Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Some randoms, see @RedRobin I dont hate Canon ;)

An impressive little camera, glad a lot of people avoided it and drove the price down, complete bargain and adapted lenses are VERY good, Im pleasantly surprised... honestly, miles better than Sony adapted.

Nice set. Favourite lens?
I have the grip arriving tomorrow.

Nice set. Favourite lens?
I have the grip arriving tomorrow.

My favourite lens for a while has been the 35 ART 1.4, the 85 ART I received recently is the best lens I have used optically, its highly impressive but I dont think 85mm could be my most used focal length. Im still a little undecided about adding a grip.

My favourite lens for a while has been the 35 ART 1.4, the 85 ART I received recently is the best lens I have used optically, its highly impressive but I dont think 85mm could be my most used focal length. Im still a little undecided about adding a grip.
@twist

great shots - is that on an rp or r?

My most impressive birding shot to date :ROFLMAO:

Shot with RP and 85mm ART in crop mode and cropped again post. Looks way softer on Flickr than in LR, not sure why.

Last edited:
I'm quite liking the Internet most hated camera.

A lot of that was from the video heads, I think even many of them changed their minds about it after the firmware updates that improved the video side of things. Seen numerous "I was wrong about the RP" vids doing the rounds post FW

I would love to try one, don't think I would switch from the Fuji but it'd be nice to have along with if I could ever swing it.

A lot of that was from the video heads, I think even many of them changed their minds about it after the firmware updates that improved the video side of things. Seen numerous "I was wrong about the RP" vids doing the rounds post FW

I would love to try one, don't think I would switch from the Fuji but it'd be nice to have along with if I could ever swing it.

That is true, a lot of the complaints were about 24fps. It has got a large crop in 4k but I see theres a workaround now with a speedbooster adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks, all with the RP, EF lenses via adapter.
Thanks @twist

I suppose one last question... does the RP have the same eye af as the R - I've seen videos of the greatly improved firmware update and if that's the same as the RP I'm off to buy one!

Thanks for keeping the thread updated and for being our source of info for the RP.

Chris

Thanks @twist

I suppose one last question... does the RP have the same eye af as the R - I've seen videos of the greatly improved firmware update and if that's the same as the RP I'm off to buy one!

Thanks for keeping the thread updated and for being our source of info for the RP.

Chris

From everything Ive read (incl Canon statement) the AF performance is identical. The RP does have eye AF, its very good, even on the old 1.2 FW it was decent, but obtains a lock on the eye at much further distances with 1.4 and is stickier.

Last edited:
That is true, a lot of the complaints were about 24fps. It has got a large crop in 4k but I see theres a workaround now with a speedbooster adapter.

Video is something I very rarely make use of, and from the reviews I watched, unless it's for pro level video work you're best off just going with 1080p in general - much less taxing on your system if you plan to do any post editing.

Sadly a lot of potential buyers were put off the RP because of all these negative earlier reviews, not realising the video side was really the only valid nit picking, none of this concerning stills photography. Ok, the poor DR at higher ISO is there, but once you are aware of this going in you work within it's limits. For the price it goes right now it's a it of a steal

Video is something I very rarely make use of, and from the reviews I watched, unless it's for pro level video work you're best off just going with 1080p in general - much less taxing on your system if you plan to do any post editing.

Sadly a lot of potential buyers were put off the RP because of all these negative earlier reviews, not realising the video side was really the only valid nit picking, none of this concerning stills photography. Ok, the poor DR at higher ISO is there, but once you are aware of this going in you work within it's limits. For the price it goes right now it's a it of a steal

The DR at higher ISO is comparable to other FF, at base (ISO100) the A9 has 1.2 stops lead, at ISO300 the lead drops to 0.5 stop from there theres not really any difference that would be noticeable.

Ive shot quite a bit in the past few days at ISO100, 1/4000, F1.4 and havent had an issue recovering blown areas in RAW (pulling highlights and whites all the way back in LR without any issue, then mask burning on top of that if required). I can see that if I really mess up and underexpose heavily that 2 stop Sony advantage will show, but I only really mess up that bad when Im doing a torture test to see how far I can push the sensor. More DR is always welcome but so far so good.

Noise wise, identical to the A9, it has a nice character with no real horrible chroma.

anyone selling an R or RP Body ?
reading the thread I'm curious to try one ...

.... I'm selling my EOS-R plus accessories such as Canon battery grip etc. Have you posted in Wanted yet please?

EDIT :
I found your wanted post and am in there.

Last edited:
Very much liking my RP. Had to free up some funds and get rid of the R, but part of me likes the RP a little bit more for its compact nature. Great little thing. Just need a nice lens now really!

Can anyone confirm this - I believe there’s a difference between the eos r and rp for manual focusing - the eos r has a feature called mf assist using a series of arrows associated with an af point and the rp simply has focus peaking - is this correct ?

thanks

Yes, that's correct.

@toohuge

Im not sure if the focus guide from the R works with MF focus lenses that havent got electronic contacts either, so worth checking.

EDIT, looks like the lens does need a chip.

Last edited:
Do you think the R5 will have a CFExpress card slot and does anyone have any comments on whether if so you would buy SanDisk or ProGrade (or another brand)?

Do you think the R5 will have a CFExpress card slot and does anyone have any comments on whether if so you would buy SanDisk or ProGrade (or another brand)?

I wouldn't spend any money until its confirmed but its rumoured to use 1 CFE and 1 SD UHSii.

Yes, especially at their prices! I'm creating a wish list and getting ready so won't buy anything just yet.
Do you have any knowledge re. ProGrade? I've never used them before but they're a bit cheaper.

I wouldn't spend any money until its confirmed but its rumoured to use 1 CFE and 1 SD UHSii.

@toohuge

Im not sure if the focus guide from the R works with MF focus lenses that havent got electronic contacts either, so worth checking.

EDIT, looks like the lens does need a chip.
Thanks Twist! Looks like I'm back to the RP :)

Just to add a bit more information for others reading - I'll be adapting Nikon lenses to the RP - using manual focus - hence my interest in the focus assist - which will not apply to Nikon manual lenses.

Last edited:
Has the HSS banding issue been completely sorted now on the Canon eos-r models? I can't find a definitive answer... and I'm planning on using HSS with this new camera...

I'll be getting a HSS enabled trigger in a few days so I guess I may find out soon enough.

Last edited:
IMG_20200401_140002_1.jpg

Well having looked all over the Web for confirmation of whether old 3rd party lenses will work with AF on the R and rp, all I found was the official line that they are not fully supported.

I recently tried the old sigma 105 os macro lens which worked fine. Now I picked up a used 70-200 f2.8 os. Happy to report it works in all af modes. Hopefully get some photos up in the next few days.

Bought the RF 70-200 to save on some weight over my EF version with the idea of traveling for my planned trip to New Zealand in December. Obviously not been able to get out with it yet, but here is a photo I snapped of the garden through the dining room window. The body is the R.

Back