Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Any wedding shooters going for the R6 over the R5? I shoot on two bodies and my 5Dmkiv's need replacing very soon so I have to buy 2 bodies. 8k+ is a lot compared 5k for the R6. I probably won't miss the resolution, but will I miss the top LCD and would like the high res EVF? Video features doesn't concern me as I wont use them.

Any wedding shooters going for the R6 over the R5? I shoot on two bodies and my 5Dmkiv's need replacing very soon so I have to buy 2 bodies. 8k+ is a lot compared 5k for the R6. I probably won't miss the resolution, but will I miss the top LCD and would like the high res EVF? Video features doesn't concern me as I wont use them.

why not one of each ;)

It has crossed my mind but i use each body equally, and hated shooting on one mkiv and one mkiii before. Plus it means i can buy 2 R6's and a lens and have change from the same price as 2 x R6.

I went from dual 5D4 to dual A73. If I am going back to Canon I would opt for the R6.

1 - I don’t miss the top down LCD from the 5D4.
2 - CF Express is very expensive to buy. I gather you shoot dual cards, so dual SD card is much preferred
3 - If the A73 EVF is fine, then the R6 would be too.

It has crossed my mind but i use each body equally, and hated shooting on one mkiv and one mkiii before. Plus it means i can buy 2 R6's and a lens and have change from the same price as 2 x R6.

if you don't think you will miss the 5D4 resolution then you'll be happy with R6. So far the only real difference I see between the two is the resolution.
we still don't know about base ISO dynamic range.

The R5 is getting all the headlines but I think the R6 will be the real workhorse of the 2. Before, unlike with the 6D, the R6 isn’t gimped like before. The AF is there which is the most important thing. Everything else like top down LCD or EVF will not affect the photo that comes out of it. 20mp is large enough to print on a wedding album so it is the camera for the job.

if you don't think you will miss the 5D4 resolution then you'll be happy with R6. So far the only real difference I see between the two is the resolution.
we still don't know about base ISO dynamic range.

Its quite annoying DR is such a secret, its pretty ridiculous really. From what we know the R6 DR should be the same as the 1dXiii, maybe slightly worse at base?

Its quite annoying DR is such a secret, its pretty ridiculous really. From what we know the R6 DR should be the same as the 1dXiii, maybe slightly worse at base?

I think it'll be good but not class leading. If it was poor one of the reviewers/previewers surely would have been shouting about it by now?

I think it'll be good but not class leading. If it was poor one of the reviewers/previewers surely would have been shouting about it by now?

The bizarre thing is DPR have studio scenes but no DR results, I find that very strange. I dont expect it will be class leading either.

DPreview have have updated their R6 raw gallery with files processed with ACR 12.4 beta if that's any help. LINK

The bizarre thing is DPR have studio scenes but no DR results, I find that very strange. I dont expect it will be class leading either.

Indeed but why all the secrecy?

Don't really need class leading but if it's 1 stop higher than 5D4 or EOS R that'd be more than good enough.

Indeed but why all the secrecy?

Don't really need class leading but if it's 1 stop higher than 5D4 or EOS R that'd be more than good enough.

EXACTLY! It so stupid, they cant change the sensor design now so it makes no difference except maybe to staggering click rates on DPR ;)

The R isnt to bad, only a stop under at base vs Riv. By ISO 160 they are neck and neck.

Last edited:
EXACTLY! It so stupid, they cant change the sensor design now so it makes no difference except maybe to staggering click rates on DPR ;)

The R isnt to bad, only a stop under at base vs Riv. By ISO 160 they are neck and neck.

It's not bad at all. And if R5 is one stop better the gap is closed ;)
I don't think it'll be in real life but I am hoping it'll about half-stop difference.

Pretty good video review which includes comparing the R6 against the R

View: https://youtu.be/5q1Rr3uLl1Y

That was a great review. Really nicely done. It almost makes you like YouTube :)

I've just traded in my 5DIV and ordered an R6 today. I'm really excited to get my hands on this camera. It suits me much better than the R5 and the way I intend to use it is for animal/birds so the eye focus looks great.

That was a great review. Really nicely done. It almost makes you like YouTube :)

I've just traded in my 5DIV and ordered an R6 today. I'm really excited to get my hands on this camera. It suits me much better than the R5 and the way I intend to use it is for animal/birds so the eye focus looks great.

You are extremely lucky, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the camera with using your existing glass, as well as any pictures that you put up, as no disrespect to reviewers or Canon ambassadors etc, it will be sincerely interesting to hear from a general user, which I think the majority of us are on here.

So no better than an existing camera that’s been out a while and has more MP’s ?

Considering we were expecting it to be below par compared to Sony sensors, this is a good result.
I am still not sure about the "noise reduction" indicators on the graph.... does it mean it will have less details in shadows? Anyway something to find out.

As mentioned by twist below DR hasn't changed a lot for a while.

The R2/R3/R4 all perform the same. Why do you think MP effects DR?

MP does affect it slightly especially at higher ISOs. You can see how bad the 5DSR is. Sony got over it with a BSI architecture. I am not sure how canon is dealing with it on R5.

All in all I am pleased with the initial results. I will wait for DPR to do their tests and more importantly provide samples but having played with their RAWs already I think I know what to expect.

Can one of you canon folks explain to be how canon RAWs work in terms of compression? I assume they will have uncompressed option but do they offer lossless compression?

Getting some feedback about battery life in r5. Well over a thousand shots in the old battery.

That is great to hear, it seems that the CIPA rating is highly inaccurate again. Will be interesting to hear about the old battery on the R6.

Considering we were expecting it to be below par compared to Sony sensors, this is a good result.
I am still not sure about the "noise reduction" indicators on the graph.... does it mean it will have less details in shadows? Anyway something to find out.

As mentioned by twist below DR hasn't changed a lot for a while.

MP does affect it slightly especially at higher ISOs. You can see how bad the 5DSR is. Sony got over it with a BSI architecture. I am not sure how canon is dealing with it on R5.

All in all I am pleased with the initial results. I will wait for DPR to do their tests and more importantly provide samples but having played with their RAWs already I think I know what to expect.

Can one of you canon folks explain to be how canon RAWs work in terms of compression? I assume they will have uncompressed option but do they offer lossless compression?

The difference is pretty much non existent though, below is the 24mp Z6 (Green) v 61mp of A7riv. The older Canon sensors just arent to hot with DR. But comparing current gen...

dr3.JPG

Take aways...

Best IBIS of all FF - 8 stops RF and 6 stops EF adapted
DR is on par with Sonys best
ISO is again one of the best
Overheats internally with high quality 4k and 8k, Atomos external will give over an hour with no overheat warning
Fast sensor readout electronic shutter
64GB CFexpress RAW 8K = 3min recording time :eek:
30min recording per clip
Dual pixel II looks impressive
Rolling shutter decent
IMO the 24-105 looks really good judging by the samples, renders a nice image

I guess if you want longer video clips at the highest quality then you get an Atomos or you buy an A7siii (also some reports of overheating, wait and see suppose).

Last edited:
I’ve said it before, whilst I do like that website, at the risk of being boring, it should really line cameras up by the sensor plane.
Nah, it’s about the size of the camera hence the name of the website, if there were lined up on the sensor plane it would be harder to compare the overall size at a glance (y)

Take aways...

Best IBIS of all FF - 8 stops RF and 6 stops EF adapted
DR is on par with Sonys best
ISO is again one of the best
Overheats internally with high quality 4k and 8k, Atomos external will give over an hour with no overheat warning
Fast sensor readout electronic shutter
64GB CFexpress RAW 8K = 3min recording time :eek:
30min recording per clip
Dual pixel II looks impressive
Rolling shutter decent
IMO the 24-105 looks really good judging by the samples, renders a nice image

I guess if you want longer video clips at the highest quality then you get an Atomos or you buy an A7siii (also some reports of overheating, wait and see suppose).

All in all I am mostly sold.

At moment I am really hoping tamron and sigma support RF soon. If I switch I'd really miss the tamron 70-180mm tbh.

All in all I am mostly sold.

At moment I am really hoping tamron and sigma support RF soon. If I switch I'd really miss the tamron 70-180mm tbh.
The RF looks great, the system needs more lenses before I’ll show any interest (y)

Back