Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Agreed, I'd buy a camera made by Whirlpool if it suited my needs :D

Arsenal ... eurgh ... kidding, I don't support anyone, used to say 'whoever my money is on' but I don't gamble no more either ;)

I don't get the anti-adapting lens thing whatsoever, if it works and works well, what's the issue? I mean, is it some mind block or somthing? [asking in general not to you johhny] that you'll somehow feel it's not right if you're using an adapter? Is it an OCD thing? Don't know about anyone else but for me end results matter most, not how my gear looks
I dunno. If it works, why bother creating new native lenses if the old ef ones work? Why not just update the ef lenses then?

There has got to be better performance in native lenses vs ef adapted

But those are the same or cheaper than FE. Isn't there a ef laowa?

The 15-35mm is the same but less of them around on the used market so it's more expensive.
The 24-105mm my main lens is cheaper but I'd make some loss selling.
The tamron 70-180 is cheaper. May be they'll make a RF version soon.

Yes my laowa is the EF version.

But I could start out with just 24-105 and a prime, then slowly build the collection again. But it is a bit of a hassle. I am not yet sure what I'll gain. Hence waiting for reviews.

The 15-35mm is the same but less of them around on the used market so it's more expensive.
The 24-105mm my main lens is cheaper but I'd make some loss selling.
The tamron 70-180 is cheaper. May be they'll make a RF version soon.

Yes my laowa is the EF version.

But I could start out with just 24-105 and a prime, then slowly build the collection again. But it is a bit of a hassle. I am not yet sure what I'll gain. Hence waiting for reviews.

Definitely worth waiting. Its a lot of cash.

I dunno. If it works, why bother creating new native lenses if the old ef ones work? Why not just update the ef lenses then?

There has got to be better performance in native lenses vs ef adapted

Because money! They know they can milk the big spenders. Reckon they make a tonne more on lenses than they do on bodies. And sure, the newer lenses might be better, but you're paying a premium and some people would rather have a bunch of lenses for the price of just one

Without telling, and people who buy the highest end gear do like to remind us, do you think anyone would notice your image was shot with either an RF or EF lens?

Last edited:

Another player in the FF mirrorless arena would indeed be a good thing. The funny thing with all the anti-Sony (or anti-Canon) is that having them push each other is a good thing, all things considered. Canon appear to have seen a fair few EF diehards move to Sony during the past few years, they had to smash these cameras out of the park to stop that (and they have, by the looks of things). Canon also have a bit of history as far as intentionally hobbling cameras via firmware etc, particularly below the top-line stuff, I'm not sure if the R6 would be quite the camera it is without the a7III being in existence at the price point it is. I'm not sure if the Nikon efforts alone (i.e. if Sony didn't exist) would have had Canon being quite so aggressive on features with these models.

Swings and roundabouts anyhow, as these latest announcements will also keep Sony and Nikon on their toes and hopefully push them on, in the cycle continues.

Another player in the FF mirrorless arena would indeed be a good thing. The funny thing with all the anti-Sony (or anti-Canon) is that having them push each other is a good thing, all things considered. Canon appear to have seen a fair few EF diehards move to Sony during the past few years, they had to smash these cameras out of the park to stop that (and they have, by the looks of things). Canon also have a bit of history as far as intentionally hobbling cameras via firmware etc, particularly below the top-line stuff, I'm not sure if the R6 would be quite the camera it is without the a7III being in existence at the price point it is. I'm not sure if the Nikon efforts alone (i.e. if Sony didn't exist) would have had Canon being quite so aggressive on features with these models.

Swings and roundabouts anyhow, as these latest announcements will also keep Sony and Nikon on their toes and hopefully push them on, in the cycle continues.

I don't know why I chose them, since our washing machine broke down, they can't even get that right :ROFLMAO:

I think if Canon had got it right from the off, if these cameras had been released instead of the R/Rp they'd be killing it right now. I'm merely a spectator, no loyalty to any one brand but if the cash landed on my lap right now I'd be ordering an R6 over anything else. I mean, we could say the A7III wouldn't be the camera it is today if not for Olympus and Panasonic paving the way into ML to begin with.

If only they had a R5.5 ( R6 with a 45mp sensor for cropping at an extra couple of £hundred) in the pipeline I would have had one from release. I regularly crop my 36mp FF sensor to 2/3mp files or smaller so 20mp just isn't enough for BIF. Really not interested in the video side though.

Arsenal ... eurgh ... kidding, I don't support anyone, used to say 'whoever my money is on' but I don't gamble no more either ;)

I don't get the anti-adapting lens thing whatsoever, if it works and works well, what's the issue? I mean, is it some mind block or somthing? [asking in general not to you johhny] that you'll somehow feel it's not right if you're using an adapter? Is it an OCD thing? Don't know about anyone else but for me end results matter most, not how my gear looks

It's in the mind, but each to their own. If I get an R6* it'll be with an RF 24-105/4 L because that's a better lens than my EF Mk1, not because it's RF. None of the other four Canon EF lenses that I use regularly are available yet in RF anyway but that's no problem at all IMHO - they'll work the same as ever, just with better AF :cool:

*To those lusting after the mixed blessings of the R5, bear in mind that to make use of way too many pixels and 8K video, you'll need to budget at least a grand for CFExpress cards and a new nuclear powered PC.

ps SanDisk 256GB CFEx card costs £500 and lasts 13 minutes at 8K :eek: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Cfexpress-256GB-1700MB/dp/B07WXMRDKK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=24CL6ZHTN4J51&dchild=1&keywords=cfexpress+card+256gb&qid=1594391534&sprefix=cfexpress+card+256gb,aps,162&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Because money! They know they can milk the big spenders. Reckon they make a tonne more on lenses than they do on bodies. And sure, the newer lenses might be better, but you're paying a premium and some people would rather have a bunch of lenses for the price of just one

Without telling, and people who buy the highest end gear do like to remind us, do you think anyone would notice your image was shot with either an RF or EF lens?

im not massively fussed with the cost of the RF glass right now. most of it seems to be excellent and f1.2 aperture stuff is always going to come at a premium. prices will drop eventually and thats fine as right now the adapted stuff is doing a great job for me and there are some SERIOUS bargains around for used ef mount glass. sure id love that compact rf 70-200 - but at £900 my ef version is no slouch.

we are now starting to see more budget friendly offerings being released. theres nearly something for everyone.

imo the R6 will sell like hot cakes. i can only imagine reservations on it will be the modest 20mp sensor. can tell by looking at it its going to be very nice to use. i was going to order today but have sadly had too big jobs postponed from october to next easter! so i may hold fire for a bit.

Last edited:
If only they had a R5.5 ( R6 with a 45mp sensor for cropping at an extra couple of £hundred) in the pipeline I would have had one from release. I regularly crop my 36mp FF sensor to 2/3mp files or smaller so 20mp just isn't enough for BIF. Really not interested in the video side though.

i was thinking this as well, while I am new to BIF, getting clear images Is essential and while a uncropped image may look brilliant, it’s the frustration of when you crop in and see the noise that can be really unflattering in the final image. My next camera is set to be either a M50 or M6 MKII for BIF and wildlife in general. Once I get used to that, I will then start saving for the FF Mirrorless should it be a R or R6.

No but I'll notice it and will enjoy it more taking shots in a specific camera.

The cameras are tools to please u and me, not the viewer, your buying this tool to satisfy your needs bro.

I don't know why I chose them, since our washing machine broke down, they can't even get that right :ROFLMAO:

I think if Canon had got it right from the off, if these cameras had been released instead of the R/Rp they'd be killing it right now. I'm merely a spectator, no loyalty to any one brand but if the cash landed on my lap right now I'd be ordering an R6 over anything else. I mean, we could say the A7III wouldn't be the camera it is today if not for Olympus and Panasonic paving the way into ML to begin with.

I'm still happy with the RP and I tend to get rid if I don't like, for the money it's very good but the value really comes in with adapted lenses.

Sony had milc on their roadmap for a very long time, they kind of started it by implementing pelical design into a modern camera, then in 2013 they released the nex3. Epson is the grandfather of mirrorless though.

It's in the mind, but each to their own. If I get an R6* it'll be with an RF 24-105/4 L because that's a better lens than my EF Mk1, not because it's RF. None of the other four Canon EF lenses that I use regularly are available yet in RF anyway but that's no problem at all IMHO - they'll work the same as ever, just with better AF :cool:

*To those lusting after the mixed blessings of the R5, bear in mind that to make use of way too many pixels and 8K video, you'll need to budget at least a grand for CFExpress cards and a new nuclear powered PC.

ps SanDisk 256GB CFEx card costs £500 and lasts 13 minutes at 8K :eek: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Cfexpress-256GB-1700MB/dp/B07WXMRDKK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=24CL6ZHTN4J51&dchild=1&keywords=cfexpress+card+256gb&qid=1594391534&sprefix=cfexpress+card+256gb,aps,162&sr=8-2

I do wonder how many will actually take advantage of that 8K? You're PC is probably going to need to cost as much! And then even when you manage to process/edit your footage who's watching it full res? right now, nobody I imagine

I do wonder how many will actually take advantage of that 8K? You're PC is probably going to need to cost as much! And then even when you manage to process/edit your footage who's watching it full res? right now, nobody I imagine
Not my pc. I've just upgraded to something that will blow your mind

No but I'll notice it and will enjoy it more taking shots in a specific camera.

The cameras are tools to please u and me, not the viewer, your buying this tool to satisfy your needs bro.

I'm also buying within my budget, if I think I can get the same result or very close to and save a couple hundred I will. I won't mind using an adapter

I'm also buying within my budget, if I think I can get the same result or very close to and save a couple hundred I will. I won't mind using an adapter

Canon has some of the best lenses ever made, not as if they are crap now.

Threadripper 3960x with 64gb ram and pci e 4.0 nvme hdd.

Nice, do you have an RTX gpu? for all that ray tracing stuffs? I got a 2600x with 16GB 3200mhz RAM, just the standard Gtx 1660 but it runs everything I need it to without hassle. I don't really edit video, would probably have saved a bit more and gone for a 3600x with 32GB RAM if I did

Canon has some of the best lenses ever made, not as if they are crap now.

They have some fantastic lenses aye, and many that can be had for very little used. Canon EF is also the most adaptable friendly line out there, even when adapted to Fuji or Sony they can work very nicely. I did dabble with that for a bit, the adapter required for Fuji is pricey though, costs more than some of the lenses I was using

I'm still happy with the RP and I tend to get rid if I don't like, for the money it's very good but the value really comes in with adapted lenses.

Sony had milc on their roadmap for a very long time, they kind of started it by implementing pelical design into a modern camera, then in 2013 they released the nex3. Epson is the grandfather of mirrorless though.

Twist just out of curiosity which adapter do you use, the standard one or the control ring one which can be programmed for functions within the triangle?

Nice, do you have an RTX gpu? for all that ray tracing stuffs? I got a 2600x with 16GB 3200mhz RAM, just the standard Gtx 1660 but it runs everything I need it to without hassle. I don't really edit video, would probably have saved a bit more and gone for a 3600x with 32GB RAM if I did

They have some fantastic lenses aye, and many that can be had for very little used. Canon EF is also the most adaptable friendly line out there, even when adapted to Fuji or Sony they can work very nicely. I did dabble with that for a bit, the adapter required for Fuji is pricey though, costs more than some of the lenses I was using
Yea got a 2080 ti

Yea got a 2080 ti

Tasty! will you get the new 3080 when it lands? I will upgrade some day but for now the 1660 runs the games I like on high to ultra without any probs, I don't play any fps games so high framerate isn't a concern once I'm getting 60 at least for smooth gameplay, also 1080p gaming does the job for me. It's so much better than my old laptop and I've found LR to run nice and smooth too even with a good batch of RAW files.

Last edited:
Tasty! I will upgrade some day but for now the 1660 runs the games I like on high to ultra without any probs, so much better than my old laptop and I've found LR to run nice and smooth too even with a good batch of RAW files.

Its easy to go overboard with PCs... much like photography!

Its easy to go overboard with PCs... much like photography!

Yeah I'm happy with what I got for now, really nice little system - cheers to you for the help, or I'd have gone for a mediocre used PC possibly riddled with issues ;) Looking ahead to games like Cyberpunk/Horizon Zero Dawn/AC Valhalla and beyond though, I will at some stage upgrade the Gpu. There wouldn't be any point to me going higher spec for now anyway as the monitor I got is only 60hz, 1080p - but I will upgrade that at some point too.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm happy with what I got, really nice little system - cheers to you for the help, or I'd have gone for a mediocre used PC possibly riddled with issues ;) There wouldn't be any point to me going higher spec for now anyway as the monitor I got is only 60hz, 1080p

Yeah, its a nice setup, far from slow for everyday stuff that doesnt involve heavy rendering or encoding. Likewise, I could upgrade my GPU from the 1660 but then I also need to upgrade to another new 4k gaming monitor because mine isnt 144hz because ideally I put V sync on to avoid tearing which limits the FPS to 60 anyway! So thats £800 for a new monitor and £1200 for a 2080ti to play GTAV in 4K at 60FPS+ instead of 1440P at like 80-100FPS+. Not going to happen.

Yeah, its a nice setup, far from slow for everyday stuff that doesnt involve heavy rendering or encoding. Likewise, I could upgrade my GPU from the 1660 but then I also need to upgrade to another new 4k gaming monitor because mine isnt 144hz because ideally I put V sync on to avoid tearing which limits the FPS to 60 anyway! So thats £800 for a new monitor and £1200 for a 2080ti to play GTAV in 4K at 60FPS+ instead of 1440P at like 80-100FPS+. Not going to happen.

If you're not a big gamer it's definitely not worth it. I can run the likes of the Witcher III on all ultra settings [minus the ridiculous 'Nvidia hair works'] with the 1660, just got to check in on the fans now and then :D I'd like a better monitor though, this one is really just a HDTV, but it is a 24" and little to complain about colour/IQ wise, never given me any grief.

If you're not a big gamer it's definitely not worth it. I can run the likes of the Witcher III on all ultra settings [minus the ridiculous 'Nvidia hair works'] with the 1660, just got to check in on the fans now and then :D I'd like a better monitor though, this one is really just a HDTV, but it is a 24" and little to complain about colour/IQ wise, never given me any grief.

Lol, hair works... must be like GTA V Grass.

The R5 looks like what should have come out two years ago. The only flaw I can see from the specs in the battery life, but then it is mirrorless. ;)

Not really, cipa ratings are nonsense. You can usually double or triple them.

The R5 looks like what should have come out two years ago. The only flaw I can see from the specs in the battery life, but then it is mirrorless. ;)

Should have come out sooner, not sure about 2yrs, but I still think it'll do very well and sway a lot of people back to Canon. Maybe no so much the R5, but the R6 definitely

My condolences. ;) :LOL:

*Sniggers* at least we get entertainment with AFTV. On a more serious note whenever I am lucky enough to see a match at Anfield, I look at the photographers and think they are so lucky, using that fantastic equipment but also getting paid to photograph the action at my favourite stadium.

Getting back to topic, it will be interesting to see if the new models live up to the hype in the coming weeks / month. Being a photographer is expensive but addictive

i guess the RP is the entry level...and will there be an APSC version of the R line with RF-S lenses?

Do they even need it if you can get a R5, electronic shutter at 20fps and crop to your heart’s content.

An R5 alone costs more than most APSC systems, inc lenses, so no it's not even comparable. The RP is indeed their entry level and will remain so I'd imagine, otherwise just go with the EOS-M line

An R5 alone costs more than most APSC systems, inc lenses, so no it's not even comparable. The RP is indeed their entry level and will remain so I'd imagine, otherwise just go with the EOS-M line

While I love the look of the R5 & R6, it is the price that will delay me from getting either. At the end of the month I will have enough money to get the M6 MKII, while it isn’t FF, it will do as an entry into Mirrorless with a very reasonable 14fps. Then if I get hooked on Mirrorless and get good enough BIF results on the M6, then I may just save for the R which I hope will get a small price drop in the coming months. That way I will do Wildlife & Macro on the M6, and then things like Photoshoots & landscapes on the R. I have all the EF lenses I need for Photoshoots, Wildlife, Sports, Landscapes. So am thinking that the R could be the way to go for FF Mirrorles, especially as I have plenty of compati batteries from my 7D & 5D MKIII.

Back