Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Canon will sell a shed-load of these. Very impressive camera for the money (y)

Mirrorless cameras should be cheaper, they're certainly cheaper to manufacture after R&D costs have been recovered, with no costly mirror-box and bulky/heavy/costly optical viewfinder gubbins. And since Canon makes their own sensors, they have full control over that expensive component and are noted for using basically the same sensors reworked for different models for scale economies. I guess Sony could follow the same path there.

Canon will sell a shed-load of these. Very impressive camera for the money (y)

Mirrorless cameras should be cheaper, they're certainly cheaper to manufacture after R&D costs have been recovered, with no costly mirror-box and bulky/heavy/costly optical viewfinder gubbins. And since Canon makes their own sensors, they have full control over that expensive component and are noted for using basically the same sensors reworked for different models for scale economies. I guess Sony could follow the same path there.
Sony already follow the same path! They make there own sensors! And supply them to everyone except canon!

Need to keep checking the title to make sure it's not a Sony thread!

I wonder what price the likes of HDEW or eginity will have these going for? I'm genuinely interested, as we know the price will come down over time either way and it's off to a decent starting point with the adapter inc. If only it had IBIS .... I'd be almost convinced for sure.

What I like: The touch screen, the AF seems pretty nippy, knowing this sensor has proven to be very good for low light [though perhaps not so much for DR] - The adapter chucked in so I could start out with cheapo EF primes to get me used to the system, the fact there's a bajillion EF lenses already available new and used that will work just fine with this, would be great for adapting old lenses once cheap dumb adapters become available, and they will, the size and light weight - snazzy coloured add on grip!!! ... ok, maybe not that :D

What I don't: No IBIS

Not much to complain about for my needs. But then a 6DmkII would cover most of this for cheaper, just wouldn't be so great for adapting cheap old lenses

Wait 3 months the EOS-RP will be <£1k at Panamoz and e-infin

That's what i was thinking, they already have the R at 1599 inc the EF adapter on HDEW, which competes nicely with those sites but ships out of the UK

N would be great for adapting old lenses once cheap dumb adapters become available, and they will

They are already available, just need to add them on the front of the EF to R adapter and away you go. Only the Canon FD mount lenses are not catered for yet.

They are already available, just need to add them on the front of the EF to R adapter and away you go. Only the Canon FD mount lenses are not catered for yet.

I'm so dumb! Of course they are, as the mount is the same as the R :D cheers

I can't believe the size of the 70-200mm lens. :oops: :$ Seems like Canon are going out to get the bases covered pretty quickly. Makes me think if they sell a load of these, would there be many lower spec lighter lenses. :thinking:

It will be interesting to see if they can bring the size reductions to longer focal lengths.

new-canon-rf-lenses-800x351.jpg

And they said that future mirrorless cameras will have IBIS! Some people will not like that, because they said it was not needed when the first camera didn't have it. ;) :LOL:

I can't believe the size of the 70-200mm lens. :oops: :$ Seems like Canon are going out to get the bases covered pretty quickly. Makes me think if they sell a load of these, would there be many lower spec lighter lenses. :thinking:

It will be interesting to see if they can bring the size reductions to longer focal lengths.

new-canon-rf-lenses-800x351.jpg

And they said that future mirrorless cameras will have IBIS! Some people will not like that, because they said it was not needed when the first camera didn't have it. ;) [emoji38]
Does that lens extend when zooming?

I believe it does, not seen any images of it extended yet though. I'd rather have a longer lens with internal zoom like the standard 70-200 variants.

Major turn off here though, is that while the new RP is aimed at the budget market, none of these lenses bar the kit zoom are. Someone looking to get into FF cheap is not looking to pay double the body price for one lens. I can see a lot of people who buy the RP using older EF lenses mostly.

Then it's not ground breaking then and when extending I presume will be same size as the dslr version...

I'm imagining it's going to look ugly when extended too. Like superzoom tele lenses, they look nice and neat when retracted, and a bit silly when fully extended, like weird trombones

I'm not sure. I watched the Jared Polin vid about the lenses, and he said they were not working copies, and he was not able to touch them.
Then it's not ground breaking then and when extending I presume will be same size as the dslr version...
Whether it extends or not (it probably does) to get a zoom of that focal length and max aperture with IS that compact is a stunning bit of design if the images from it are up to it imho. People keep on saying one of the reasons for the move to mirrorless is the size reduction of camera and lenses. Well that lens at least is a size reduction. Not sure it may be much of a saving in weight. ;)

Last edited:

It's still a full frame 70-200 F2.8 zoom that is genuinely compact when transported, I'd say that's hugely impressive and yes, ground-breaking. Our lenses spend way, way more time being stored, carried or transported than actually being used.

Yea thats why I prefer ones that don't extend. I it just shows you can't beat physics yet...

Yes, it's extending. As well as being impossible optically without some DO or other trickery, you can see the inner barrel at the front of the lens. When everyone realises it's not an internal-zoom sealed unit, a lot of the excitement will evaporate and I'd even go so far as to say it's a mistake with an L-grade 70-200 unless it's incredibly light. While Canon will have done what they can on that, a 70-200/2.8 simply needs a lot of heavy glass. Weight is the problem, not the closed length, hence the appeal of the f/4 variants IMHO.

I used to have the Canon 70-300 DO, an expensive lens but very short at 70mm and I wanted it to fit neatly into a bag I was using (poor reason!). It was very fat, heavy, had a big wobbly extension at 300mm making it just as long as any other 70-300, and the barrel tromboned out at every opportunity when pointed down. I hated it. The small closed length was nothing but an illusion really, and extending barrels do nothing for weather sealing either. Canon seem to have learned from that though, and the more recent extending 70-300L and 100-400L designs are excellent.

Last edited:
I’m not a big lover of extending zooms.

But congrats to Canon for doing it, ideal for those wanting to travel smaller I guess.

Be interesting to see how it balances. The Sony 2.8 is great in that respect as was my Nikon before.

I’m not sure if it’s right though, I lot of pro users surely prefer the non extending 2.8s?

Hopefully the optics are spot on.

Nikon to do release their 70-200 promptly!!

Quite frankly I don't care two flying figs whether a zoom lens is extending or not. Surely what is far more important is the image quality a lens has the potential to deliver and that it's tough physically. Every time I shoot with my EF 100-400mm F/4L II I don't think to myself "Sh*t, I wish this lens didn't extend".

Last edited:
It's not the size of the 70-200 that impresses me. It's the commitment to banging out a set of lenses in such a small space of time. Soon there will be a whole bunch of bang up to date quality opics so users have the option of the older glass adapted or their latest and greatest.

If they get the "pro" version of the camera right they will be laughing.

Bit of a s*** that they use different batteries. Guess it couldn’t be helped.

Poor Nikon, they need to do something quickly to keep up!

Last edited:
It's not the size of the 70-200 that impresses me. It's the commitment to banging out a set of lenses in such a small space of time. Soon there will be a whole bunch of bang up to date quality opics so users have the option of the older glass adapted or their latest and greatest.

.... Hmmm, a compact RF 500mm F/2.8L would be my dream lens if no heavier than the existing EF 500mm F/4L II.

And yes, as you say, a Canon mirrorless 'Pro' version of the 1DX would also be a dream. I use my EOS-R body as much as my 1DX-2 and in fact more so if it's a day in a wildlife hide or on tripod.

Canon will have been quietly developing all these new RF lenses quietly behind the scenes. They are making a mockery of all those photographers who were so negatively critical about them in the mirrorless 'race'. Like they announced, the key to their progress was designing and building a new mount. The RF Rocks!

:canon:

Hopefully. The R just doesn’t offer me what I would need. I am always open to looking at new cameras purely as I like new gadgets and tech (and GAS) so looking forward to what Canon (and maybe Nikon) do with the next bodies as they will be coming.

Same way Fuji's FW update impressed you ;)

Every other brand has released 6 lenses in one year before it's not unique to canon. In fact Nikon actually released a 24-70/2.8 and canon will hasn't released any of these. They were just plastic models.

I imagine Nikon (possibly even Sony and Panasonic) will have as many lenses out this year as canon.
I like how you bought into their marketing, well done canon.

Bit of a s*** that they use different batteries. Guess it couldn’t be helped.

Poor Nikon, they need to do something quickly to keep up!

.... As the beach-blonde lady with perfect teeth and a nice skin says in the Canon Australia video I posted #589, size matters. There isn't room for the LP-6EN in the smaller EOS-RP body. I think it takes the same LP-E17 battery as the EOS-M. I've got a spare LP-E17 which is looking for a home from when I used to have a M5.

Thank goodness Canon released the EOS-R before the RP because I would have bought the RP as a good replacement of my too-small-for-me M5 and then now be swopping the RP for the R.

I'm sure Nikon will soon release their equivalents.

Yes, it's extending. As well as being impossible optically without some DO or other trickery, you can see the inner barrel at the front of the lens. When everyone realises it's not an internal-zoom sealed unit, a lot of the excitement will evaporate and I'd even go so far as to say it's a mistake with an L-grade 70-200 unless it's incredibly light. While Canon will have done what they can on that, a 70-200/2.8 simply needs a lot of heavy glass. Weight is the problem, not the closed length, hence the appeal of the f/4 variants IMHO.

I used to have the Canon 70-300 DO, an expensive lens but very short at 70mm and I wanted it to fit neatly into a bag I was using (poor reason!). It was very fat, heavy, had a big wobbly extension at 300mm making it just as long as any other 70-300, and the barrel tromboned out at every opportunity when pointed down. I hated it. The small closed length was nothing but an illusion really, and extending barrels do nothing for weather sealing either. Canon seem to have learned from that though, and the more recent extending 70-300L and 100-400L designs are excellent.

I imagine the extension will be more like 100-400 or 70-300L and not 70-300DO. Also remember the 70-300 is 4.25x zoom and needs to extend more than a 70-200 zoom which is just under 3x.

Also while it'll be heavy, I imagine it'll be at least 100-200g lighter than standard 70-200/2.8

Same way Fuji's FW update impressed you ;)

Every other brand has released 6 lenses in one year before it's not unique to canon. In fact Nikon actually released a 24-70/2.8 and canon will hasn't released any of these. They were just plastic models.

I imagine Nikon (possibly even Sony and Panasonic) will have as many lenses out this year as canon.
I like how you bought into their marketing, well done canon.
And don't forget none of these new lenses you can't all buy now. They will be stagnated rekwased during the year

And don't forget none of these new lenses you can't all buy now. They will be stagnated rekwased during the year
They are not lenses they are cardboard cutouts at the moment :ROFLMAO:

At this point canon and Nikon have the same amount of lenses so far.

Last edited:
They are not lenses they are cardboard cutouts at the moment :ROFLMAO:

.... Don't you worry, any cardboard cutouts will be magically turned into full blown Canon glass wizardry soon enough. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Competing equality between Canon and Nikon and the rest, can be nothing but good for us the consumer whether we stay with one brand or not..

Last edited:
They are not lenses they are cardboard cutouts at the moment [emoji23]

Yea so I wouldn't rave about canon releasing loads of native lenses when infact they have not released none of these. Others work differently.

Back