Canon EOS R Series Cameras

- the bad news is that Mrs Rustydon (Scrooge!!!) now says it's for Christmas, so it's being wrapped unseen as I write:(

.... Nice of her to buy it for you as a Christmas present then.

Hi James - my R5 arrived this morning (y)(y)(Wex obviously had an earlier delivery than they told me).
- the bad news is that Mrs Rustydon (Scrooge!!!) now says it's for Christmas, so it's being wrapped unseen as I write:(

At least its here!

Russ

That’s good then. Mine is getting (slightly) closer it seems :D

It’s probably a blessing in disguise that it’s taking this long. As I opted to keep hold of my R instead of chopping it in towards it.
So the wait has allowed me to save the majority of the money to get it paid for outright.

7 more sleeps though. Dear me... :)

I spotted a newsfeed that an R7 is due with a crop sensor!

Thought my Christmas had come early when I received an email from WEX to say my R5 was ready for despatch this morning.

So I give them a call, and it turns out it was a momentary stock error :D

- What rotten luck James! - here's hoping for early in the New Year :)

Rudd

Russ... what's your name ???????????????????????? :exit: :ROFLMAO:

I think i'm going to put this one down to excitement mate after all it's been a long wait for you, we were both young when you ordered that camera !! It would be wrong to play the age/ forgetfulness card:LOL:

All the luck with the new toy but try to hang on to your name huh it's kinda important:D

merry chrimbo mate

stu

Russ... what's your name ???????????????????????? :exit: :ROFLMAO:
- definitely age, and a touch of the old sausage fingers Stu! Well spotted mate :)
- Only 3 more sleeps now before I get my hands on that Canon masterpiece - that's assuming Santa gives me the camera for Christmas, and doesn't make me wait until my birthday in January :(

You have a great Christmas, mate - keep safe, and keep believing in a better 2021 for all of us (y)

Russ

That’s good then. Mine is getting (slightly) closer it seems :D

It’s probably a blessing in disguise that it’s taking this long. As I opted to keep hold of my R instead of chopping it in towards it.
So the wait has allowed me to save the majority of the money to get it paid for outright.

7 more sleeps though. Dear me... :)
I would ask the missus to charge the battery, do the firmware update and throw in a cfexpress card as a stocking filler or you'll have a busy / expensive Xmas morning....[emoji106]

Oops might have replied to the wrong post....but you get my drift....
- your advice was possibly for me, Peter? I have a 64 GB CF Express card and an EF/R mount adapter already, and my spare LP-E6NH battery is already on charge, so I must do a firmware update asap on the 25th. Can't wait!

Russ :)

Last edited:
Yes it was Russ.....I got mine Monday and the weather has been awful so haven’t had a proper try out yet.....believe tomorrow looks better......almost choked when I saw how much the cfexpress cards were, but one came up on here last week and the seller lived 5 mins from me....

it’s a thing of beauty for sure and my ef lenses work fine on the adapter....the firmware won’t take 10 minutes....think you will love it.....

Yes it was Russ.....I got mine Monday and the weather has been awful so haven’t had a proper try out yet.....believe tomorrow looks better......almost choked when I saw how much the cfexpress cards were, but one came up on here last week and the seller lived 5 mins from me....

it’s a thing of beauty for sure and my ef lenses work fine on the adapter....the firmware won’t take 10 minutes....think you will love it.....

Had me worried for a minute.

It’s bad enough having the government telling me what to do every 5 minutes. Let alone gaining a ‘significant other half’ to spend money on rather than my hobby :D

Had my R6 repaired by Canon before Christmas. Quick turn around and quick payment by Panamoz too. Cost for repair was £105 including shipping back.

I've taken over 20,000 shots now easily with R6's and I'm super happy with them. They work flawlessly with my ef L lenses and the the new Samyang 85mm RF is lovely too. I can see my trading in my 85 1.2L. Still waiting on my free adaptor to

Had my R6 repaired by Canon before Christmas. Quick turn around and quick payment by Panamoz too. Cost for repair was £105 including shipping back.

I've taken over 20,000 shots now easily with R6's and I'm super happy with them. They work flawlessly with my ef L lenses and the the new Samyang 85mm RF is lovely too. I can see my trading in my 85 1.2L. Still waiting on my free adaptor to
What was wrong with it, my adapter got declined on the import R6

I am not a computer technical by any means but Have I read somewhere about Problems with the Colour profile of the R5 it might be me but I have noticed a difference in my pics ? but Their again I have come a big jump from the 7d2 ? as anyone else

I am not a computer technical by any means but Have I read somewhere about Problems with the Colour profile of the R5 it might be me but I have noticed a difference in my pics ? but Their again I have come a big jump from the 7d2 ? as anyone else
I noticed a difference with the R. I really did not like the colours I was getting compared to other Canon cameras I have had, and set myself up profiles to change them. I am liking the colours out of my R5 which seem to me to be more like my 5D4, though I haven't tried a direct comparison.
I felt the colours out of my R had a slightly yellow tinge.

Last edited:
Well, after what seems like months since I got to go out with my R5, especially since it died and had to be resuscitated by Canon, I finally got out today.
Went for a walk around New Brighton promenade in The Wirral, took the R5, RF 50mm f/1.2, RF 15-35mm f/2.8 and the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 (tried to take a few with each lens).

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTeyNGV

Well, after what seems like months since I got to go out with my R5, especially since it died and had to be resuscitated by Canon, I finally got out today.
Went for a walk around New Brighton promenade in The Wirral, took the R5, RF 50mm f/1.2, RF 15-35mm f/2.8 and the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 (tried to take a few with each lens).

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTeyNGV
Hi Paul. Is that the standard colour profile you were using? Do you notice any difference in the colours? Looks like you had a good day out.

Hi Paul. Is that the standard colour profile you were using? Do you notice any difference in the colours? Looks like you had a good day out.
Yeah, standard profile, only just realised because I edited these in Lightroom on my MacBook Pro rather than my iMac, it doesn't have the R5 colour fidelity profile installed. I'll try and change them today and see what difference it makes.

Not sure if you'll be able to tell with the images on here so I'll put the 2 files on Flickr, I think the R5 Color Fidelity profile looks better in Lightroom.
Both images have had the same contrast, clarity, vibrance and colour edits. The only difference is the colour profile used by Lightroom.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTf5Zbm

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 45
  • colour fidelity.jpg
    colour fidelity.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Ah, I love my R! Previously, my main camera was a 5D. Got the R last year (2019), quickly in love. The flex mode is probably one of my favorite things in it. And the great ISO. And the ease to change settings on the fly.

Not sure if you'll be able to tell with the images on here so I'll put the 2 files on Flickr, I think the R5 Color Fidelity profile looks better in Lightroom.
Both images have had the same contrast, clarity, vibrance and colour edits. The only difference is the colour profile used by Lightroom.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTf5Zbm
I prefer the standard profile, Great colours in that scene. What is the fidelity profile you mention? Is that one you've set up yourself?

I set profiles up for my R. I've now moved from Lightroom to Photolab and have been very happy with the default colours on the R5, or whatever jiggery pokery is in the Photolab Optics modules.

Loving the R5 - my best wild kingfisher pic today in 3 or 4 years of trying. Next, one with the kingfisher in action, that could take a few more years!
6G9A8814 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/131308896@N02/
Lovely detailed shots! Such gorgeous coloured birds. With your 600mm again?

I prefer the standard profile, Great colours in that scene. What is the fidelity profile you mention? Is that one you've set up yourself?

I set profiles up for my R. I've now moved from Lightroom to Photolab and have been very happy with the default colours on the R5, or whatever jiggery pokery is in the Photolab Optics modules.

Lovely detailed shots! Such gorgeous coloured birds. With your 600mm again?

Thanks 600 + 1.4TC for the sitting birds IS is helping a lot, this one was 1/250th.

Thanks 600 + 1.4TC for the sitting birds IS is helping a lot, this one was 1/250th.
That's impressive - handheld?

I've set mine up for the double back button focusing which works really well. I noticed an odd thing the other day. I focused on a squirrel about 20m away, then I switched to the bird feeder 10m away. It wouldn't focus with the ordinary C-Af, but it would when I used the eye Af, even though there were no birds on it. I was able to repeat it - it just wouldn't find the feeder with the ordinary C-Af. I know mirrorless can be odd - my R wouldn't focus on purely horizontal lines and I suspect the R5 is the same.

That's impressive - handheld?

I've set mine up for the double back button focusing which works really well. I noticed an odd thing the other day. I focused on a squirrel about 20m away, then I switched to the bird feeder 10m away. It wouldn't focus with the ordinary C-Af, but it would when I used the eye Af, even though there were no birds on it. I was able to repeat it - it just wouldn't find the feeder with the ordinary C-Af. I know mirrorless can be odd - my R wouldn't focus on purely horizontal lines and I suspect the R5 is the same.

Handheld from underneath with a monopod, I tried on a gimbal but that was not mobile enough. Occasionally I was able to extend and rest the monopod on the ground. I'm using back button focus with eye AF, I've not encountered the problem you describe. What is double back button focus?

Ah that makes sense. I'd never be able to hold a 600mm, but because you mentioned IS I thought you must be handholding.
What is double back button focus?
Well I'm not sure if that's what you'd call it, but I've set the usual Af-On button to back button focus C-Af, and then I've set the * button to Eye-Af. I've set the third button up to change the shape/size of the focus points (jury still out on this one). I can use my thumb to quickly change between C-Af and Eye-Af. I've put the animal/people eye Af setting into my favourites menu so hopefully set that up beforehand. So far I'm loving this set up though I have accidentally changed the focus point shape a couple of times.

Ah that makes sense. I'd never be able to hold a 600mm, but because you mentioned IS I thought you must be handholding.

Well I'm not sure if that's what you'd call it, but I've set the usual Af-On button to back button focus C-Af, and then I've set the * button to Eye-Af. I've set the third button up to change the shape/size of the focus points (jury still out on this one). I can use my thumb to quickly change between C-Af and Eye-Af. I've put the animal/people eye Af setting into my favourites menu so hopefully set that up beforehand. So far I'm loving this set up though I have accidentally changed the focus point shape a couple of times.
Didn’t know you could do that..........by third button do you mean the af point select button as in third button along....? Is it all under your standard set up or one of the custom set ups?

Back