Canon EOS R Series Cameras

ibis and IS should work nicely together without issue.
I thought he meant when mounting the camera on a tripod. :)

If you attach a lens that has optical IS to the R5 then the lens IS switch controls both lens and body IS - so if you switch it off it will turn all stabilisation off.
There is no way to separate lens from body IS at the moment.

What stabilisation mode you're using is indicated using the small hand icon at the top centre of your viewfinder / screen.
If it has hand + 'Off' then all IS is turned off.
If it has hand with a '+' symbol then you're combining body and lens IS
If it just has the hand then you're using a lens with no IS and so in body stabilisation only is being applied.

Last edited:
Having owned an 5DII since it was introduced I decided it was time for an upgrade and I pre-ordered an R6 when it was first announced last year based on the fact that I mainly shoot landscapes and it's recommendation as being great in low light conditions sounded ideal for my style of image. It arrived bang on time and I've been really happy with the results I have been able to achieve during a pandemic. However, during bad weather and snow I feel much more uncomfortable about using the camera in wet conditions.. it doesn't feel particularly robust when it comes to weather sealing in comparison with the EF lenses I'm using (and the RF 70-200). I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to the R5 which, from some research, it is claimed to be better sealed than the R6. Does anyone have any experience of using either in very wet conditions? My old 5DII worked brilliantly in some very tough weather and I don't want to worry about getting my camera out - just want to worry about getting a good shot :).

The r5 is a bit more solidly built and has better weather sealing. It definitely feels a little more robust. But I’ve used the r6 in the pouring rain shooting a football match and it survived without any issues.

ibis and IS should work nicely together without issue.
Last question. Does turning lens IS off automatically turn IBIS off.
I'm too lazy to read the manual.

Question answered, thanks.

Last edited:
Having owned an 5DII since it was introduced I decided it was time for an upgrade and I pre-ordered an R6 when it was first announced last year based on the fact that I mainly shoot landscapes and it's recommendation as being great in low light conditions sounded ideal for my style of image. It arrived bang on time and I've been really happy with the results I have been able to achieve during a pandemic. However, during bad weather and snow I feel much more uncomfortable about using the camera in wet conditions.. it doesn't feel particularly robust when it comes to weather sealing in comparison with the EF lenses I'm using (and the RF 70-200). I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to the R5 which, from some research, it is claimed to be better sealed than the R6. Does anyone have any experience of using either in very wet conditions? My old 5DII worked brilliantly in some very tough weather and I don't want to worry about getting my camera out - just want to worry about getting a good shot :).
I think canon claim the R5 is sealed to similar levels as the 5d4.
Not sure what that means though.

This guy seems to think it's very good.

Lens Rentals | Blog

Last edited:
Be careful with weather sealing and what protection you think this offers you.

A couple of years ago I was using my 5D Mark IV with EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens to photograph an event my running club was staging. It was pouring down with rain, I figured I'd be okay as my whole setup was weather sealed, after around 20 minutes the camera powered off and wouldn't switch back on.

Long story short, I had the camera in a container of rice for 2 days with all compartments open and it finally recovered. I spoke to Canon and their only response was 'weather sealing does not mean waterproof'. Even when I pushed further and asked whether weather sealed means it's okay to use them in the rain they wouldn't commit to an answer.

So even today with my R5 and RF lenses I'm very cautious about using them in the rain. I have a Canon rain cover but it doesn't fit the new setup so I'll be looking to find something similar to use with the R5. I photograph our local park run so quite often I'll be out in the rain for a couple of hours.

A couple of years ago I was using my 5D Mark IV with EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens to photograph an event my running club was staging. It was pouring down with rain, I figured I'd be okay as my whole setup was weather sealed, after around 20 minutes the camera powered off and wouldn't switch back on.

Long story short, I had the camera in a container of rice for 2 days with all compartments open and it finally recovered. I spoke to Canon and their only response was 'weather sealing does not mean waterproof'. Even when I pushed further and asked whether weather sealed means it's okay to use them in the rain they wouldn't commit to an answer.

So even today with my R5 and RF lenses I'm very cautious about using them in the rain. I have a Canon rain cover but it doesn't fit the new setup so I'll be looking to find something similar to use with the R5. I photograph our local park run so quite often I'll be out in the rain for a couple of hours.

I was reluctant to use my 1dx3 in the rain so I'll be keeping my R5 in its bag during inclement weather.
The reason I quoted the 5d4 was because it is similar to the 5d2.

Does anybody think there will be any deals at the virtual photo show this weekend?
I'm not sure, I doubt we'll see any reduction in the R5 and R6 as they're still in the early adopter stage I'd say. But we can always hope. :)

There are rumours another firmware update is coming for the R5, maybe next month, which among other things will enable 1080P at 120fps.
I'm hoping to see announcements on the new RF lenses (or even bodies) that we will see in 2021.

I watched the video (mostly) and it's bound to help me get birds in flight more consistently.

I was hoping it would cover how quickly get the AF point back to center spot from group AF.
I'd like to think it was possible to configure a button or the control ring to do this.
In fact, I'm still guessing whether I have the spot AF in the center of the frame or not.

The r5 is a bit more solidly built and has better weather sealing. It definitely feels a little more robust. But I’ve used the r6 in the pouring rain shooting a football match and it survived without any issues.
Thanks Jonathan.. I like the idea that the R5 is more solidly built - I might be looking to upgrade. I'm not exactly delicate with my kit!

I was reluctant to use my 1dx3 in the rain so I'll be keeping my R5 in its bag during inclement weather.
The reason I quoted the 5d4 was because it is similar to the 5d2.

Thanks @Hanley and @soupdragon I do try to cover the camera as much as possible when the weather isn't great but I want to feel comfortable to use it and I don't seem to have that confidence with the R6 as it does feel a little flimsy. Shame I can't pop into a shop and manhandle the R5 to compare.

I watched the video (mostly) and it's bound to help me get birds in flight more consistently.

I was hoping it would cover how quickly get the AF point back to center spot from group AF.
I'd like to think it was possible to configure a button or the control ring to do this.
In fact, I'm still guessing whether I have the spot AF in the center of the frame or not.
Go into the customise buttons menu.
Select the joystick and ensure it is set to 'Direct AF point selection'.

This allows you to move the focus point around with the joystick and press it to return it to the centre.

Thanks Jonathan.. I like the idea that the R5 is more solidly built - I might be looking to upgrade. I'm not exactly delicate with my kit!

Thanks @Hanley and @soupdragon I do try to cover the camera as much as possible when the weather isn't great but I want to feel comfortable to use it and I don't seem to have that confidence with the R6 as it does feel a little flimsy. Shame I can't pop into a shop and manhandle the R5 to compare.
I read the R6 has weather sealing equivalent to the 6D and the R5 has the equivalent to the 5D Mark IV.

First local walk with R5 and 70-200mm 2.8. I wanted to test out the animal eye-tracking focus. I was extremely impressed. Most are heavy crops and converted to Jpeg from raw. No other adjustments made. The seagull flying overhead is an example of the tracking ability of the R5 even with the trees it remained locked on.

50982198292_5f2ca4dfda_k.jpg50981385933_af5bc0e1a2_k.jpg50982198992_44624911f4_k.jpg50982090941_75b48bb491_k.jpg

First local walk with R5 and 70-200mm 2.8. I wanted to test out the animal eye-tracking focus. I was extremely impressed. Most are heavy crops and converted to Jpeg from raw. No other adjustments made. The seagull flying overhead is an example of the tracking ability of the R5 even with the trees it remained locked on.

View attachment 310222View attachment 310223View attachment 310224View attachment 310225
How are you getting on with the 70-200?
After my initial problems I'm really quite pleased with mine.

View attachment 310222View attachment 310223View attachment 310224View attachment 310225
Yeah i've found it remains locked on even with very busy backgrounds.

Been looking for info regarding being able to assign a button to change between Mech, EFCS and Elec shutter modes, it appears it isn't possible which is a disappointment.

Anyway I stumbled on this discussion regarding the different shutter modes which is interesting and has some conflicting views.

Been looking for info regarding being able to assign a button to change between Mech, EFCS and Elec shutter modes, it appears it isn't possible which is a disappointment.

Anyway I stumbled on this discussion regarding the different shutter modes which is interesting and has some conflicting views.

I gave up with the electronic shutter (mainly) as I struggle to tell how many shots have been taken.
My first attempt with electronic shutter left me with hundreds of pictures I didn't want.

It would be nice if canon included a shutter sound.

Maybe I'm a bit slow out of the gate but it appears it is currently possible to claim cash back on canon rf lenses.
By all accounts I could get £520 back on the ones I've bought.

Anyone doing this?

How are you getting on with the 70-200?
After my initial problems I'm really quite pleased with mine.
Im delighted with it. I was on the fence regarding which 70-200mm to buy. Sigma or the RF F4. As I'm now semi-retired I thought of the 2.8 as a long term investment :) Of course, tech is never a good long term investment but that's what I told my wife when I spent so much :)

Im delighted with it. I was on the fence regarding which 70-200mm to buy. Sigma or the RF F4. As I'm now semi-retired I thought of the 2.8 as a long term investment :) Of course, tech is never a good long term investment but that's what I told my wife when I spent so much :)
LOL
Well lenses do seem to hold their value far longer than cameras although, as you suggest, I wouldn't call either an investment.

LOL
Well lenses do seem to hold their value far longer than cameras although, as you suggest, I wouldn't call either an investment.
So true. I took a gamble leaving fuji after many years and investment in the system. I loved Fuji colours and took the risk of changing. I cannot believe how well rounded the R5 is. It has really exceeded my expectations. My fears regarding the colours and usability compared to Fuji were unwarranted. To say I'm pleased with this change is an understatement! I can't knock the Fuji system and may still grab a used X100F for sentimental reasons.

My problem now is deciding what my next lens will be lol.

So true. I took a gamble leaving fuji after many years and investment in the system. I loved Fuji colours and took the risk of changing. I cannot believe how well rounded the R5 is. It has really exceeded my expectations. My fears regarding the colours and usability compared to Fuji were unwarranted. To say I'm pleased with this change is an understatement! I can't knock the Fuji system and may still grab a used X100F for sentimental reasons.

My problem now is deciding what my next lens will be lol.
I took a gamble (in my mind) by selling my 1dx3 and all my EF glass.
I'm thrilled to bits with the R5 image quality and as for the lenses, well, it's a revelation.
It's all a touch expensive though.

As for my next lens, that's a head scratcher.
I'm not overly enamoured with the 100-500 spec and, as of yet, there are no fast telephoto primes in RF mount.
And I'll be honest, 200mm isn't long enough for wildlife.

"Decision decisions"

As for my next lens, that's a head scratcher.
I'm not overly enamoured with the 100-500 spec and, as of yet, there are no fast telephoto primes in RF mount.
And I'll be honest, 200mm isn't long enough for wildlife.

"Decision decisions"
The 100-500 is amazing.
I was starting to get buyers remorse a little, but now I've been out a few times with the lens I absolutely love it and feel it was worth the investment. Did I pay over the odds as it's an RF lens? sure, but I pay over the odds with every Apple product I buy :D

The 100-500 is amazing.
I was starting to get buyers remorse a little, but now I've been out a few times with the lens I absolutely love it and feel it was worth the investment. Did I pay over the odds as it's an RF lens? sure, but I pay over the odds with every Apple product I buy :D
Well I trust you on your assessment but f7.1.............Hmmm!
I know first hand the R5 has great high iso ability but it's not something I like to use myself. Particularly with the amount of cropping I do.

Maybe I'm a bit slow out of the gate but it appears it is currently possible to claim cash back on canon rf lenses.
By all accounts I could get £520 back on the ones I've bought.

Anyone doing this?
I thought I was eligible for this.......However as I couldn’t source my R5 in the uk I got one from Panamoz.......had an email from Canon saying the R5 serial number is an issue and can I re confirm......so looks like the non EU body disqualifies you from the lens cashback....

My beef with Canon is that I was on the waiting list for a 100-500 and the email telling me it was back in stock with cashback didnt make it clear you had to have purchased a body ( it’s all in the small print)

annoying when they had hiked the price to £2960 and Panamoz have them back in stock at around £2650.......

Well I trust you on your assessment but f7.1.............Hmmm!
I know first hand the R5 has great high iso ability but it's not something I like to use myself. Particularly with the amount of cropping I do.
You know it's only 7.1 at the very top end don't you?

It’s worth noting that even up to a focal length of around 350mm, you still get an aperture of f/5.6. It’s only when you’re over 400mm using the RF 100-500mm and shooting at 500mm that the aperture closes down to by ⅔-stop to f/7.1.

Has anyone used one of these with an adapter? Thoughts?

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Canon EF Fit

Back