Canon EOS R Series Cameras

[/QUOTE]
Although I'm a Sony a9mkII user this is very impressive, the way it finds the BIF head / eye really brings Canon back towards the top, early days yet but I can see this and the R6 selling very well i think all camera makers will have to try and get this sort of AF performance with Animals / birds My a9mkII can't find the birds head like this video shows a firmware update is needed fast :) well done Canon .

Rob.

Although I'm a Sony a9mkII user this is very impressive, the way it finds the BIF head / eye really brings Canon back towards the top, early days yet but I can see this and the R6 selling very well i think all camera makers will have to try and get this sort of AF performance with Animals / birds My a9mkII can't find the birds head like this video shows a firmware update is needed fast :) well done Canon .

Rob.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad finally Canon has done the massive leap. Waiting for the prices from E-Infin / Panamoz to appear, hoping for around £3.2k for an R5.

Rob.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad finally Canon has done the massive leap. Waiting for the prices from E-Infin / Panamoz to appear, hoping for around £3.2k for an R5.
[/QUOTE]

DigitalRev have it price at £3,989.99, so I doubt the other two would be much different

DigitalRev have it price at £3,989.99, so I doubt the other two would be much different
[/QUOTE]

From what I known in the past, DigitalRev is always higher than them both.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that is correct, going by other models pricing I would be surprised if the R5 comes in lower than £3,600 from e-infinity, am honesty expecting in the region of £3,700 / £3,800, with the latter being more than likely.

Well this is really surprising Digital Rev are charging £2,789.99 for the R6 body only but WEX are charging £2,499.00.

Last edited:
Yes that is correct, going by other models pricing I would be surprised if the R5 comes in lower than £3,600 from e-infinity, am honesty expecting in the region of £3,700 / £3,800, with the latter being more than likely.

Well this is really surprising Digital Rev are charging £2,789.99 for the R6 body only but WEX are charging £2,499.00.

Not so much, ime, grey importers are more expensive for the first few weeks with highly anticipated models. Take the A7iii, was a bargain for the UK for quite a while in comparison, think I paid £1700 with an MC11 when it was £2000 everywhere else. We mostly get screwed but not always.

Not so much, ime, grey importers are more expensive for the first few weeks with highly anticipated models. Take the A7iii, was a bargain for the UK for quite a while in comparison, think I paid £1700 with an MC11 when it was £2000 everywhere else. We mostly get screwed but not always.

In all honesty I have never heardof that before, but then it is more Than likely that I have only bought lenses from grey market sources, and those lenses are weeks if not months after they have been released.

[/QUOTE]

We shall see their pricing when it first appear, as mentioned on above posts the initial pricing will be quite high, let's exhibit Sony A7R4 at both Panamoz and e-infin, but, the price drops after a few months (I maybe wrong as I did not time the actual drop since release). If it is true around £3,700 on both Panamoz and e-infin, then I may consider to get an R5 from Canon HK, which is currently around £3.2k

I can't understand why digital rev would price it higher than the MSRP. The only reason people go to look on grey import prices is because they are comparing them with the prices of Wex etc.

I can't understand why digital rev would price it higher than the MSRP. The only reason people go to look on grey import prices is because they are comparing them with the prices of Wex etc.
Supply and demand I would think, once the initial rush is over the grey price will start to fall.

I was convinced I wanted the R5, I've sold off a lot of gear I rarely use and built up a war chest ready for the announcement, thinking I'd probably get the R5 and maybe 1 or 2 new RF lenses to add to the 4 I already have.
Now every review I have watched so far I find myself thinking the R6 is going to suit me better, I do a lot of running photography so the low light performance may be better. It's difficult when you're photographing a running event that starts at 7pm in October!!
I'm also hoping the R6 won't suffer from rolling shutter as much as the R5 will due to the smaller amount of megapixels.

Anyone else had the same thoughts?
I'm going to give it a few months and wait for some real world reviews to come out.

The Animal AF on the R5 is insane new footage

I was all about ready to nay say, as many preview videos are basically just promos showing very specific set ups. But damn, this guy seems legit for one, out in the field actually using the gear - and that tracking ... with adapted tele lenses to boot ... I'm impressed .... I'm also broke so won't be buying one, but if money was no issue I'd be very, very tempted by this new batch from Canon

I was convinced I wanted the R5, I've sold off a lot of gear I rarely use and built up a war chest ready for the announcement, thinking I'd probably get the R5 and maybe 1 or 2 new RF lenses to add to the 4 I already have.
Now every review I have watched so far I find myself thinking the R6 is going to suit me better, I do a lot of running photography so the low light performance may be better. It's difficult when you're photographing a running event that starts at 7pm in October!!
I'm also hoping the R6 won't suffer from rolling shutter as much as the R5 will due to the smaller amount of megapixels.

Anyone else had the same thoughts?
I'm going to give it a few months and wait for some real world reviews to come out.

i think you are doing the right thing waiting for reviews. So am I tbh.

As for the rolling shutter of the the R6 you can get a good idea of how good or bad it is by looking at 1Dxiii results for rolling shutter. Looking at reviews it seems there is some rolling shutter and banding but depends on your use case I guess as how heavily it might impact you.

I was all about ready to nay say, as many preview videos are basically just promos showing very specific set ups. But damn, this guy seems legit for one, out in the field actually using the gear - and that tracking ... with adapted tele lenses to boot ... I'm impressed .... I'm also broke so won't be buying one, but if money was no issue I'd be very, very tempted by this new batch from Canon

I feel your financial pain as well as while I am not broke as such, but am not only saving for an R5 / R6 which I won‘t be able to afford until start of next year, but also I am saving for a trip to Australia well providing their borders are open by then, or another holiday where there is plenty of wildlife in their natural habitats and so the thought of having a R5 with Animal AF and being able to leave my 5D MKIII & 7D at home, is really tempting.

I feel your financial pain as well as while I am not broke as such, but am not only saving for an R5 / R6 which I won‘t be able to afford until start of next year, but also I am saving for a trip to Australia well providing their borders are open by then, or another holiday where there is plenty of wildlife in their natural habitats and so the thought of having a R5 with Animal AF and being able to leave my 5D MKIII & 7D at home, is really tempting.

I'm fine living wise, just when it comes to photo gear that really isn't necessary I have to keep a lid on it. I'm not stuck for anything else like, when I say broke, I strictly mean gear-wise ;) I'd love to fly to Oz some time, been across Europe and been to the states twice and the longest flight I've had was to St. Louis [11hrs inc a switch over] and I'm not the best traveller, so a trip to Oz would take a lot out of me. But some day ...

I'm fine living wise, just when it comes to photo gear that really isn't necessary I have to keep a lid on it. I'm not stuck for anything else like, when I say broke, I strictly mean gear-wise ;) I'd love to fly to Oz some time, been across Europe and been to the states twice and the longest flight I've had was to St. Louis [11hrs inc a switch over] and I'm not the best traveller, so a trip to Oz would take a lot out of me. But some day ...

I completely understand where you are coming from with the per need basis, it is just unfortunate that I am a self confessed gadget whore which doesn’t do me any favours :). I have been to a few countries around Europe as well as further afield like Austin Texas years ago. I Have also been lucky enough to go to Australia 3 times, but last time I went was in 2009 and the only camera I owned was on a mobile phone. So would love to go back out there with a proper camera & glass. But yes if you are not a good traveller then it isn’t advised, as you are looking at 25-27hrs in total, plus the jet lag, that can and will hit when you least expect it. I really do hope that you manage to go some time tho.

did take a look earlier. Didn't feel the difference was all that much vs. A7iii/Z6/S1 to really worry about it.

then I looked in my LR, out of many 1000s of photos i have imported in last 7 years I have 10 photos shot at 12800 and less than 200 at 6400. So personally at lower ISO this matter very less for me.

did take a look earlier. Didn't feel the difference was all that much vs. A7iii/Z6/S1 to really worry about it.

then I looked in my LR, out of many 1000s of photos i have imported in last 7 years I have 10 photos shot at 12800 and less than 200 at 6400. So personally at lower ISO this matter very less for me.
I think the main take away is that Canon is matching / beating Nikon / Sony sensor performance in ISO... which they never could do.

I think the main take away is that Canon is matching / beating Nikon / Sony sensor performance in ISO... which they never could do.
The sensor stack is taken from their sports body i.e. 1dxiii. No surprise it's high ISO is slightly better than Sony.
While dynamic range is really very good at base ISO Sony sensor slightly better.
All in all I'd say are about equal.
R5 is unknown. But if it is the same then imo there is no point worrying IQ differences anymore. It'll come down lenses, AF, ergonomics and other features.

The sensor stack is taken from their sports body i.e. 1dxiii. No surprise it's high ISO is slightly better than Sony.
While dynamic range is really very good at base ISO Sony sensor slightly better.
All in all I'd say are about equal.
R5 is unknown. But if it is the same then imo there is no point worrying IQ differences anymore. It'll come down lenses, AF, ergonomics and other features.

+1

Would say the R6 is still slightly behind the a7iii at 6400.

The shadows around her eyes have larger green artefacts on the canon,but a slightly more red look on the sony.

To be honest between the R6/a7iii/z6 once edited I’m sure it wouldn’t be anything noticeable at all.

those stuffed peppers are mouth watering. Haven't eat out since the lockdown

This was our first venture out. The city was quite busy but we found a hotel by the river with a nice beer garden.

My wife was born in Russia and smelt the food as we entered the market. Eventually found the stall and got stuck in.

Thank you for that, was bored so downloaded and imported them into Lightroom Classic. Spent a little bit of time on the cheetah, reducing noise slightly, recovering detail and colour. Now I know that F11 is often a sweet stop for sharpness but when zoomed in and seeing individual fur particles is really impressive. Gotta say that I am looking forward in seeing more in the weeks / months to come.

On a side note, I was looking at memory card prices and had to sit down when I saw that the price for a 512gb CF Express card is around £700 . Maybe a dual UHS-II SD slot on the R6 isn’t so bad after all.

Yeah, Cfexpress prices are mental at the moment... I'll just use SD UHS II cards until they come down to a more sensible price in a year or so... I've got no plans to make use of Video on the r5 so I should be fine with SD for a while...

Yeah, Cfexpress prices are mental at the moment... I'll just use SD UHS II cards until they come down to a more sensible price in a year or so... I've got no plans to make use of Video on the r5 so I should be fine with SD for a while...
The issue is you can't use dual cards if you don't have both. So you don't have redundancy.

Id be more concerned about using a single 512GB card than 1 card slot. If it were me Id go 128GB CFE for £165 and a 128GB SD. Pro video guys can afford bigger cards for 8K.

I guess if you're filming 8k or 4k 120, you'd be forever swapping cards... 512gb stores around 25 mins of footage iirc.... but yeah if you're not doing that I'd personally be wary using such a large card for photos...

Back