Canon EOS R Series Cameras

That's pretty impressive.
Still waiting for dynamic range tests on R5.
If I wasn't such a MP whore I'd be sold on R6 :D

Guy from the video confirmed R5 and R6 AF exactly the same. So that confirms paper specs above are correct, nice. Canon DR is usually lower at base than Sony but pulls ahead at higher ISOs. Wait and see.

That's pretty impressive.
Still waiting for dynamic range tests on R5.
If I wasn't such a MP whore I'd be sold on R6 :D

lol, 30mp...that would be ideal. I’m reluctant to go from 22 (mk2) to 30 (mk4) then down to 25 (A73)and then down to 20, I actually found myself wanting more MP for my Japan trips.

lol, 30mp...that would be ideal. I’m reluctant to go from 22 (mk2) to 30 (mk4) then down to 25 (A73)and then down to 20, I actually found myself wanting more MP for my Japan trips.

Why? Doesnt it make more sense to just use a zoom or change your lens (about £2000 more sense)?

For me? MP count ceased to be a thing years ago (I’d rather have 20mp than 40), 4K video is a ‘nice to have’ as TVs have got bigger, I rarely shoot video - but when I do it should be as high quality as my TV otherwise why bother?

But the fastest and most accurate AF is fundamental to me. If I’m not focussing the camera myself, I want the machine that’s doing it to be better than me, otherwise what’s the point of it? My first goes with an AF camera (which doesn’t feel that long ago) were an exercise in frustration as it wasn’t as quick as me and would too often pick the wrong target. Eye AF should be the best thing for me since digital.

It's just almost every review or preview I see nowadays concentrates more on video features, amount of MP and how lightening fast AF is - I find the AF even on much older models sufficient, but then I rarely if ever shoot anything faster moving than a person walking. I can get with AF improtance for those who need it but the rest puzzles me at times. I've seen reviewers list lower MP count or cropped 4K as cons for example, for what are essentially stills photography cameras with video bunged in as a bonus. Or that's how this whole hybrid thing began.

By the end of this month I would have saved almost a grand for the M6 Mark II, however having seen the amazing AF on the R5 & R6, I am seriously considering saving for the R5 as even with the crop mode at 1.6x, on my 100-400, at a focal view of 640mm with a resolution of 5088x3392, which isn't too bad, even with a manual crop during PP, there would be even less loss of quality. Also with the camera being lighter than both my 7D & 5D MKIII, making it an ideal FF travel camera.

By the end of this month I would have saved almost a grand for the M6 Mark II, however having seen the amazing AF on the R5 & R6, I am seriously considering saving for the R5 as even with the crop mode at 1.6x, on my 100-400, at a focal view of 640mm with a resolution of 5088x3392, which isn't too bad, even with a manual crop during PP, there would be even less loss of quality. Also with the camera being lighter than both my 7D & 5D MKIII, making it an ideal FF travel camera.

Save up if you can wait.

I guess it comes down to how much you value that once in a blue moon then.

That's why i am holding off getting an R3 until it gets to a level that i can justify it. I could get an R2 but different battery would annoy me.

@Cagey75

Canon_RF_85mm_F2_Macro_004.jpeg

Odd in that recent preview video the woman showed the lens appeared to have Internal focus, might be that she was aiming at infinity toward a window, if that's it fully extended at closest focus it's not so bad so long as it's quiet

Last edited:
Odd in that recent preview video the woman showed the lens appeared to have Internal focus, might be that she was aiming at infinity toward a window, if that's it fully extended at closest focus it's not so bad so long as it's quiet

if its like the RF 35mm it'll make some noise for sure.

Save up if you can wait.

Yes I think I will do that as I may regret it if I rush out to buy a crop mirrorless and then wanting a FF mirrorless, not to mention any M lenses where I have more than capable glass for every type of photography that I currently do. The reality is that I only use a crop for that extra reach on wildlife, everything else is done Full Frame, so really is a no brainer in getting a single body that can do both and a whole lot more.

Hope Sony can do a firmware update the Canon animal eye AF must be the world leader now its very impressive.

Rob.

Hope Sony can do a firmware update the Canon animal eye AF must be the world leader now its very impressive.

Rob.

would be interesting to see if they react at all.
though at the moment its only a few tests in certain situations albeit really promising ones.

A Tuber I follow referred to the R5 as an over priced M50 :police::popcorn:

As I have no camera at the moment I took advantage of the Canon free hire offer with an RP.
The focus system seems quite good, this was doing over 100mph in dull conditions.
Not impressed with the lack of camera profile in ACR though!

0029_1.jpg

Another one here going the other way..
Zoom!!

Last edited:
As I have no camera at the moment I took advantage of the Canon free hire offer with an RP.
The focus system seems quite good, this was doing over 100mph in dull conditions.
Not impressed with the lack of camera profile in ACR though!

View attachment 286496

This might help, seems you can fairly easily us the 6dii profile.

This might help, seems you can fairly easily us the 6dii profile.

I've already done that, I used "Camera Standard" for these shots, I was just p***ed that Canon or Adobe hadn't bothered that's all, anyway it will be irrelevant after tomorrow when the camera goes back.

Last edited:
I've already done that, I used "Camera Standard" for these shots, I was just p***ed that Canon or Adobe hadn't bothered that's all.

Yeah, seems adobe's having issues with the newer cr3 format, pretty poor they couldn't be bothered.

Is there anything about R5/R6 that makes the R a poor choice for Stills shooters ?

Is there anything about R5/R6 that makes the R a poor choice for Stills shooters ?

were they ever a good choice? ;)
Sorry couldn't resist....
but basically looking at the improvements in AF it seems R/RP might be at the limits of how much they can update it (AF-wise) with the old processor. The new processor in R5/6 seems be a very good upgrade in terms of AF. So for stills if you are into shooting actions or tracking R5/6 might be a better choice. Of course the older bodies are cheaper though.

were they ever a good choice? ;)
Sorry couldn't resist....
but basically looking at the improvements in AF it seems R/RP might be at the limits of how much they can update it (AF-wise) with the old processor. The new processor in R5/6 seems be a very good upgrade in terms of AF. So for stills if you are into shooting actions or tracking R5/6 might be a better choice. Of course the older bodies are cheaper though.

Thats always the pesky catch, price vs performance/features.

and a joystick!

Not all joysticks are equal. some too small. some in the wrong place. ive quickly adapted to using the the focus drag it feels like second nature now. im not even sure if i'll use the joystick on the R6. But its definitely good to have the option to use one.

Last edited:
Back