Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Got mine from e-infinity , couldnt fine the adapter anywhere in stock, ended up buying one from e-infinity for £129 2 weeks later!

Just filled out the cps claim form, i expect it to fail though as its import. But you never know!
I bought the RF 70-200 from e-infinity and Canon have just authorised the cashback deal on that so you should be okay.

I’ve found WEX to be a lot more hassle to use in recent times. I don’t think they’re quite as good since they’ve expanded their amount of stores.

Their Part Ex department can be a right PITA to get response via emails.

I have to say I've not found that. They've always been really fast and fair with me. I keep waiting for them to do downhill as they get bigger but so far I've been impressed as ever with them. Just at the moment all the Canon UK dealers seem to be deluged by demand. Good for them though a long wait for us :)

I'm not sure what they do, might give them a call tomorrow to see what's going on or any update, I've used Wex many times and never had a problem with them, although on this occasion the lack of response to email etc has been wanting I'm afraid.

They sold mine right away. I was keeping it for the R6 but ended up buying other stuff during the waiting time :rolleyes:

I have to say I've not found that. They've always been really fast and fair with me. I keep waiting for them to do downhill as they get bigger but so far I've been impressed as ever with them. Just at the moment all the Canon UK dealers seem to be deluged by demand. Good for them though a long wait for us :)

Yeah I’ve always found their customer service overall top notch. It’s just those few mishaps that have happened.

Maybe it’s just that certain department a bit more ‘snowed under’ than the rest :)

Both occasions have been sorted out real quick (and efficiently) when I’ve called to point them out though.
So it’s nothing that would stop me using them.

I’ve just had quite an interesting experience. I decided to setup the R5 as a webcam today for some of my video conferences. I figured that as O wasn’t actually recording footage, but instead just piping it out, that the overheating issue wouldn’t apply. I was wrong. Just had the warning flash up 43 minutes in.

More testing needed.

I’ve just had quite an interesting experience. I decided to setup the R5 as a webcam today for some of my video conferences. I figured that as O wasn’t actually recording footage, but instead just piping it out, that the overheating issue wouldn’t apply. I was wrong. Just had the warning flash up 43 minutes in.

More testing needed.

What video mode where you using?
I'm using my R and the RF 50mm 1.2 for my video conferencing, haven't tried the R5 yet.

I got a small rig bracket too

and it's great but I do wish that they'd extend it beyond the battery door as they did with the EOS R

was a good pinkie rest

Dave

Looking for help on another issue too. Outside of facedetect+tracking I can't move the single point AF box with the joystick. I've reset the camera to default just in case I did something in the menu, still the same any thoughts?

Last edited:
Looking for help on another issue too. Outside of facedetect+tracking I can't move the single point AF box with the joystick. I've reset the camera to default just in case I did something in the menu, still the same any thoughts?
Had the same issue. You have to set it as a custom function. It's buried at the end of the custom menu. Don't have camera to hand to specify exactly but its at the very bottom under customise buttons.

Something else that isn't enabled by default on the R5 is sensor cleaning when you switch the camera on/off - I'm sure you were all wondering about that :whistle:

Question on ibis. With ef lenses does it detect the focal length or is there somewhere you need to manually dial this in? Im assuming the former.

I bought the RF 70-200 from e-infinity and Canon have just authorised the cashback deal on that so you should be okay.

I just had an email from Canon declining my claim for the EF-RF adapter after buying an R5 from e-infinity. Annoying! Oh well.

'Thank you very much for sending us your application for the CPS EOS R REWARD OFFER. We have been working on your claim, but unfortunately we can’t complete it. The specific reason is because: The product was purchased from a non-authorised retailer. Should you wish to check authorised retailers, click here.'

I just had an email from Canon declining my claim for the EF-RF adapter after buying an R5 from e-infinity. Annoying! Oh well.

'Thank you very much for sending us your application for the CPS EOS R REWARD OFFER. We have been working on your claim, but unfortunately we can’t complete it. The specific reason is because: The product was purchased from a non-authorised retailer. Should you wish to check authorised retailers, click here.'

Sorry to hear that... odd that the cashback offer was approved. Mind you, it hasn't hit my bank account yet!
Just had a look and they're not on the list of approved retailers so maybe it was approved in error? Although I did notice that Aldi is an approved retailer :LOL::LOL:

Right. Can some kind soul put my mind at rest, or alternatively, worry me some more?

I've ordered the R5 from Panamoz and it's arriving tomorrow apparently. I save about £500 ( though won't get the adaptor ) doing this but I'm still worried. The camera is guaranteed for 3 years and I've heard from a lot of people happy with Panamoz but I'm still sightly apprehensive. What happens if there's a recall for some issue or other - it's not unheard of and I assume it wold be covered by guarantee but will it?

I could cancel this order ( it would cost me £20 ) and start again with WEX and honestly, I'd prefer to go Canon UK route but WEX say it will be - at a guess - a minimum of "several weeks" before it arrives through them.

I'm slightly queasy and in a bit of a quandary. I'm 85% sure it will be fine Also I'm aware that there is no actual recall and I'm assuming Panamoz would pay for any recall work needing doing under warranty.

Hmmmm. Any shrinks in the building?

Right. Can some kind soul put my mind at rest, or alternatively, worry me some more?

I've ordered the R5 from Panamoz and it's arriving tomorrow apparently. I save about £500 ( though won't get the adaptor ) doing this but I'm still worried. The camera is guaranteed for 3 years and I've heard from a lot of people happy with Panamoz but I'm still sightly apprehensive. What happens if there's a recall for some issue or other - it's not unheard of and I assume it wold be covered by guarantee but will it?

I could cancel this order ( it would cost me £20 ) and start again with WEX and honestly, I'd prefer to go Canon UK route but WEX say it will be - at a guess - a minimum of "several weeks" before it arrives through them.

I'm slightly queasy and in a bit of a quandary. I'm 85% sure it will be fine Also I'm aware that there is no actual recall and I'm assuming Panamoz would pay for any recall work needing doing under warranty.

They offer a 3 year warranty, I only got 1 year with E-Infinity and I've shopped with them for years.
Rest easy and get excited for what is about to be delivered. :)

I would suggest if the camera is subject to a recall Canon wont care where you bought the camera from. Certainly the case with Nikon and a grey camera i bought.

Just back from a week of photography where I really got to test out the R5 in the areas I really wanted to see what it can do. I wanted to know how well the electronic shutter would actually work for the areas of photography where I usually take a lot of photos. I've taken well over 20,000 images on the electronic shutter now and have a very good idea of what to expect. I've also learned a lot about the way the camera works. Hopefully someone might find some of the info interesting.
All the images are just straight auto settings Photoshop converts and were all taken at the full 45mp and using CRAW to see what to expect when using that. No crops.

I was deliberately trying to see how the electronic shutter would work with strong vertical lines in the images when panning past. This is about as bad as I could get.
R5 + RF 100-500 at 300mm, F18 1/80sec.

i-hRWpnCN-XL.jpg

Another example.
R5 + RF100-500 at 238mm, F22 and 1/40sec
i-5TdjW6N-XL.jpg

One final one
R5 + RF100-500 + RF1.4 Tcon at 700mm, 1/100 sec, F14
i-5WkX3vP-XL.jpg

Finish with just a general pic.
Taken at 45 mp but cropped in post to approx APS-C size. Once again electronic shutter and CRAW.
R5 + RF100-500 + 1.4 Tcon at 700mm. 1/250 sec, F10 ISO 640
i-qnLrxtX-XL.jpg

Cheers
Gary

Just back from a week of photography where I really got to test out the R5 in the areas I really wanted to see what it can do. I wanted to know how well the electronic shutter would actually work for the areas of photography where I usually take a lot of photos. I've taken well over 20,000 images on the electronic shutter now and have a very good idea of what to expect. I've also learned a lot about the way the camera works. Hopefully someone might find some of the info interesting.
All the images are just straight auto settings Photoshop converts and were all taken at the full 45mp and using CRAW to see what to expect when using that. No crops.

I was deliberately trying to see how the electronic shutter would work with strong vertical lines in the images when panning past. This is about as bad as I could get.
R5 + RF 100-500 at 300mm, F18 1/80sec.

i-hRWpnCN-XL.jpg

Another example.
R5 + RF100-500 at 238mm, F22 and 1/40sec
i-5TdjW6N-XL.jpg

One final one
R5 + RF100-500 + RF1.4 Tcon at 700mm, 1/100 sec, F14
i-5WkX3vP-XL.jpg

Finish with just a general pic.
Taken at 45 mp but cropped in post to approx APS-C size. Once again electronic shutter and CRAW.
R5 + RF100-500 + 1.4 Tcon at 700mm. 1/250 sec, F10 ISO 640
i-qnLrxtX-XL.jpg

Cheers
Gary
Great shots. And how are you finding the 100-500? Are you able to compare it to the 100-400 ii? - apart from the longer length of course :)

The R5 was also given a thorough test with some aviation. Once again, everything taken using the electronic shutter, full 45mp and CRAW.

Typhoon landing at RAF Coningsby.
R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700mm, 1/1250 sec ,F10, ISO 800. Due to balancing on the top of a step ladder to get this shot I always use a slightly higher shutter speed than I normally would.
i-W52NNfs-XL.jpg

I'm normally a single AF point shooter but decided to try making all points active but kept eye control switched off. I was absolutely amazed to see the camera lock straight onto the cockpit every time and stick to it like glue no matter where I placed the aeroplane in the frame. The below is an example where I let the aircraft drift right out to the edge of the frame and the AF point just didn't move off the cockpit.
Full frame shot
R5 + RF 100-500 at 500mm, 1/1000sec, F7.1 and ISO 400.
i-GBxwxqH-XL.jpg

The ability to crop in post is great. Above pic cropped.
i-rNkQsqV-XL.jpg

Just a pic to finish off. Visiting Aviano F16 departing Lakenheath for a late afternoon sortie.
Electronic shutter and CRAW again
R5 + RF100-500 at 500mm, F7.1, 1/1000sec, ISO 320 and slight crop in post.
i-r6tTLCT-XL.jpg

Cheers
Gary

Great shots. And how are you finding the 100-500? Are you able to compare it to the 100-400 ii? - apart from the longer length of course :)

I've taken 10's of thousands of images with the 100-400 Mk2 and the 100-500 is every bit as good if not better with an extra 100mm thrown in for good measure. The 100-500 imo works much better with the 1.4 Tcon attached than the 100-400 did for me. That could be down to the R5 though. I've used the 1.4 Mk3 on the 100-400 Mk2 on the 5D4, 1DMk4 and 7DMk2 and found the AF to be a bit sluggish. Didn't notice that at all with the 100-500 + RF1.4.
The only real negative is the F7.1 aperture but can't really complain about it because I knew what it was before I bought it. I've updated to the latest firmware on the 5R for the 100-500 but I'm not 100% convinced the lens IS and IBIS play nice together when panning.

Cheers
Gary

A bit more R5 info that someone might find useful.
I haven't moved to CFExpress yet so am still using the cards below. These cards when shooting full 45mp and CRAW give a buffer depth of 89 shots.
I also wanted to test the battery life. So really hammering the camera with multiple long bursts and shooting motorsport I was able to get over 6000 images (approx 4hrs shooting) off the battery that came with the camera. Minimal chimping . I did try with a older LPE6N battery and got approx half as many shots to a fully charged battery.
It's very easy to take a lot of shots quickly when using the electronic shutter and I came home with more than double the amount of shots I would normally take with a 7D MK2. You have to keep an eye on your shots remaining in the viewfinder because it's quite easy to think you are still taking shots when you have actually run out of buffer. The buffer counter doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the shooting rate when keeping your finger on the shutter. Noticed a lot that the remaining shots just went from 30 remaining to 0 remaining with nothing in between. The shot counter can also stick on zero for a while then jump straight to 20+ rather than a gradual count up.

cheers
Gary

20200924_104900.jpg

Gary do you have any shots taken with the 100-500mm & 1.4x of aircraft in flight?

I still have my Sigma 150-600mm sport which I want to try with the R5 first but I am interested to see what the Canon lens can do.

A few random pics. All taken with the electronic shutter and CRAW used.

R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700MM, 1/1250 sec, F11 and ISO800
i-8Jrzsft-XL.jpg

R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700mm, F11, 1/1250 sec and ISO 800
i-2sSQpVx-XL.jpg

Very slight crop. R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700mm, 1/1000 sec and F10. Into the sun slightly.
i-V5VRQ3H-XL.jpg

Approx APS-C crop in post.R5 + RF100-500 + RF1.4 Tcon at 700mm. 1/1000 sec , F10 and ISO 800. Slightly into the sun again.
i-TTMPMDM-XL.jpg

cheers
Gary

A few random pics. All taken with the electronic shutter and CRAW used.

R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700MM, 1/1250 sec, F11 and ISO800
i-8Jrzsft-XL.jpg

R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700mm, F11, 1/1250 sec and ISO 800
i-2sSQpVx-XL.jpg

Very slight crop. R5 + RF100-500 + RF 1.4 Tcon at 700mm, 1/1000 sec and F10. Into the sun slightly.
i-V5VRQ3H-XL.jpg

Approx APS-C crop in post.R5 + RF100-500 + RF1.4 Tcon at 700mm. 1/1000 sec , F10 and ISO 800. Slightly into the sun again.
i-TTMPMDM-XL.jpg

cheers
Gary

is that rolling shutter in effect in the 2nd shot?

Does look like it.

Gary, what would you say is an acceptable ISO range on the R5 and did you try pulling out any more detail in the last 2 shots?
(if you don't mind I would appreciate some RAW files of the aircraft pics) ?

Definitely rolling shutter in the 2nd shot . I included the pic to show what it can be like. I didn't shoot any high iso shots but I can't imagine it's any worse than the EOS R which I found very good. I found the R to be better than the 5DMk4 which was better than the Nikon D850. Fingers crossed I'll get the chance to put it through it's paces when I visit Heathrow in November. I'll be spending a lot of time shooting at night while I'm down there.

Cheers
Gary

Definitely rolling shutter in the 2nd shot . I included the pic to show what it can be like. I didn't shoot any high iso shots but I can't imagine it's any worse than the EOS R which I found very good. I found the R to be better than the 5DMk4 which was better than the Nikon D850. Fingers crossed I'll get the chance to put it through it's paces when I visit Heathrow in November. I'll be spending a lot of time shooting at night while I'm down there.

Cheers
Gary

Thanks Gary

Really interesting, now I have the R5 I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 100-500mm today, seeing your shots isn't helping me resist the temptation :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have to admit, I haven't tried the electronic shutter yet but some of your shots look fantastic I do free park run photography (when it returns) so I'd ideally like to use the electronic shutter for that so I'm not eating into the actuations needlessly. In previous tests with the XT3 and EOSR I found as long as I keep my shutter speed to 1/500 the images are more than useable.

Back