Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Hi all
I'm a long term Fuji user. However, since lockdown, I've only taken around 150 photographs with my X-T4 (lots of reasons why). I still like the output from the system but I've always had an interest in improved autofocus, especially eye af and having an active dog I want the easiest camera to nail focus when tracking. I've had Sony Aii in the past but I don't like Sony colours and I have limited interest in post-processing.

This has brought me to the dark side ;) and looking at the Canon R6. However, before GAS takes over I want to be sure that the eye AF is significantly better than my X-T4 and that anyone who was with Fuji and went to Canon was happy with the jpeg output?
I can't really comment on the JPEG output as I always shot RAW in the Fuji and the Canon.

I used the XT3 and the XT4, alongside the EOS-R and R5.

I'd say the Canon, especially the R5 and R6, auto focus speed and eye tracking capability, is streets ahead of anything Fuji can offer at the moment.
Since getting the R5 I've now sold all my Fuji kit.
Very helpful to hear from a Fuji user. I have a lot of Fuji gear I can try and sell to offset the pain of a system change!

My main lens in the fuji line up is the 16-55 2.8. A lens I enjoy using. Its fast and sharp. Looking at the R6 and associated lenses it would appear that the Canon 24-105 is an equivalent. However, there are two with a hefty price differential. I presume most would say the F4 version's image quality is well worth it over the F4-7.1 version?

I'm open to other lens suggestions too before I buy.

My main lens in the fuji line up is the 16-55 2.8. A lens I enjoy using. Its fast and sharp. Looking at the R6 and associated lenses it would appear that the Canon 24-105 is an equivalent. However, there are two with a hefty price differential. I presume most would say the F4 version's image quality is well worth it over the F4-7.1 version?

I'm open to other lens suggestions too before I buy.

Yes you want the f4 version.
I really quite like the rf 35mm f1.8

The way I do it with the R5 and the 100-500 is have the AF-ON button set to focus (back button focus) and then set the * button to Eye AF.

You can then position the camera, use the AF-ON button to set the focus on the bird, then use the * button to activate eye tracking.
I may not have explained that very clearly but there are some good videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqLQ-TzwCis
Yes I understand what you are saying, and that's very similar to my setup. Have you tweaked any of the AF 'case's' I'm just using case 1 and auto, wondered if there's any tweaks in there that are recommended?

Yes I understand what you are saying, and that's very similar to my setup. Have you tweaked any of the AF 'case's' I'm just using case 1 and auto, wondered if there's any tweaks in there that are recommended?
I haven't personally, problem is because of lockdown I haven't really had much chance to use the 100-500 and properly test the AF setup.

Yes you want the f4 version.
I really quite like the rf 35mm f1.8
I found the 35 1.8 quite a bit better than the 24-105 f4
I've bought a 50 1.8 and will check that out when I get a chance
I also have the 28-70 which is great but the thing is a brick to carry up a hill

Dave

Last edited:
I found the 35 1.8 quite a bit better than the 24-105 f4
I've bought a 50 1.8 and will check that out when I get a chance
I also have the 28-70 which is great but the thing is a brick to carry up a hill

Dave
Have you posted any examples from the 28-70?

I've put in my 'order' for the R5 test drive in a couple of weekends. Going to have an R5, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, and 85/1.2 to play with for a weekend in a couple of weeks. Be interesting to see what it's like compared to the Nikon Z6ii and lenses.

I've put in my 'order' for the R5 test drive in a couple of weekends. Going to have an R5, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, and 85/1.2 to play with for a weekend in a couple of weeks. Be interesting to see what it's like compared to the Nikon Z6ii and lenses.

Same here! I've requested the R5 for second weekend in February. Can't wait, to see how heads and shoulders it is above my current RP! I am 100 percent confident I will buy this before our next (FINALLY) trip over the ocean, which I am praying for is this year!

Same here! I've requested the R5 for second weekend in February. Can't wait, to see how heads and shoulders it is above my current RP! I am 100 percent confident I will buy this before our next (FINALLY) trip over the ocean, which I am praying for is this year!

its a very different animal to the RP. You'll love it.

I'm interested to see how it compares to the Z6ii. I'm not sure 48hours will be enough time to try it fully but it should give me a feel for it.

Have you posted any examples from the 28-70?

Not taken anything I'm prepared to share as of yet and neither have I compared it with the 35mm

like I say - I've stopped taking it out

I'm using the 24/105 or 24/240 for walkabout

Dave

Not taken anything I'm prepared to share as of yet and neither have I compared it with the 35mm

like I say - I've stopped taking it out

I'm using the 24/105 or 24/240 for walkabout

Dave
The 28-70 will be my next purchase (stock permitting)

Off topic: And I thought I'd spent a fortune on speakers and amp. You put me to shame.:)

Really

what would you use it for?

95mm thread

enormous weight

bettered for by the 50 and 85 f1.2s for studio

and by something you would take with you if doing outside stuff

i honestly feel like a right Charlie when toting it

i call it the b*****d

and the kit is one thing

its the mains leads, stands and cables that are just embarrassing

dave

and the kit is one thing

its the mains leads, stands and cables that are just embarrassing

dave
I hear you on the cabling.
I have a 5.1 system. My cabling looks like a wig gone through a spin cycle.

Really

what would you use it for?

95mm thread

enormous weight

bettered for by the 50 and 85 f1.2s for studio

and by something you would take with you if doing outside stuff

i honestly feel like a right Charlie when toting it

i call it the b*****d
You are right.
I really want the 100-500 but I'm not big on patience.

Think I am going to get shot

I’ve been a canon user since I was first into photography had quite a few of their line up.

Fancy coming back home to canon love their menu system there L lens.

So a R5 is being looked into.

Coming from a Sony A9

Think I am going to get shot

I’ve been a canon user since I was first into photography had quite a few of their line up.

Fancy coming back home to canon love their menu system there L lens.

So a R5 is being looked into.

Coming from a Sony A9
Sony A7iii to A7Riii to A9 for me but took delivery of an R6 yesterday

I should be getting the EOS R6 for a test drive today. I bought one of the Nina Bailey guides last week to see if I could get a head start. Not sure how I can test it for action before the event I want to photograph tho. Any tips most welcome on set ups that have worked.

I should be getting the EOS R6 for a test drive today. I bought one of the Nina Bailey guides last week to see if I could get a head start. Not sure how I can test it for action before the event I want to photograph tho. Any tips most welcome on set ups that have worked.

what type of thing are you shooting? i found the camera works very well out of the box. although for some reason the joystick doesnt move the focus points by default, so make sure you change that when you get it.

Next Wednesday, I will be shooting the BBL [basketball] at the Worcester arena - not sure how much of the match I will use it for. It's low light performance will be put to the test. I am also wondering about using the face tracker but think it might be a bit too crowded to cope with that.

From a A9 to R6 hmm why that pls
Far better video performance, the A9 is crippled for video and apart from the A7S models the others aren't great on video either, change of direction for me as i'm getting into video more.

Does anyone on here own both an R5 & and an R6 and could comment on the real world differences for mainly photography other than the obvious difference in resolution?

Next Wednesday, I will be shooting the BBL [basketball] at the Worcester arena - not sure how much of the match I will use it for. It's low light performance will be put to the test. I am also wondering about using the face tracker but think it might be a bit too crowded to cope with that.

maybe try the subject lock on focus option? the af is very good so im sure you'll get great results. the only sport ive shot with the camera is football and its been superb.

Lol. Just spent £100 on an EF/RF adapter so I can use two lenses that I've owned since the 80s and never been able to chuck away. Between them, they can't be worth more than £50. Funny thing is they both work amazingly well. One of them was the 24-70 kit lens with the EOS650 I bought in 1988. Still a totally useable lens if a bit noisy. The other is a 100-200 constant f4.5 push-pull zoom also from 1988. Not a great lens but still works a treat. Back when I used Canon DSLRs (I sold my 5DII because of stupid GAS and never went back) I was far too up myself to use these old lenses but now it is real pleasure.

Back