Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Lol. Just spent £100 on an EF/RF adapter so I can use two lenses that I've owned since the 80s and never been able to chuck away. Between them, they can't be worth more than £50. Funny thing is they both work amazingly well. One of them was the 24-70 kit lens with the EOS650 I bought in 1988. Still a totally useable lens if a bit noisy. The other is a 100-200 constant f4.5 push-pull zoom also from 1988. Not a great lens but still works a treat. Back when I used Canon DSLRs (I sold my 5DII because of stupid GAS and never went back) I was far too up myself to use these old lenses but now it is real pleasure.

Nothing surprises me at all about it :D

All of my EF lenses work a ton better on both R bodies I’ve had now, compared to my DSLR’s.

One of the main lenses I’m looking forward to trying on my R5 when I finally manage to get out properly with it (along with my 11-24 [emoji7])

Really interested to see how the IBIS works with it.
IBIS on the R5 is very good. With the RF 85mm 1.2 I get about 4 stops.
And that's impressive as I'm old and shake really shakey..

Stop it...how’s the eye AF ?

Checking my finances..
No idea mate, although I was messing about pointing the camera at a goose using zone as it was moving and it did grab the eye, camera was set to human LOL

No idea mate, although I was messing about pointing the camera at a goose using zone as it was moving and it did grab the eye, camera was set to human LOL

Bugger. Wonder what I could get for my....

Bugger. Wonder what I could get for my....
Well you have plenty to choose from.

This reminds me a lot of Olympus, the handling, the colours and the overall look of the images. Need to get to grips with the tracking modes but I only have the 40mm Sigma beast to start with, need to make some lens choices soon.

I took the R6 out today: I could not get IBIS to work on the EF lens. Did I miss something?

Was the ibis definitely not working?
Well, I did what I read about at home before going out. The IBIS was switched on on the lens and I could not hand hold at anything like a slow shutter speed. With my Oly IBIS hand holding is a piece of cake and can be done for seconds. Puzzling. Grey and misty here today.

This.
If the lens has IS then you have the hand icon on the display indicating lens and body stabilisation is active
So I've just double checked this with my R5 and a combination of RF lenses with and without stabilisation.

If you use a lens with no stabilisation but your IBIS is turned on then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon

If you use a lens with stabilisation and it is set to the 'ON' position then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon with a little + sign next to it. This indicates you're benefiting from body and lens stabilisation.

If you use a lens with stabilisation and it is set to the 'OFF' position then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon with 'OFF' next to it. This indicates you have turned off all stabilisation.

So effectively, if your lens has IS then your lens IS switch controls optical and in-body stabilisation.
If your lens does not have IS then you'd need to go into red menu 7 and go into 'IS (Image Stabilizer) mode option to turn t off

So I've just double checked this with my R5 and a combination of RF lenses with and without stabilisation.

If you use a lens with no stabilisation but your IBIS is turned on then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon

If you use a lens with stabilisation and it is set to the 'ON' position then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon with a little + sign next to it. This indicates you're benefiting from body and lens stabilisation.

If you use a lens with stabilisation and it is set to the 'OFF' position then at the top centre of your LCD you see the hand icon with 'OFF' next to it. This indicates you have turned off all stabilisation.

So effectively, if your lens has IS then your lens IS switch controls optical and in-body stabilisation.
If your lens does not have IS then you'd need to go into red menu 7 and go into 'IS (Image Stabilizer) mode option to turn t off

I’ve never noticed the plus sign next to any of my EF lenses with IS already on them.
All I’m seeing is the double brackets either side of the hand icon in both occasions.

Maybe it’s only with RF lenses that have IS?
I don’t have any EF lenses so can’t verify that.

Ah right ok. I’m with you now.

I put my 100mm macro on it for the first time when I was checking just now.
I’ve never seen it lock focus like that before in the 10 or so years I’ve had it. Didn’t even have to alter the distance limit switch :D

Has anyone tried the canon 180mm macro on the R bodies by any chance?

I’ve got some trade in credit that I really don’t know what to do with...

I’m toying between the above mentioned lens; a 24m TS-E or the RF 70-200 2.8.
And as much as I’d like the latter. I’d inevitably end up trading in the EF II version I currently have towards it; along with probably another 800 quid or so on top of the total to pay it off.

Just to replace it with the RF version of a lens I’m already happy with...

Pretty much the only limitation my 100mm has, is the reach needed for the ‘skittish’ bugs and stuff I often try and use it for.

Apologies for the long winded post. But any feedback on the 180mm would be much appreciated [emoji106]

I have the RF 70-200 2.8 on a test drive; it is way smaller and lighter. Hoping the weather improves as both attempts to get out today were stopped by rain and I did not really fancy testing the weather proofing! If I like both the R6 and this zoom. I will trade iin my EF version as it is just too heavy a combo for my shoulder these days.

I've got the RF 70-200mm and I love it.
It's so small and light when packing away compare to the EF version I had.

I sold all my EF kit, including the 702-00mm MK II, and bought a bunch of RF lenses, the weight and size for me is enough to justify, including slightly faster focus, can't say I've noticed any difference in image quality.

It is a big cost to get a focal length you already have, if weight isn't a problem I'd probably suggest spending it on something you don't have.

And as much as I’d like the latter. I’d inevitably end up trading in the EF II version I currently have towards it; along with probably another 800 quid or so on top of the total to pay it off.

Pretty much the only limitation my 100mm has, is the reach needed for the ‘skittish’ bugs and stuff I often try and use it for.

Apologies for the long winded post. But any feedback on the 180mm would be much appreciated [emoji106]

I was going to trade my EF 24-70 f2.8 and mkll 70-200 f2.8.....I stalled on the 24-70 and I’m glad I did as it’s even better on the R5......no regrets on the 70-200 though.....weight and size alone is a winner. Obviously didn’t get a chance to compare side by side but with the mklll version out in the EF version I could only see the value coming down?

I've got the RF 70-200mm and I love it.
It's so small and light when packing away compare to the EF version I had.

I sold all my EF kit, including the 702-00mm MK II, and bought a bunch of RF lenses, the weight and size for me is enough to justify, including slightly faster focus, can't say I've noticed any difference in image quality.

It is a big cost to get a focal length you already have, if weight isn't a problem I'd probably suggest spending it on something you don't have.

Exactly, that’s my way of thinking.

I suppose, looking back, it would’ve been better trying to sell it all privately. I wouldn’t be in this predicament then :D

I think getting something that’ll broaden my photography ‘options’ would be a better way forward. Hence the possible interest in the 180mm or a TS-E lens...

Not really much in the way of any feedback on how the 180mm fares on these modern mirrorless bodies. I assume it’s not a particularly popular lens.

Anyone got the RF50mm 1.8? It’s around £220 on eBay new which seems like a steal for me!
Yep I use it 99.9% of the time on my R. Cracking little lens for the money. The only problem I have is that it doesn't come with a hood and I always use one. Been on back order with Wex for yonks now.

I was going to trade my EF 24-70 f2.8 and mkll 70-200 f2.8.....I stalled on the 24-70 and I’m glad I did as it’s even better on the R5......no regrets on the 70-200 though.....weight and size alone is a winner. Obviously didn’t get a chance to compare side by side but with the mklll version out in the EF version I could only see the value coming down?

From what I can gather, the Mk II seems to be of a higher price in many places than the III for some reason.
But I very much doubt that’d be the case if I were to trade it in :D

I’m sure if I were to go ahead and do it, I wouldn’t look back on the choice in the long run. It’s just a lot of stuff to get rid of for something I pretty much already own.

If that makes sense?

Exactly, that’s my way of thinking.

I suppose, looking back, it would’ve been better trying to sell it all privately. I wouldn’t be in this predicament then :D

I think getting something that’ll broaden my photography ‘options’ would be a better way forward. Hence the possible interest in the 180mm or a TS-E lens...

Not really much in the way of any feedback on how the 180mm fares on these modern mirrorless bodies. I assume it’s not a particularly popular lens.
I made a gamble early, sold my 5D mark IV and 24-70 2.8L II and 70-200 2.8L II early, think it was early 2019, also sold my 100mm 2.8L macro and some Fuji lenses. I wanted to do it early as I thought the market may become flooded as people try to offload their EF kit to upgrade to RF.

I don't regret it, I'll own these lenses for a long time, probably see 3 or more new bodies while I own them :)

I haven't seen any feedback on the 180mm, I regret selling my 100mm though, there are rumours an RF version will be coming out so I may see how that is when it's released.

I went out with the test drive RF 70-200ii f2.8 and those symbols including the + did appear. I think there may be something I need to do in a menu that I haven't found, according to the Nina Bailey book I have found. Will check it out in the morning.

I have the 180mm macro lens and could try it out for you on the R5 tomorrow. I don't think I've used that combo yet - will have a look. I'm pretty sure I tried it on the R when I had it.

Edit: I have tried the R and the 180mm. I cannot remember if I had the 12mm extension tube on - not sure if that would show in the exif? I think I probably manually focused with all of these and probably used focus peaking. To be honest I'm not great at hand holding this lens and often use it on a monopod. If I remember rightly it was a bit windy (it nearly always is when I go photographing flowers!)

Let me know if there is something specific you'd like me to check.

1st is SOOC f/3.5 ISO640 1/125s

20201026BCR_8393_2_DxO.jpg

2nd f/5.6 ISO 3200 1/250

20201026BCR_8554_1_DxO_DxO.jpg

3rd SOOC f/7.1 ISO 400 1/160s

20201026BCR_8523_1_DxO.jpg

Another edit: I've just realised you want it for bugs and have found these - again I think I would have been manually focusing.

f/7.1 400s ISO 800

20200617-BCR_7484_DxO.jpg

f/6.3 1/640s ISO 3200
20200617-BCR_7474_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

- Paul, your detailed description relates to RF lenses on a R5/6 body, whereas @Chipper was asking about EF-adapted lenses. The situation with EF lenses is complicated and I don't pretend to understand all the details - but I believe that when an EF lens with IS is attached to a R5/6 body then that combo gives you the same number of stops of stabilisation you would expect if that lens was mounted on a non-mirrorless camera PLUS only 3 axes of stabilisation from the mirrorless IBIS body (not the 5 with a RF lens). Hence an EF-adapted combo will not give you quite the same high level of stabilisation that you would get from it's RF equivalent when mounted on an R body

Also, with an adapted-EF lens you don't get the hand icon with a + sign, only the hand icon.

There, I said it was complex!

Here is a Canon vid for anyone interested to see Canon's own partial explanation:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KuUgUqOfk&feature=emb_logo

Russ

Back