Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Download Canon DPP4, pretty sure it shows the focus point, you could then screen grab a shot with the red focus square if needed.
Never, used this software before. How do you show a focus point?

When you have a raw image displayed in the editing screen under the preview menu select AF point.
It is possible to show all active or just focused.

I'd urge all R5 users to adopt DPP4 (for raw conversion at least)
It works great and is a doddle to use plus the lens correction profiles are available from canon.

Last edited:
I browsed the internet and found one other person had the exact same problem (not commonplace).
I'm sure it's not the R5 as my 85mm 1.2 never ever misses focus.

If you get the time and enthusiasm, can you use the lens at 200mm and take a couple of snaps of something over 150 ft away and let me know how it goes?
So this is the image from my home office window, see the red Ford KA in the distance.
I took a shot of this car with my RF 70-200, at 200mm, focus set to SERVO
2021-02-25 11.46.40.jpg

Do these help at all? One at 70mm other at around 200mm.
50978339228_6dabfc7c15_k.jpg50979042036_e4c45b7175_h.jpg

Thanks guys.
My lens performs nothing like yours.
I'll be home in two hours so I'll have another play.

If I had taken the picture of the Ford KA with my set up the number plate on the Renault would have been in sharp focus.
As with the shot of the wall corner, the apex of the roof on the next house would have been sharp.

I'm really fed up now.

Thanks guys.
My lens performs nothing like yours.
I'll be home in two hours so I'll have another play.

If I had taken the picture of the Ford KA with my set up the number plate on the Renault would have been in sharp focus.
As with the shot of the wall corner, the apex of the roof on the next house would have been sharp.

I'm really fed up now.
Where did you buy it from?

London Camera Exchange.
I'm just going to try and put up an image I found from someone else who is having the problem.
I've always found LCE very helpful. I bought a camera from them to use on holiday but I was not happy with the images. They gave a full refund without any debate. So, best of luck.

oof1.JPG

The focus point is on the grille of the yellow taxi.
As you can see, the Merc number plate is sharper and I'd say the VW van plate was sharper too.

This is what I'm seeing.

Ok, went home, removed the batteries, reset the camera and put all the settings back the way I like them and..................

Problem solved.

I'm now wondering if updating the lens firmware without resetting the camera has something to do with it.
I'll take it out at the weekend (weather permitting) and give it a proper workout but for now, my thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate it.

Ok, went home, removed the batteries, reset the camera and put all the settings back the way I like them and..................

Problem solved.

I'm now wondering if updating the lens firmware without resetting the camera has something to do with it.
I'll take it out at the weekend (weather permitting) and give it a proper workout but for now, my thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate it.
Great news for you. Hope all continues to work well.

Problem solved.

Fantastic news!!!

Great shot....just wondered what were the settings........?

ISO 100, SS 1/160, f11 and 500mm

On a tripod using a gimbal head, IS turned off and I used manual focus, I used my Godox flash trigger to remotely trigger the shutter so there was no movement. Also used electronic shutter to make sure there no was shutter shock.

This is 10 images stacked in Photoshop, no other colour edits other than a slight tweak to the highlights and shadows.

ISO 100, SS 1/160, f11 and 500mm

On a tripod using a gimbal head, IS turned off and I used manual focus, I used my Godox flash trigger to remotely trigger the shutter so there was no movement. Also used electronic shutter to make sure there no was shutter shock.

This is 10 images stacked in Photoshop, no other colour edits other than a slight tweak to the highlights and shadows.
Thats really good.........I’d assumed a longish exposure but will look at the stacking option.....thanks......

Adaptors now appear to be coming through, I got one yesterday on a non pre order and then within 60 minutes my pre order from another store was despatched.

Do I need to turn IBIS off when a lens with IS is mounted to an R5?

Does anybody think there will be any deals at the virtual photo show this weekend?

Having owned an 5DII since it was introduced I decided it was time for an upgrade and I pre-ordered an R6 when it was first announced last year based on the fact that I mainly shoot landscapes and it's recommendation as being great in low light conditions sounded ideal for my style of image. It arrived bang on time and I've been really happy with the results I have been able to achieve during a pandemic. However, during bad weather and snow I feel much more uncomfortable about using the camera in wet conditions.. it doesn't feel particularly robust when it comes to weather sealing in comparison with the EF lenses I'm using (and the RF 70-200). I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to the R5 which, from some research, it is claimed to be better sealed than the R6. Does anyone have any experience of using either in very wet conditions? My old 5DII worked brilliantly in some very tough weather and I don't want to worry about getting my camera out - just want to worry about getting a good shot :).

Back