Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Thanks Gary

Really interesting, now I have the R5 I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 100-500mm today, seeing your shots isn't helping me resist the temptation :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have to admit, I haven't tried the electronic shutter yet but some of your shots look fantastic I do free park run photography (when it returns) so I'd ideally like to use the electronic shutter for that so I'm not eating into the actuations needlessly. In previous tests with the XT3 and EOSR I found as long as I keep my shutter speed to 1/500 the images are more than useable.
I sort of breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the electronic shutter was going to work for me for the majority of my aviation/motorsport shots. I do a lot of both and can seriously rack up the shutter counts on my cameras. You can definitely see a bit of jello effect going on with fast moving subjects if you take a burst of images then scroll through them fast but when you just single out a frame it looks ok. I think it depends on what each individual can put up with . In the first 3 pics I put up you can clearly see the rolling shutter but it doesn't bother me in them images.
The 100-500 is a pleasure to use .One thing I've found though is it's easier to zoom out to 300mm+ before you take the lens off to attach the teleconverter. It's a pain if you take the lens of first then realise you have to zoom to 300mm with your hands full of other bits of gear before you can put the tcon on.

Gary

I've taken 10's of thousands of images with the 100-400 Mk2 and the 100-500 is every bit as good if not better with an extra 100mm thrown in for good measure. The 100-500 imo works much better with the 1.4 Tcon attached than the 100-400 did for me. That could be down to the R5 though. I've used the 1.4 Mk3 on the 100-400 Mk2 on the 5D4, 1DMk4 and 7DMk2 and found the AF to be a bit sluggish. Didn't notice that at all with the 100-500 + RF1.4.
The only real negative is the F7.1 aperture but can't really complain about it because I knew what it was before I bought it. I've updated to the latest firmware on the 5R for the 100-500 but I'm not 100% convinced the lens IS and IBIS play nice together when panning.

Cheers
Gary

Great, thank you, that’s really useful. Oh dear, I want one of those now too [emoji51]

I sort of breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the electronic shutter was going to work for me for the majority of my aviation/motorsport shots. I do a lot of both and can seriously rack up the shutter counts on my cameras. You can definitely see a bit of jello effect going on with fast moving subjects if you take a burst of images then scroll through them fast but when you just single out a frame it looks ok. I think it depends on what each individual can put up with . In the first 3 pics I put up you can clearly see the rolling shutter but it doesn't bother me in them images.
The 100-500 is a pleasure to use .One thing I've found though is it's easier to zoom out to 300mm+ before you take the lens off to attach the teleconverter. It's a pain if you take the lens of first then realise you have to zoom to 300mm with your hands full of other bits of gear before you can put the tcon on.

Gary

Did you try putting the camera into 1.6x crop mode and effectively shooting at 800mm f11?

@vulcan2912 in my Olympus, you do have to change the IBIS when panning to either auto, or just vertical or just horizontal. Hopefully there is a similar option on the R5, otherwise I can imagine it could work against you.

@vulcan2912 in my Olympus, you do have to change the IBIS when panning to either auto, or just vertical or just horizontal. Hopefully there is a similar option on the R5, otherwise I can imagine it could work against you.
At the minute it's either just on or off. Canon have already released a firmware update for the 100-500 on the R5 due to problems with mode 2 panning. I'm not convinced the problem is 100% fixed.

Cheers
Gary

At the minute it's either just on or off. Canon have already released a firmware update for the 100-500 on the R5 due to problems with mode 2 panning. I'm not convinced the problem is 100% fixed.

Cheers
Gary
Oh that's interesting. Changing the settings in the Oly makes a huge difference to the outcome. Your panning shots you shared looked great.

Although I use another system it was very interesting reading your R5 100/500 views Gary

Rob.

My parcel has arrived from Panamoz today. Amazed by the speed as I only ordered it on Monday night! I've been in agonies of indecision about it and I'm still a bit nervous but hopefully all with be well with it. I am patiently giving it a couple of days to "decontaminate" ( standard procedure in our house as we have high risk people ) which will be the hardest part but I will update as soon as I get my hands on it.

My parcel has arrived from Panamoz today. Amazed by the speed as I only ordered it on Monday night! I've been in agonies of indecision about it and I'm still a bit nervous but hopefully all with be well with it. I am patiently giving it a couple of days to "decontaminate" ( standard procedure in our house as we have high risk people ) which will be the hardest part but I will update as soon as I get my hands on it.

You could use a wipe on it? :)

They sold mine right away. I was keeping it for the R6 but ended up buying other stuff during the waiting time :rolleyes:
Got an email yesterday asking to confirm I accept the trade in quote, as it had gone up by £50, said yes. Lo and behold just had a call to say it's in my local store. Better be worth the wait!

Zenith manufacture a great range of antiviral wipes. We’ve been using them to wipe down anything that comes into the house, including my R5 from Panamoz

I will give it 24 hours then open it up. I believe we have some anti-viral wipes too so .....

I'm not au fait with the grey import thing. Do you insure it for the Canon UK value or grey or does it not matter? I feel I'm making a bit of a meal of this purchase for some reason :oops: :$

The one thing I don’t like about this new range of RF lenses is the external focusing mechanisms. Not sure why but I’ve always preferred internally focusing lenses.

Are there any downsides of externally focusing lenses?

Last edited:
I will give it 24 hours then open it up. I believe we have some anti-viral wipes too so .....

I'm not au fait with the grey import thing. Do you insure it for the Canon UK value or grey or does it not matter? I feel I'm making a bit of a meal of this purchase for some reason :oops: :$

Well I have to admire your patience!! I'd be ripping that box open :ROFLMAO:

From an insurance perspective it's the value which you would have to replace it.
I had an insurance claim for a grey import camera and I showed the insurance company the receipt from E-Infinity and they paid out that amount.

I feel I'm making a bit of a meal of this purchase for some reason :oops: :$

This is normal, I remember when I ordered my first grey body from Panamoz, I spent a whole weekend reading through Trust Pilot reviews, even then I was still extremely nervous.
Since then I have bought probably 10-15k worth of kit from E-Infinity and never had a problem with any.

I know of people who have had a warranty claim with them and they were told to take it to the Canon UK Service Centre and they repaired it, E-Infinity simply refunded the cost. Once the initial manufacturer warranty period runs out then Canon UK will still service or repair for a fixed cost, just as they would a UK model that is out of warranty. In my opinion the risk is in the first 12 months and the big grey importers, E-Infinity and Panamoz, have an excellent track record for this.

Last edited:
I’m currently out shooting with the R5 and I love it.

By pure coincidence my route just happened to take me past my favourite local camera store, and being the friendly chap I am, I had to stop in and say hello. Now I need to tell the wife I bought three more lenses :)

I’m currently out shooting with the R5 and I love it.

By pure coincidence my route just happened to take me past my favourite local camera store, and being the friendly chap I am, I had to stop in and say hello. Now I need to tell the wife I bought three more lenses :)
I think you need to go to the confessions thread as part of your penance...

Two shots from today, nothing special. I blew the highlights in the sky on both and was able to recover a reasonable amount of detail.

I'm still getting used to the button placements after years of Sony kit but I was fairly happy.

162A5983.jpg

162A5986.jpg

and another cat shot for good measure.

162A0048.jpg

Two shots from today, nothing special. I blew the highlights in the sky on both and was able to recover a reasonable amount of detail.

I'm still getting used to the button placements after years of Sony kit but I was fairly happy.

View attachment 293791

View attachment 293792

and another cat shot for good measure.

View attachment 293793

Nice shots. Didn't realise you were in Liverpool.
The wife and I had a walk around Sefton Park yesterday and I took the R5 and the RF 70-200, got some good shots of a squirrel, the tracking was very good. It's made me definitely want the RF 100-500 though, may order it later today.
I'll put some of my shots on Flickr later

Nice shots. Didn't realise you were in Liverpool.
The wife and I had a walk around Sefton Park yesterday and I took the R5 and the RF 70-200, got some good shots of a squirrel, the tracking was very good. It's made me definitely want the RF 100-500 though, may order it later today.
I'll put some of my shots on Flickr later

Born and breed scouser :)

I have the 100-500 on my list but it's a fairly hefty list, so I'm not sure when that's likely to be.

This is an absolute cracker.

Quick question.

On my Sony gear I can go into single point AF, and set a custom button to kick in EyeAF. Is there a way to do this on the R5 (I can't find anything). This would save me switching modes in the menu.

Quick question.

On my Sony gear I can go into single point AF, and set a custom button to kick in EyeAF. Is there a way to do this on the R5 (I can't find anything). This would save me switching modes in the menu.

I thought eyeAF was always "on" like on latest Gen Sonys??

I thought eyeAF was always "on" like on latest Gen Sonys??

That's not my experience. If I go to Spot AF (AF Method) I get a single point AF box to select focus, even with face detect, and EyeAF on, with people priority. No indication of Face or EyeAF identification, and no way I can find to override without going into the menu and changing my AF Method to FaceDetect+Tracking.

Last edited:
That's not my experience. If I go to Spot AF (AF Method) I get a single point AF box to select focus, even with face detect, and EyeAF on, with people priority. With no indication of Face or EyeAF ducted, and no way I can find to override without going into the menu and changing my AF Method to FaceDetect+Tracking.

Hmm.... Interesting, I always thought it worked exactly like Sonys real-time tracking i.e. if it finds a face or eyes in the frame it'll focus on that otherwise it'll just track whatever you pointed towards. Thereby eliminating the need to ever change AF settings or dive into the menus.

This is the way I've configured my R5.

The button on the back right, right next to the star icon, the button to the far right. I have set that to 'AF Point Selection'.
So when I have my eye to the viewfinder I can press that button, move left or right using the front dial and shutter button to select, this way I can switch from single point to tracking quickly.
I have also set the star button next to it to turn eye tracking on or off, as I never use AE lock.
I set the depth of preview button on the front to switch from full to 1.6x crop mode.

Back