Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Was just about to post that video, just watched it - essentially the 100-400 Mk2 is indistinguishable really in terms of IQ. The RF seems to lock AF faster - but really it's not noticeable unless you're doing a direct comparison. There's literally thousandth's of a second in it.

For me I don't really see any point in buying the RF 100-500 unless you require that extra focal length - but then if you're shooting with a high mp Camera such as the R5 you can crop in the extra 100mm and still retain excellent detail.

If money is no object then the RF is the obvious choice, but given the price between the two, I know where my money would go.

Was just about to post that video, just watched it - essentially the 100-400 Mk2 is indistinguishable really in terms of IQ. The RF seems to lock AF faster - but really it's not noticeable unless you're doing a direct comparison. There's literally thousandth's of a second in it.

For me I don't really see any point in buying the RF 100-500 unless you require that extra focal length - but then if you're shooting with a high mp Camera such as the R5 you can crop in the extra 100mm and still retain excellent detail.

If money is no object then the RF is the obvious choice, but given the price between the two, I know where my money would go.

I wouldn't say money is no object but I'm investing in the RF system, I've sold all my EF lenses, including the EF-RF adaptor so I'm 100% in the RF ecosystem now.
I did look at the 100-400mm and give it some real consideration, but I'm now using RF 15-35, 28-70, 70-200, 35 and 50 1.2, may as well add the 100-500 to that.

These are long term investments as I'll be using this glass for years.
I agree there's a big price difference but I think it' worth the extra cost for me. :)

I messaged Clifton Cameras again today, now 4th in their queue for an R5 (10th last week) so the wait is almost over. They said that they are expecting another delivery next week and that the deliveries had been getting larger. Judging by my progress it seems to have been around 6~8 a week up until now.

Just in time for the dark nights and foul weather...

if anyone is interested these are My First shots out of my R5 Taken with a 600f4 X1.4 converter on the weather was very poor on Sunday overcast Sky at f5.6 1600iso 50 % crop in craw then converter into jpg as it was the only way I could do anything with them as my editing software dose not support the c3 files ? I am very happy with the details at the moment as it is early days yet
(1)
0F3A0091 by kevin robinson, on Flickr
(2)
0F3A0097d by kevin robinson, on Flickr

Last edited:
if anyone is interested these are My First shots out of my R5 Taken with a 600f4 X1.4 converter on the weather was very poor on Sunday overcast Sky at f5.6 1600iso 50 % crop in craw then converter into jpg as it was the only way I could do anything with them as my editing software dose not support the c3 files ? I am very happy with the details at the moment as it is early days yet
(1)
0F3A0091 by kevin robinson, on Flickr
(2)
0F3A0097d by kevin robinson, on Flickr

Wow!!!

I don't suppose you do any under floodlights do you? I'd love to know how it is then. Presumably mechanical shutter would be best.

i did a couple of weeks ago but the lights were not great. i was at ISO 12000 or something similar and was using the RP at the time. Potentially go back thursday evening to see how the R6 does at high iso.

i did a couple of weeks ago but the lights were not great. i was at ISO 12000 or something similar and was using the RP at the time. Potentially go back thursday evening to see how the R6 does at high iso.
Ah I was thinking you had the R5 . I'm always at a really high ISO by the end of the night.

I don't suppose you do any under floodlights do you? I'd love to know how it is then. Presumably mechanical shutter would be best.

You'll get banding with the electronic shutter, ideally you should use mechanical shutter and activate the 'Anti Flicker Shooting' in the red menu, this tries to time the shutter in line with the frequency of the lights to avoid the orange colour casting, it works well, my first boxing shoot was awful, each picture had a slightly different white balance, next time I used anti-flicker shooting and the pictures were much better. It will slightly reduce the frame rate in high speed shutter mode though.

Last edited:
Well mine's on its way back to Panamoz! I had a financial commitment due which I hadn't taken into account. Very fortunately, I hadn't opened the package before I realised so it's either a disappointment or a major escape depending on the way you look at it!

Either way I really need to take a bit more inventory :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well mine's on its way back to Panamoz! I had a financial commitment due which I hadn't taken into account. Very fortunately, I hadn't opened the package before I realised so it's either a disappointment or a major escape depending on the way you look at it!

Either way I really need to take a bit more inventory :rolleyes:

Oh no, good job you weren't like me and opened it as soon as it arrived!!
Although I think you can return it within 30 days, did you have to pay the return postage?

Although I think you can return it within 30 days, did you have to pay the return postage?

We have a 14 Day Money Back Guarantee. Just notify us within 14 days of delivery, which is shown on the courier's tracking system. We will arrange with a courier to pick it up from a location of your choice. We will send you a full refund less our shipping and handling fee (20 GBP flat rate). Please note the item has to be in 100% new and unused condition to take advantage of our 14 day money back guarantee.

Kev is it utterly silent, the R5???? If you get in range of something with bloody big fluffy ears,(and anyone else for that matter),could you tell me if they, beasties, can hear the camera, please. What's silent to us might not be to animals i'm deeply curious on this. ;)

Oh mate think the images look fab ,but then they usually do:D

cheers

stu

Kev is it utterly silent, the R5???? If you get in range of something with bloody big fluffy ears,(and anyone else for that matter),could you tell me if they, beasties, can hear the camera, please. What's silent to us might not be to animals i'm deeply curious on this. ;)

Oh mate think the images look fab ,but then they usually do:D

cheers

stu

I was photographing squirrels the other day had it on high speed shutter and it was very silent. Didn't seem too bother the squirrels, I compared it to the R and it is significantly quieter.

I was photographing squirrels the other day had it on high speed shutter and it was very silent. Didn't seem too bother the squirrels, I compared it to the R and it is significantly quieter.

Much better than a little silent

Hi. Yes it's a disappointment but I'm hoping to get a Christmas bonus paid in November and will go ahead then.

Panamoz, so far, have been really great. Very efficient and sympathetic. They picked up and it's en route to HK now. I'm hoping all goes well and I get re-kmbursed speedily. It has cost me £20 but as I say I'm really glad I waited to open it. It has to be unused fior a return.

Last edited:
Yes I did Russ I was struggling at first with it and found it slower than my old 7d 2 a lot to learn with it I think ? Going to full frame as well and losing the distance with it will try it without the converter on next weekend being a one day shooter ?
Very nice Kev I think it's a great Camera it may be a little slower because of the motors in EF lenses compared to the RF motors but it should be more accurate overall once you get your head round the focus system .

Hope you enjoy using it .

Rob.

I hope its soon, You can only claim the free RF-EF adaptor untill 31st Oct on the Canon website.

Hey Paul how ya diddlin'? ,ha I'm still loving that little lens you sold me ..............who knew it's main outings were going to be filming foxes, Kinda fun that,buying a tool for one reason and using it for something I never saw coming..

It's first outing was special though,an afternoon with large blues,50 years a waiting bro;) ha a special day but the buggers don't have wings open much while perched sadly not once did i get a chance,but it was glorious ,thankyou !!

Buddy i've had squigs not react to my DXii, so i'm not sure how to evalutate the reply,I'm thankful for it though :) Really i'm curious about things like fox brock roe hare,stuff that is scatty as hell with sound react . i've learnt that I can use the shutter sound and their inate curiosity as a tool, to draw them to me................but there has always been that deep hankering for them to just not know............... i'm there like me pre camera days.

take care

stu

You'll get banding with the electronic shutter, ideally you should use mechanical shutter and activate the 'Anti Flicker Shooting' in the red menu, this tries to time the shutter in line with the frequency of the lights to avoid the orange colour casting, it works well, my first boxing shoot was awful, each picture had a slightly different white balance, next time I used anti-flicker shooting and the pictures were much better. It will slightly reduce the frame rate in high speed shutter mode though.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

As an example, this album was from a shoot when I wasn't using anti-flicker shooting, look at the different colour cast between images, taken milliseconds apart on high shutter mode

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhanleyphotos/albums/72157711914611571

And this album was taken using anti-flicker shooting, see how the images are all consistent from a colour and white balance perspective?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhanleyphotos/albums/72157711916478313

Last edited:
As an example, this album was from a shoot when I wasn't using anti-flicker shooting, look at the different colour cast between images, taken milliseconds apart on high shutter mode

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhanleyphotos/albums/72157711914611571

And this album was taken using anti-flicker shooting, see how the images are all consistent from a colour and white balance perspective?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhanleyphotos/albums/72157711916478313
That's really interesting. I had completely forgotten I have the anti flicker option on my 5D4 too - it's been a while since I've shot under floodlights and I did used to use it. I've noticed a variation in WB occasionally which has needed some tweaking.

Back