Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Yes, so am I... but don't tell "him." I don't need the aggro and abuse.

Don't you mean 'them' the Thompson twins? :ROFLMAO: Are they still at it? I wouldn't know as I blocked both just to annoy them and then forgot they existed for a while

650 is a bit rich for a Samyang I would say, and as pointed out the MF version can be had for a lot cheaper. And 14mm FF ... also pointed out earlier, barely requires AF

.... Are you addressing me, Jonney? You don't make it clear.

Assuming you are, I am satisfied with this standard, shot on my EOS-R + EF 100mm Macro, handheld :
[I have posted this picture previously in this thread but it's a good one to make my point to Jonney]

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Apart from being far more expensive, medium format mirrorless are bulky to carry about in the field. They are more suited to studio and architectural professionals.
Sorry. I was addressing my boi Riz

Can get mf version for £279

That lens is larger and a DSLR design. UWA is one of the main areas where you can save weight/size by going for a short flange distance design.

But point of my post wasn't really in favour of this lens (because I don't think it's worth it) but to point out that 3rd parties have be jumped on RF mount. Only a matter of time before all the lenses that's available on e-mount will be available on RF.

Make it a nice fast f1.4 and it would interest me, mf is fine I don't need af for aurora shots etc anyway. I suppose I'd better get an R series body first though.
There is a Laowa 15mm f2 for RF which is pretty good for such things :)

Humpty dumpty question but does anyone know how to switch back from video mode to stills or photo mode? I have tried everything: mode > info etc but only get options on how to shoot movies!

Press movie/video Button again and it'll revert back to stills

The movie button starts recording movies and stops recording - nothing else (on my camera).
I’m away from my camera at the moment but know when my daughter borrowed it for video it took me a few mins to get it back to photos.
Could be pressing the middle set button brings up the options? Or else the mode button? I know it didn’t feel intuitive! Good luck!

I’m away from my camera at the moment but know when my daughter borrowed it for video it took me a few mins to get it back to photos.
Could be pressing the middle set button brings up the options? Or else the mode button? I know it didn’t feel intuitive! Good luck!

yes its a very unintuitive thing isn't it! Press the set button, then info then select movie shooting. Not easy!

yes its a very unintuitive thing isn't it! Press the set button, then info then select movie shooting. Not easy!

.... This slightly more inconvenient route is done so that the red button for video, called the 'movie button' can be customised for what is in fact a very wide range of other stills functions - Returning a focal point instantly to centre just as one valuable example. Due to the red button's position next to the shutter and also its easy-to-find-when-in-viewfinder size it then becomes very useful indeed.

Logically those who want to shoot video with this camera (I never ever do and never want to) shouldn't mind just a couple of extra steps. The EOS-R afterall is primarily a stills camera. But anyway, can you set a shortcut for movie mode in either a C-mode or your My Menu green tab?

[Btw, although I'm extremely likely to be switching to Olympus I am thinking of keeping my EOS-R for macro]

Last edited:
Been able to go out with my R properly for the first time today. Playing at SunStars through the 16-35 f/4 which seems to go quite well with it.

I do like it and am getting used to it now I have it set up the way I like. Still trying to get my fingers to move around intuitively though...

.... Star flares are a bit marmite but I think it works particularly well on your Fotheringay Light church window photo - It's kinda religious, I have seen the light!

Is SunStars an onboard effect on the R? I have only had it as a direct effect of the sun hitting something shiny.

Thanks Trevor. Now have a decision to make as whether to keep this set up or the Sony with the sigma art.

.... :D There is no such thing as the perfect camera is there? Only you can decide which you prefer from numerous factors and it can be as simple as which you prefer to feel in your hand and not only about a list of specs. Is it perhaps a bit like choosing a girlfriend or wife? Oh hang on, they choose you! :D

That really is a very lovely portrait on so many levels but I guess it doesn't mean you could not have achieved the same high standard on a Sony. As it appears from your Flickr pages that you own both the EOS-R and the Sony, why not set up the same shot and shoot with both cameras and see which results you prefer?

The other factor to consider is which of the two brands offers you your preferred camera system overall [says Robin who is probably going to keep his Canon EOS-R and add an Olympus E-M1X instead of his Canon 1DX-2].

Last edited:
.... :D There is no such thing as the perfect camera is there? Only you can decide which you prefer from numerous factors and it can be as simple as which you prefer to feel in your hand and not only about a list of specs. Is it perhaps a bit like choosing a girlfriend or wife? Oh hang on, they choose you! :D

That really is a very lovely portrait on so many levels but I guess it doesn't mean you could not have achieved the same high standard on a Sony. As it appears from your Flickr pages that you own both the EOS-R and the Sony, why not set up the same shot and shoot with both cameras and see which results you prefer?

The other factor to consider is which of the two brands offers you your preferred camera system overall [says Robin who is probably going to keep his Canon EOS-R and add an Olympus E-M1X instead of his Canon 1DX-2].

Many thanks.

Yeah ideally I'd shoot the same portrait with both. However she's really not that keen on having her photo taken at the moment. I did take both on paid shoot in the week and the Sony was nailing more shots wide open. Although I'm sure the canon would get the job done.

Pros and cons to both. First world problems eh..

Many thanks.

Yeah ideally I'd shoot the same portrait with both. However she's really not that keen on having her photo taken at the moment. I did take both on paid shoot in the week and the Sony was nailing more shots wide open. Although I'm sure the canon would get the job done.

Pros and cons to both. First world problems eh..
What was letting canon down? The eye/face detect specifically?

Thanks

Has anyone tried the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L? Thinking of trading in my 16/35 F4L + 18/35 F1.8A for one.

Awesome images.
I’m waiting for my RP to arrive and also have the 135 F2 to use with it. My 8 year old also hates having his photo taken and I usually have bribe him with something to get the photo :)

It's a cracking lens. Nice and light weight too.

Awesome images.
I’m waiting for my RP to arrive and also have the 135 F2 to use with it. My 8 year old also hates having his photo taken and I usually have bribe him with something to get the photo :)

It's a cracking lens. Nice and light weight too.

Personally I don't think any are great examples of lovely bokeh. Bokeh is obviously scene dependant, distance to subject and background / foreground and what's there etc so it's difficult to judge and to see better and be sure it's better you'd have to see the same shot taken with a different lens etc... but I just thought that the bokeh in these is a bit surprising for a 135mm. Perhaps it's all down the scene and nothing else and that's as good as it gets with any 135mm. Sorry for posting.

Personally I don't think any are great examples of lovely bokeh. Bokeh is obviously scene dependant, distance to subject and background / foreground and what's there etc so it's difficult to judge and to see better and be sure it's better you'd have to see the same shot taken with a different lens etc... but I just thought that the bokeh in these is a bit surprising for a 135mm. Perhaps it's all down the scene and nothing else and that's as good as it gets with any 135mm. Sorry for posting.

i don't think theres a need for an apology.

I don't like to be negative, that's all and I'll be happy to be proved wrong with some different 135mm shots.

Back