Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Just wondering as I'm seeing different reviews on this on youtube etc, but do the R and RP both perform the same AF wise?

Similar technology but R is better, particularly with the recent firmware upgrade that greatly improves eye-AF.

Do you have one? Wondering how you get on with it?

No I don't have one yet, though maybe soon. Not in a rush, so sitting on the fence a little longer to see what the rumoured new Canon mirrorless brings. But if that turns out to be too expensive, or too long a wait, then I'm pretty sure an EOS-R would do me nicely.

TBH I'm more interested in lenses and flash lighting than cameras, so that's where the money's gone for now.

Last edited:
The more extreme these cameras become in terms of specs, the less interested I find myself becoming. The big interest in the R5 seems to be video specs that almost no-one *really* needs. 8K really?, what are you going to view it on? If you have real video needs then get a Cx00 video camera that is designed for video.

I have an R and I enjoy using it, but find it a bit clumsy and slow to use compared to a DSLR. Its main redeeming feature for me is the flippy screen. I never understood why Canon could never put an articulated screen of some sort on its 5D series. :thinking:

The thing that interests me most is Canon finally copping the F on and implementing IBIS. FINALLY. Though it'll be priced beyond me, if either the R or even RP had IBIS I think I'd own one by now.

The thing that interests me most is Canon finally copping the F on and implementing IBIS. FINALLY. Though it'll be priced beyond me, if either the R or even RP had IBIS I think I'd own one by now.

Why, you could've just bought a Sony, which has native lenses (plenty) for way less money. Everyone else is just playing ketchup.

Why, you could've just bought a Sony, which has native lenses (plenty) for way less money. Everyone else is just playing ketchup.

Being honest, I prefer the Canon bodies. I actually really like the look of the RP, if it had IBIS it would be plenty enough for me. There's always been something about Sony's styling and ergos that just put me off. I have come around a bit though, as you know I'm interested in the 7RII now, but still a tad skeptical. I'm not sure I'd get along with the system very well, I might be forcing it a bit

Canon have excellent touch screen, which I really like when it works well, they look comfy cameras, you have access to a shed tonne of older EF glass and I'm not afraid of adapting old to new and much as I tell myself I don't need or want it, a swivel LCD can be very handy. I learned this when I had the Pany G80

Last edited:
I've not looked in the Canon thread for ages, I lost all interest in Canon years ago but looks like they are finally taking the competition seriously and having to step up their game. That's pretty good news for everyone, Sony better watch their backs :)

I've not looked in the Canon thread for ages, I lost all interest in Canon years ago but looks like they are finally taking the competition seriously and having to step up their game. That's pretty good news for everyone, Sony better watch their backs :)

Finally, I don't think Sony need to watch their backs, competition is good but out of all the manufacturers Sony has a massive advantage, their sensors and the AF that goes with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a global shutter in dev for ff, look at the a9, 20fps, no blackout, silent shutter... That was 2017 and nobody can touch it in 2020. They all have tricks up their sleeves and love the trickle effect to get the most financial gain and stay ahead.

For me the Canon RF lenses are just way too expensive.
Yes the primes are F1.2 and the new zoom is F2 but the zoom is over £3k and the primes are £2.5k. Even the standard 24-105 F4 is over £1k :eek: Also the Canon RF 28-70 F2 @ over £3k !!! :police:

For the price of the Canon 85 lens you could buy a Sony A7III and 85mm GM

Why? Because it has crippled 8k and 2 card slots. Woah, awesome. Its a decent spec without detail, but Rip, hardly.
We don't know if it's cropped or crippled (as you put it) 8k. If if they'd brought out an aps-c sensor camera with 8k that wasn't cropped, would that still be a bad thing in your book?

We don't know if it's cropped or crippled (as you put it) 8k. If if they'd brought out an aps-c sensor camera with 8k that wasn't cropped, would that still be a bad thing in your book?

I'm sure Canon will do something to set it apart from their 1 series, why call it an R5 otherwise? On paper it looks super impressive and I hope Canon really goes for Sony's jugular.

Last edited:
From the limited info we have on this R5, what does it offer to photographers (who don't shoot video) that the Sony A9 doesn't already offer?
From what I can tell - nothing... apart from the native glass/adapted glass options. No news on memory card type yet - however if it can record in 8k, then it'll need seriously fast writing capabilities.

Canon has never crippled their video specs. The idea that they held back from offering 120fps or uncropped 4k to protect the cinema line is IMO complete nonsense. They simply haven't had the sensor technology to deliver sufficient sensor readout rates or to do so without overheating.

Their 8K video won't be full sensor readout 10bit 4:2:2 raw 240fps. But it won't be crippled, it'll just be butting up against the limits of their sensor technology.

From the limited info we have on this R5, what does it offer to photographers (who don't shoot video) that the Sony A9 doesn't already offer?

None of my Canon lenses and flash etc will fit on a Sony, so I could never afford to switch even if I wanted to (please don't suggest an adapter). Tens of thousands of Canon users will be thinking the same thing.

None of my Canon lenses and flash etc will fit on a Sony, so I could never afford to switch even if I wanted to (please don't suggest an adapter). Tens of thousands of Canon users will be thinking the same thing.
Adapting is fine unless you shoot sports and wildlife

Canon seem to be in a no win situation with some people. Sl*gged off for bringing out a below par camera in the Eos R, then sl*gged off for bringing a camera out that does potentially compete with the likes of Sony.

Canon seem to be in a no win situation with some people.

Sl*gged off for bringing out a below par camera in the Eos R,
_ By Sony owners

then sl*gged off for bringing a camera out that does potentially compete with the likes of Sony.
- By Sony owners :)

Edit: and before anyone takes it personally (like Sony Owners) .... I'm KIDDING ;)

Last edited:
Adapting is fine unless you shoot sports and wildlife
In all fairness - those of us that have held back from the system /mirrorless jump are sports/wildlife shooters. Where high iso performance, af accuracy & speed, buffer performance and FPS are all of paramount importance. As I’m sure you’re aware, big glass for sports/wildlife is very expensive and af performance improvement is one of the key factors for any sort of upgrade.
Changing systems and using adapted lenses with poorer af performance is non-sensical and the newer systems have excellent but hideously expensive equivalent glass. This new canon could really be the answer for many wildlife/sport photographers wanting to retain the af performance of their top end glass.

^^ this is the main point I think.

I wasn't suggesting anyone swaps from Canon to Sony but this camera is being described as a 'game changer' but I don't see how it changes anything if it is just catching up with the competition. Obviously the 8k video is new and improved but for people that only shoot stills that's a bit useless.
For me, a 'game changer' would be something far superior to anything else on the market from any of the other brands.

I've not bought into the mirrorless Canons because the bodies still seem huge, or at least the FF do and the cost/size of putting my L series lenses onto a sub FF mirrorless Canon body doesn't appeal to me, this latest body doesn't address my issues regarding switching. For me a 2nd hand Fuji and a brace of their XC lenses represents better value for money and a compact system. I feel a bit like a traitor as I've had Canons since the mid 70's and love their handling but I still don't see a way for me to go Canon mirrorless.

I wasn't suggesting anyone swaps from Canon to Sony but this camera is being described as a 'game changer' but I don't see how it changes anything if it is just catching up with the competition. Obviously the 8k video is new and improved but for people that only shoot stills that's a bit useless.
For me, a 'game changer' would be something far superior to anything else on the market from any of the other brands.

It could be a game-changer for Canon users though. And since there are more of us in the total market than all other brands put together, it could turn out to be a game-changer for Sony as well. And that would change the game in all sorts of ways.

It does, to me, seem a bit of a strange choice to bring this out now (well soon), so close to the 1dxiii release. The R5 looks to be better than the 5div, is it going to be too close in spec to the 1dxiii.

I see this as a game changer - for anyone shooting canon glass this looks like a very reasonable move
Excuse my ignorance but don't the new Canon mirrorless bodies have a different mount to the EOS range so you either need new lenses or an adapter anyway?

Excuse my ignorance but don't the new Canon mirrorless bodies have a different mount to the EOS range so you either need new lenses or an adapter anyway?
Yes you need an adapter. However - af performance is not affected. It’s not a question of using an adapter or not - it’s more about not taking a backwards step in performance for your existing glass.

Depending on price this is getting ordered at some point this year....

If you did the maths it would have to be around roughly 70MP sensor for 8K 1.6crop, or 40-45 for full frame. I think the latter is more practical and more likely.

A9 is a fine camera, but personally I would much prefer owning a higher resolution model, be it this R5 or Sony's own A7RIV... I think I'm not alone on this.
You may be better off with A9 or 1DXIII...

Please explain. There are plenty of EF to Sony autofocus adapter. Sigma MC11 is as mainstream as it gets.

RF to Sony is a whole different matter --> impossible. So once you commit to new glass you are stuck. Comparing the two systems there is actually quite little difference in price, but sony has more choice of native glass for now, e.g. 16-35 f/4. I expect this will be the key argument when choosing one if bodies are priced similarly.

I've not bought into the mirrorless Canons because the bodies still seem huge,

That will actually be the main reason I would even consider this an option to replace 5D. The beta test R camera is actually OK in my hand, just OK. I have no desire of gripping body with heavy lens with 2 or 3 fingers.

<snip>

Please explain. There are plenty of EF to Sony autofocus adapter. Sigma MC11 is as mainstream as it gets.

RF to Sony is a whole different matter --> impossible. So once you commit to new glass you are stuck. Comparing the two systems there is actually quite little difference in price, but sony has more choice of native glass for now, e.g. 16-35 f/4. I expect this will be the key argument when choosing one if bodies are priced similarly. <snip>

I am quite happy with Canon EF/RF adapters, but not third party. I'm not going to buy a new whiz-bang camera when I know it won't perform optimally. Same goes for third-party lenses because, as some shrewd observers predicted a long time ago, there are hidden compatibility issues that will take some time to shake out. I'm sure they will be, but I want guaranteed performance, not someone else's problems.

In fact, I actually want to use the Canon EF/RF adapter with built-in ND filter. It's key to some things I want to do but that's a bit off topic for now.

@LongLensPhotography the point on adapting is that EF to RF is no impact, EF to Sony AF speed is too slow for fast action.

Being able to continue to use all my EF lenses and benefit from the new technology is a big factor for me I’ve been very pleased with the R.

really its just double the resolution, then many could argue handling and colour science(though people would say its been debunked many a time)
if its capable of similar AF/iso and buffer then they will be a step ahead.

I will be interested to see what they price it at though. the RF glass how ever good it is is extremely over priced in my eyes... you could buy a a7iii and 85gm for the cost of the 85rf

Back