Canon EOS R Series Cameras

6d 7d M5 as appropriate - I’m poor

.... But you're not necessarily poor at photography! It's just a tool. [But I will admit to liking expensive tools!!]

I went from 70D > 7D2 > M5 > ££££.

Anyway, back on the EOS-R subject I can report that after a 7hr day photographing steam trains in constant rain, my EOS-R + RF 24-105mm F/4L survived without missing a heartbeat whereas my buddy's 5D-4 displays misted up which might have been due to opening the body to change lenses.

And the R can take a knock as I found out the other night..

Putting the R back onto the tripod with cold hands, didn't bold well at all, is sat there for 5 minutes then hit the deck (concrete deck) with my sigma 24-70mm 2.8 Art Lens attached o_O

Boy did I feel sick, but when I picked my camera up and checked it all over, Lens fine working well, and only a dig in on the corner of the camera, no other damage phew...

I'm very impressed with the R - and the RP I've got both as I can't device which one - 50% of me knows that the RP is more than enough for me, but I like the R for the VF, but the RP is much more compact!

Tricky! But I got rid of all my other kit so I deserve two. haha!

I'm very impressed with the R - and the RP I've got both as I can't device which one - 50% of me knows that the RP is more than enough for me, but I like the R for the VF, but the RP is much more compact!

Tricky! But I got rid of all my other kit so I deserve two. haha!

.... I am a big advocate of having two bodies to shoot with (a different lens on each) but how about keeping both R and RP until the next R is announced and then possibly either trade the R for it so you are left with your compact RP plus higher(?) spec R or trade both for a higher spec new R yet to be officially announced.

Sure you always lose money on camera body trade ups but that's always been the case.

No

they’re designed for people who really couldn’t see what they were doing wrong.
In my experience using the macro mode is doing something wrong - the settings are just weird, IIRC it was F 4.0 - which gives practically no DOF.

In my experience using the macro mode is doing something wrong - the settings are just weird, IIRC it was F 4.0 - which gives practically no DOF.

.... I think I am missing something here - What/where is this "macro mode" setting? Are we talking about on the EOS-R / RP body?

I doubt very much if I would feel the need to use it, but such settings are usually on a non-dedicated 'macro' lens and are usually just marketing and a misnomer.

I came across this snippet of rumour today :

"The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is expected to have similar specs as upcoming EOS R Mark II. Both cameras are expected to be announced in late 2020 at the earliest."

.... Which suggests that an EOS-R Mark II is a different body than a R version with higher specs.

I am not dissatisfied with my EOS-R but a camera can always be improved.

.... I think I am missing something here - What/where is this "macro mode" setting? Are we talking about on the EOS-R / RP body?

I doubt very much if I would feel the need to use it, but such settings are usually on a non-dedicated 'macro' lens and are usually just marketing and a misnomer.
I was talking about the RP body - I am not sure if the R body has these settings as well, I guess it would be in the manual.

Weirdly you can only put the RP body on silent using the SCN mode - not AFAIK - using another mode.

Last edited:
I came across this snippet of rumour today :

"The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is expected to have similar specs as upcoming EOS R Mark II. Both cameras are expected to be announced in late 2020 at the earliest."

.... Which suggests that an EOS-R Mark II is a different body than a R version with higher specs.

I am not dissatisfied with my EOS-R but a camera can always be improved.

See if they made the R with all the features of a 5D4 including its FPS, dual slots, current latest FW AF capabilities etc at launch it would have been a really rather compelling option.
Instead they decided to gimp it!

I hope the Rii and 5DV will be more on equal footing just as 90D and M6ii are.

Breaking news from Canon fanboy 'RedRobin' is that he is very seriously considering changing to the Olympus E-M1X + ED PRO lenses!

But but but, I am not going to turn this thread into a Olympus vs Canon debate and I respect that this thread is dedicated to the EOS-R system. I will let you guys here know if I swop systems and so go quiet here.

[Robin goes off to check out any Olympus threads on TP]

Last edited:
Breaking news from Canon fanboy 'RedRobin' is that he is very seriously considering changing to the Olympus E-M1X + ED PRO lenses!

But but but, I am not going to turn this thread into a Olympus vs Canon debate and I respect that this thread is dedicated to the EOS-R system. I will let you guys here know if I swop systems and so go quiet here.

:eek::eek::eek:

It’ll be sad if you do leave the Canon brand as you’ve been a very active and valuable contributor to this thread.

It’ll be sad if you do leave the Canon brand as you’ve been a very active and valuable contributor to this thread.

.... Thank you so much for saying that - I try my best and I appreciate your feedback very much. :)

I am only considering the move at the moment but it's looking quite likely. I hasten to add that I am very happy indeed with my EOS system gear - Reduced weight, lens sizes, and extreme weatherproofing are the main reasons for me to change. I am 72yo and not getting any fitter! Financially it would not cost me any extra to swop everything to the Olympus equivalents and I could even have increased lens reach.

I've been looking at an RP as a compact personal body that's a bit more practical than a Sony RX1. I'm struggling with the vast, vast difference in prices though, I appreciate there will always be a reason why grey products are 20%ish cheaper, but is there any reason for the huge disparity in UK vs rest of the world? Its nearer 50% cheaper in the East rather than just a case of it being cheaper due to VAT.

I've been looking at an RP as a compact personal body that's a bit more practical than a Sony RX1. I'm struggling with the vast, vast difference in prices though, I appreciate there will always be a reason why grey products are 20%ish cheaper, but is there any reason for the huge disparity in UK vs rest of the world? Its nearer 50% cheaper in the East rather than just a case of it being cheaper due to VAT.

.... The whole 'grey' subject has been discussed so many times in great detail and brings out strong feelings both for and against - Almost as divisive as Brexit!

HDEW Cameras are not screwing vat and their discounts vary according to where they buy from which is mostly Europe. Yes, it's often roughly about 20%. I have used them many times as well as WEX ('normal' retail, not grey) and have absolutely no hesitation in recommending either of them all based on direct personal experience and that includes aftersales customer service and repairs.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with the RP -its a great little thing and I can't bring myself to sell it! Jump on Ebay and you can bag for for under 800 with an adapter.

.... The whole 'grey' subject has been discussed so many times in great detail and brings out strong feelings both for and against - Almost as divisive as Brexit!

I was intentionally avoiding the rights and wrongs of grey, it was more so intrigue in the global pricing of the RP, because even taking the VAT issue out it's possibly the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen between countries.

I'm not sure how Canon are managing the RP and where they see it sitting, I just found it odd that in the UK it's closer to the a7III in price where as in Asia it's very much nearer the budget end of the market (relatively speaking).

I was intentionally avoiding the rights and wrongs of grey, it was more so intrigue in the global pricing of the RP, because even taking the VAT issue out it's possibly the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen between countries.

I'm not sure how Canon are managing the RP and where they see it sitting, I just found it odd that in the UK it's closer to the a7III in price where as in Asia it's very much nearer the budget end of the market (relatively speaking).

Similar situation with R. £2149 (after £200 cash back!!!) here. Around £1300 incl. shipping from HK.

I found this when shopping in HK. The difference in prices for lenses looked roughly equivalent to the VAT saving, but camera bodies were way cheaper out there. Not sure of the answer but maybe the manufacturers, or specifically canon, price the markets differently. Maybe in UK people tend to use the same body for longer so they add a larger markup?

I have a foot in both camps @RedRobin. I love my Olympus EM1ii for wildlife and action. I couldn't afford the big Canon lenses nor could I carry the weight, so this is why I use both. Longest Canon lens I have is the 100-40mm - which is great.

I have a foot in both camps @RedRobin. I love my Olympus EM1ii for wildlife and action. I couldn't afford the big Canon lenses nor could I carry the weight, so this is why I use both. Longest Canon lens I have is the 100-40mm - which is great.

.... The Canon 100-400mm is excellent isn't it! It's my most often used lens. Did you know it takes the 1.4x Extender very well? But it must be version III to exploit the most body><lens communication (and it's more robust). You probably already know this.

But the Olympus ED 40-150mm PRO with a constant F/2.8 (and bombproof weatherproofing) is 80-300mm in Canon-speak and with a 1.4x mounted it then offers 112-420mm at F/4 throughout and so is a direct substitute for the Canon lens. Based on images I have seen, the Olympus lens has optical quality to match.

.... The Canon 100-400mm is excellent isn't it! It's my most often used lens. Did you know it takes the 1.4x Extender very well? But it must be version III to exploit the most body><lens communication (and it's more robust). You probably already know this.

But the Olympus ED 40-150mm PRO with a constant F/2.8 (and bombproof weatherproofing) is 80-300mm in Canon-speak and with a 1.4x mounted it then offers 112-420mm at F/4 throughout and so is a direct substitute for the Canon lens. Based on images I have seen, the Olympus lens has optical quality to match.
I've tried the Canon100-400 with an extender but perhaps I need to try it again. I will check if mine is version III. It might be II.

Probably best to continue Oly chat on that thread, but I have that lens and it does work well with the extender. Also have the 300mm (600 equivalent) which is great and relatively light! The only downside is that the Oly doesn't handle noise quite as well... I've invested in Topaz Denoise which I think is brilliant.

I was thinking the R might become my landscape/non-action camera and the Olympus my action one, but at the moment I'm still holding on to my 5div.

Apologies to everyone else... I'll keep the rest in the Olympus thread ;)

The updated Firmware is a game changer.
It brings the Canon Mirrorless camera's in line to compete with the Sony Mirrorless options for photo AF.

I've just ordered an RP to replace my 6D

The updated Firmware is a game changer.
It brings the Canon Mirrorless camera's in line to compete with the Sony Mirrorless options for photo AF.

I've just ordered an RP to replace my 6D

What is it like for Eye-AF? Nikon’s latest firmware added Eye-AF and it wasn’t bad at all.
I’m looking into various systems at the moment.
The RF 70-200 f2.8 looks competitively priced :)

What is it like for Eye-AF? Nikon’s latest firmware added Eye-AF and it wasn’t bad at all.
I’m looking into various systems at the moment.

It's superb. Picks up the eye from a good distance away too.

From what I've seen, the update for the RP wasn't quite as good as the one for the R? Both seem to have gotten decent upgrade in terms of eye AF but looks like the R got something just a little juicier

Does anyone have the RF 50mm F1.2?
How is the AF at F1.2 - is it hit and miss or can you nail the shot?

I have a 135 F2 which has always worked better for me than the 70-200 zooms. It's a nice looking lens though :)

Last edited:

.... I will have my foot in both Canon and Olympus camps at least to begin with because I would not buy an Olympus Macro lens until either Spring when the minibeasts reappear and/or we know if the rumoured Olympus 100mm [equ. 200mm] Macro PRO is officially announced. There is much to be said for keeping my EOS-R as my second body and only using my Canon EF 100mm Macro on it - I particularly like the Manual Focus Peaking option which the EOS-R offers as it really helps nail focus.

Last edited:
If you want to do macro mirrorless and the magnified view is the way to go because you can see detail which you wouldn't be able to see with an unaided optical system and focus on it knowing exactly where the focus is.

Off to do some research :)
Having used the Sony A9, how would you compared to the Canon EOS R?
Any negatives and positives?

the tracking is lacking well behind all the recent sonys. as is the fps.

the eos r does open up the possibilities of using all those great ef lenses. even old sigma lenses ive used with it are great. the latest firmware really has improved it a lot.

Last edited:
the tracking is lacking well behind all the recent sonys. as is the fps.

.... All the camera manufacturers are competing with each other and the leader in various features keeps changing and will continue to do so.

Personally I think it's taking their eye off the prize if photographers keep changing brands of camera systems just because of one or two features. [Says Robin who is most likely about to move to m4/3 Olympus! But for overall system weight and size reasons. The just announced Canon 1DX-3 is trying to pull me back!!]

the eos r does open up the possibilities of using all those great ef lenses. even old sigma lenses ive used with it are great. the latest firmware really has improved it a lot.

.... Digital camera technology has now reached the point where firmware updates can be used to further enhance and improve most serious camera body brands and even lens software.

A camera manufacturer's declared intent about firmware updates is now wise to bear in mind when choosing a camera brand. It is no longer just about updates for bug fixes. We, the consumer, can only benefit.

Bro get a medium format mirrorless to mend your itch :)

.... Are you addressing me, Jonney? You don't make it clear.

Assuming you are, I am satisfied with this standard, shot on my EOS-R + EF 100mm Macro, handheld :
[I have posted this picture previously in this thread but it's a good one to make my point to Jonney]

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Apart from being far more expensive, medium format mirrorless are bulky to carry about in the field. They are more suited to studio and architectural professionals.

Last edited:
Back