Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I claimed mine on 30th October and got an email yesterday saying it had been validated and would be delivered within 45 days from yesterday so, all in all, Canon are allowing 8 weeks plus for my claim.

Glad I bought one earlier

Last edited:
I claimed mine on 30th October and got an email yesterday saying it had been validated and would be delivered within 45 days from yesterday so, all in all, Canon are allowing 8 weeks plus for my claim.

Glad I bought one earlier
Crazy how bad supply is for these cameras. I have my second R6 just sitting there which i cant use yet. I am tempted to replace my Canon 85 1.2 with the Samyang 85 1.4 RF tho. Anyone tried it?

I guess the world situation is pretty difficult so I'm cutting Canon some slack. I assumed it would be like this so actually bought a control ring adapter months before I got the camera

Has anyone claimed a free EF adaptor from Canon yet? How long do they take?
I applied the day my camera arrived (you have to include the serial number in the application). It took about two weeks to be "processed" on the web site but then arrived within one week.

I did give them a pass but it been nearly 4 months since the announcement. lol.

Yes, they do seem to be overwhelmed by demand at the moment. I'm not sure if these adapters are still easily found for sale. When I looked there were hardly any around and the only one I found in stock was LCE.

got it this afternoon! lovely.

One weirdness though. Why do I get this pattern on some pics? (I've only seen it with the sigma 35 in lowish light, and it's not always there). Is it something I can turn off?

3E5A7946.jpg

When I import it into lightroom, the circles are there in the import screen but as soon as I switch to develop or library it goes:
543A0056.jpg

got it this afternoon! lovely.

One weirdness though. Why do I get this pattern on some pics? (I've only seen it with the sigma 35 in lowish light, and it's not always there). Is it something I can turn off?

View attachment 298887

When I import it into lightroom, the circles are there in the import screen but as soon as I switch to develop or library it goes:
View attachment 298888

I believe the setting is called “lens correction” - it needs to be switched off.

I feel for you Chris ? My mates r5 went kaput after 2weeks and it’s had to go back to canon he as been without it for 2weeks now and told him on Friday it will be another week as canon as been shut down ? that might reflect on why things are slowly coming though ?

after a day playing with the R5, coming from a 5d3 and 7ds, whoooooooah... that resolution is insane! And the focus - crikey.

Don't mind the evf at all but hate the mode dial, and wish there were individual buttons for ISO & Drive (havent tried setting buttons for it yet), am a bit worried about how fragile the hinge on the screen feels - do y'all leave yours open or closed?

It doesnt feel quite as well balanced with heavy glass on as the 5 or 7, and my massive ex-rower hands feel a bit big wrapped around it, has anyone tried the battery grip?

after a day playing with the R5, coming from a 5d3 and 7ds, whoooooooah... that resolution is insane! And the focus - crikey.

Don't mind the evf at all but hate the mode dial, and wish there were individual buttons for ISO & Drive (havent tried setting buttons for it yet), am a bit worried about how fragile the hinge on the screen feels - do y'all leave yours open or closed?

It doesnt feel quite as well balanced with heavy glass on as the 5 or 7, and my massive ex-rower hands feel a bit big wrapped around it, has anyone tried the battery grip?
Yes I prefer always with a battery grip. Easier for me to hold and better for portrait orientation.

The tilt screens are extremely robust, and their hinges. I imagine there's a lot of FF DSLR users who have never used them before and worried about them but I've exclusively only ever had DSLRs with them. When I first got my 700D I couldn't understand why FF Cameras didn't have them, the 1DX series yes, as they're predominantly aimed at Sports and Wildlife where you're shooting through the viewfinder, but the 5D series should have had them. It seemed like it should have been the other way around to me - pay less money and don't get the screen, pay more and get a tilt screen!

Canon obviously came to this same thought process too anyway, I'm glad they did, I always use LV when composing for my Landscape Photography.

With respect to EF lens adaptors, I actually already have the control ring adaptor, I ordered it at the same time as the R5 (late July) and despite it showing as out of stock it arrived the following day. I only have the one EF lens left. Therefore, when the Canon freebie arrives it will be going straight in the classifieds, at cost +p&p (no scalping).

I ordered 3x77mm and 1x82mm from Amazon. Looks like I could have saved a few quid with Bristol Cameras, although they wanted £10 delivery.

I've decided to sell my RF 28-70 and will replace it with the RF 24-70 so when I get that I'll just need another 82mm protector.

Hi Paul

How are you finding the Canon Protect Filters? Have they solved your sharpness issues?

Im finding that my old EF L glass isn’t that great on the new R cameras and they all have Hoya Pro filters on them. I’m wondering whether that may be the issue!

My RF 100-500 is now superb since switching filter from Hoya Pro to Canon Protect.

Thx.

Ive now done around 5000 shots on the R6. This thing is unreal. The focus speed on what is an odd lens for focusing, the 50 1.2 has been amazing. I would say probably 1% are missed focus and some are probably down to user error. I've given up waiting on an adaptor so I've bought a Samyang 85mm 1.4 RF to try, as I have a wedding Friday and like shooting two cameras usually with an 85 1.2.

Hi Paul

How are you finding the Canon Protect Filters? Have they solved your sharpness issues?

Im finding that my old EF L glass isn’t that great on the new R cameras and they all have Hoya Pro filters on them. I’m wondering whether that may be the issue!

My RF 100-500 is now superb since switching filter from Hoya Pro to Canon Protect.

Thx.

I didn't have any sharpness issues with my lenses, I wasn't using any filter, just the lens hood.
After reading a few posts on here though I thought the Canon Protect Filters were a good investment.

I've taken a few pics with them on and can't see any difference to images taken without the filter so I'm really happy, I have the peace of mind that the element is protected when I'm outside.

I didn't have any sharpness issues with my lenses, I wasn't using any filter, just the lens hood.
After reading a few posts on here though I thought the Canon Protect Filters were a good investment.

I've taken a few pics with them on and can't see any difference to images taken without the filter so I'm really happy, I have the peace of mind that the element is protected when I'm outside.

That’s great news. Thanks Paul.

That reassures me to buy a few Canon Protect for my other lenses.

I really do feel that the R mirrorless cameras don’t like my Hoya Pro UV filters.

I now tend to shoot with the back screen closed. The battery lasts so much longer and I don’t keep changing settings in error with my nose!

Im getting used to the button positions so change things using the viewfinder most of the time.

An update yesterday from Wex concerning my order for an R5 placed on 26th August:

Unfortunately we have not received any further updates from Canon regarding the R5 cameras, we are currently chasing them up for information on a regular basis and as soon as we have relevant info for your order we will get in touch.

.....12 weeks and still waiting! Unfortunately I traded my camera in as a Part X deal, so I'm stuck. Lesson learnt!!

Russ

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone knows this but www.ukcameraclub.co.uk are getting stocks of the R5 and 46 every week and mine arrived exactly 1 week from order and they send you the EF adaptor free of charge so you don’t need to wait weeks or months for Canon to send you one.

I'd been considering picking up a used RP and have been watching the mpb site for a while. As new condition ones are on there for £889. Just checked on e-infin and hdew and they're £829 and £839 respectively for a new one. I know they're grey import so selling it on later may be more difficult, but is there any reason to go for used at those prices?

I now tend to shoot with the back screen closed. The battery lasts so much longer and I don’t keep changing settings in error with my nose!

Im getting used to the button positions so change things using the viewfinder most of the time.
Glad to hear that Andrew.. I thought it was just me being old school... I still prefer to use the viewfinder as I find it concentrates my eye for composition. The screen just saves me crawling on the floor or teetering on tip toe for high and low shots... easier on the back and knees :) . It took me a few days out to get used to the buttons from the 5d2 and now intuitive - one great camera.

Last edited:
I'd been considering picking up a used RP and have been watching the mpb site for a while. As new condition ones are on there for £889. Just checked on e-infin and hdew and they're £829 and £839 respectively for a new one. I know they're grey import so selling it on later may be more difficult, but is there any reason to go for used at those prices?

At those prices I’d certainly buy new. Probably from HDEW. I’ve used them in the past. I like that they’re in the UK. Longer warranty too.

Just curious are they a grey dealer. It's a name I'm not familiar with ?
Negative not grey imports, full uk spec products with extended 2 year warranty.delivered from London, James in sales is the most helpful guy I have dealt with in years. If you buy the R5 or R6 from them they send the ef to rf adapter with the camera so no need to wait for canon.

Last edited:
Just curious are they a grey dealer. It's a name I'm not familiar with ?
Negative not grey imports, full uk spec products with extended 2 year warranty.delivered from London, James in sales is the most helpful guy I have dealt with in years. If you buy the R5 or R6 from them they send the ef to rf adapter with the camera so no need to wait for canon.

Although the company is in the UK, and the goods are "to UK specification", I'd be pretty sure these are grey. It doesn't matter to me but some seem worried by that so if anyone is buying from them and has the heebie-jeebies about grey, probably best to clarify directly with them.

Back