Canon EOS R Series Cameras

And a decent sensor in case of RP

Not at all. i had no issues with the sensor in the R, as id already owned and loved the 5div.

However, the internet did have me worried about the RP sensor though and i was reluctant to give it a go. i mean, it definitely got you tubers a lot of clicks with all the hate and headlines. But in reality its working great for me and im not finding myself looking for improved sensor performance. YES id prefer the r sensor, but diminishing returns and all that.

Not at all. i had no issues with the sensor in the R, as id already owned and loved the 5div.

However, the internet did have me worried about the RP sensor though and i was reluctant to give it a go. i mean, it definitely got you tubers a lot of clicks with all the hate and headlines. But in reality its working great for me and im not finding myself looking for improved sensor performance. YES id prefer the r sensor, but diminishing returns and all that.
Sticking with Canon going forwards then... or is another dabble with Sony on the cards :p ;)
I am liking the Canon R5 :D

Sticking with Canon going forwards then... or is another dabble with Sony on the cards :p ;)
I am liking the Canon R5 :D

yes really enjoying it so far.
never say never. ideally i'd love for Nikon to pull something out of the bag, but i can't ever see the performance of the glass adapted being able to compete. We'll see.

sony would need to address the camera body design to get my interest. Ergonomics only a mother could love!

if it works for you then great. RP sensor doesn't work me, well I can make it work but why bother when there are better options out there.

yes really enjoying it so far.
never say never. ideally i'd love for Nikon to pull something out of the bag, but i can't ever see the performance of the glass adapted being able to compete. We'll see.

sony would need to address the camera body design to get my interest. Ergonomics only a mother could love!
Yeah I kind of wan't Nikon to bring out something special ...... not sure if they can, we'll find out later this year no doubt.
I sticking to my long-term stock money making plan for now..... :D

Yeah I kind of wan't Nikon to bring out something special ...... not sure if they can, we'll find out later this year no doubt.
I sticking to my long-term stock money making plan for now..... :D

im not asking for much. 2 card slots, better af and some faster primes are a good start.

your favourite A7RII would be a better option at least for me anyway.

sensor wise yes, its a beast. it wins there.
things ive come to love about the canons though are:

fully articulating screen.
full touch screen.
excellent eye af.
excellent performance with ef glass.
comfortable grip.
price (got the RP and rf 35mm for the cost of an a7rii).

sensor wise yes, its a beast. it wins there.
things ive come to love about the canons though are:

fully articulating screen.
full touch screen.
excellent eye af.
excellent performance with ef glass.
comfortable grip.
price (got the RP and rf 35mm for the cost of an a7rii).

as i said before to me its like buying a smartphone with rubbish phone quality but everything else is great.

while I do agree that canon colours are great out of camera and I prefer it to most others (in fact all others) its a non-issue. For example I can apply canon R colours all my RAWs (irrespective of the brand) in LR either by default or with a single click.

as i said before to me its like buying a smartphone with rubbish phone quality but everything else is great.

But thats only at lower ISO. Not everyone needs or screws up that bad every time that they need to recover that much at base and low iso. Ive overexposed many shots at base ISO messing around on a very bright day, I was able to recover the LR warning highlights every single time, even on white and pull back all the data. I can pull the highlight slider all the way down and then reduce even further by using selective masking.

So far Ive had no issues in real world scenarios, or Id have sent it back (if it was as terrible as you make out). It was fun pushing the Sony sensors to see what they can do in post but in real life shooting Ive not missed it. Perhaps if I shot landscape Id need more for whatever reason, dunno, not my thing.

Last edited:
if it was just about the sensor for me than id return to medium format (which ive considered doing a few times).

Have considered that a few times but I don't really gain much from it. Can get shallower DoF, more pixels, better reach (both UWA and telephoto) and AF with FF.

while I do agree that canon colours are great out of camera and I prefer it to most others (in fact all others) its a non-issue. For example I can apply canon R colours all my RAWs (irrespective of the brand) in LR either by default or with a single click.

Not the case, a RAW with a camera profile or preset applied will not match another manufacturers files with 1 click and definitely not consistently.

Last edited:
But thats only at lower ISO. Not everyone needs or screws up that bad every time that they need to recover that much at base and low iso. Ive overexposed many shots at base ISO messing around on a very bright day, I was able to recover the LR warning highlights every single time, even on white and pull back all the data. I can pull the highlight slider all the way down and then reduce even further by using selective masking.

So far Ive had no issues in real world scenarios, or Id have sent it back (if it was as terrible as you make out). It was fun pushing the Sony sensors to see what they can do but in real life shooting Ive not missed it.

If you think high dynamic range is for just recovering screwed up shots you gave a bigger problem than lack of dynamic range ;)
I am perfectly capable of exposing my shots as intended, I don't need high dynamic range sensors for that.

75% of my shots are under ISO800. The next 15% under ISO1600, and majority of the remaining under ISO 6400. So for real life shooting I mostly care about low ISOs which is why A7RIV isn't an issue for me because it does suck a little at high ISO compared to others.

Not the case, a RAW with a camera profile or preset applied will not match another manufacturers files with 1 click and definitely not consistently.
Perhaps not consistently but gets pretty close a good majority of the times. Still a non-issue IMO. Certainly not enough to pick one brand over another.

Have considered that a few times but I don't really gain much from it. Can get shallower DoF, more pixels, better reach (both UWA and telephoto) and AF with FF.

yeah, weigh up all the factors and use the right tool for the job. and these canons have done more than ok for me for what i shoot.
The medium format does give a wonderful look though which isn't just down to depth of field. the af was a dagger to my heart though.
you can go wider, most canon ef lenses work adapted with little to no vignette of the gfx.

If you think high dynamic range is for just recovering screwed up shots you gave a bigger problem than lack of dynamic range ;)
I am perfectly capable of exposing my shots as intended, I don't need high dynamic range sensors for that.

75% of my shots are under ISO800. The next 15% under ISO1600, and majority of the remaining under ISO 6400. So for real life shooting I mostly care about low ISOs which is why A7RIV isn't an issue for me because it does suck a little at high ISO compared to others.

Enlighten me. Because the biggest draw for me to having lots of DR is to push/pull the most from a single exposures brightest or darkest parts in post instead of bracketing. I dont bracket and as previously said, dont have an issue recovering blown stuff at base ISO even maxing the sliders. Perhaps you landscape shooters gain from it in some other way.

TBF I was also hung up by how much I could mess around with 1 exposure in post but I just havent found it as much of an issue as I thought it might be (it concerned me when I bought the RP and Im sure it will come up one day but so far 4000 shots, not yet).

Exactly, so youre a lower ISO shooter, that doesnt mean the RP has a poor sensor for everyone.

Last edited:
Perhaps not consistently but gets pretty close a good majority of the times. Still a non-issue IMO. Certainly not enough to pick one brand over another.

Yeah, it wouldnt make or break a camera for me but it is nice that I spend less to no time adjusting skin in post, especially lower mixed light.

yeah, weigh up all the factors and use the right tool for the job. and these canons have done more than ok for me for what i shoot.
The medium format does give a wonderful look though which isn't just down to depth of field. the af was a dagger to my heart though.
you can go wider, most canon ef lenses work adapted with little to no vignette of the gfx.

can't say I have looked at adapting EF glass. might look in to it and see how well they work though they may not work so well on high res sensors.
If I had more money than brain cells or I win the lottery so I have more money than brain cells I'd buy the GFX100.

were they ever a good choice? ;)
Sorry couldn't resist....
but basically looking at the improvements in AF it seems R/RP might be at the limits of how much they can update it (AF-wise) with the old processor. The new processor in R5/6 seems be a very good upgrade in terms of AF. So for stills if you are into shooting actions or tracking R5/6 might be a better choice. Of course the older bodies are cheaper though.

in my endless hours of research I did read somewhere that the AF in the R is further improved with the High Speed Display function, but apparently this feature only works with native RF lenses. So am hoping that the fast tracking & Af on the R5 is for EF glass as well and not restricted to RF.

So, what are your thoughts overall? I think you still shoot Sony apsc?
The A6000 was just a stop gap until the 5D MkIV came down in price, which it did and I bought one and really liked it. Then when I read the rumours earlier this year about the R5/R6 I sold it before the market dropped out.
The RP was just a free loan offer from Canon so I took advantage to try it with a couple of EF lenses. The AF is better than the 5D and the files seem pretty good, I would have liked a bit longer with it really. However like the Sony's it feels a bit too small for my liking, I have long fingers (artistic! :LOL:) and I struggle with the buttons.
Long story short I sold the 5D4 to get an R5 but have decided the R6 will be a better bet for me, we shall see.

Last edited:
I sold the A6000 last year and bought a 5D MkIV which I really liked. Then when I read the rumours earlier this year about the R5/R6 I sold it before the market dropped out.
The RP was just a free loan offer from Canon so I took advantage to try it with a couple of EF lenses. The AF is better than the 5D and the files seem pretty good, I would have liked a bit longer with it really. However like the Sony's it feels a bit too small for my liking, I have long fingers (artistic! :LOL:) and I struggle with the buttons.
Long story short I sold the 5D4 to get an R5 but have decided the R6 will be a better bet for me, we shall see.

Sounds like you've made all the right moves. @addicknchips bought the grip extension, said he loved it. I decided not to as am alright, the grip is pretty substantial in comparison to other milc. I'd also go for the r6, it seems the bargain choice in terms feature set for a stills shooter, not to say the video sucks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you've made all the right moves. @addicknchips bought the grip extension, said he loved it. I decided not to as am alright, the grip is pretty substantial in comparison to other milc. I'd also go for the r6, it seems the bargain choice in terms feature set for a stills shooter, not to say the video sucks!

The body alone is a little small when using larger lenses. The grip brings it closer to the size of the R, and is really nicely made. Easy access to the card and battery

thanks. she's actually aiming this at my head though and gets pretty annoyed when i stop playing to take pictures.
:ROFLMAO: Sadly when my kids were this young, I only had a film camera and a deficit of skills. Now they're older, they're usually grimacing at me if I aim the camera at them :rolleyes:
Enjoy! She looks like she's got some great football skills already.

:ROFLMAO: Sadly when my kids were this young, I only had a film camera and a deficit of skills. Now they're older, they're usually grimacing at me if I aim the camera at them :rolleyes:
Enjoy! She looks like she's got some great football skills already.

i have the camera but sadly the deficit of skills!

Back