Canon EOS R Series Cameras

How do you find the balancing with both the extender and the adapter attached between the 2?

I’ve had my R since late December last year, and the 100-400 is the only lens of mine that hasn’t set foot (so to speak) on it as yet.

I’ve seen some outstanding results on the R Facebook group with the pairing. But never seen much mentioned regarding ergonomics etc...

.... What really helps the physical balance is fitting a Canon Battery Grip to the EOS-R. Doing so also greatly improves shooting in portrait orientation as well as extending the time inbetween fresh battery changes. It's a win-win. Also, because I shoot just as much (perhaps a bit more often) with the 1DX-2, my muscle memory between the two bodies is more similar - I am often out with both bodies plus a lens mounted on each.

.... What really helps the physical balance is fitting a Canon Battery Grip to the EOS-R. Doing so also greatly improves shooting in portrait orientation as well as extending the time inbetween fresh battery changes. It's a win-win. Also, because I shoot just as much (perhaps a bit more often) with the 1DX-2, my muscle memory between the two bodies is more similar - I am often out with both bodies plus a lens mounted on each.

Thanks very much.

Yeah, I’ve had the grip on mine since about a week of owning it. It definitely helps with things.

If I recall correct. It may have actually been you I replied to on this thread a few months back. As someone was asking about the height dimensions of the body with grip included...

Have you used the 2x on this body with the 100-400 by any chance to share some IQ views?

Have you used the 2x on this body with the 100-400 by any chance to share some IQ views?

.... Yes I have and found it awkward to use when handheld due to the Control Ring (set for ISO) on the Adapter being so close to the body hence taking my left hand further away from easily balancing the combo. If I remember correctly I think the widest aperture then becomes only F/11(?) and so my maximum reach on this combo is 800mm and F/11(?). Even if F/8, the IQ doesn't compare well with either my EF 500mm + 1.4x III @700mm or + 2x III @1000mm, so no point me using that combo.

Right now I don't have time to check out the EOS-R + EF 100-400mm II + 2x III combo to confirm the widest aperture but can do later if it helps you.

My naked eye was not wow'd by the combo regarding IQ but in fairness I didn't decide to explore it further due to my other lens options making it unnecessary.

Last edited:
.... Yes I have and found it awkward to use when handheld due to the Control Ring (set for ISO) on the Adapter being so close to the body hence taking my left hand further away from easily balancing the combo. If I remember correctly I think the widest aperture then becomes only F/11(?) and so my maximum reach on this combo is 800mm and F/11(?). Even if F/8, the IQ doesn't compare well with either my EF 500mm + 1.4x III @700mm or + 2x III @1000mm, so no point me using that combo.

Right now I don't have time to check out the EOS-R + EF 100-400mm II + 2x III combo to confirm the widest aperture but can do later if it helps you.

My naked eye was not wow'd by the combo regarding IQ but in fairness I didn't decide to explore it further due to my other lens options making it unnecessary.

Thanks, Robin. No need to put yourself out in doing tests though. It was just a general query as to whether you had tried it or not.

As if I were to ever use it on my R (rather than the 80D I also own) it’d probably be with a 2x for a bit more reach with AF still available.

Totally agree with the control ring though. I wish they’d have put it closer to the mount (like the adapter) or somewhere a bit more central on the native lenses.
It’s a right PITA remembering the different positions between them :)

I got it from the uk site and uploaded, eye tracking is so much better, picks out an eye even form a small photo!

It does feel a little more responsive, I used to use touch drag but now use tracking and bbf as it is quicker!

So it has all gone a bit quiet despite the rather impressive firmware release!

For my money the new autofocus / face & eye tracking is quite something. To make the leap in performance they have just a few updates in has been impressive.

I had no real complaints with the previous af, although eye tracking was maybe a little meh. it was still serviceable. Now though it has exceeded all expectations :)

So it has all gone a bit quiet despite the rather impressive firmware release!

For my money the new autofocus / face & eye tracking is quite something. To make the leap in performance they have just a few updates in has been impressive.

I had no real complaints with the previous af, although eye tracking was maybe a little meh. it was still serviceable. Now though it has exceeded all expectations :)

It is a bit surprising how quiet this thread has been, the FW looks awesome from what I've seen. Honestly the only con for the R for me is no IBIS, but that's just being pampered, I know it's not a necessity.

I've had the eos r for a week now. Very nice camera. Loving the image quality.

The firmware update has made a huge difference. The eye af is very good. Not quite up there with sony, but it's very close.

Ive used only EF lenses so far, consisting of:
50 f1.8
17-40
Tamron 24-70 2.8ii
Sigma macro 105
Canon 135

All working without issue.

My biggest issue with the camera is the fps in tracking mode. 3 fps (at best) is not acceptable. I'm really not sure why it's so incredibly low. Is this something that can addressed in future fw updates?

I decided to go with the eos rp and rf 24-105 which arrived last week. changed from a 5d mk ii and the low light difference is brilliant used mainly indoors with 50 1.4 [to wet for much outside]. I went with the rp because I know I will want to get the r replacement when it comes out and this way I wont drop as much on the next change

On the subject of fps rate, I know it is relatively slow in comparison with other bodies but for me it is not proving to be quite as frustrating as I had expected it to be. Sure, it's a lot slower than the 14fps I am used to on my 1DX-2 but it's a limitation and every camera has its limitations. I feel confident that Canon will increase the fps rate on a future higher spec R version. I'm not an expert but think that it can't be done just by updating the firmware because other onboard components have to be able to handle it without compromises being introduced.

On the subject of the 1.4 firmware, I updated my EOS-R last Friday and shot a couple of hundred images at a Heavy Horses outdoor show in bad weather on Sunday - I shot about 1,200 on my 1DX-2 because it is more weather resilient and has a faster fps.

The point of my post though is that I haven't felt any need to set any eye-tracking but I never have felt the need anyway. If I was shooting people headshot portraits I might think differently but I don't feel the need.

With wildlife and moving animals, the less work the AF system has to do, the faster it hits the target. Or is there something I am missing?

On the subject of the 1.4 firmware, I updated my EOS-R last Friday and shot a couple of hundred images at a Heavy Horses outdoor show in bad weather on Sunday - I shot about 1,200 on my 1DX-2 because it is more weather resilient and has a faster fps.

The point of my post though is that I haven't felt any need to set any eye-tracking but I never have felt the need anyway. If I was shooting people headshot portraits I might think differently but I don't feel the need.

With wildlife and moving animals, the less work the AF system has to do, the faster it hits the target. Or is there something I am missing?

Eye tracking is particularly useful when shooting small people at wide aperture.

Eye tracking is particularly useful when shooting small people at wide aperture.

.... When you say "small people" I assume you mean people at a distance rather than shooting midgets [assuming I am allowed to use that term, or should it be 'height disadvantaged'?] :D

Doesn't it slow down AF?

I've had the eos r for a week now. Very nice camera. Loving the image quality.

The firmware update has made a huge difference. The eye af is very good. Not quite up there with sony, but it's very close.

Ive used only EF lenses so far, consisting of:
50 f1.8
17-40
Tamron 24-70 2.8ii
Sigma macro 105
Canon 135

All working without issue.

My biggest issue with the camera is the fps in tracking mode. 3 fps (at best) is not acceptable. I'm really not sure why it's so incredibly low. Is this something that can addressed in future fw updates?

I wonder if the AF is better with native lenses.

.... When you say "small people" I assume you mean people at a distance rather than shooting midgets [assuming I am allowed to use that term, or should it be 'height disadvantaged'?] :D

Doesn't it slow down AF?

Sorry. Children.

They often move unpredictably and in my experience, decent eye af has been a game changer.

Sorry. Children.

They often move unpredictably and in my experience, decent eye af has been a game changer.

.... Thanks for explaining that - I completely missed that you were referring to children! Duh Robin!

I am guessing that the eye tracking feature relies on an eye having whites and therefore contrast and so, except in the case of an angry bull, nearly all animal and bird eyes will not be able to be tracked.

So, Firmware update encouraged me to pull the trigger on an R.

Got a brief play between meetings, with our ER friends at Trafalgar Square, and then another while my daughter was going full Joker (not disturbing at all...)

The Trees don't lie
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Joker
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

I like it plenty, though need to figure out how not to keep nudging the M-fn bar while fumbling for the bbf button and thereby knocking ISO (as set) out of whack!

Always follow this thread as originally I was a canon boy before going Nikon then Sony.

Canon just seem a bit steep on prices

I like it plenty, though need to figure out how not to keep nudging the M-fn bar while fumbling for the bbf button and thereby knocking ISO (as set) out of whack!

.... My solution to this same set of problems has been to :

- Totally disable the M-fn bar < Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use what it offers.

- Customise the asterix button to Back Button Focus instead of the AF-ON button which then, for me, becomes a toggle switch between ONE SHOT and AI SERVO. I find that the asterix button is much better positioned for BBF.

- Customise the Control Ring on both EF-RF Adapter and on RF lenses to control ISO settings. If ISO is set to Auto you can still override the setting with the Control Ring.

Additionally I find the EOS-R much easier to physically handle, especially in portrait orientation, when a Canon Battery Grip is fitted. This also substantially increases the time between battery changes.

I hope this helps.

Robin

Always follow this thread as originally I was a canon boy before going Nikon then Sony.

Canon just seem a bit steep on prices

.... Possibly, probably, definitely, maybe more pricey :D. It depends on what brand of camera system you have either already invested in or have a personal preference for and, of course, what kind of photography you do. Some people do brilliantly with just a phone camera.

Last edited:
Customise the asterix button to Back Button Focus instead of the AF-ON button which then, for me, becomes a toggle switch between ONE SHOT and AI SERVO. I find that the asterix button is much better positioned for BBF.

Yep, may try the same with * button but will practice a bit more first as, for me at least, AFON is a more natural position while holding hand grip comfortably.

It's funny as my hand is trained to find right button on both Fuji and 5D3 which feel very different from each other in my hand, I guess the R is just simply more similar to 5D so muscle memory kicks in.

Yep, may try the same with * button but will practice a bit more first as, for me at least, AFON is a more natural position while holding hand grip comfortably.

It's funny as my hand is trained to find right button on both Fuji and 5D3 which feel very different from each other in my hand, I guess the R is just simply more similar to 5D so muscle memory kicks in.

.... I used to have a 5D-4 but find the EOS-R AF-ON button too angled away 'around the corner' for my thumb's comfort and like to be able to keep my thumb free while gripping the body. The battery grip has transformed handling in my case but we are all different!

So I tried an eos RP yesterday.

What a fantastic camera. Ergonomically sound, and felt so well thought out in a way other cameras don't. Out of my price league, but it certainly felt nicer than nikon z6 or Sony a72 (not used a73 in direct comparison sadly).

I can't wait until the next gen is around and I can pick one up used. Not sure if weather sealed, didn't feel it... Which would be a pity, but unsurprising.

Great little thing. Aspire to own one, one day.

I have set my MF bar to focus settings, left tap for eye focus on/off, right tap for touch drag on off. It is less critical than iso and find it a very convenient function to have to hand.

Used to always use touch drag but now it is usually set to tracking and use the bbf to lock on. There is a setting to return the focus point to centre when bbf is released.

There is a setting to return the focus point to centre when bbf is released.

.... I think it's the trash bin delete button. But I don't remember because I don't move the central focus point around.

.... I think it's the trash bin delete button. But I don't remember because I don't move the central focus point around.
Not that one, there is an option that returns it to centre when BBF is released and it has tracked and object/person (so could be anywhere in the frame).

Does anyone use any of the SCN modes? I tried the macro one and was not very impressed - I could do a lot better using manual, the aperture was all wrong.

Does anyone use any of the SCN modes? I tried the macro one and was not very impressed - I could do a lot better using manual, the aperture was all wrong.
No

they’re designed for people who really couldn’t see what they were doing wrong.

No

they’re designed for people who really couldn’t see what they were doing wrong.

.... Hey Phil :) Are you shooting with an EOS-R / RP now? Or still using a M5 or similar?

I haven't visited the M series thread for many months as I don't have any reason to any longer. The R is just like a cross between a bigger M5 and a 5D. But it's still Horses-for-Courses and I don't see that ever changing, along with there being no such thing as a perfect camera :D

.... Hey Phil :) Are you shooting with an EOS-R / RP now? Or still using a M5 or similar?

I haven't visited the M series thread for many months as I don't have any reason to any longer. The R is just like a cross between a bigger M5 and a 5D. But it's still Horses-for-Courses and I don't see that ever changing, along with there being no such thing as a perfect camera :D
6d 7d M5 as appropriate - I’m poor

Back