Canon EOS R Series Cameras

.... Yes, either way is fine but ALWAYS switch off the body power before you do either mount or unmount anything.

Buying an EF adapter for each lens, Rich, could be mighty expensive and if you also shoot with an EF mount body it doesn't really help.

I have just had an email from Wex to say my EOS R Control Ring Adapter is on its way to me - Yippee!! This means I can customise everything to match my 1DX-2, and vica-versa, as much as possible so that I can rely mostly on muscle memory.

Why? Does Canon actually state that?

And thinking about the adapters thing again, the routine with Extenders is to always to attach to the lens first, then to the camera. Not sure what difference it actually makes but making a complete break from the camera is supposed to stop it getting confused. Maybe there's some recommendation like that from Canon?

I’ve seen people complain about the lack of joystick... but I’ve seen no one who’s used the touch screen for any amount of time complain. It’s just a better interface, faster and more precise.

I’m surprised the slide bar doesn’t ‘just work’, my guess is that if it doesn’t improve shortly it will be short lived.

.... I have never used the joystick on any of the camera bodies I have owned - I either just use the centre AF points in ONE SHOT or focus manually. All my lenses allow a manual focus override without having to switch the lens to MF. But today I set the R to Touch & Drag in the Right area and tried it out but because I use my righthand thumb for Back Button Focus and also to toggle between ONE SHOT and SERVO I found it interfered. So tomorrow I'm going to see if it works better for me with the Left side as Active Area and use my lefthand thumb.

It certainly responds instantly and seamlessly and I found it reliable. If anyone doesn't know already, hitting the delete button (dustbin icon) instantly returns the AF to the centre.

Regarding the slide bar (the Multi-function Bar), I haven't found it reliable when I have tried it with ISO options but I shall perservere before either giving it up or trying it to set other options such as over/under exposure compensation. It's not as good as I expected it to be but I think it might improve if I give it a chance and then get used to it. We'll see, time will tell.

And thinking about the adapters thing again, the routine with Extenders is to always to attach to the lens first, then to the camera. Not sure what difference it actually makes but making a complete break from the camera is supposed to stop it getting confused. Maybe there's some recommendation like that from Canon?

.... Yes, I have seen various Canon officials in videos state that you should always switch power off before mounting/unmounting. It's rather like it being bad practice to physically unplug your computer before you have shut down via its operating system software.

Mounting the Extender (which is lensed) on your lens first is what Canon recommend. It's a very easy habit to adopt.

I haven't heard the same about adapters so far but they are not lensed (no optics) and become part of the body rather than the lens. My EF adapter lives on my R body until I mount an RF lens but I still always switch off/on as it is now habit.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4

Last edited:

This might have something to do with protecting the sensor? When the camera is switched off, the shutter closes covering the sensor. Wouldn’t really offer much protection from an impact, but probably reduces the chance of dust bunnies.

I’ve always turned off the camera to change lenses etc. Perhaps it’s not necessary, but it’s just something I do without thinking these days.

Simon.

Today I took my EOS R + EF 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III and went for a long country walk in the Dorset hills with a friend's black Labrador dog 'Casper' who is very well trained and very obedient - I have permission to borrow him whenever I want.

Firstly I never use a camera strap other than a Peak Design Slider with Arca-Swiss clamp and quick release lever which I only use to hang camera or lens from if I need both hands for something or to help carry the weight while walking without shooting. So I was relying on the R body's grip with the lens pointing downwards and this inevitably tested the body's grip design. As even the R haters have reported, its grip is the very best you could ever want and you simply don't need to buy a battery grip extra to improve it.

I sent Casper ahead, stopped him at a distance where he waited for my next command and then called him back towards me. I shot a non-stop burst of 45 images of him running (not fast) towards me on SERVO and at 1/2000s. Enlarging to 100% view on the camera LCD screen, every shot is sharp - I am waiting for CR3 support from Capture One before I convert the RAW files and process. I can't tell whether the camera was shooting at 5fps or 3fps (I am used to 14fps).

Something else which I am very pleased with about the EOS R is that there was no buffering whatsoever. Each RAW file shot in the burst is 38Mb.

For the first time I used a SDXC UHS-II card, as recommended by Canon. It's a Sony Tough which writes at speeds of up to 299MB/s and it felt faster than fast! But perhaps that's a placebo effect?

Last edited:
Rob
I collected my R from HDEW cameras today and am reading the instructions and playing with it now. I would be really interested in how you get on with the control ring adaptor.

Rob
I collected my R from HDEW cameras today and am reading the instructions and playing with it now. I would be really interested in how you get on with the control ring adaptor.

.... Hi Gordon,
The camera feels great doesn't it - Feels solid build quality and comfortably ergonomic. The RF lens mount feels stiffer but more secure with more rigidity between body and lens.

The Control Ring feels just right on the RF 24-105mm and so I expect the adapter's ring to feel the same with it's tactile soft click positions.

Meanwhile here is Canon's Rudy 'Kermit' Winston explaining about it and also the Multi-function Bar :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSV0Vzh2Rvk

Last edited:
Well I spent last night reading the R handbook then went to sleep and forgot everything I read!! As a friend once told me "old age doesn't come alone!
This morning I gave the camera it's first outing and being a numpty forgot to put a fresh battery in so had limited time but still had some fun. I intended to shoot some general landscapes and a few birds but when I got to the beach the kite surfers were out so they got my attention.
I used the 100 - 400 mkii with a 1.4 converter which still did not fill the frame so the shots posted here are quite heavily cropped.
Not unexpectedly I was all fingers and thumbs but that is me not the camera. Acquiring focus was nowhere near as quick as with the 1DXii but I would not expect it to be. Once locked on it did a pretty decent job of keeping focus and the burst speed was acceptable for my needs.
I need a lot more hands on time to get used to the controls but am happy with the feel of the camera and its general performance.
A quick question for those of you who have owned it a bit longer, can I get rid of the level indicator in the viewfinder and still show the histogram? At the moment I can only see both or neither.
The pictures here are purely to show my first images with the camera and not examples of what I would see as good shots.

_71A4300.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

_71A4306.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

_71A4380-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Nicely done Gordon.

You can customise the viewfinder to take away the level indicator and just leave the histogram. It’s somewhere in the custom menu settings.

Simon.

A quick question for those of you who have owned it a bit longer, can I get rid of the level indicator in the viewfinder and still show the histogram? At the moment I can only see both or neither.

You can customise the viewfinder to take away the level indicator and just leave the histogram. It’s somewhere in the custom menu settings.
Simon.

.... Page 397 in the User Guide PDF or quite deeply buried : Yellow Menu (spanner icon) > Tab 4 > Shooting info display > Select screen info settings > Edit the screen.

Elsewhere you can select 2 sizes of display for the histogram in the EVF and it's slightly transparent too. Canon have given these user options a lot of thought.

At first I really hated the huge level indicator but now I like it a lot and especially when shooting close-up or anything with a horizon. You get used to it and can look through it.

Last edited:
I used the 100 - 400 mkii with a 1.4 converter which still did not fill the frame so the shots posted here are quite heavily cropped.

Not unexpectedly I was all fingers and thumbs but that is me not the camera. Acquiring focus was nowhere near as quick as with the 1DXii but I would not expect it to be. Once locked on it did a pretty decent job of keeping focus and the burst speed was acceptable for my needs.

I need a lot more hands on time to get used to the controls but am happy with the feel of the camera and its general performance.

_71A4380-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Very good first ever set, Gordon.

As you say, the 1DX-2 is always going to be quicker to first acquire focus but it might be worth checking what the default priority has been set by Canon on the R as the default, and then match it to your IDX-2 (or vica-versa). I think I have set mine to give first shot priority to focus on my 1DX-2.

I find that when first switching the R on with a 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III mounted, the AF is slow to initially acquire focus. With the 2x III mounted IS behaves with more wobble than in a wet T-shirt contest - I haven't got to bottom (reason for!) of that yet.

Your seagull inflight shot has worked well and so I was curious to see your settings but your Flickr page says it is private. Plenty of scope there to give it a touch more contrast and 'bite'. Did you fire a burst at it?

In further answer to your Control Ring question, mine is out for delivery on Monday and I shall report my first impressions here.

Last edited:
Good call Rob re checking the settings against the 1DX, I hadn't thought of that. I have now made the R images public on Flickr. They were only private as I didn't think they were worth opening up to the world and his dog, I will remove them totally in a few days.
I go to Alaska on Wednesday and will use this very much as a secondary camera, possibly to get static shots or if the eagles are too close for the 600mm.To be honest having never been I am not sure what to expect which is always dodgy as you then try to be prepared for everything!

Good call Rob re checking the settings against the 1DX, I hadn't thought of that. I have now made the R images public on Flickr. They were only private as I didn't think they were worth opening up to the world and his dog, I will remove them totally in a few days.

I go to Alaska on Wednesday and will use this very much as a secondary camera, possibly to get static shots or if the eagles are too close for the 600mm.To be honest having never been I am not sure what to expect which is always dodgy as you then try to be prepared for everything!

.... Alaska for Eagles! You lucky barsteward! I'm NOT jealous, much!

I think the R makes an excellent second body and when mounted on a big lens on a tripod (or hide support), the balance and functionality is fine. Its ability to shoot RAW 38Mb files offers high quality images.

In matching settings as much as possible between camera bodies I am thinking 'muscle memory' so gradually one has to consciously think about what to do less and less.

Your seagull shot looks better on Flickr for some reason - It's fresh and crisp. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very interesting what this guy has to say about Fv-mode at about 8:10.

Overall he gives a balanced review and similar to Steve Huff, his conclusion is all about choosing the right horse-for-the-course camera and what you feel most comfortable with.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNMjY0dP3w

Meanwhile, the more I use mine, the more I like it.

Struggling to find any time to get out with the camera just now :(

Struggling to find any time to get out with the camera just now :(

.... The light is poor these last few days down in Dorset, but I have set up my EF 500mm + 2x on a Gitzo gimbal on a Skimmer base on an open window sill with tank camo net curtain overlooking my 'wildlife' (spelt 'lazy-bugger-no-maintenance') garden. All I have to do is mount either my EOS R or my 1DX-2 body. For this use I am mostly shooting with my R body as it is physically totally supported and balanced with the fluid gimbal head.

For those of you on Facebook there is a group 'Canon EOS R' and some photo examples posted which show off how well the R is performing both on EF and RF lenses. Many members are including their camera settings. Obviously there is also some rubbish posted too but overall it's good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/421157698288581/

Facebook is as good or bad as you want to make it, it's up to you.

Last edited:
Yes I'm tempted as well. I've been using a 5d3 since they came out along with a deeply frustrating xt-1 (love the images, but really struggle with the usability). Mainly a hobbyist but I do some paid work, mainly corporate headshots, automotive, product and people. My personal photography interests are mainly street shooting, people and portraits with little motorsport and landscape.
Lens wise I'm 24-105 l kit, sigma art 35 and 85, canon 70-200 mk2 and 16-35, these work for me so it's just the body. I guess I'm holding back a little as I fear as soon as I buy the R canon will bring out the R + with better specs, but then I'm not sure I need more... I never use the second card slot, I don't need in camera stabilisation (I think), 8 FPS is more than I have now and I've never needed more (again I think).
It'll be interesting to see if many come onto the second hand market in the next few months as I'd see that as a measure that it's not meeting folks expectations.

Yes I'm tempted as well. I've been using a 5d3 since they came out along with a deeply frustrating xt-1 (love the images, but really struggle with the usability). Mainly a hobbyist but I do some paid work, mainly corporate headshots, automotive, product and people. My personal photography interests are mainly street shooting, people and portraits with little motorsport and landscape.

Lens wise I'm 24-105 l kit, sigma art 35 and 85, canon 70-200 mk2 and 16-35, these work for me so it's just the body. I guess I'm holding back a little as I fear as soon as I buy the R canon will bring out the R + with better specs, but then I'm not sure I need more... I never use the second card slot, I don't need in camera stabilisation (I think), 8 FPS is more than I have now and I've never needed more (again I think).
It'll be interesting to see if many come onto the second hand market in the next few months as I'd see that as a measure that it's not meeting folks expectations.

.... Obviously only you can decide whether the EOS R is the best option for you. But for what it's worth, although I have no experience of Sigma/Tamron EF mount lenses I can report that the EOS R with its adapter works flawlessly with EF lenses. In fact some of the EF lenses can potentially deliver even better results due to the R body's performance.

You mention 8fps but be aware that is the absolute maximum and subject to Canon's stated as forthcoming firmware, you can't currently get that rate when tracking. As a wildlife photographer it has been the biggest negative for me but doubtless I am spoilt by my 14fps on 1DX-2 option. Having said that, I am now finding that by rearranging my settings I can achieve 5fps and perhaps occasionally 8fps (I can't tell). Hell yeah, I used to manage very well with 7fps on my 70D not that long ago. More fps offers more image choices from a burst but that's all. I have just now tested the fps performance on a perched Sparrow by shooting a burst of 8 images as he turned his head and also his body < Every shot looks absolutely sharp reviewing at 100% in the EVF. That was on a EF 500mm on 'tripod' (see my post #140). Also, if you read my post #125 I tested a burst of 45 frames of a dog running towards me and every one looks sharp on a handheld EF 100-400mm L II.

Furthermore, each image is about 38Mb (I only shoot RAW) and so the full-frame image quality looks very promising indeed and @srhmoto Simon's posted images in this thread also support high image quality.

Since I last reported about swopping to a SDXC UHS-II card which can read up to 299Mb/s, I can confirm that such a card does make a big difference if you need it, just as a CFast card delivers faster performance than a CF card.

An announcement from Canon about the next R version is strongly rumoured for the end of next January with a release later in the year but we simply don't know whether it will what any of us would want. IF it is, I'll seriously consider trading my EOS R for it.

There is no such thing as a perfect camera (not even Canon's flagship 1DX-2) but those who are actually using the EOS R are singing its praises as well as accepting its limitations. I am.

Last edited:
.... Obviously only you can decide whether the EOS R is the best option for you. But for what it's worth, although I have no experience of Sigma/Tamron EF mount lenses I can report that the EOS R with its adapter works flawlessly with EF lenses. In fact some of the EF lenses can potentially deliver even better results due to the R body's performance.

You mention 8fps but be aware that is the absolute maximum and subject to Canon's stated as forthcoming firmware, you can't currently get that rate when tracking. As a wildlife photographer it has been the biggest negative for me but doubtless I am spoilt by my 14fps on 1DX-2 option. Having said that, I am now finding that by rearranging my settings I can achieve 5fps and perhaps occasionally 8fps (I can't tell). Hell yeah, I used to manage very well with 7fps on my 70D not that long ago. More fps offers more image choices from a burst but that's all. I have just now tested the fps performance on a perched Sparrow by shooting a burst of 8 images as he turned his head and also his body < Every shot looks absolutely sharp reviewing at 100% in the EVF. That was on a EF 500mm on 'tripod' (see my post #140). Also, if you read my post #125 I tested a burst of 45 frames of a dog running towards me and every one looks sharp on a handheld EF 100-400mm L II.

Furthermore, each image is about 38Mb (I only shoot RAW) and so the full-frame image quality looks very promising indeed and @srhmoto Simon's posted images in this thread also support high image quality.

Since I last reported about swopping to a SDXC UHS-II card which can read up to 299Mb/s, I can confirm that such a card does make a big difference if you need it, just as a CFast card delivers faster performance than a CF card.

An announcement from Canon about the next R version is strongly rumoured for the end of next January with a release later in the year but we simply don't know whether it will what any of us would want. IF it is, I'll seriously consider trading my EOS R for it.

There is no such thing as a perfect camera (not even Canon's flagship 1DX-2) but those who are actually using the EOS R are singing its praises as well as accepting its limitations. I am.

thanks for the feedback. is the crop option available in stills?

thanks for the feedback. is the crop option available in stills?

.... I only shoot stills, never video. Crop option? It's a full-frame sensor when shooting stills and I am unaware of any 'crop' option. Perhaps when you mount an EF-S lens a 'crop' is done? Sorry but I don't have any EF-S lenses to check.

.... I only shoot stills, never video. Crop option? It's a full-frame sensor when shooting stills and I am unaware of any 'crop' option. Perhaps when you mount an EF-S lens a 'crop' is done? Sorry but I don't have any EF-S lenses to check.

In some cameras you can switch it to crop mode to gain some extra “reach” at the expense of megapixels. It’s quite handy at times.

In some cameras you can switch it to crop mode to gain some extra “reach” at the expense of megapixels. It’s quite handy at times.

.... I can see that that option would be very useful in some circumstances, especially for wildlife which is often distant and when you would later crop in post-processing anyway.

But I found when I compared enlargements after shooting Short-eared Owls with either my crop-sensor 7D-2 or full-frame 5D-4, that the FF higher megapixel results were always slightly superior. That's partly why I sold my crop-sensor 7D-2 and went full-frame. Even the lower 22 megapixel of the 1DX-2 delivers higher IQ.

Perhaps it's easily possible in mirrorless cameras, I don't know enough about it or exactly what switching to video actually does in that respect. It could be an attractive option which Canon introduce in the future as long as it doesn't adversely compromise other features.

If you attach a EF-S lens via the adaptor the camera will auto crop to 11.6 meg files.

There’s a 1.7 crop on 4K video

If you attach a EF-S lens via the adaptor the camera will auto crop to 11.6 meg files.

There’s a 1.7 crop on 4K video

I probably wasn’t clear enough in my original question. Not interested in crop lenses, just wondering if there’s an option to manually set the camera to go into crop mode with Ef lenses when shooting stills.

I don’t really see what use a crop option is. I’ve got it on my D850 but never use it, I just crop the original file.

I don’t really see what use a crop option is. I’ve got it on my D850 but never use it, I just crop the original file.

in some cases it can be easier to frame the shot. your d850 has an optical vf so not so much benefit there.

I assume that the EVF would still give you full coverage not place a mask on it like a DSLR.

Just had a quick scan through the manual Jonathon, and it looks like you can use the crop function for photos.

Simon.

.... Found it! Pages 80 and 610 in the User Guide PDF.

But if shooting RAW the pixel count nosedives down from 30 to 11Mp! Surely that really compromises image quality on stills. I think it's in the camera primarily for video but either way you have the choice. Definitely not for me - Better to capture the max RAW data on Full-Frame sensor and crop to enlarge as desired in post-processing. As I posted earlier, I found that the image quality when shooting full-frame on my 5D-4 when enlarged to match crop-sensor image on 7D-2 was superior on the full-frame < I think that's a well established fact and it's why photographers graduate to shooting on full-frame.

Last edited:
My preordered EOS R Control Ring Adapter arrived this morning from Wex. Box includes a soft pouch but one without a belt loop.

Here is some helpful info about it :
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...s26XN5X7wfcypL1-91nuSknINtm3Jt6Xd03B3EQZGIdwQ

I haven't tested it fully yet but my comments so far are :

- As said in the above link, by default out of the box it is set to Off.

- It is extremely stiff when mounting on the R body but that results in more secure and rigid connections between body and lens.

- The feel of the knurled control ring itself is very enjoyably tactile and the 'soft-click' just right.

- If you were concerned that the ring would be too close to the body for easy access and control, you need not be. It presents itself easily to your left hand.

- The Control Ring's position on the adapter is easier to access than on the front of my RF 24-105mm lens.

- My initial impression is that it works very well to set it so that adjustments which it controls only occur when you also press the shutter button halfway down - Indicated by the down-arrow icon in the Menu.

Having this Control Ring really breathes extra life into your existing EF lenses - It's a big bonus.

Am off to see how it performs when Exposure Compensation is selected.

Last edited:
Back