Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Id be more concerned about using a single 512GB card than 1 card slot. If it were me Id go 128GB CFE for £165 and a 128GB SD. Pro video guys can afford bigger cards for 8K.

for me its about redundancy. so I'd go with the 128GB CFE. I am sure by the time I can afford an R5 these be will slightly cheaper too :p

Thank you for that, was bored so downloaded and imported them into Lightroom Classic. Spent a little bit of time on the cheetah, reducing noise slightly, recovering detail and colour. Now I know that F11 is often a sweet stop for sharpness but when zoomed in and seeing individual fur particles is really impressive. Gotta say that I am looking forward in seeing more in the weeks / months to come.

On a side note, I was looking at memory card prices and had to sit down when I saw that the price for a 512gb CF Express card is around £700 . Maybe a dual UHS-II SD slot on the R6 isn’t so bad after all.

no worries.

ive not taken a look at the raw files myself as i can't see myself using the glass. im sure he will do another test on some other lenses that i'd be more likely to use.

For those interested in the FPS of 12 FPS mechanical shutter and 20 FPS electronic shutter, it turns out that these speeds are only on certain RF / EF lenses and what apertures are being used. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find as yet to what lenses they are, but will continue to do research on this.

For those interested in the FPS of 12 FPS mechanical shutter and 20 FPS electronic shutter, it turns out that these speeds are only on certain RF / EF lenses and what apertures are being used. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find as yet to what lenses they are, but will continue to do research on this.

I knew that would be the case and its nothing surprising. Sony A9 is the same. Its more the lenses' limitations than the body itself. Not much one can do about this. Canon does have the advantage that most of their RF lenses are coming out with 20fps in mind unlike Sony ones.

If i can get about 8fps reliably I'd be happy. 10-12fps would be cherry on the cake.

i am struggling to process R5 raws. The abode DNG converter doesn't work and neither does LR. :(

I knew that would be the case and its nothing surprising. Sony A9 is the same. Its more the lenses' limitations than the body itself. Not much one can do about this. Canon does have the advantage that most of their RF lenses are coming out with 20fps in mind unlike Sony ones.

If i can get about 8fps reliably I'd be happy. 10-12fps would be cherry on the cake.

It is going to be interesting in finding out which lens are capable of what speeds. While it isn’t necessarily a deal breaker, it would be nice to get some acceptable results with current glass.

i am struggling to process R5 raws. The abode DNG converter doesn't work and neither does LR. :(

That is strange as I had no problem importing them into LR Classic

20fps is a pig to cull. My A9 was on medium all the time.

I guess if you're filming 8k or 4k 120, you'd be forever swapping cards... 512gb stores around 25 mins of footage iirc.... but yeah if you're not doing that I'd personally be wary using such a large card for photos...

Isn't 120 just for slow mo in 4K? you're not going to be using this a whole tonne I'd imagine? I can get about 80 minutes of 4K 24fps on the X-H1 on a 32GB SD card. I would say only regular vloggers/videographers need much more

it makes for great marketing number and Tony Northrup seems to think it will get his money shot one day.
but I still fail to see how it helps over 10-12fps. Beyond that I just see it as spraying and praying at which point just record it all in 24fps 8K and screen grab lol.

Correct. Most will only want 4K60 for day to day stuff or like you say 24/30.

I always set mine to 24 fps 1/48th, it's what they shoot most movies at so good enough for me :D I rarely use video though, the odd time.

it makes for great marketing number and Tony Northrup seems to think it will get his money shot one day.
but I still fail to see how it helps over 10-12fps. Beyond that I just see it as spraying and praying at which point just record it all in 24fps 8K and screen grab lol.

Panasonic cameras had a 4K 30 fps video mode that split all the frames into stills automatically once you stopped recording, you could flick through the footage and delete unwanted frames in cam too. I believe the stills were something like 10mp a piece, if Canon had such a feature for 8K it would be pretty sweet, you'll get 20mp stills or so?

Panasonic cameras had a 4K 30 fps video mode that split all the frames into stills automatically once you stopped recording, you could flick through the footage and delete unwanted frames in cam too. I believe the stills were something like 10mp a piece, if Canon had such a feature for 8K it would be pretty sweet, you'll get 20mp stills or so?

Panasonic have 4K and 6K photo on some of their cameras giving an 8MP or 18MP still, JPEG only I believe

Canon have 8k stills AFAIK, 33mp at 8k. Pretty sweet, so 33mp at 30fps! Raw.

Panasonic have 4K and 6K photo on some of their cameras giving an 8MP or 18MP still, JPEG only I believe

It was the G80 I had so just the 4K, think the G9/GH5 had the 6K mode? Still pretty sweet for those must capture moments.

Canon have 8k stills AFAIK, 33mp at 8k. Pretty sweet, so 33mp at 30fps! Raw.

That's is pretty sweet. I played with the 4K one on the Pany a little just in the garden and it was impressive, I was just too lazy to go through 30 frames each time to select the best one/s

You could set the SS just as you would for still btw, didn't have to follow the 180 degree video rule

Last edited:
It was the G80 I had so just the 4K, think the G9/GH5 had the 6K mode? Still pretty sweet for those must capture moments.

That's is pretty sweet. I played with the 4K one on the Pany a little just in the garden and it was impressive, I was just too lazy to go through 30 frames each time to select the best one/s

You could set the SS just as you would for still btw, didn't have to follow the 180 degree video rule

Yeah, that makes sense, most cameras I have used have manual exposure in video.

Yeah, that makes sense, most cameras I have used have manual exposure in video.

For video you need to stick to that rule or you get weird motion, basically you're good to go setting the shutter speed to double the frame rate [hence why videographers tend to use ND filters a lot more than photographers or they'll be at F16 often], if it's for extracting stills then you can use the same settings you would for stills only.

For video you need to stick to that rule or you get weird motion, basically you're good to go setting the shutter speed to double the frame rate [hence why videographers tend to use ND filters a lot more than photographers or they'll be at F16 often], if it's for extracting stills then you can use the same settings you would for stills only.

I know :) We were talking about still grabbing from video where it doesnt apply.

Last edited:
I know :) We were talking about still grabbing from video where it doesnt apply.

Yeah, I was as much explaining it to myself I think :ROFLMAO:

I'm not a video guy that's for certain, but I have watched some videos by pro videograhers who showed the difference in frame rates for video in particuar. Best and simplest explaiation was the difference between TV broadcasts and cinematic movies. Most TV studios apparently use 30-60 fps, and you get that more clinical/TV standard look, where Hollywood blockbusters use 24fps, more motion in movement, more fluid and 'film-like'

New firmware for the R and RP, not to exciting...

1. Support has been added for the following lenses:
    1. Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM
    2. Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM
    3. Canon EXTENDER RF 1.4×
    4. Canon EXTENDER RF 2×
  2. The operation of playing back through the multi-function bar has been improved *
    * please refer to the latest version of the camera’s Instruction Manual that is released with the firmware update.R only
  3. Support for the Battery Pack LP-E6NH has been added. R only

RP
Sigma 35mm 1.4
ISO 8000
F1.4
1/100
(Dark)

What is up with flickr softening stuff.

Beautiful kitty - lovely shot, impressive at such high ISO

Flickr has been a bit iffy since they started charging p.m ironically ... not much difference here on my screen between on here and your image on flickr though in this case?

Beautiful kitty - lovely shot, impressive at such high ISO

Flickr has been a bit iffy since they started charging p.m ironically ... not much difference here on my screen between on here and your image on flickr though in this case?

In LR it is much sharper, it could be they have changed something when it actually goes to import. Meh, I guess it is free.

In LR it is much sharper, it could be they have changed something when it actually goes to import. Meh, I guess it is free.

After any update I always double check that settings haven't messed up for exporting. I just turn everything to 11 in that case, highest res poss, same when I upload to flickr, never bother to downsize.

After any update I always double check that settings haven't messed up for exporting. I just turn everything to 11 in that case, highest res poss, same when I upload to flickr, never bother to downsize.

Yeah, could be, will have to do some tests.

Flickr are unfortunately going the same way as Instagram and Facebook when it comes to degrading the quality of image. To the untrained eye they look fantastic, but when you purpos look for softness on social media, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Great shot tho twist, out feline friends are not the easiest to photograph, I am just thankful we don’t need to ask their permission to sign release forms.

I really miss our 2 kittys :/ they were my main models when the kids got older and refused to pose unless there was a major reason. I don't just miss them solely for that reason of course, they were more close to my partner, she treated them like babies - but I was their Alpha, they'd come to me for provisions .... also follow me around when I was doing my bit of macro in the garden and chase off all of the 'prey' they felt I was hunting :ROFLMAO: bless 'em, they thought they were helping - I wonder how many bees and butterflys they thought I was eating per day :thinking:

Last edited:
Have just seen a more footage of the R5 with eye af tracking. Looks right up there with the best.

Finally found information on the compatible lenses in regards to FPS, still need to get information on 3rd party lenses as there are quite a few owners of the Sigma 150-600 amongst others out there.

EF Lenses Supporting 12 Shots/Sec. Continuous ShootingWith the drive mode set to [](High-speed continuous shooting+), the EF lenses with which 12 shots per second is possible are as follows (as of July 2020).

EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF28mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF35mm f/1.4L II USM
EF35mm f/2 IS USM
EF40mm f/2.8 STM
EF50mm f/1.8 STM
EF85mm f/1.4L IS USM
EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM
EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
EF600mm f/4L IS II USM
EF600mm f/4L IS III USM
EF8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
EF11-24mm f/4L USM
EF16-35mm f/2.8L III USM
EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM
EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM
EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
EF-S24mm f/2.8 STM
EF-S35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

When the Shutter Mode is set to [Electronic]During continuous shooting, if the following conditions are satisfied, high-speed continuous shooting (maximum burst of 20 shots per sec.) is performed.

• The lens is set to maximum aperture except for when using an EF-S lens*.
*For details on the lenses, see "List of lenses that the continuous shooting speed of max. approx. 20 fps less likely to decrease".

• The continuous shooting speed may change in response to the shutter speed, aperture, aperture status during continuous shooting, subject conditions, brightness (shooting in a dark environment, etc.), type of lens, etc.
List of lenses that the continuous shooting speed of max. approx. 20 fps less likely to decrease This is the list of lenses that the continuous shooting speed of max. approx. 20 fps is less likely to decrease (as of July 2020).

RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
RF28-70mm F2 L USM
EF14mm f/2.8L II USM
EF20mm f/2.8 USM
EF24mm f/1.4L II USM
EF28mm f/1.8 USM
EF35mm f/1.4L USM
EF50mm f/1.2L USM
EF50mm f/1.4 USM
EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
EF85mm f/1.8 USM
EF100mm f/2 USM
EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF135mm f/2L USM
EF135mm f/2L USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF135mm f/2L USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF200mm f/2.8L II USM
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF300mm f/4L IS USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF300mm f/4L IS USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM
EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM
EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF400mm f/5.6L USM
EF400mm f/5.6L USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF400mm f/5.6L USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF500mm f/4L IS USM
EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
EF500mm f/4L IS II USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF600mm f/4L IS USM
EF600mm f/4L IS II USM
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
EF16-35mm f/2.8L III USM
EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
EF17-40mm f/4L USM
EF24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM
EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF70-200mm f/4L USM
EF70-200mm f/4L USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF70-200mm f/4L USM + Extender EF2.0x III
EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM
EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM + Extender EF1.4x III
EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
EF70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x + Extender EF1.4x III
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x + Extender EF2.0x III
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x: With built-in Ext.1.4x + Extender EF1.4x III
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x: With built-in Ext.1.4x + Extender EF2.0x III

Back