact science of hindsight I don't know why I shot at F/13 because with the mounted 2x I could have got down to F/8 and reduced the high ISO from 8000. I think perhaps that the Starling opportunity happened too quickly and I didn't think fast enough to change aperture. Either that or I wanted good focus depth of field.

Btw, I have applied noise reduction to the background in post-processing.

COLOURFUL STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I used to think Starlings were right pests because they arrived in packs like mini vultures and would chase off smaller birds. But watching them over time they can be fun, they all have their own individual character, though still part of an aggressive pack. We get tonnes of them here.

I used to think Starlings were right pests because they arrived in packs like mini vultures and would chase off smaller birds. But watching them over time they can be fun, they all have their own individual character, though still part of an aggressive pack. We get tonnes of them here.

.... Survival is tough for all wildlife species out there - Nature is red in tooth and claw.

Even those species that many people think cute and cuddly are monsters in the eyes of their prey.

The magnificent Sparrowhawk will take a Starling for example.

.... Survival is tough for all wildlife species out there - Nature is red in tooth and claw.

Even those species that many people think cute and cuddly are monsters in the eyes of their prey.

The magnificent Sparrowhawk will take a Starling for example.

As will Rooks, had great entertainment one day watching first the starlings chase off a Robin and some finches around a seed cake I left on the garden table, then a couple of regular collar doves were toe to toe with the starlings until a massive Rook swooped down and just took the whole cake :ROFLMAO:

I felt all that was missing was David Attenborough voice over

I would love to have a Sparrow Hawk visit, beautiful creature

Last edited:
Sparrowhawks will go for anything between the size of a Sparrow and a Wood Pigeon - I have witnessed them kill both in my garden.

It's more than extremely difficult to predict when one will swoop in and also for you to be ready with a camera - You need Lady Luck by your side.

Hopefully they can regain their market share by taking this approach. :)

Might help if you gave the real picture:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tail-shift-away-from-gadgets-in-mid-term-plan

"This graph (https://www.insideimaging.com.au/2019/sony-now-the-market-leader/ ) is looking at Sony’s Image Products and Solutions segment which includes cameras, lenses, video products and software. This should be compared to Canon’s ‘Imaging Division’ results which has a Sales result of 1,008,165 Million Yen (Profit of 116,995 MilYen) compared to Sony 670 Million (Profit of 78MilYen)."

See the whole graph (not the selectively cropped graph your source presents) on page 10 of:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_sonypre.pdf

Canon’s results for imaging is on page 9 and 12 of:

https://global.canon/en/ir/results/2018/rslt2018e.pdf

;)

Last edited:
Lies, damn lies, and statistics (and idiot vloggers) :rolleyes:

It is easy to put out very misleading data, eg for sales in just one country, over a short period when one brand has a new model being promoted and others don't. Sony has been guilty of that recently, no doubt others too.

But in the rapidly changing market we have now, we'll not get anything like a true picture until the end of this year when all the major players have had a decent period of time with a full range of new products actually at retail. But given the huge lead Canon has, the only thing that could possibly stop them staying at number one would be the complete shut-down of all their factories, no matter how far Sony drops their prices (according to latest news).

Edit: as a side note, the cameras that have done most to change markets over time have had one major feature - low price. Canon have form here, going back to the ground breaking AE-1 and A1 SLRs in the 70's, the 300D and 350D in the early days of digital. It looks like Canon are playing the same game again now with the EOS-RP which will surely drop to $999/£999 pretty soon.

Last edited:
I only got 90 seconds in before I could take no more of his annoying delivery and ‘just got out of bed’ look. He may have had perfectly justified comments to make but I will never know. I don’t think I’m missing out on anything though.
It's very tongue in cheek

He's become a parody of himself, he set out on a humorous quest for 'the perfect camera' - he's a vlogger, he doesn't care about the photography side of things and that's clear, but lately it seems he's just moaning for the sake of it, because that is all he has become known for. The more his channel grows - the more whiney he gets sadly. I thought he was much more witty when he only had a handful of subs.

I've read quite a few reviews now and I'm getting so fed up of hearing all the Sony comments.... anyway back to the EOS R... can someone tell me - is it possible to use it in Manual mode with auto ISO and still use exposure compensation, as I can on my 5Div please? Perhaps @RedRobin ?

Edit : Just found this in the manual - interesting - so it does appear to adjust the shutter speed as well as the ISO.

With ISO Auto set and [81: Exposure level increments] set to [1/2- stop], any 1/2-stop exposure compensation will be implemented withthe ISO speed (1/3 stop) and shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change.

Last edited:
I've read quite a few reviews now and I'm getting so fed up of hearing all the Sony comments.... anyway back to the EOS R... can someone tell me - is it possible to use it in Manual mode with auto ISO and still use exposure compensation, as I can on my 5Div please? Perhaps @RedRobin ?

Very good question

Edit : Just found this in the manual - interesting - so it does appear to adjust the shutter speed as well as the ISO.

With ISO Auto set and [81: Exposure level increments] set to [1/2- stop], any 1/2-stop exposure compensation will be implemented withthe ISO speed (1/3 stop) and shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change.

.... Goodee, your question answered. And Trevor @trevorbray, your question answered too - See Bebop's edit above.

Going on from this although slightly obliquely, I shoot Manual-mode 95% of the time and have my EOS-R set to Auto ISO. BUT, I have my EF Adapter Control Ring set to control ISO and so that becomes part of the fully Manual camera operation because the Control Ring overrides Auto ISO (on both EF and RF lenses). I never use exposure compensation because I always take note of the histogram in the viewfinder (I wish my 1DX-2 could do that but it's only a mirrorless option).

I haven't looked into it but I would expect that exposure compensation settings would slow down an already slow fps burst rate and high fps is valuable when shooting wildlife (as I do almost exclusively).

Last edited:
My EOS-R Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip arrived today and to my surprise a Canon USB Power Adapter was also in the box. This Power Adapter is usually sold separately and costs £119 (at Wex). I bought my Battery Grip from HDEW and they have told me that the Power Adaptor inclusion is how their sources supply it although this is not stated on their website yet. To be able to recharge two batteries at once while travelling will definitely be very desirable and especially as the EOS-R heavily drinks battery juice.

Regarding the grip itself, it of course adds significant weight and bulk but has some very strong advantages for my use and it still fits all my camera bags. The advantages are :

- Longer battery power supply with less frequent changes needed.

- Significantly improved handling and control when shooting handheld in portrait image orientation.

- Operation of the AF-ON Back Button Focus is far easier physically in both image orientations. I can explain how if anyone wants to know.

- Improved overall physical handling and balance, especially when telephoto lenses are mounted (very often in my case).

I have absolutely no vested financial interest in either HDEW or Wex and I have bought from both for several years (they are both my favourite retailers) but if you are considering a BG-E22 for your EOS-R you can save £90 and also save £119 for the USB Power Adapter by buying from HDEW.

Last edited:
.... Goodee, your question answered. And Trevor @trevorbray, your question answered too - See Bebop's edit above.

Going on from this although slightly obliquely, I shoot Manual-mode 95% of the time and have my EOS-R set to Auto ISO. BUT, I have my EF Adapter Control Ring set to control ISO and so that becomes part of the fully Manual camera operation because the Control Ring overrides Auto ISO (on both EF and RF lenses). I never use exposure compensation because I always take note of the histogram in the viewfinder (I wish my 1DX-2 could do that but it's only a mirrorless option).

I haven't looked into it but I would expect that exposure compensation settings would slow down an already slow fps burst rate and high fps is valuable when shooting wildlife (as I do almost exclusively).
Thanks. I can see using the control ring for ISO would be very useful.

There are just a couple of scenarios where I like to use exposure compensation with auto iso. Kitesurfers always need a bit more exposure against a bright sky, but the light can vary by a fair bit within seconds as they travel along the coast. Also pale skinned footballers with lots of dark vegetation in the background. The light can vary during a game and it's just one less thing for me to think about. With my 5Div I've never noticed it slowing it down nor my shutter speed being too slow. I'd prefer it to just vary the ISO but I expect it functions the same way.

Thanks. I can see using the control ring for ISO would be very useful.

There are just a couple of scenarios where I like to use exposure compensation with auto iso. Kitesurfers always need a bit more exposure against a bright sky, but the light can vary by a fair bit within seconds as they travel along the coast. Also pale skinned footballers with lots of dark vegetation in the background. The light can vary during a game and it's just one less thing for me to think about. With my 5Div I've never noticed it slowing it down nor my shutter speed being too slow. I'd prefer it to just vary the ISO but I expect it functions the same way.

.... I think it's a case of you experimenting to see what suits you best. Another factor is which metering option you choose as it will influence exposure. Also, if you don't already do it, Back Button Focus leaves the shutter button to only do metering and firing the shutter.

As you say, Auto ISO takes care of light level fluctuations live as they happen.

I've read quite a few reviews now and I'm getting so fed up of hearing all the Sony comments....

You may as well get used to it, sad but true fact is, the Sony crowd seem to imagine that they are somehow the first to experience full frame, mirrorless, 4K, face detect ... in fact any modern feature on cameras was invented by Sony and nobody does it better! It is really grating and tiring at times, I'm with you there.

I don't understand why the new RP is getting shredded in 'reviews' - they seem way overly harsh for the most part. It's like they forget about photographers completely when forming their opinion, it's all about video features now. Personally I don't give a hoot about 4K, don't use it on my current cam so it's not high on my list of wants for whenever I upgrade - and I can't really tell the difference between 1080p 24 or 30fps ... that's another factor causing the vlogging reviewers to get overly melodramatic.

The only thing I personally wish the camera had is IBIS. But, then the Fuji XT3/T30 don't have this feature either, and I'm also interested in those. They're not getting stick over that, yet the RP is ...

My EOS-R Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip arrived today and to my surprise a Canon USB Power Adapter was also in the box. This Power Adapter is usually sold separately and costs £119 (at Wex). I bought my Battery Grip from HDEW and they have told me that the Power Adaptor inclusion is how their sources supply it although this is not stated on their website yet. To be able to recharge two batteries at once while travelling will definitely be very desirable and especially as the EOS-R heavily drinks battery juice.

Regarding the grip itself, it of course adds significant weight and bulk but has some very strong advantages for my use and it still fits all my camera bags. The advantages are :

- Longer battery power supply with less frequent changes needed.

- Significantly improved handling and control when shooting handheld in portrait image orientation.

- Operation of the AF-ON Back Button Focus is far easier physically in both image orientations. I can explain how if anyone wants to know.

- Improved overall physical handling and balance, especially when telephoto lenses are mounted (very often in my case).

I have absolutely no vested financial interest in either HDEW or Wex and I have bought from both for several years (they are both my favourite retailers) but if you are considering a BG-E22 for your EOS-R you can save £90 and also save £119 for the USB Power Adapter by buying from HDEW.

I just assumed (after reading a few comments on the Facebook group) that the charger was a default part of the grip retail package. And just assumed it’d be included (which it was) in the one I bought from WEX.

I don't understand why the new RP is getting shredded in 'reviews' - they seem way overly harsh for the most part. It's like they forget about photographers completely when forming their opinion, it's all about video features now. Personally I don't give a hoot about 4K, don't use it on my current cam so it's not high on my list of wants for whenever I upgrade - and I can't really tell the difference between 1080p 24 or 30fps ... that's another factor causing the vlogging reviewers to get overly melodramatic.

The only thing I personally wish the camera had is IBIS. But, then the Fuji XT3/T30 don't have this feature either, and I'm also interested in those. They're not getting stick over that, yet the RP is ...

.... The early reviews seem to have this tendency nowadays but I would take them with a pinch of salt and wait for the more serious reviewers who have actually used the camera for at least a few weeks instead of days. For example, initially I was very critical of the Multi-function Touch Bar on the EOS-R but now having used it for a bit I find it very useful.

CanonRumors have been saying that Canon have said that IBIS is coming. But that is still a rumour and not official yet.

.... The early reviews seem to have this tendency nowadays but I would take them with a pinch of salt and wait for the more serious reviewers who have actually used the camera for at least a few weeks instead of days. For example, initially I was very critical of the Multi-function Touch Bar on the EOS-R but now having used it for a bit I find it very useful.

CanonRumors have been saying that Canon have said that IBIS is coming. But that is still a rumour and not official yet.

I do wonder about that, the amount of time these so-called reviewers actually spend with the gear before rushing their vids out for clicks while the item is hot. People always share the Northrups as if their word was gospel, overlooking the fact they have always been major shills who did just this to get where they are today. This has been proven somewhat in the M43 threads recently, the whole 'M43 is dead' clickbait video from them seems really strange when only a month prior Tony had hailed the omd em 10 mkII as his favorite travel camera. Hip-O-crit much!

I do wonder about that, the amount of time these so-called reviewers actually spend with the gear before rushing their vids out for clicks while the item is hot. People always share the Northrups as if their word was gospel, overlooking the fact they have always been major shills who did just this to get where they are today. This has been proven somewhat in the M43 threads recently, the whole 'M43 is dead' clickbait video from them seems really strange when only a month prior Tony had hailed the omd em 10 mkII as his favorite travel camera. Hip-O-crit much!

Plenty of vloggers haven't even touched the cameras they're pronouncing on. With new models, if you have not attended an official launch event - and obviously that cannot include more than the main media players - then you won't get to even see the thing before it arrives at retail. Even if you do attend a launch, and I've been to more than I can remember over the years, there is rarely more than a handful of cameras at best to be shared among several dozen people over the space of a couple of hours after the main presentation. A good reviewer can form a view from that and make some judgements from the spec and the experience of a few years in the job, but in no way is it a proper test. Some things are easy, like the price of the EOS-RP requires no testing at all, and from the spec sheet one or two card slots doesn't need any further investigation, but things like AF performance in different situations and sensor dynamic range take a lot of time and proper setting up.

I don't see any contradiction in Tony Northrop voting the OMD em MkII as a good travel camera, while also casting doubt over the future of M4/3. They're completely different things.

Edit: with so many writers and vloggers now being self-employed, attending a press launch event can be expensive - the manufacturer will not pay for travel or time etc. That's enough to put off a fair number of second division commentators. For overseas events, they'll usually pay both airfares and hotel but those are rare - UK launches are almost always in London.

Last edited:
Back