Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I went to the show with a Fuji shooter friend.we tried numerous cameras and lens combinations,what shocked me is how heavy some of the FF mirrorless cameras are with a moderate zoom felt.of course I was comparing this to my memory of a Nikon d3300 with kit which is very light in comparison.anyway besides that the camera that stood out for us both re handling and the obviously limited options we had to test was easily won by the Canon R

Last edited:
For those interested in such things - EOS-R DXOMark Tested :

https://www.canonrumors.co/canon-eos-r-dxomark-tested/

The close similarity to the sensor of Canon's 5D-4 comes as no surprise but it's nice to read the comparison with the 1DX-2 because I was feeling that image results were similar due to shooting the same subject with both bodies and in exactly the same conditions.

Canon cash back was £250 and you got double at the show. Although I planned to get the lens, I hadn't planned on getting it yet... however when I mentioned it, he said they had a good offer on the two. The trade in price was not mind blowing, and I had planned to walk away, however with the lens deal it knocked another £200 more off I think... so, all good as long as I get the £500 back.
I think the RP would make a better travel camera, but I have an Olympus I use for travel, and the RP was lacking a few features I wanted.

Thats a cracking deal, I didn't get to the show, but if I had and seen that one, I would have left with a big credit card bill.
I compared the R and RP side by side in Currys of all places, The RP is smaller and lighter for travel, just a couple of things was not right for me personally, the view finder looked a bit small and the R's battery has a larger capacity plus I have quite a few LP-E6 batteries.

Thats a cracking deal, I didn't get to the show, but if I had and seen that one, I would have left with a big credit card bill.
I compared the R and RP side by side in Currys of all places, The RP is smaller and lighter for travel, just a couple of things was not right for me personally, the view finder looked a bit small and the R's battery has a larger capacity plus I have quite a few LP-E6 batteries.
One of the things for me is that the RP has a silent 'mode' but the silent shutter is not available in any other modes e.g. M, A, S. I really liked the feel of the RP in the hand though.
I also have a few LP-E6 batteries - another good point over the RP!

I had to queue to get to the front to get my hands on both cameras before I made my decision. There was a lot of interest. Probably wiser to get hands on in Currys.

I went yesterday, mission to check out the R, was still in two minds about getting one, so really wanted to try it out see what it was like etc..

When I picked up the camera, I wasn't overly impressed, check out a couple of things, but didn't feel right, I went to check out the infamous slide bar, and it wasn't there, that's when it dawned on me I'm looking at the RP camera doh... I almost walked away at this point, feeling the R mirrorless wasn't for me... But decided to check the R anyway....

I was surprised how different the two camera's felt, and I actually enjoyed the R camera, the Canon chap was very good, with answering some of my concerns I had, such as focal lengths being effected when using the mount, no issues and explained why. He did actually give me a work around for the lack of second card, sending photo's as taken over to a smart phone, if I didn't want to use all my phone memory, to get a cheap smart phone, a cheap pay as you go card, then you've got separate storage, as he said, it was a workaround, not idea as such due to being limited to jpeg, but well in reality it rare for me to ever back up to a second card...

Decided to go ahead and get one with the kit lens, the deal was good, show discount plus the double cash back, meant a very good deal ( lot better than the deal hubby got with his D500) . The only disappointment is, I haven't actually got my mitts on mine, due to no stock left at the show, and not sure when I'll get it, due they had none left at their main warehouse, so waiting on Canon to supply them :(

The RP was still available, I noticed several still on the various stands, but the R were all sold out...

Decided to go ahead and get one with the kit lens, the deal was good, show discount plus the double cash back, meant a very good deal ( lot better than the deal hubby got with his D500) . The only disappointment is, I haven't actually got my mitts on mine, due to no stock left at the show, and not sure when I'll get it, due they had none left at their main warehouse, so waiting on Canon to supply them :(

.... Nice one to get such a good deal, Ellie. Is the kit lens the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS? - If so, it's a cracking lens which is very flexible. Do you have any Canon EF lenses? - If so, you'll be impressed how well they combine and I would consider getting the Control Ring version of the adapter and match the ring's function to what you decide on your RF kit lens. I can't emphasise enough how well the Control Ring Adapter transforms the use of EF lenses and helps coordinate the use of both EF and RF lenses when shooting.

Also, get a spare battery as mirrorless cameras tend to consume more fuel.

No camera is perfect and it will take time to get fluidly familiar. We look forward to more of your thoughts and pics. Meanwhile, enjoy! [when it arrives!]

When I picked up the camera, I wasn't overly impressed, check out a couple of things, but didn't feel right, I went to check out the infamous slide bar, and it wasn't there, that's when it dawned on me I'm looking at the RP camera doh... I almost walked away at this point, feeling the R mirrorless wasn't for me... But decided to check the R anyway....

I did exactly the same thing! Like you I picked up the RP without realising it was the ‘wrong’ camera. Twigged the R was next to it and was genuinely surprised how nice it felt in the hand. Lovely viewfinder.

As now a long time Fuji user but still with 5Diii and many lenses, I may well switch back for my mirrorless fun!

I did exactly the same thing! Like you I picked up the RP without realising it was the ‘wrong’ camera. Twigged the R was next to it and was genuinely surprised how nice it felt in the hand. Lovely viewfinder.

As now a long time Fuji user but still with 5Diii and many lenses, I may well switch back for my mirrorless fun!

.... Although I have yet to see or handle a RP, I think that one which has the shallow grip (compared with a battery grip) will handle much better but I am someone whose hands much prefer the full battery grip on my EOS-R and balance with adapter plus bigger EF L lenses (needed for wildlife).

The R's viewfinder and options for what you can include is stellar! Until now I really disliked EVFs.

Maybe a silly question but for those who own this camera, is it worth having both the normal and the control adapters or simply upgrading to the control adapter.

My resistance is weakening, even though I just bought a 5dIV at the end of last year (and couldn't be happier with it). :)

Maybe a silly question but for those who own this camera, is it worth having both the normal and the control adapters or simply upgrading to the control adapter.

My resistance is weakening, even though I just bought a 5dIV at the end of last year (and couldn't be happier with it). :)

.... Not a silly question at all. When I bought my EOS-R (with kit lens) the supplied EF-RF Adapter was the standard one. When it became available I bought the Control Ring Adapter, which I find transforms the use of EF lenses, and have kept the standard adapter. Why? - Because if I ever upgrade from or replace my EOS-R body I can sell it with its standard adapter so that EF lens owners will be interested in buying.

I enjoyed my 5D-4 very much when I had it but traded it for a 1DX-2.

.... Nice one to get such a good deal, Ellie. Is the kit lens the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS? - If so, it's a cracking lens which is very flexible. Do you have any Canon EF lenses? - If so, you'll be impressed how well they combine and I would consider getting the Control Ring version of the adapter and match the ring's function to what you decide on your RF kit lens. I can't emphasise enough how well the Control Ring Adapter transforms the use of EF lenses and helps coordinate the use of both EF and RF lenses when shooting.

Also, get a spare battery as mirrorless cameras tend to consume more fuel.

No camera is perfect and it will take time to get fluidly familiar. We look forward to more of your thoughts and pics. Meanwhile, enjoy! [when it arrives!]

Yes it is the 24-105 F/4L kit lens (wanted at least one native lens) haven't put much thought into the control ring, just the thought of spending extra money, luckily due to my 7dmk2 and the 5ds both using the same battery as the R, I've got plenty spares phew.

I rang Wex this morning to see when if they had an estimated delivery date, the chap checked and said it looked like the camera's weren't coming in until sometime next week, so probably either end of next week or the beginning of the week after, but got an email late this afternoon, to say it's been dispatched and should arrive on Monday. It's gonna be such a long weekend...

Can't wait to get my new 24mm-70mm F2.8 Art lens on it, be using putting it through it's paces on the 5Ds, and boy even wide open it is sharp so, so sharp you could cut yourself. And considering what the Canon rep said, that apparently because how focus is dealt with differently using the sensor, you find where ever you focus within the frame it's sharp sharp!

My first weekend with the camera. Got to get used to how it handles with settings, buttons and whatnot compared to my 6D. The tilty flippy screen very useful.

Looks good..

Mine should be delivered today, apparently it's out for delivery . but won't get to me until after 4pm,

What elks me big time, Even though Wex still unable to confirm an estimated delivery Friday Morning, and the chap I spoke to, didn't expect another Canon delivery until this week, but a delivery obviously made Friday, as Wex emailed late Friday afternoon to say it had been dispatched and should be with me on Monday (today) tracking number provided.

Parcel Force :( .

Who pick up, take it to the collection hub, the off to somewhere else, but arrives at 'delivery' depot in Exeter 07.00 Saturday Morning! Where it sat until it was finally assigned at 09.00 this morning to a delivery Route, went out at 10.30 and estimated to arrive sometime after 4pm.

This is the bit that really elks me big time.... Not only have they already driving it past my house (I live a couple of fields away from the M5) but I also live a 5/10 minute drive from their Dunball Depot! If it had gone to Dunball I probably would have had it in my dirty mitts by now.. Haven't they heard of carbon Footprint... Aiming to transport a parcel the least possible distance around the country! Tis no wonder they slow and flipping expensive to use.

Looks good..

Mine should be delivered today, apparently it's out for delivery . but won't get to me until after 4pm,

What elks me big time, Even though Wex still unable to confirm an estimated delivery Friday Morning, and the chap I spoke to, didn't expect another Canon delivery until this week, but a delivery obviously made Friday, as Wex emailed late Friday afternoon to say it had been dispatched and should be with me on Monday (today) tracking number provided.

Parcel Force :( .

Who pick up, take it to the collection hub, the off to somewhere else, but arrives at 'delivery' depot in Exeter 07.00 Saturday Morning! Where it sat until it was finally assigned at 09.00 this morning to a delivery Route, went out at 10.30 and estimated to arrive sometime after 4pm.

This is the bit that really elks me big time.... Not only have they already driving it past my house (I live a couple of fields away from the M5) but I also live a 5/10 minute drive from their Dunball Depot! If it had gone to Dunball I probably would have had it in my dirty mitts by now.. Haven't they heard of carbon Footprint... Aiming to transport a parcel the least possible distance around the country! Tis no wonder they slow and flipping expensive to use.

16:35. Hopefully in your hands by now...

This is the bit that really eeks me big time.... Not only have they already driving it past my house (I live a couple of fields away from the M5) but I also live a 5/10 minute drive from their Dunball Depot! If it had gone to Dunball I probably would have had it in my dirty mitts by now.. Haven't they heard of carbon Footprint... Aiming to transport a parcel the least possible distance around the country! Tis no wonder they slow and flipping expensive to use.

.... It would be even more expensive for any courier to individually ship parcels outside the hub network system, and it would also increase the carbon footprint if that's what concerns you. What you describe is normal both for weekends and other couriers.

So if it hasn't arrived yet it will do so any moment. Tomorrow is a new day. Enjoy!

It arrived just after 5pm, I've managed to get a couple test shots in...

RF kit lens first followed with a couple with my sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art lens....

And I'm blown away, both lenses sharp as anything, colour rendition awesome....

Would show the photo's, but alas, an heavy duty reminder, I must get my rear end in gear and decorate, boy are my walls uneven! Time to play, read the manual and set my various control settings....

I just took delivery of an EOS RP and RF 35mm F1.8 IS today. I am coming from a 6D, and 5D3 before that. The handling is great. It works fine out of the box with the adapter and my Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC DI which I was a little worried about. With the F2.8 zoom it could see how handling would benefit from the little Canon grip. I may try and 3D print my own... I'll get back to you guys on that!

Touch drag AF seems to work great... I wish there was some kind of 'nose input rejection' - lets see how we get on.

I am missing the LP-E6 though. I had some cheap compatible batteries which worked great on the 5D3 and 6D. Does anyone know of any cheap coded third party LP-E17s that would show at least the charge level on the EOS RP?

Touch drag AF seems to work great... I wish there was some kind of 'nose input rejection' - lets see how we get on

.... On the EOS-R you have the options to switch off the touch-drag AF or to select which area of the screen to be sensitive to.

If the centre AF point gets unintentionally moved you can hit the delete bin-icon button to quickly recentre it.

I got to hold the EOS-R today and it, just felt so nice in my hands, i am about a year away from getting a new camera, but i know, it will be a Canon.

Tried my R out at a horse race on Sunday and WWT near Arundel yesterday. Not yet had chance to download yesterdays' but here is a jpeg SOOC taken with the 24-105mm EF lens with adapter - very slight crop on the R.

@RedRobin I found the buttons not great for BBF as you had mentioned, and I decided to switch the use of the Af-on and * buttons on the back. However the minute I held my 100-400 on it yesterday, my thumb kept slipping to the AF-on button, so I switched them back again and found it much better than I anticipated.

I wish the focus points could be smaller. So far, I still think my 5Div may be a bit better for action, but I am still getting to grips with setting the camera up. I was also recording both jpeg and raw where usually I just do RAW, so hopefully that will speed things up a bit too.

My control ring adapter arrived today.

190324130224-BCR_0115.jpg

There is a setting somewhere you can reduce the size of the focus square, but can't remember where it's too off hand, I think also that when you reduce the size it gets more precise!

I've had a quick play with mine, and out tomorrow with it, if I can decide where I want to go that is... But still far away from having it set up probably for me.

Will the new firmware sort the AF frame size out?

The new firmware for EOS R (version 1.2.0) will be available on Canon website from the middle of April 2019.
Firmware version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
Enhancements:
  • Eye-detection AF
    • Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
    • Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.
  • Small AF Frame Size
Fixes:
  1. Under certain conditions, the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
  2. Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
  3. Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the wireless file transmitter, WFT-E7 was not possible.

There is a setting somewhere you can reduce the size of the focus square, but can't remember where it's too off hand, I think also that when you reduce the size it gets more precise!
I think I already have that set - can't remember how now.

Will the new firmware sort the AF frame size out?

The new firmware for EOS R (version 1.2.0) will be available on Canon website from the middle of April 2019.
Firmware version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
Enhancements:
  • Eye-detection AF
  • Small AF Frame Size
Fixes:
  1. Under certain conditions, the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
  2. Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
  3. Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the wireless file transmitter, WFT-E7 was not possible.
Let's hope that means we do get an even smaller focus point!

I had that funny thing with the electronic viewfinder not being rotated properly - just the once!

I love that the exposure metering seems to be prioritised according to your focus point and not the central point.

I did accidentally change my ISO using the bar. I've locked it now. I wish we could set exposure compensation on that, but we can't. At the moment I can't really see me using it much.

Anyone here come from Sony caneras? I had a play with one at weekend while looking at Nikon Z6 I honestly can say they are all lovely cameras if I had the money I have all 3 lol

When you're in the af selection bit and have the single point selected you press the info button to reduce the size from memory.
Just had a play and you are correct. I had done that, but now realise it doesn't work in servo - that was the issue. I remembered making it smaller, but hadn't noticed it getting larger the next time I used the camera in servo. So, the update due in April should fix it - great! :)

Last edited:
Tried my R out at a horse race on Sunday and WWT near Arundel yesterday. Not yet had chance to download yesterdays' but here is a jpeg SOOC taken with the 24-105mm EF lens with adapter - very slight crop on the R.

@RedRobin I found the buttons not great for BBF as you had mentioned, and I decided to switch the use of the Af-on and * buttons on the back. However the minute I held my 100-400 on it yesterday, my thumb kept slipping to the AF-on button, so I switched them back again and found it much better than I anticipated.

.... Yes I am still finding the slanting AF-ON button awkward for Back Button Focus. I have recently spent three full days photographing steam railway locomotives with EOS-R + RF 24-105mm and 1DX-2 + EF 100-400mm II combinations and continually swopping the two combos according to the action. I am finding the position difference of the AF-ON button between the two bodies very tricky and too easy to get wrong. However, the EOS-R Battery Grip helps and especially if shooting in portrait orientation but I mostly shoot landscape orientation.

This handling problem is easier when there is time but the 'Flying Scotsman' in action is inclined to fly! So my best shots of her were on my 1DX-2.

I'm finding a niggle with my RF 24-105mm F/4L - It's image quality is superb but I find its zoom ring a bit too stiff to move while in the viewfinder and when using the Control Ring to adjust ISO (I shoot Manual-mode mostly) it's too easy to move the Manual Focus ring while trying to find the adjacent Control Ring.

This niggle is worse when shooting moving targets.

I often adjust ISO in order to improve the histogram. Having sight of the histogram in the viewfinder is one of my favourite feature options.

Btw, I was out in constant drizzle one of the days and the R didn't throw any hissy fits over getting wet. The 1DX-2 is storm proof and so I don't even think about it.

I only shoot RAW and the EOS-R image files are nearly always over 36Mp and capture an excellent range of light.

EOS-R + RF 100-400mm F/4L @ 24mm + circular polarising filter, Manual-mode, 1/400s, F/10, ISO 1250 (No noise reduction applied), handheld.

On Flickr :

A VERY SPECIAL LITTLE LADY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I've had a little look in the manual and can't seem to find out - is it possible to set it so that the viewfinder is constantly active?

I've had a little look in the manual and can't seem to find out - is it possible to set it so that the viewfinder is constantly active?
Constantly active how? I've flipped the lcd in on itself at times so it is redundant and only use the evf.

Constantly active how? I've flipped the lcd in on itself at times so it is redundant and only use the evf.
So that it’s constantly on. Currently if I take my eye away, it goes off.

I’ve set it to manual in the menu, viewfinder on, which turns the lcd display off ( though you can still set the af point which is a nice touch). However when shooting action, I don’t want the viewfinder to turn off, ever, and currently mine does.

So that it’s constantly on. Currently if I take my eye away, it goes off.

I’ve set it to manual in the menu, viewfinder on, which turns the lcd display off ( though you can still set the af point which is a nice touch). However when shooting action, I don’t want the viewfinder to turn off, ever, and currently mine does.
if its always on even without you looking through it will kill the battery, could it be set to eye sensor so it activates when you lift it to your eye. This I think is still an area where dslr has the advantage-constant viewfinder with no battery use penalty

if its always on even without you looking through it will kill the battery, could it be set to eye sensor so it activates when you lift it to your eye. This I think is still an area where dslr has the advantage-constant viewfinder with no battery use penalty
This is how it is currently set. I realise it's heavy on battery, but sometimes that is what you need. I have an Olympus which I use like this. I can overcome it on the R by holding the camera near my cheek to keep it on, but it's not ideal.

I’m really liking the rendering and IQ I’m seeing from the R and, at my very brief try, it felt good in the hand. However Fuji have these days nailed the nice to use factors on the X-T3 and I do much prefer using that to my 5Diii.

Now folks have been using the R for a while, I’m wondering what’s the conclusion about how it handles and using it in the field as it were. What are the likes and dislikes? What needs some attention in next gen?

I’m really liking the rendering and IQ I’m seeing from the R and, at my very brief try, it felt good in the hand. However Fuji have these days nailed the nice to use factors on the X-T3 and I do much prefer using that to my 5Diii.

Now folks have been using the R for a while, I’m wondering what’s the conclusion about how it handles and using it in the field as it were. What are the likes and dislikes? What needs some attention in next gen?
I think it's still too early to tell. I know I am still getting to grips with how I set the camera up.

If you use back button focusing the button is a bit odd. In servo, the focus square is too large - to be sorted imminently in firmware upgrade. The buttons and controls are quite different from the 5d3 though the menus are mostly the same. There are no preset AF cases to choose from but you can adjust the individual parameters, so the control is still there if you want it.

I've been using an olympus EM1ii and I really like the advantages of mirrorless, For action, I've yet to find out how to have the evf permanently on, for the R. I'd like a few more options to be added to the M-Fn button and M-Fn bar, such as exposure compensation, but I'm still playing to set it up with what works for me.

I'm really liking the smaller size and weight with full frame capability

Back