Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Anyone still using the R ?
How’s the AF, particularly eye AF with latest firmware.
Or have you felt the need to upgrade to R6 or even R5

I still have an R but not used since I got the 6 a couple of weeks back.

Eye AF on the R is absolutely fine in most cases, it really is. However it only works on people i.e. not animals and is not even in the same league as the 6 for moving subjects, which frankly is amazing.

I think the R is a really good camera and produces lovely images, for quick on the fly uses though I never got used to it fully. I like the layout of the 6 far more.

Having said that, I originally figured I would move the R on after getting the 6, however I think I’ll actually sell the 5Diii and keep the R for landscapes.

I still have an R but not used since I got the 6 a couple of weeks back.

Eye AF on the R is absolutely fine in most cases, it really is. However it only works on people i.e. not animals and is not even in the same league as the 6 for moving subjects, which frankly is amazing.

I think the R is a really good camera and produces lovely images, for quick on the fly uses though I never got used to it fully. I like the layout of the 6 far more.

Having said that, I originally figured I would move the R on after getting the 6, however I think I’ll actually sell the 5Diii and keep the R for landscapes.

Thanks Jamie. That’s really helpful.

Ergonomics.......I can't emphasise enough how comfortable the R6 is to hold. I've now had several outings with the 40mm Sigma Art attached and carried it over many miles just holding the grip with a wrist strap attached for safety. That lens weighs 1.26kg and it's still more comfortable than any Sony or Fuji i've had with much smaller lenses attached, no more wiggling around of the hand to try and stay comfortable.

I had the R and now have the R5. I found the R slower than I expected for action although on paper it didn't look too bad. I didn't particularly like the colours I was getting out of it, however I now think it was the rendering by Lightroom that was at fault.

I found the button to be at a slightly awkward angle for back button focusing. Remember you won't have the IBIS too.

It may be that I didn't try hard enough with it, but I felt that I didn't have enough customisable buttons with the R, and ended up buying the control ring adapter. Now I have the R5, I don't feel I need the control ring.

I have the R and love it. I got a free rental of the R6 last weekend and although it's clearly a bit faster in many areas I didn't find it sufficiently compelling to warrant the uplift in cost. The latest firmware on the R makes the AF almost as good as the R6 - eye tracking works well for human subjects. I also felt the R feels better built than the R6, but I assume the R5 would be the closer equivalent.

I have the R and love it. I got a free rental of the R6 last weekend and although it's clearly a bit faster in many areas I didn't find it sufficiently compelling to warrant the uplift in cost. The latest firmware on the R makes the AF almost as good as the R6 - eye tracking works well for human subjects. I also felt the R feels better built than the R6, but I assume the R5 would be the closer equivalent.

I got the R5 on rental, and while I did indeed like it... Didn't totally blow me away. I didn't get chance to try out the 8K video but I can imagine it's amazing, the speed was really good but... the R is still pretty good. I actually missed the four way pad and the Touch Bar on the R5 surprisingly!

I love the way that with the R5 you can quickly switch from the usual focusing to the eye AF. Can you also do that on the R6 - set up double back button focusing?

I was photographing a squirrel this morning when a heron flew over - taken through glass and the eye AF picked it out brilliantly. Massive crop.

20210228-BCR_3778_1_DxO.jpg

Then I had a walk near the beach. Sadly the tide was too high for me to get down to beach level.

20210228-BCR_3871_1_DxO.jpg

Both pics on the EF 100-400 ii.

First long exposure I've taken since buying my RP a few weeks ago. Obviously taken locally and nothing overly special.
Have to say the flip out screen and touch screen do make it rather easier for shooting stuff like this (coming from a 6D that is).

Can't wait to get back out and shoot properly soon.

RP with EF 24-105L on Viltrox adaptor
IMG_3691a.jpg

Here's a question. The EOS RP (and other R series cameras) can charge it's battery while connected via USB.
If you were to use the camera connected to a computer, either for tethering or while using it via the Canon EOS Webcam software for streaming, would it take power over the USB so the battery didn't run out?

Here's a question. The EOS RP (and other R series cameras) can charge it's battery while connected via USB.
If you were to use the camera connected to a computer, either for tethering or while using it via the Canon EOS Webcam software for streaming, would it take power over the USB so the battery didn't run out?
I don't think it can.
I seem to recall it requires a higher power than computer usb or plug in phone chargers.

I don't think it can.
I seem to recall it requires a higher power than computer usb or plug in phone chargers.
Yeah, I saw that somewhere. It was suggested the camera needed a 10-20watt charger was needed. Something equivalent to a laptop power supply.
I've seen a few people suggest they can get over an hour of video footage recorded on one battery, but if you're just streaming via the USB (or HDMI) and not recording to card you might get more. I wonder if in the USB-tethered scenario the battery might be "trickle-charged" or just kept topped up by the low power over USB.
Might be worth an experiment.

If you are charging over USB then you can't use the camera. If you turn the camera on charging stops. I was hoping you could plug it in using USB-C and charge and shoot at the same time for my astro stuff but unfortunately not.

You don't necessarily need a wall charger either. I charge mine using an Anker Powercore. As long as it is PD then it charges.

Interesting. Either something they've changed in the R5/R6 or I'm doing something wrong with the RP.

Interesting. Either something they've changed in the R5/R6 or I'm doing something wrong with the RP.
Maybe try asking the question on the dpreview forums, it's a busy site with lots of well informed users

Using USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (sold separately), you can charge Battery Pack LP-E6NHor LP-E6N without removing it from the camera. The camera can also be powered. Note that Battery Pack LP-E6 cannot be charged this way.
Supplying power
To power the camera without charging, set the camera power switch to
Power on
. However, batteries are charged during auto power off.

[
Supplying power
] is displayed on the screen while the camera is powered this way.

To change from powering the camera to charging, set the camera power switch to
Power off
manual

Using USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (sold separately), you can charge Battery Pack LP-E6NHor LP-E6N without removing it from the camera. The camera can also be powered. Note that Battery Pack LP-E6 cannot be charged this way.
Supplying power
To power the camera without charging, set the camera power switch to
Power on
. However, batteries are charged during auto power off.

[
Supplying power
] is displayed on the screen while the camera is powered this way.

To change from powering the camera to charging, set the camera power switch to
Power off
manual
That makes it seem like it's only possible with the LP-E6N batteries. So it wouldn't work with the LP-E17 in the RP.

many thanks for the feedback. (y)

yes, started with a Classic Neg copy preset, then bumped exposure and warmed up the white balance from there.
Just as a matter of interest, what is a Classic Neg copy preset?

Just as a matter of interest, what is a Classic Neg copy preset?

classic negaive is a type of film roll from fujifilm. recently they have added it to their extensive list of film simulation presets for some of their newer cameras. Someone i follow on youtube created a bunch of lightroom presets imitating some of these film sims. They arnt perfect, but pretty close. i can dig out the link if youre interested.

classic negaive is a type of film roll from fujifilm. recently they have added it to their extensive list of film simulation presets for some of their newer cameras. Someone i follow on youtube created a bunch of lightroom presets imitating some of these film sims. They arnt perfect, but pretty close. i can dig out the link if youre interested.
Well that's kind of you but I don't have lightroom.
Actually, I only use Canon DPP as it's all I have.

I'd be interested mate

Back